XPEnology Community

Develop and refine the DVA1622 loader

Confirming Redpill DVA1622 DSM 7.2-64561 image working fine with both bare metal and under ESXi.  Used standard tutorials although on ESXi I had no suitable GPU for local display so I did some mods to silence all the error reports in the system logs.

Kudos to team.

Details:

• ESXi 7 running on HP Microserver Gen 8 - Xeon E3-1265Lv2, 6GB VM (also worked fine with only 2GB)
    • Didn't have suitable GPU for passthrough so no local display or deep analytics
    • Flies, stays under 2% CPU most of the time
    • Mem usage stays very low
    • 5 cameras
  • HP ProDesk 400 G4, i5-7500, 12GB
    • 100% working, local display (Intel 630 native) and AI
    • CPU sitting at ~7% with one AI task running on a 1080p/20fps feed
    • Also feels responsive
    • Disable secure boot in BIOS to boot redpill USB

image.png.2e1d08732784ae90384e19703fe07996.pngimage.png.4923edd66f65b7c2759173f17c87f962.png

Edited scemd.conf and kernel.conf to remove usual log noise (complaints about synbios writes, iotcl, invalid parameters) - most of those the usual reasons like lack of LEDs, fans and serial port and easy to quench with filters in /etc.defaults/syslog-ng/patterndb.d.

On ESXi due to lack of GPU, I saw deep video analytics (dvad) and face analytics (faced) kept crashing, and restarting every second - these were flooding the logs.  Disabling the daemons doesn't really help since the watchdog keeps trying to restart them and will complain if it can't.  The watchdog seems hardcoded with the process names to look for (the /tmp/*.pids actually) so there wasn't an obvious config file to tell it to ignore dvad and faced.  A trick that worked was (at boot) run a script that fools the watchdog that the daemons were running - my script copies /tmp/dvaadapter.pid to /tmp/dvad.pid and /tmp/faceadapter.pid to /tmp/faced.pid, which is sufficient to make their watchdog think the AI daemons are up and stop complaining.  That gets ESXi without Intel GPU happy with no log or crashing churn.

The bare metal HP is running sweet.  Nothing much to do there except filter out 'get empty ttyS' and some led_brightness messages due to lack of serial port.

Edited by lightyear
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, billa786165 said:

@lightyear thats a great solution to stop getting these errors. I am running it on proxmox. Can you share your script?

Sure, I really appreciate the hard work here and happy to share...

First locate the existing daemons that are crashing.  The two I saw crashing and restarting constantly are synodvad and synofaced, since I had no suitable GPU for passthrough.  The path will depend on your volume name but in my case the first one is here:

/volume1/@appstore/SurveillanceStation/synodva/bin

Move the existing synodvad binary out of the way (I just used 'mv' to rename them with a back up suffix).

Now put script in its place, make sure you give them execute privs, e.g. chmod ugo+x.  You can do this as root but you should do a chown and chgrp to make them appear as 'SurveillanceStation' although it was not necessary.

Script for synodvad:

#!/bin/sh

# fool watchdog with another pid
cp /tmp/dvaadapter.pid /tmp/dvad.pid

Repeat for faced, found here for me:

/volume1/@appstore/SurveillanceStation/synoface/bin/synofaced/bin

And a script for faced

#!/bin/sh

# fool watchdog with another pid
cp /tmp/faceadapter.pid /tmp/faced.pid

It won't make AI work but this stopped these processes constantly dumping a core and the syno watchdog restarting them constantly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billa786165 said:

@lightyear successfully done. Thank you so much for this.

Also did you try to run dva1622 under proxmox or esxi with AI working?

2. How to stop getting out "get empty ttys" 

My ESXi doesn't have a GPU that will work and I'm using its pcie slot for a raid card.  Others have got it working though, although the 1622 image is only expecting an Intel 630 integrated GPU so as long as you have a compatible CPU with that you should be able to pass the iGPU thru.   If you are wanting more than a couple of AI tasks you should be looking at the 3221 + Nvidia GTX 1650 route, although that's a big hot beast in comparison.

Regarding (2), have a search about syslog-ng filtering.  Depending on what you are installing on, different people will get different errors in their syslog logs, depending how close your hw matches a real box, but you need something like my parp2 rule:

image.thumb.png.7abf5cdcf23a5af610e062ab245d807a.png

This is a kernel message so controlled by kernel.conf.   I typically edit this in /etc.defaults/syslog-ng/patterndb.d and copy to /etc/syslog-ng/patterndb.d and restart the syslog-ng daemon, although doing it in the default folder and rebooting will also do it.

You normally have some complaints in scemd.conf too you have to filter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, teslaweiler said:

Hi everybody,

Could you please tell me, if intel 640, 650,650 & 655 graphic with work with AI on Dva1622?

thank you all

Intel iGPUs are reccomended for building  DVA1622 (with AI support)
Gen9 architecture (Tier = GT1 & GT2) => Sky lake / Apollo Lake 
or 
Gen9.5 architecture (Tier = GT1 & GT1.5 & GT2) => Kaby Lake / Kaby Lake Refresh / Amber Lake / Coffee Lake / Coffee Lake Refresh / Whiskey Lake / Comet Lake / Gemini Lake / Gemini Lake Refresh

Edited by Zhyryrk
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, mitch55 said:

Hi, 

Xpenology DVA1622 is installed with Proxmox on a HP Proliant Gen 8 (Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2) without GPU.

If I change CPU for Intel Xeon E3-1265L v2 (with integrated iGPU), does AI could work?

Nope, cpu generation is old as well as igpu, lowest igpu needed for AI/DVA is HD500 if not mistaken, some reported working on 4400 but I doubt that. 

P.S. in my personal experience HD530 worked with AI perfectly (its i3-6100T cpu) so lower than that probably won't work with AI. Your Xeon is like i7-3770 which 3 gens older than needed unfortunately 

Edited by dimakv2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mitch55 said:

So no chance to have Ai works on my gen8?

Sorry, but no. DVA3221/DVA3219 require MOVBE/AVX2 to even boot into DSM which your cpu doesn't have and DVA1622 requires Skylake minimum for AI to work.

Your best bet is to buy  cpu/mobo for example J4105/J4115/J4125 SoC (about 100$ new and then you can use for dva3221 with nvidia gpu or dva1622 with igpu) or used dell wyse 5070 (which can be found for 50-60$), or something similar especially for AI. Just dont buy j4125 noname chinese miniPCs they have problems with cooling.

Edited by dimakv2014
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Orphée said:

You can also forget HP Gen10 plus at least with ESXi/Proxmox, already tried no way to passtrough the iGPU. Maybe as baremetal, but did not try.

It should work for dva3221 with gtx1650 since it does have AVX2 and if its Xeon E-2224 then it cannot passthrough igpu because it doesnt have one according to intel website.

Edited by dimakv2014

22 minutes ago, dimakv2014 said:

It should work for dva3221 with gtx1650 since it does have AVX2 and if its Xeon E-2224 then it cannot passthrough igpu because it doesnt have one according to intel website.

I agree but good luck to fit a GTX1650 inside Gen10 plus... It may work, but it lack of any spare PCI-e slot... especially if you use daughter ILO board.

You won't be able to fit a PCE-e SSD card (for the host proxmox/ESXi)...

Maybe as baremetal... 

Edited by Orphée

13 minutes ago, Orphée said:

I agree but good luck to fit a GTX1650 inside Gen10 plus... It may work, but it lack of any spare CPI-e slot... especially if you use daughter ILO board.

You won't be able to fit a PCE-e SSD card (for the host proxmox/ESXi)...

Maybe as baremetal... 

You can use pcie and ilo riser and have both ssd and gpu in it. I agree it will be tight and might need some mod to fit in even low profile since it takes almost 2 slots but its possible.

HPE-ProLiant-MicroServer-Gen10-Plus-PCIe-and-iLO-Riser-Installed.jpg

Edited by dimakv2014

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

From what I read in this topic from the 4th Gen to the 10th Gen, iGPU should work with DVA1622.

I have an i5 10600 with UHD 630 8086:9BC8 but it does not work when I passthrough the iGPU with Proxmox.

EDIT1:

I tried baremetal and I am getting video output through the HDMI but I still when trying to test face detection I am getting "unable to perform this operation..." 

@DVA1622:/$ dmesg -T | grep i915
[Tue Sep  5 21:23:31 2023] [drm] Finished loading DMC firmware i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin (v1.4)
[Tue Sep  5 21:23:31 2023] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20171222 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
[Tue Sep  5 21:23:32 2023] i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device
[Tue Sep  5 21:23:34 2023] Modules linked in: thermal(OE) kvm_intel kvm irqbypass acpi_cpufreq rtc_cmos(OE) xhci_pci leds_lp3943 aesni_intel glue_helper lrw gf128mul ablk_helper geminilake_synobios(PO) hid_generic usbhid hid usblp i915(E) drm_kms_helper syscopyarea sysfillrect sysimgblt fb_sys_fops cfbfillrect cfbcopyarea cfbimgblt drm drm_panel_orientation_quirks iosf_mbi fb fbdev video backlight button i2c_algo_bit uhci_hcd etxhci_hcd ehci_pci ehci_hcd usb_storage xhci_hcd usbcore sg dm_snapshot dm_bufio crc_itu_t crc_ccitt psnap p8022 llc hfsplus zram md4 hmac sit tunnel4 ipv6 flashcache_syno(O) flashcache(O) syno_flashcache_control(O) dm_mod arc4 crc32c_intel cryptd ecb aes_x86_64 authenc des_generic ansi_cprng cts md5 cbc cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_performance processor cpufreq_stats vxlan ip6_udp_tunnel udp_tunnel

Any ideas?

Edited by gadreel

1 hour ago, gadreel said:

Hi all,

From what I read in this topic from the 4th Gen to the 10th Gen, iGPU should work with DVA1622.

I have an i5 10600 with UHD 630 8086:9BC8 but it does not work when I passthrough the iGPU with Proxmox.

Any ideas?

Wrong.

Without any addon, it handle 4th to 9th gen iGPU.

You must add 10th gen addon to enable 10th gen.

But it will not work with Surveillance Station.

It will only work for 3rd party softwares like plex/emby.

Re-read there :

Looking at your hardware ID, you just need to do as I did myself. Just force HW ID to 3E91

Edited by Orphée

7 minutes ago, Orphée said:

Wrong.

Without any addon, it handle 4th to 9th gen iGPU.

You must add 10th gen addon to enable 10th gen.

But it will not work with Surveillance Station.

It will only work for 3rd party softwares like plex/emby.

Re-read there :

@Orphée But now in baremetal what I did? I removed all the addons and the i915 module and I see the HDMI output.

This is the same as in Plex and Emby, the iGPU will work upto that extend only (Plex/Emby/HDMI Output)?

Edited by gadreel