XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2.3 Update 3 on HP Server

Ingridis13

Question

Dear Gentlemans!

Could you please answer what kind of problem may it be: I have succesefully installed with Jun's 1.03b 6.2.3 Update 3, but WD Red 3Tb disks visible only like 2Tb's.

Whats matter? How it can be heal?

Sorry for dumb question, if it really dumb!..

14 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Ingridis13 said:

LSI MegaRAID 1064E

that 2GB is a hardware limit of this controller chip, nothing can fix this, no driver no firmware, use sata ahci or a lsi sas2008 based controller (IT firmware), 2308 should work too (at least with 3617 and 3622)

I found the problem: my LSI MegaRAID 1064E work at IR-mode instead of IT. And it seems that this thing can't work with >=3Tb disks. 😪

Does anyone know: will the SAS2008 or SAS2308 work with 3Tb Toshiba SATA disks and 6.2.3 Update 3? @Peter SuhCould you, please, answer?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

P.S. FW of 1064E is ver 1.29.00.00-IR

Edited by Ingridis13
additional info

8 hours ago, Ingridis13 said:

Does anyone know: will the SAS2008 or SAS2308 work with 3Tb Toshiba SATA disks and 6.2.3 Update 3? @Peter SuhCould you, please, answer?

I flashed my Dell Perc H310 to SAS2008-IT.
And, this HBA used JUN's loader 1.04b in DS918+ DSM 6.2.3 Update 3.
In it, extra ext 0.12.1 provided by @IG-88 was additionally used.
When I used this HBA with the ds918+, I had problems with not waking up after disk hibernation and not displaying S.M.A.R.T,

so I used the specially designed version 0.12.1, not the last extras.

At that time, the most used disk was Toshiba 3TB Sata disks and SHR was used.

PS: The flash rom used the legacy version,
If it is possible to set the storage side of M/B, it is recommended to use it by switching to legacy-only rather than UEFI. This is not limited to DSM 6 only.

Now this HBA and disk are working fine with Redpill DSM7.1 DS3622xs+ without any problems.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

And may be you can point for me some kind of 6-SATA (or more...8, 10, 12) AHCI adapters? What kind of chip I must find?

ASM1061 is only 2, ASM1064 is only 4, may it be ASM1068, ASM1812?

Thanks a lot for your kindly answers!

Edited by Ingridis13

4 hours ago, Ingridis13 said:

And may be you can point for me some kind of 6-SATA (or more...8, 10, 12) AHCI adapters? What kind of chip I must find?

The Sata controller I was using other than the HBA was using one 6-port product with a 4+2 mix of Marvell and ASMedia chipsets.
In DSM 6, these ports worked without any problem,
After changing to RedPill, only Marvell chipset works.
I have little experience with ASMEDIA chipsets. sorry.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ingridis13 said:

AHCI compliant and no port multiplier are the key factors for a SATA controller.  There is no need for driver or chipset support if these are met.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

The Sata controller I was using other than the HBA was using one 6-port product with a 4+2 mix of Marvell and ASMedia chipsets.
In DSM 6, these ports worked without any problem,
After changing to RedPill, only Marvell chipset works.
I have little experience with ASMEDIA chipsets. sorry.

Hi @Peter Suh

Regarding the Marvell chipset SATA Controller, Do you think this will works with RedPills?

http://www.iocrest.com/index.php?id=2208

It runs on the Marvell chipset, so theoretically it should works with RedPill right?

1 hour ago, bladerider said:

Hi @Peter Suh

Regarding the Marvell chipset SATA Controller, Do you think this will works with RedPills?

It runs on the Marvell chipset, so theoretically it should works with RedPill right?

Although it is a Marvell chipset, it seems difficult for me to guarantee whether it works with REDPILL.

I think it would be good to aggregate not only DSM installation success or failure data, but also success or failure data for various SATA controllers.

I know this information is still scattered here and there.

Edited by Peter Suh

52 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Although it is a Marvell chipset, it seems difficult for me to guarantee whether it works with REDPILL.

I think it would be good to aggregate not only DSM installation success or failure data, but also success or failure data for various SATA controllers.

I know this information is still scattered here and there.

Thanks mate for the reply.

I will getting a free SATA card with Marvell chipset. Will try it out and post my feedback at here.

• Like 1

Will answer to my question myself 😊

The problem was with disks logical geometry: LSI 1064E had truncated my disks to 2Gb and SAS2008 was unable to read the right geometry.

Disks was re-initialized with easeUS soft and after this operation -- RAID10 was SUCCESSFUL!!

On 6/16/2022 at 3:56 PM, Ingridis13 said:

I tried LSI SAS2008 and normally process of install 6.2.3 was completed

what dsm type did use, 3617 is the suggested as it has the newer lsi sas driver and its a native driver from synology

the 918+ 6.2.3 is kind of dangerous (as can be seen in the place where the additional drivers are offered)

i don't know if there are any issues like that with 918/920/dva1622 and dsm 7.x but when using 3622 with dsm 7.x a lsi sas controller should be as good/stable as its expected

On 6/13/2022 at 8:58 AM, bladerider said:

as long as it ahci compatible it should work, that one is a older 9215 and should work ootb, but with just pcie 2.0 there are limits, escecailly with this one as it only uses one pcie lane and thats just 500 MByte/s (and thats kind of thin for 4 disks and will even limit normal hdd's), if it has to be a marvell with just pcie 2.0 than one with two lanes and 4 ports

i prefer newer pcie 3.0 capable chips for more bandwidth like jmb585 or asm1166