XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill loader (TCRP) - Development release 0.9

21 minutes ago, Durkie said:

Unfortunately it's still not working after adding those 3 command line options

For me the best solution right now until "Friend" is stable on my nas is to boot using 1st grub entry. I modified grub.cfg manually to set entry number 0 as the default instead of number 4. This way "by default" it boots using regular option without Friend, without issue. Have you tried 1st option in grub?

What is you machine if i may ask?

10 minutes ago, Blubster said:

For me the best solution right now until "Friend" is stable on my nas is to boot using 1st grub entry. I modified grub.cfg manually to set entry number 0 as the default instead of number 4. This way "by default" it boots using regular option without Friend, without issue. Have you tried 1st option in grub?

What is you machine if i may ask?

The first option is also not booting, but I think that has something to do with the postupdate that seems to be not working correctly on the new TC. My DSM is on version DSM 7.1-42661 Update 4 and when doing a postupdate for bromolow 7.1.0-42661 it states that 7.1.0-42661-0 is the version that it will be installed.

I'm using a HP Proliant Microserver N54L with an AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor and 8GB of RAM

28 minutes ago, Durkie said:

The first option is also not booting, but I think that has something to do with the postupdate that seems to be not working correctly on the new TC. My DSM is on version DSM 7.1-42661 Update 4 and when doing a postupdate for bromolow 7.1.0-42661 it states that 7.1.0-42661-0 is the version that it will be installed.

I'm using a HP Proliant Microserver N54L with an AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor and 8GB of RAM

Well if postupdate does not work also, then you should still end up in recovery mode when you select the first USB option.

Press recover and then run boot into TCRP and run postupdate again.

Edited by pocopico

I've been meaning to ask for a while now: what is the correct sequence of actions when performing a DSM update with TCRP?

Install the update in DSM (obviously), but when it comes to reboot do you immediately choose TCRP at the grub prompt and run postupdate, or do you let it run the install post-reboot, *then* reboot and go into TCRP and run postupdate?

On 9/28/2022 at 10:52 PM, WiteWulf said:

I've been meaning to ask for a while now: what is the correct sequence of actions when performing a DSM update with TCRP?

Install the update in DSM (obviously), but when it comes to reboot do you immediately choose TCRP at the grub prompt and run postupdate, or do you let it run the install post-reboot, *then* reboot and go into TCRP and run postupdate?

Well , since we always use the rd.gz (ramdisk) that is stored on the first partition, and that partition is unwritable by DSM that rd.gz will not get updated by the DSM update. When DSM boots in junior, it checks if root matches junior and if that fails it will fail into the recovery mode. 

We need to do that manually before that first boot after the upgrade. The postupdate does exactly that. It extracts the rd.gz found in the second partition and then extract over the same folder the files from the first partition rd.gz. Then packs the rd.gz and places that on the first partition to be used on next boot. 

After that the first boot finds the required files on the first partition ramdisk and continues. 

The TCRP Friend makes it a bit easier as this is detected and patched on the fly. To bring TCRP friend on your system, once you are on TCRP, type ./rploader.sh bringfriend. If you plan to use TCRP Friend, do that BEFORE you perform any updates and  maybe keep a backup of your loader disk as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

Hi @pocopicotoday I tried a lot of different combinations of DSM versions and different acpid extensions:

First observation: WOL is not working anymore. It is not possible to activate that option within the power settings.

Further more jimmyGALLAND and dodo-dk extensions are able to handles power button events. Is it possible to add this feature to your extension?

One last thing, when I tested the extension of jimmyGALLAND I startet at DSM 7.0.1. Buttons where working fine. Then I upgraded to DSM 7.1.0 and later to 7.1.1.

There the power button stops working. When I directly created the loader for DSM 7.1.0 the power buttons works fine also for DSM 7.1.1.

Is there a need to reapply extensions or how are the extensions are updated while DSM perform updates? For the acpid extensions there are different recipes for the different DSM versions?

@pocopicodo you need any other additional input here?

2 hours ago, pocopico said:

Well if postupdate does not work also, then you should still end up in recovery mode when you select the first USB option.

Press recover and then run boot into TCRP and run postupdate again.

Thanks, that works! Didn't know I had to recover.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pocopico said:

I'm still thinking what might be wrong ... are you sending the WoL packet to which interface ? 

I am sending it via the Synology assistant to eth0 my one and only network card. 

This card is a marvell yukon card where I have to install the sky2 extension.

Edited by Dreadnought
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 2:37 AM, pocopico said:

The TCRP Friend makes it a bit easier as this is detected and patched on the fly. To bring TCRP friend on your system, once you are on TCRP, type ./rploader.sh bringfriend. If you plan to use TCRP Friend, do that BEFORE you perform any updates and  maybe keep a backup of your loader disk as well.

With regards backing up of the loader disk before doing this. How do most people perform this?

Looking for the simplest way as Linux skills aren't the greatest.......be even better if it could be done using the USB inserted into a W11 device.

On 9/30/2022 at 7:24 AM, Franks4fingers said:

With regards backing up of the loader disk before doing this. How do most people perform this?

Looking for the simplest way as Linux skills aren't the greatest.......be even better if it could be done using the USB inserted into a W11 device.

rploader.sh has the backup feature included. 

./rploader.sh backuploader will backup the contents of the first two partitions in the third partition backup folder. You can copy these to a cifs/smb file share and then if needed copy over the file into the third partition loader and use the ./rploader.sh restoreloader to restore.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 10:13 AM, Dreadnought said:

Last addition from my site. The issue is not only related to TCRP friend. I Also tested the normal 7.1.0 installation, I there it is also not possible for me to activate WOL even the MAC address configured in the loader is matching to the real one. 

I am the only person who is unable to activate WOL, so maybe there is an error / misconfiguration on my site?

1 hour ago, Dreadnought said:

I am the only person who is unable to activate WOL, so maybe there is an error / misconfiguration on my site?

I havent had the chance to test it. I really dont know, do you standby or shutdown the DSM and then want wake by sending the magic packet ? Also mobaxterm (free edition) has the option to send WoL packets do you mind trying with that also ? 

22 minutes ago, pocopico said:

I havent had the chance to test it. I really dont know, do you standby or shutdown the DSM and then want wake by sending the magic packet ? Also mobaxterm (free edition) has the option to send WoL packets do you mind trying with that also ? 

I shutdown the NAS system. The problem is that I am not able to active the WOL option within the power settings. Each time I try it and save the change settings, the check mark is gone. 

16 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

I shutdown the NAS system. The problem is that I am not able to active the WOL option within the power settings. Each time I try it and save the change settings, the check mark is gone. 

Dont rely on DSM GUI for the WoL feature. WoL should work out of the box if you enable that on your BIOS settings.

1 minute ago, pocopico said:

Dont rely on DSM GUI for the WoL feature. WoL should work out of the box if you enable that on your BIOS settings.

Ah ok, I never tested to send the magic package, cause I thought It won't work cause the option in DSM is not set.

I will test it, later this day. But without the option set, the Synology Assistant is not able to send the magic package. 

I will try another tool for that and will report.

17 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

Ah ok, I never tested to send the magic package, cause I thought It won't work cause the option in DSM is not set.

I will test it, later this day. But without the option set, the Synology Assistant is not able to send the magic package. 

I will try another tool for that and will report.

There is one thing missing.

According to user reports and my experience so far,

Broadwellnk (DS3622xs+) is the only platform that can start WOL and auto power on REDPILL.

There are reports of other platforms not working, not sure why.

• Confused 1

I tested the DS3622xs+ with my Ryzen MOBO, ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING and Ryzen 3 3300X 4-Core 8-TH.

It's BearMetal.

I haven't even installed the NMVe cache yet.

I tested it with only one SSD disk.

There is no problem when booting with only TCRP,

Kernel panics when loading as a TCRP friend.

This is the log captured through the serial port.

Can you tell me what's causing the kernel panic?

1603746015_2022-09-306_45_18.thumb.png.6f11f6a6f9ee9c1348273c4a324e10be.png

And, I tried another model, DS1621+.

Even with NVMe cache installed

The TCRP friend works very well.

Edited by Peter Suh

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

I tested the DS3622xs+ with my Ryzen MOBO, ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING and Ryzen 3 3300X 4-Core 8-TH.

It's BearMetal.

I haven't even installed the NMVe cache yet.

I tested it with only one SSD disk.

There is no problem when booting with only TCRP,

Kernel panics when loading as a TCRP friend.

This is the log captured through the serial port.

Can you tell me what's causing the kernel panic?

1603746015_2022-09-306_45_18.thumb.png.6f11f6a6f9ee9c1348273c4a324e10be.png

And, I tried another model, DS1621+.

Even with NVMe cache installed

The TCRP friend works very well.

I can tell you why if you enable redpill dev module and capture again 

Hello guys,

My system is currently running TCRP v0.8.0.5 DS918+ DSM 7.1-42661U4 and I'd like to upgrade to TCRP 0.9.x.x DSM 7.1.1-42962

What is the correct sequence/procedure?
1. upgrading first DSM via the GUI, then booting from a new USB drive with TCRP 0.9.x.x?
or
2. first booting from a new USB with TCRP 0.9.x.x and then upgrading DSM?

In either case, is it necessary to run the postupdate command?

thx

14 hours ago, Franks4fingers said:

Another way to do it is to put the usb drive in a Windows machine, and use win32 disk imager. There is an option to "Read Only Allocated Partitions" that is usefull, that way you can dump all three partitions, and not the full drive, and save them in an IMG file on your computer. You can then flash it to another drive or restore it if necessary later...

• Like 1

• Polanskiman changed the title to TinyCore RedPill loader (TCRP) - Development release 0.9