Jump to content
XPEnology Community

DSM 7 on my actual DSM 6 machine


Recommended Posts

Hi there, 

 

I’m running DSM 6.2.3-25426 update 3 on a i3-8100, MSI Carbon, 16GB of Ram with 8 drives(1SSD) 

 

can I easily move up to DSM 7?

 

all Tutoriales or how to’s I’ve seen include starting on a virtual machine or using Linux commands, not that I’m lazy or anything I’m just not sure if it is possible and how/where to start…. 
 

regards 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you planning to switch from DSM6 bare metal to DSM7 VMs?
You don't usually do this well, do you?

 

Migration from bare metal to bare metal and from VM to VM seems safe.

 

The most critical problem in the migration from DSM6 -> DSM7 is
The point is that setting up SataPortMap is not easy, especially in REDPILL.

Of course, there are users who are lucky enough to pass easily.

 

The recommended method is to remove all data disks in use from the XPE PC and install only a few new disks for testing.
Install and prepare the existing DSM 6 first,
After creating one more REDPILL DSM7 bootloader on a separate USB,
The first thing to do is to test the migration.

 

If there are no problems in this test, it is OK to migrate the real data disk.
Unless you intentionally initialize the disk,
In any case, there is no need to worry as the data partition area is not damaged.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the late response, foremost thank you.

 

I guess i'll just use this tutorial:

Install/Migrate to DSM 7.x with TinyCore RedPill (TCRP) Loader

On 6/24/2022 at 6:34 AM, Peter Suh said:

Are you planning to switch from DSM6 bare metal to DSM7 VMs?
You don't usually do this well, do you?

That was my main Problem, what i've got wrong.

I thought you set the whole thing in VM up and then use it as bare metal.....

Anyway, thanks for correcting me there... 

 

To make it real fail-safe for me, can i do it like this?

 

Remove all HDD's besides of 1 with crap on it, for example my SSD what is only used as cache and for Downloads!?

I don't have any ''new disks'' lying around or something...   

 

Do I need a Screen on my XPE machine for the Setup? 

 

I have it running on the attic, doin everything over web/putty......

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nervous Mike said:

 

To make it real fail-safe for me, can i do it like this?

Remove all HDD's besides of 1 with crap on it, for example my SSD what is only used as cache and for Downloads!?

I don't have any ''new disks'' lying around or something...   

 

 

If you don't have a spare disk for testing,
It's really sad. I can't seem to help with this part.

 

3 hours ago, Nervous Mike said:

 

Do I need a Screen on my XPE machine for the Setup? 

I have it running on the attic, doin everything over web/putty......

 

 

If you've already tried Jun's DSM 6 loader, it's the same.
Redpill is no different. XPE is headless,
Installation and other management are handled through the web manager on a separate PC.

 

However, since Tinycore is used, there is a problem that the screen of this XPE PC must be used only once.
This is because of the IP assigned after Tinycore Linux is booted.
If this IP is fixed and known, it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Do you know how to assign a static IP address to the router with a known MAC address?

 

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

If you don't have a spare disk for testing,
It's really sad. I can't seem to help with this part.

 

Misunderstanding here, i can use my SSD which is installed as cache/download disk i can also empty another HDD which is installed, i just don't have a ''new'' one lying around. 

 

8 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

This is because of the IP assigned after Tinycore Linux is booted.
If this IP is fixed and known, it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Do you know how to assign a static IP address to the router with a known MAC address?

 

I can easily look that up on my Router, i think i have red in the tutorial that Tinycore's Host name is ''BOX''.

 

8 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

If you've already tried Jun's DSM 6 loader, it's the same.

 

I'll just give it a shot and yeah i tried Jun's DSM 6 Loader, maybe i just putting too much into it......

 

Thanks for your help Peter and i will give feedback how it turned out! 

 

Regards

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 3:46 AM, Nervous Mike said:

I’m running DSM 6.2.3-25426 update 3 on a i3-8100, MSI Carbon, 16GB of Ram with 8 drives(1SSD) 

kind of thin description, no dsm type (918+ uses intel quick sync what others like 3617 cant), there are a lot of "carbon" products from msi (guess how many people will invest time to find out what exaxtly you "might" have)

also most boards come with up to 6 onboard sata (like Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON), and as you have at least 7 sata drives (8th ssd drive can be sata or nvme - also not clear) you might have a additional controller

 

also important would be to read up about 3rd party packages in dsm, as synology changed the format you should check if all packages you need are available

 

and for the howto, that one is about baremetal and there is no "one fits all, no brain needed" solution, you might even run into trouble with the sata controllers and need to handle some values manually (SataPortMap, DiskIdxMap)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/62221-tutorial-installmigrate-to-dsm-7x-with-tinycore-redpill-tcrp-loader/

in general, when using any cache (ssd/nvme) disable it before migration, if things work out you can re-enable it later, also it suggested to have a backup

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

kind of thin description, no dsm type (918+ uses intel quick sync what others like 3617 cant), there are a lot of "carbon" products from msi (guess how many people will invest time to find out what exaxtly you "might" have)

also most boards come with up to 6 onboard sata (like Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON), and as you have at least 7 sata drives (8th ssd drive can be sata or nvme - also not clear) you might have a additional controller

You're absolutely right, yes I use 918+(didn't know this was relevant), again you are right it is the Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon non AC and again yes I use a PCI-E/SATA Controller.

 

The SSD is just a 2,5'' otherwise I would have written m2 SSD, but I guess this really looks a bit lazy/thin.

 

11 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

also important would be to read up about 3rd party packages in dsm, as synology changed the format you should check if all packages you need are available

 

Thank you and to be Honest, all I need is PLEX or EMBY and MyJdownloader, jup checked that at least.

 

14 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

and for the howto, that one is about baremetal and there is no "one fits all, no brain needed" solution, you might even run into trouble with the sata controllers and need to handle some values manually (SataPortMap, DiskIdxMap)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/62221-tutorial-installmigrate-to-dsm-7x-with-tinycore-redpill-tcrp-loader/

in general, when using any cache (ssd/nvme) disable it before migration, if things work out you can re-enable it later

 

I have read the Tutorial 2 Times now and was, I guess, just confused, with my actual Build I just downloaded the Loader put it on a USB, booted up installed DSM and Tada... Sure, in the Last 2 Years I did some Stuff with Putty etc. 

 

The tutorial I did the DSM 6 installation wasn't from here, so maybe it was just the needed stuff and nothing about troubleshooting etc... 

 

I have to admit since my actual installation is bugging around and DSM 7 came out I started to read and read(when I found time), maybe read much crap or unneeded stuff, and confused myself I guess.

Usually I'm the trial and error guy and get the hang out of it, and I just didn't want to end up with an F***** up NAS where the HDDs are all empty after my try......

 

24 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

also it suggested to have a backup

 

You mean the TCRP Backup as described in the tut, or a backup of my old..., if so what exactly?

 

Thanks and Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nervous Mike said:

with my actual Build I just downloaded the Loader put it on a USB, booted up installed DSM and Tada...

you would need at least to change the usb vid/pid in grub.cfg to install

maybe look up a video of a dsm 7.x install based on tinycore, might help to see how its done and understand the tutorial better, looks sometimes more complex then it is later

like the step with the usb vid/pid you needed to find out with the old loader, that just a command now, no extra tools or massing with the grub.cfg

maybe read this one, not recent but interesting too

https://xpenology.club/install-dsm-7-on-baremetal-or-vm/

 

just to mess around you can use any usb flash drive and a old empty disk, just disconnect the stuff you use now and play around with the test usb and disk

you can reconnect the old stuff at any time to use the system you have now, if you end with a (new) usb config working for you then you could just use the old disks with the new usb and migrate to the tested configuration

its suggested to try out the packages with the new dsm 7 test install to see whats working and whats not or if you can find a source for a 7.x compatible version of a package

 

6 hours ago, Nervous Mike said:

PLEX or EMBY

should be available

 

6 hours ago, Nervous Mike said:

MyJdownloader

that might be more of a problem, there is a manual way based on installing java package

https://support.jdownloader.org/Knowledgebase/Article/View/synology-nas-installation

 

i guess this old one will not work anymore for 7.x (?) and i have not seen anything newer

https://luenepiet.de/public/Synology/JDownloader/

i guess thats because not its more common to use docker

https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/jlesage/jdownloader-2/

 

docker might also often used for plex or emby

 

6 hours ago, Nervous Mike said:

You mean the TCRP Backup as described in the tut, or a backup of my old..., if so what exactly?

a backup of the data on your nas, just in case, there are more things that can go wrong then trying to install a new version

broken raid's or (logical) volumes have been seen with dsm

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot mate really!

 

I totally f***** up, trying stupid things….. 

 

first of all I tried to use the .gz as image and wasted like an hour of doin even more stupid things as trying to boot from a usb with a gz image on it….
Until I found on google that .gz is a compressed file which needs to be extracted to get the image… 

 

heavy facepalm there….. 

 

On the first install I skipped the sata config…. Which led to hard disk 2,3,4,5,6,7 error sata disabled… 

 

After taking a cigarette/coffee break it actually took about 5 minutes + 10 minutes DSM installing itself, from having a empty usb to a migrated Xpenology fully runnin…. 
 

i feel really stupid at the moment, after doin every step everything totally makes sense…

 

it was so easy to be honest….
 

i think this loads of text and explaining just scared the s*** out of me… 

 

got Jdownloader and plex also running within seconds….


Anyway big thanks to both of you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...