XPEnology Community

DSM 7.0.1 to 7.1 Update with TCRP - system partition failed

I upgraded DSM 7.0.1 to 7.1 Update with TCRP using following tutorial, created a new usb boot loader disk and used it to upgrade. 

Was able to upgrade without any problem but did pay attention to Sata Port Map and realised both my drives in pool 2 are missing. 
Compared the Sata post map from old usb disk (DSM 7.0.1) and updated the setting on new usb disk (DSM 7.1).
Rebooted the machine

got the drives and data back but now its strange both the drives says system partition failed. how to fix this?
Please advise?   

image.thumb.png.6b91eab4788241ecddaac97eb6b3d76b.png

System Partition Failed means that the RAID1 for DSM that is on all disks is no longer consistent.  Here are the instructions from Synology website to correct.

Failed to access the system partition

To repair the system partition:

1. Launch Storage Manager.
  2. Go to Overview and click the Repair link. The system should start repairing the system partition on the drives.
  3. Wait for the system to complete the repair.
  4. Go to HDD/SSD. The allocation status of the drives should return to Normal. If one or more drives still show the System Partition Failed status, they might be defective. You can do the following:
    1. Replace the defective drives one by one.
    2. Depending on what status is shown on the Overview page, repair the storage pool or the system partition.
      • For detailed instructions on repairing a storage pool, refer to the respective help articles for DSM 7.0 and DSM 6.2.
      • For detailed instructions on repairing the system partition refer to the respective help articles for DSM 7.0 and DSM 6.2.
  5. Follow these best practice tips to keep your data safe and your system operational:
    • Regularly back up your data and system configurations. For detailed instructions, refer to the respective help articles for DSM 7.0 and DSM 6.2.
    • Run S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) tests on your drives to monitor the drive health status. For detailed instructions, refer to the respective help articles for DSM 7.0 and DSM 6.2.
  • Like 1

Hi @flyride, thanks for your response, but strangely there was no repair option on the overview in storage manager.

So I just deactivated one of these two drives, rebooted the the server and then I could see

1. my Pool was degraded and there was an option to repair the pool.  
2. In drives section one drive (which was deactivated) was now in uninitialized normal state

I initiliased the drive and repaired the storage pool it took few hours to do that. once it was done, a repair option appeared on overview page to repair  the "system partition failed" for remaining drive. I clicked that and it repaired everything in 5 mins :)

Edited by AbuMoosa