XPEnology Community

New Install

shailesh1

Hello,

I have just installed Xpenology on my Dell Optiplex 755. The install was very quick and easy but I was wondering if someone could help me with a couple of issues?

1. I have four 6TB disks installed but can only see 2 disks initialized. Is there any way to initialise the other disks in the software? BIOS is showing that all 4 disks are installed.

2. I did try to create both a volume and then a disk group as the volume error was failed to apply the settings. When I tried the disk group, I got the same error but not sure why.

3. Would it be better to buy a dedicated RAID controller card or use the inbuilt software version?

Thanks in advance.

Shailesh

sorry, my english is not good ...

What is your BIOS-Version on the DO755MT?

The last version on my DO755MT is A22.

I have five 4TB-HDDs in my System, 2 in side and 3 in a hotswap-backplane.

The last drive is on the internal eSATA-Port connected. I had activated in the BIOS after the drive has been connected on the Port.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

My bios version is also A22. I have the 4 disks connected to the 4 SATA ports. Which hotswap back plane did you use?

Maybe it's because I'm using 6TB disks?

I also enabled the raid setting in the bios but I had to disconnect all the drives first. If I try to access any of the drive settings while these drives are plugged in, the bios freezes. Not sure why that is.

I'm using DSM version 5. I heard about the issues with 6 so decided against using it.

OK, I'll change the bios settings to AHCI-Mode.

I'm using WD60EFRX as my disks, hopefully they are not the problem with the system. I will take a look at the Enermax EMK5301. Thanks.

I have changed the bios to AHCI-Mode and am still having the same issue. The error is still saying failed to apply settings.

One message I just noticed is a system event warning - Abnormality detected. All volumes have been unmounted.

I think the next step is to test all the drives are working correctly.

I have changed the bios to AHCI-Mode and am still having the same issue. The error is still saying failed to apply settings.

One message I just noticed is a system event warning - Abnormality detected. All volumes have been unmounted.

I think the next step is to test all the drives are working correctly.

Check sata cables swap Working HD's connect them where the ones don't work see if the working show up. Upgrade Bios or downgrade. Try a sata card if you have one Reinstall maybe bad install.

Hope this help good luck.

I've now tested all 4 disks using the Western Digital Data Lifeguard for windows (I used an external USB enclosure to test each disk, one at a time) and all 4 disks passed.

I then changed the sata cables and swapped around the disks. The same 2 disks are shown are not initialized. The abnormality message is also there. Seems like 2 of the hard drives are not liked by Xpenology.

Not sure what to do next.

I did try and clean the partitions using the link and I managed to get all 4 disks initialized, so thank you very much for your help.

Unfortunately, I still couldn't get a raid 5 volume created no matter which option I tried. I even tried creating a simple volume, no raid, with just 2 disks but still get the same error - failed to apply settings. I used both the automatic options and manual options but couldn't create any volumes.

Maybe I'm missing a step?

I think I may have finally fixed the issue.

I tried the version 5.2-5967.1 and rebuilt the DSM from scratch, only after using the diskpart utility again to clean all 4 disks.

After loading the new version, I created a disk group which worked straight away. I then managed to create a RAID 5 volume with 16.36TB, so I hope it is working now. Thanks to everyone for your help.