XPEnology Community

DSM 6 Boot Image for Hyper-V

KaraokeStu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Only XPEnoboot 5.2-5967.1 (17/07/2016) is working stable on Hyper-V.

DSM 6.0 is not supported until now (driver problems).

Please have a look at the general diskussion

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24308#p82016

I think it's' not only driver problem, but some needed parts are missing on synology kernel

Reading some web it seems we need these drivers

CONFIG_HYPERVISOR_GUEST: Processor type and featueres > Linux Guest Support
CONFIG_PARAVIRT: Processor type and features > Linux Guest Support > Enable paravirtualization code
CONFIG_PARAVIRT_SPINLOCKS: Processor type and features > Linux Guest Support > Paravirtualization layer for spinlocks
CONFIG_HYPERV: Device Drivers > Microsoft Hyper-V guest support > Microsoft Hyper-V client drivers
CONFIG_HYPERV_UTILS: Device Drivers > Microsoft Hyper-V guest support > Microsoft Hyper-V Utilities driver
CONFIG_HYPERV_BALLOON: Device Drivers > Microsoft Hyper-V guest support > Microsoft Hyper-V Balloon driver
CONFIG_HYPERV_NET: Device Drivers > Network device support > Microsoft Hyper-V virtual network driver
CONFIG_HYPERV_STORAGE: Device Drivers > SCSI device support > SCSI low-level drivers > Microsoft Hyper-V virtual storage driver
CONFIG_HYPERV_KEYBOARD: Device Drivers > Input device support > Hardware I/O ports > Microsoft Synthetic Keyboard driver
CONFIG_FB_HYPERV: Device Drivers > Graphics support > Frame buffer Devices > Microsoft Hyper-V Synthetic Video support
CONFIG_HID_HYPERV_MOUSE: Device Drivers > HID support > Special HID drivers > Microsoft Hyper-V mouse driver

That aren't present in synology kernel source.

Are there any guides on how to inject drivers?

I'm thinking why don't we just copy the ones from Sancombe's 5. img and put them into 6?

It might be a simplistic way of looking at it, but surely it could work?

Ah sorry, just read the above. We have to wait until Synology release the Kernal then..

I was able to get 6.0 running in gen 1 hyper-v but it comes up as 100mbps and the image i use did not allow upgrade. What i am going to try is to do the nic SR-IOV and see if that works in gen 2 hyper-v; will net you now

That's great medric!

I could test, if needed

I was able to get 6.0 running in gen 1 hyper-v but it comes up as 100mbps and the image i use did not allow upgrade. What i am going to try is to do the nic SR-IOV and see if that works in gen 2 hyper-v; will net you now

That's great medric!

I could test, if needed

+1 for testing.

Can you share your findings too? The more people we have we the shared knowledge on how to do this, the better chance we have of getting a Hyper-V img out the door when DSM 6.x or 7x is released.

Why do you want to move to HPV pay to play?

Some of us have Windows Server as the hosting server OS for one reason or another. I guess the alternative would be to run VMware workstation which would be extra.(unless pirated of course). Hyper-v comes free though and integrates nicely with the Windows ecosystem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got it to boot under Hyper-V. No network yet! But you'll need a sata drive for that.

I used Etcher in dangerous mode to write the .img file to a 16GB SSD (salvaged from a Thin Client)

Attached the drive to my Windows 2016 server via a Sharkoon SATA to USB converter.

Offlined the disk in Windows Disk Management

Created a new Hyper-V VM with the offline disk as a boot device

Powered on the device and....

full.jpg

Alas, no networking yet.