XPEnology Community

WoL issues - DSM 6.0.2 (new loader)

Hostilian

Hi all,

Probably best for a separate thread for this...

Whilst WoL does work (under certain circumstances) to my custom NAS with DSM 6.0.2 8451, it is far from reliable.

I've tried to follow the threads to determine the issue and the fix - but haven't got a working fix yet.

Basically, if I power down my server from within Synology, then try to WOL the box, it doesn't work..

If I then power it on using the power button, check the BIOS and shut down the machine - I can WoL the box and it powers up normally..

I've set what I think to be correct in the BIOS - but no joy trying to Wake it up again (when it's shut down from Synology console)..

I've tried adding the Powerdown sh script to the rc.d folder...

edit. Motherboard is ASUS H87i-plus (wol doesnt work with the built in Intel card) but I've got a PCIe Intel card, which is the one that works fine.

Both are bonded - LACP - and it's working fine.

Any thoughts?

#H

Are you using Synology Assistant to send the magic packet or a thirdparty tool?

I found that the Syno Assistant is the only tool I have that will wake the server for some strange reason.

I have done exactly what you have done and I found the shutdown fix in rc.d (set executable for owner) is required contrary to some other reports in the main thread.

I'm using the onboard NIC #1 332i on a Gen8 G1610T and powering down from the DSM control panel seems to put things in a state that allows consistent WOL using Syno Assistant to send the packet.

Hey, thanks! Yeah, I'm using a 3rd party tool..

Well, about 4 of them. I've tried two on my phone and the same number on my PC.

I was hoping to have something I could have on my phone; so I could WoL over wifi - wherever I am in the house.

As I said, it is working under certain circumstances, but not from a powered down state using the Synology console (so that's not much use).

I'll give Synology assistant a try, but was hoping for something I didn't need to have to start my PC to use.

I belive the new version of Synology for Android has introduced issues with WOL (typical). Perhaps someone could confirm?

Thanks

#H

You could try DSFinder on your phone to wake your device. :wink:

DS finder Release Notes

Description

DS finder helps you to easily monitor the status of your DiskStation on the go, as well as start up the DiskStation remotely. IT professionals can receive important system notifications about their DiskStation instantly, or use it to locate the DiskStation in massive server rooms with the built-in buzzer. If you need to do any troubleshooting, you can email out the DiskStation’s network/storage info directly from the Android device.

https://originwww.synology.com/en-uk/re ... S%20finder

It's ok.. Got it working with (to my surprise) one of the addresses in the grub.cfg file (rather than the REAL MAC addresses of my cards).

I've done some digging on WOL and am now enlightened.

It previously was working only occasionally - but now I know the circumstances in which it won't work..

ie.. if I go into my BIOS for any reason. :smile:

Cheers!

My 3rd party WOL tools are working fine...I had been busy pasting in a MAC address that had a typo in it. :oops: Once I spotted my error and corrected it the tools worked. :lol: Also remember to use the same mac as used in the grub config file.

What is your 3rd party tools?

When you use those, did you have to add the Powerdown sh script to the rc.d folder?

If I use DS Finder to wake my nas up thru phone, should I add the Powerdown sh script to the rc.d folder?

What is your 3rd party tools?

When you use those, did you have to add the Powerdown sh script to the rc.d folder?

If I use DS Finder to wake my nas up thru phone, should I add the Powerdown sh script to the rc.d folder?

The WOL tool is a quick 'n dirty custom autoit script which a friend of mine knocked up one night. But other scripts that send a magic packet should work just the same.

Yes DSM Finder wakes the server up no problem.

Yes I did add the powerdown script but it needs to be put in root/user/local/etc/rc.d in DSM6.