XPEnology Community

Hi all, after the update from DSM 7.0.1 to 7.1-42661 Update 2 on my HP N40L the HDD hibernation feature doesn't work anymore.

Until 7.0.1 I've always followed the advice found on this thread which consists in modify the /etc.defaults/syslog-ng/patterndb.d/scemd.conf file and it worked just fine. (apart from some random HDD wakes)

Can anyone have some advice on that? is anyone using the HDD hibernation feature on this DSM version? 

FYI from 7.0.1 to 7.1 I have migrated TCRP NAS config from DS3615xs to DS3622xs+ can this be a possible problem?

I don't know if it's a hardware problem related on HP N40L and similar or not...

Thank you for your help

Edited by Stefano

• Stefano changed the title to DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2 / HDD Hibernation Issues
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 11:04 AM, Stefano said:

Hi all, after the update from DSM 7.0.1 to 7.1-42661 Update 2 on my HP N40L the HDD hibernation feature doesn't work anymore.

Until 7.0.1 I've always followed the advice found on this thread which consists in modify the /etc.defaults/syslog-ng/patterndb.d/scemd.conf file and it worked just fine. (apart from some random HDD wakes)

Can anyone have some advice on that? is anyone using the HDD hibernation feature on this DSM version? 

FYI from 7.0.1 to 7.1 I have migrated TCRP NAS config from DS3615xs to DS3622xs+ can this be a possible problem?

I don't know if it's a hardware problem related on HP N40L and similar or not...

Thank you for your help

were you able to get disk hibernation to work on 7.1?can you tell me on which exact version of 7.0.1 it worked? i am thinking of installing an old version to try.

thanks

Hi Jakino, unfortunately no. I'm waiting for others feedback or for a way to make it work again.

I'm still at 7.1 update 2, I don't know if the recent 7.1 update 4 would be useful for this problem... I'll give it a try when I have a moment.

For me the latest version where it worked fine was DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 (with scemd.conf mod)

cheers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/16/2022 at 3:38 PM, Sak1s said:

try the following :

Connect with ssh as root and force a symlink 

ln -sf /dev/null /var/log/scemd.log

Hi sak1s, I have tried your advice. It seems now the HDD hibernation is working fine!! But now It happens that If I try to login to the nas on the usual webpage I have instead a white page…. This seems to happen after a while (I don’t understand if suddenly after the first hdd hibernation or later..)
the shared folders continue to work but no login page. I have to shutdown the nas through power button.

I have latest dsm 7.1.1 update 2 on my HP N40L with tcrp 0.9.3.0 

On 12/17/2022 at 5:59 PM, Stefano said:

Hi sak1s, I have tried your advice. It seems now the HDD hibernation is working fine!! But now It happens that If I try to login to the nas on the usual webpage I have instead a white page…. This seems to happen after a while (I don’t understand if suddenly after the first hdd hibernation or later..)
the shared folders continue to work but no login page. I have to shutdown the nas through power button.

I have latest dsm 7.1.1 update 2 on my HP N40L with tcrp 0.9.3.0 

Hi Stefano ,

i have the feeling that the problem with the "white page"  is not relative with the symlink of  scemd.log .

From my little experience with the DSM7 ,never happen to me .

More over, i had install more than 40times DSM on a lenovo PX4-400D, with different versions, just to check if that my system is stable and  which version of DSM is more accurate 

Also in most cases , i was just logged in  to webpage to see that disks  just wake up from hibernation . 

Do you try to ping your machine when you have a blank page  or Open Google chrome developer Console ?

Also check the nginx logs  under /var/log/nginx/error.log

On 12/18/2022 at 11:22 PM, Sak1s said:

Hi Stefano ,

i have the feeling that the problem with the "white page"  is not relative with the symlink of  scemd.log .

From my little experience with the DSM7 ,never happen to me .

More over, i had install more than 40times DSM on a lenovo PX4-400D, with different versions, just to check if that my system is stable and  which version of DSM is more accurate 

Also in most cases , i was just logged in  to webpage to see that disks  just wake up from hibernation . 

Do you try to ping your machine when you have a blank page  or Open Google chrome developer Console ?

Also check the nginx logs  under /var/log/nginx/error.log

Hi Sak1s, you were right. Two days ago I have completely wiped my previous NAS installation (also the HDD drives). I have then installed a clean DSM 7.1.1 Update 2 release and I have only followed your mod advice.

I have monitored today HDD hibernation and it worked perfectly, I don't have problems related to DSM webpage anymore.

Thank you for your help

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

On my system the disk sleeps and never wakes up on its own only after I set a sleep time manually via terminal command with root user:

hdparm -S 60 /dev/sd{X}

I've tested different time values and came to the conclusion that disk can only sleep when a time is no more than 5 minutes. If its greater than that  - the disk would never enter the hibernation state.
You also can force it to hibernate immediately using command:

hdparm -y /dev/sd{X}

apart from that I've only set "Hibernation" option in "Control Panel" -> "Energy Saving" to 10 minutes and also ran script from https://github.com/AlexFromChaos/synology_hibernation_fixer

Edited by TheRealMaN_