XPEnology Community

Problems with DSM 5.2-5644.5 VM and HBA passthrough

mmaeso

Hello,

I'm running ESXI 6.0u2 in a Microserver Gen8 with an E3 1220l-v2, 16Gb of ram and a recently added HP P212 hba. Everything works fine if I create local RDMs and add them to the VM, but if I passthrough the HBA to the virtual machine, xpenoboot gets stuck at "Loading module hpsa: [busy]".

I tried booting a baremetal DSM5.2-5644 and it works perfectly and it detects the HBA disks in slots 7,8,9 and 10. I've also tried different bootloaders for the VM with varying results; 5.1 bootloaders can't see the HBA nor the disks, and DSM5.2-5967.1 boots correctly but it doesn't see the disks attached to the HBA (It also doesn't let me create volumes from the virtual disks attached.

Is there a solution to the "Loading module hpsa: [busy]" problem? Ideally, I'd like to keep the VM and pass the HBA through to it.

Yes, vsphere client does it automatically when you passthrough a pci device. I've been doing a bit more testing and I think it might have something to do with the ESXi, because I tried passing the hba to a windows machine and it also got stuck booting. ESXi build is 4192238 and I also updated the ESXi hp driver, although I'm not sure this one was completely necessary.

Are you running a vanilla install of ESXi or the HPE customized image? There was a problem with passthrough on HP servers for ESXi 5.1 and 5.5. They say it's been fixed in 6.0, but it's not clear if you have to deploy the custom image to get the fix...

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/pub ... n-uk&cc=uk

I assume that you've updated the firmware on both the server and HBA?

I updated iLO and HBA firmware to the latests versions, BIOS already came updated. I'm running vanilla version of ESXi but after running into trouble I installed the p212 esxi driver. Just to clarify, the virtual machines DO start up, but then hang on boot, sometimes even crashing the vmkernel. I might have to go back to the local RDM route, sadly :sad: