XPEnology Community

HP Microserver Gen8 migration from VM to bare-metal and back

bulisor007

Sometime even if the system was configured to run on VM, you may want to move to bare-metal to get the SMART information available for the HDDs but then you want to move back to VM to get the fan speed running at minimum level. Here are the details on how to perform this steps:

1. VM to bare-metal

This works directly, without any action needed, all data is recognized and available immediately.

2. Bare-metal to VM

When switching from bare-metal to VM the system won’t recognize the information on the HDDs and will wee the system as not installed. As the data is still on the HDDs (can be easily checked by booting again bare-metal) it means the issue is that VM can’t recognize the disk layout. To fix this you need to download Ubuntu Desktop, create a virtual machine booting from the Ubuntu ISO and the HDDs attached as RDM drives (only the data HDDs, just like they are attached to Xpenology VM which of course that needs to be powered off).

Once the VM boots up select “Try Ubuntu” to be able to run all necessary commands without actually performing any installation.

Once the desktop is available you can check if the HDDs are seen correctly by going to search menu and looking for “Disks” application

Here you’ll see that indeed the partitioning of the disk seems to be invalid as all disks will appear as un-partitioned.

Now close or minimize “Disks” and start terminal:

Run the following commands:

• sudo –i

• gdisk /dev/sda

Here you see that indeed there are some warnings about disk size and GPT headers and can check that the partitions are detected properly by typing p to list the detected partitions

At this moment you only have to let gdisk correct the errors and write back correctly the partition information – you’ll do that by typing w and acknowledging the warning with y

Now repeat the procedure for the rest of the disks: type “gdisk /dev/sdb” then w (and y), same for sdc, sdd etc.

Once all disks have been corrected you can check again the “Disks” application to confirm that on all HDDs the partitions are detected as expected (2 partitions for Synology OS and one for the data partition)

That’s all, shutdown Ubuntu VM and start Xpenology VM where all data should be accessible.

P.S. I have the screenshots for all steps but apparently no more attachments can be uploaded, I get the error "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached"

I'm interested in purchasing an HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 819185-421 with the G1610T CPU. Would I be able to get DSM 6 running on it please?

Yes. :smile: See here > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=74492#p74492

Thanks, I found that after posting this. The problem is that if I buy a Gen8 I would also like to have a Windows 10 VM on it, so I would also need to run XPenology on a VM. I understand that DSM6 is still work-in-progress for a VM on Gen8?

I'm interested in purchasing an HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 819185-421 with the G1610T CPU. Would I be able to get DSM 6 running on it please?

Yes. :smile: See here > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=74492#p74492

Thanks, I found that after posting this. The problem is that if I buy a Gen8 I would also like to have a Windows 10 VM on it, so I would also need to run XPenology on a VM. I understand that DSM6 is still work-in-progress for a VM on Gen8?

I can't give any first hand info on VM's and their many flavours because I use baremetal, sorry. If you read the first post by Jun he covers the VM's currently working with his dynamic patch here > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216 . I'm not up to speed on the latest developments in the "Working DSM 6" thread here > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16114 .

Afaik those two threads cover all currently available options for getting DSM 6 running using Xpenology.