XPEnology Community

Can't resolve disks with TCRP Ryzen motherboard

Need some help before I give up trying this and move to TrueNAS or OpenmediaVault (both install seamlessly).

I have made countless attempts and installing this on my Ryzen PC but have not been able to get it to work.

I am sure there are issues with detecting my disks but can't be sure. I have attempted almost all of the sataportmap/
diskidxmap systems but have never got it to work. My current configuration is a DS918+ DSM 7.0.1-42218.

satamap shows Bad Ports: -5 -4 -1 0.

Don't understand this.

Anyway I updated the values that came up to the user_config.json file and continued the build.

tc@box:~$ sudo ./rploader.sh satamap now

Found "01:00.1 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b7 (rev 02)"
Detected 8 ports/4 drives. Bad ports: -5 -4 -1 0. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <8>

Found "0a:00.2 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)"
Detected 4 ports/1 drives. Bad ports: 1 2. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <4>

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=84
DiskIdxMap=0008

WARNING: Bad ports are mapped. The DSM installation will fail!

Should i update the user_config.json with these values ? [Yy/Nn] y
Done.

I am pretty sure this will fail.

Rebooted the PC and as expected came up with bad disks.

Any help appreciated.

I am attaching the output of the dmesg and the lspci -tvnnq outputs and the build dialogue.

Motherboard ASUS Prime B350M-A.

CPU Ryzen 5 1600

Memory 16 GB

Motherboard has 6 SATA ports.

All have been set to "Hot Plug" Enabled.

SATA mode is set to AHCI.

M2_SATA Port is empty.

Thanks in advance to who ever can help.

Also would like to acknowledge the efforts of @pocopicoand @Peter and many others that have been involved in this project.

DS918-1.jpg

DS918-2.jpg

device.txt disk.txt DS918-build pci.txt

A couple of things are happening here.

satamap is trying to advise you on ports that will cause problems during installation, but is not properly resolving the PCI bus addresses for the SATA controllers.  This is interesting (and I haven't seen this before) so thanks for posting the PCI map so I can dig into that further.

The real issue is that DSM 7 is getting very finicky about allowing the installer to run when the visible SATA ports are not configured exactly as it wants.

Specifically, all ports need to be hot pluggable, or have a device attached to them.  Additionally, many motherboards are mapping M.2 ports into the drive range that cannot be configured correctly (outside of populating the M.2 with SATA SSDs).  Or, mapping non-functional ports into the range, which is the same problem.

If you can show whether you have these actual "bad" ports, the way to show this in the back end is dmesg | fgrep "DUMMY"

I suspect the way you can get past this is to set up a single disk in satamap, get DSM installed/upgraded, then rebuild the loader with another satamap that will provide access to the drives.

You can read more about the workaround options in the troubleshooting section in the tutorial here:
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/62221-tutorial-installmigrate-to-dsm-7x-with-tinycore-redpill-tcrp-loader/

EDIT: if you can post the result of ls -la /sys/block that would help with the PCI resolution problem.

Thanks @flyride

I will look through the workaround options that you have suggested.

By the back end I am guessing you mean logging into DSM if possible and running dmesg | fgrep "DUMMY"

Is there a way I can login to DSM if it has not been installed correctly yet?

I will also try to populate the M2 slot with a SATA SSD and see what happens.

Below is attached the output of the ls -la /sys/block command

ls-sys-blk

@flyride

Yes you are correct in that the M2 SATA Port is mapped to regular SATA drive range.

When I insert a M2 SATA SSD, my SATA Disks on ports 5 and 6 disappear all together and I only see the disks connected to ports 1 through 4.

When I remove the M2 SATA SSD, the disks in ports 5 and 6 come back.

The dmesg command should work from either TinyCore or from the junior mode of DSM.  This is covered in the tutorial troubleshooting section.

You should be able to manually override user_config.json and install DSM, but in order to use all your disks, you will need to rebuild the loader afterward.

Initially, set SataPortMap=22 and DiskIdxMap=0006.  You can install with only one disk if you want.  Don't build any Storage Pools yet.

Once DSM is installed, return to TinyCore and rebuild the loader identically, but change to SataPortMap=62.  Boot back into DSM and verify everything is still working, then add your remaining disks back in.  There will be a gap in the disk lineup because of your system's port mapping behavior.  If you don't like that you can fix it with sata_remap but I advise just to leave it alone.

4 hours ago, nsridhar56 said:

I have set SataPortMap=22 and DiskIdxMap=0006 and have pulled out all disks except the one in SATA Port 1.

summery for the sata config looks like this

1st controller

AMD B350 chipset: 4 x SATA 6Gb/s (from manual)
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset SATA Controller [1022:43b7]
[    0.361853] ahci 0000:01:00.1: AHCI 0001.0301 32 slots 8 ports 6 Gbps 0x33 impl SATA mode
[    0.362887] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m131072@0xf6880000 port 0xf6880100 irq 39
[    0.362889] ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m131072@0xf6880000 port 0xf6880180 irq 39
[    0.362889] ata3: DUMMY
[    0.362890] ata4: DUMMY
[    0.362891] ata5: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m131072@0xf6880000 port 0xf6880300 irq 39
[    0.362893] ata6: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m131072@0xf6880000 port 0xf6880380 irq 39
[    0.362894] ata7: DUMMY
[    0.362894] ata8: DUMMY

2nd controller

2 x SATA 6Gb/s, The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports, therefore the SATA6G_5/6 ports cannot be used when a SATA/PCIE mode M.2 device is installed (from manual)
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901]
[    0.363029] ahci 0000:0a:00.2: AHCI 0001.0301 32 slots 2 ports 6 Gbps 0xc impl SATA mode
[    0.363574] ata9: DUMMY
[    0.363575] ata10: DUMMY
[    0.363577] ata11: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m4096@0xf6d08000 port 0xf6d08200 irq 41
[    0.363578] ata12: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m4096@0xf6d08000 port 0xf6d08280 irq 41

the prevent the "gaps" (dummy) for installing it looks like this  might work

SataPortMap=20

DiskIdxMap=0002

2nd controller it set to 0 ports and counting for the 1st controller it should only be the first two ports

it might also be possible to have all ports defined as seen by the ahci driver and in addition do some port swapping (with syno's kernel parameters) to line up the working ports as the 1st 6 ports used by dsm

Edited by IG-88

On 6/28/2022 at 6:49 AM, flyride said:

Once DSM is installed, return to TinyCore and rebuild the loader identically, but change to SataPortMap=62.  Boot back into DSM and verify everything is still working, then add your remaining disks back in.  There will be a gap in the disk lineup because of your system's port mapping behavior.  If you don't like that you can fix it with sata_remap but I advise just to leave it alone.

I have tried

SataPortMap=20

DiskIdxMap=0002

The Synology is not found on my network.

Reverted back to

SataPortMap=22

DiskIdxMap=0006

Can see Synology but errors on Drives 7 and 8 as before.

No idea what's going on.

I am going to stop this now and get an Intel M/B with one SATA Controller and 5 SATA Ports and see if I can get DSM to install without drive errors.

Thanks for your assistance @flyrideand @IG-88

Thanks @flyride

If you have a suggestion on a CPU/Motherboard Combo that works out of the box I'll try and source that.

I really like DSM and am already running Jun's Mod on another Ryzen PC.

DS918+ running DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3.

I have Plex Media Server running on it and it has been awesome.

I am scared to update it to DSM 7 as I may not be able to see the data on it if I attempt the upgrade.

I thought of installing DSM 7 on a new PC and sync (Resilio Sync) the data across to DSM 7.

Since we are hacking access to specific Synology platforms, for baremetal it always makes sense to me to try and match the platform configuration.

So I am running DS918+ on an Asrock J4105 - virtually identical to the real DS918+ configuration.

I am also running DS3622xs+ (originally DS3615xs) on a SuperMicro X11SSH-F board - also very close to the DS36xx hardware.

But I test every platform on VM, and they all work one way or another, so if you are willing to put in the effort to learn how to use ESXi or Proxmox, it is very much achievable.

Regarding the integrity of your data, a failed DSM install or upgrade doesn't put data at risk.  A reckless upgrader may blow up the data partitions while they try unsavory things to get the system back up, but the worst that should happen is that data is inaccessible while you figure out how to get DSM back up and running. But as always, it is best to have a backup so that if YOU mess up, you can burn it down and build it back up without losing anything.  I have a second copy (and for some data, a third) of everything.

The tutorial gives you information on how to test a migration successfully.  There are many success stories in the upgrade threads. That said there are a lot of little things that can go wrong migrating to or upgrading DSM 7.  Even with extensive testing I still had a problem with the SuperMicro migration, and I had to rebuild DSM from scratch (but not my data).

I can appreciate your inclination to want another bare metal build. That is also my preference.

I have a Gigabyte B365M DS3H with an Intel i7 9700 and 16 gigs of ram with DS918+ as my choice.

I have four ports populated with Seagate IronWolf NAS drives and I also have Plex running.

I had 6.2 with Jun's loader until i recently upgraded to 7.1

Like @flyride said, it is possible to migrate to 7.0-7.1 without loosing your data. That's what I did

10 hours ago, nsridhar56 said:

I am going to stop this now

maybe one last try?

user-config-json.txt

"SataPortMap": "6",
    "DiskIdxMap": "00",
    "sata_remap": "10\\>2:11\\>3"
  },

in theory it should map the two ports ata11/ata12 into the 1st dummy gap (ata3/ata4), close the gap and leave only 6 ports usable

11 hours ago, nsridhar56 said:

Reverted back to

SataPortMap=22

DiskIdxMap=0006

Can see Synology but errors on Drives 7 and 8 as before.

well its also possible to revert the order of a controller, 7,8 is on the 2rd controller 1st and 2nd port as dummy found, if we revers the order of the 2nd controller the two usable ports will be 1st and 2nd port on that controller

"SataPortMap": "22",
    "DiskIdxMap": "0006",
    "DiskSeqReverse": "04"
  },

Edited by IG-88

On 7/1/2022 at 9:38 AM, nsridhar56 said:

May be I'll try ProxMox

there are some newer developments around these problems like the mode used in newer system 920+ called device tree, for handling disks and ports

i guess this will find its way to the actual loader shortly

beside this there is e new loader

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/63486-automated-redpill-loader

not all the drivers yet as with tc loader but i guess that can be changed quickly as  the structure of the drivers is less complicated to handle manually

but using a hypervisor might not be that bad is it offers more options in the long run (but it also more complex to handle, i still prefer baremetal and a single purpose system but when having to juggle more vm's then just DSM and docker then i would switch to a hypervisor too)

@IG-88 I found the arpl image, burned it to a USB Drive, rebooted, ran menu.sh selected to build the DS3716 system, added the "mpt3sas" add-on as instructed.

Rebooted into DSM and wallah I was able to install DSM 7.1-42661 Update 1.

All my 8 SAS Disks on my SAS controller are visible.

I can get into the DSM Desktop and everything looks good.

image.thumb.png.a34a05cd58bccbe66f9a022f62b5ac17.png

image.thumb.png.7d4f47526047e67052ddfce2ef77342c.png

Thank you and to all for assisting in getting my System up and running.