XPEnology Community

Why PID, VID, MAC, and SN for DSM 6?

Ticariocman

Hi all,

My xpenology Nas running DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5 just fine. People told me if I want to use DSM 6, definitely I have to change PID, VID (according to my current USB drive) and MAC as well as SN (according to excel file) to have it runs correctly. Why?

I really want to build another Nas that's running on DSM 6. But before that I need to know why I have to do this, do that... :grin:

Thanks and your inputs would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. But if I don't use QuickConnect, can I pick randomly MAC & SN? Do I get a loop-reboot issue?

You will pick random serial and MAC anyway, but they will match eachother. Is it too hard for you to open Excel document or what is the problem?

Yes, you're right. I just want to know why I have to change PID, VID, SN, and MAC if I use DSM 6.

Anybody?

Thanks.

I believe the answer is that Synology have added some extra code that now checks the SN MAC pairs match in DSM 6.

• 5 weeks later...
Yes, you're right. I just want to know why I have to change PID, VID, SN, and MAC if I use DSM 6.

Anybody?

Thanks.

I believe the answer is that Synology have added some extra code that now checks the SN MAC pairs match in DSM 6.

Oh... got it. Thanks.

That's not accurate. The only purpose of having a matching pair of S/N and MAC address is for using QuickConnect and perhaps some apps that require a valid pair. I haven't come accros one of those apps but I have read in the main thread that some people have.

If you don't need QC then don't bother with a matching pair of S/N and MAC. Use your OLD S/N and MAC or even better use your real NIC's MAC address. At least that's what I do.

Prior to the release of the official v.1.0 and subsequent v1.01 loader, the VID/PID was an absolument requirement for the loader being able to find the synoobot partitions. This requirement is now unnecessary as Jun has implemented a way to automatically detect the synoboot partitions. However as this has not been extensively tested, Jun still recommends to set the correct vid/pid.