XPEnology Community

DSM 6 Baremetal/Virtual/ESXi Install Guides

jamieboy05

I have read through the pages and pages of posts on both DSM 6 posts and have attempted to install DSM 6 myself but can never seem to get it to work. I know my hardware is supported, but when I try to troubleshoot the posts jump around so much and there are so many of them that I definitely get lost. I've successfully installed and ran an Xpenology box for the last 4 years, watched the forums religiously, and am familiar with the process for installing, this one is a different.

I'm hella grateful for all the hard work of the developers, and understand the difficulty in patching software. And definitely think it's crap that Synology has gotten away (thus far) with not releasing they're source code. The xpenology developers have definitely saved me a boatload with the 9 cam surveillance station ($0) I have setup and installing it all on hardware that's compatible but significantly cheaper!!

My question is this, would it be easy to put a guide together on how to do a bare metal install of DSM 6? I know they are diligently working, and working hard and I know there's a way to install it. I also think it might cut down on all the "is there a DSM 6 release?" or the "how can I do it posts" from the lazy people. Except this one... [emoji12]Thanks again developers!!

For clarity Jun's dynamic patch works for some popular VM's with UEFI support and Bare Metal on machines with UEFI, systems must be Intel based at this point in time.

Setsunakawa created a modified img using Jun's dynamic patch and it works on bare metal Intel machines which don't support UEFI.

Jun and Setsunakawa both added some additional driver support for some of the more common hardware used by the Xpenology community. :cool:

My post is Gen8 Intel Baremetal Non-UEFI centric because I have first hand knowledge of that method. That said, I think there should be enough info to help others get to the relevant information in the thread that's needed to get up and running, on other hardware.

So, what if I accidently used Setsunakawa's modified img on my Intel UEFI support mobo?

In fact, I did it yesterday night. And now my Asus mobo cannot boot up anymore. All I have is a black blank screen with a cursor at the up left corner. :cry:

Why???

Thanks.