XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

4 hours ago, macross9321 said:

is this a driver issue?

no matter what version of the Jun Loader I setup my network card only get a 169 IP address

if I use the expanded extra file - I won't even get this far

Post.JPG

That problem concern the ip attribution on your local network.

The adress 169.X is an APIPA adress. You'r equipement gives this adress because your DHCP Server (Your ISP Box i think) have a problem and not attribute a correct ip on your equipement. 

If it's possible indicate the MAC address of your NAS on your ISP box and force the ip adress.

I don't think that's problem concerne your network drivers.

Edited by Genesys

Hi guys. I've recently upgraded my hardware from 2 core CPU (AMD E350) to a 4 core CPU (Intel J1900). Along with the hardware I went with DSM upgrade from 5.1 to 6.1.3.

To make all 4 cores appear in DSM I used DS3617xs firmware and loader. But it lacks some 3rd party packages I need. So I had to go back to the DS3615xs, but I stayed with DSM 6.1.3.

My question is if the DS3615xs system still uses all 4 cores of J1900 CPU, although it shows only 2? Should I look forward to upgrade to DS3617xs when packages I need become available or there is no point waiting? What are the practical reasons and pros of DS3617xs over the DS3615xs?

1 hour ago, Doman said:

Hi guys. I've recently upgraded my hardware from 2 core CPU (AMD E350) to a 4 core CPU (Intel J1900). Along with the hardware I went with DSM upgrade from 5.1 to 6.1.3.

To make all 4 cores appear in DSM I used DS3617xs firmware and loader. But it lacks some 3rd party packages I need. So I had to go back to the DS3615xs, but I stayed with DSM 6.1.3.

My question is if the DS3615xs system still uses all 4 cores of J1900 CPU, although it shows only 2? Should I look forward to upgrade to DS3617xs when packages I need become available or there is no point waiting? What are the practical reasons and pros of DS3617xs over the DS3615xs?

The cpuinfo in control panel is hard coded, which is why it shows 2 cores because that's what a DS3615xs has. If your system has 4 cores they will all be used, run cat /proc/cpuinfo from a terminal window to confirm.

5 minutes ago, lunzet said:

I was wondering on the same. Could someone explain what the differences are --> pros / cons --> do's and dont's?

There is at least one thread in the forum on this discussion:

I personally use 3615 on a GA Z77X-UP4 TH board with a i7 CPU. My understanding is that use cases are different. There's some value in reviewing the official specs of these machines on Synology.com and choosing the system that most closely matches the hardware you're actually running, so that DSM features work as expected. I personally don't use most of the built-in features (for example, the 916 I think is optimized for transcoding if you use the DS Video app but I use Plex, which doesn't care what version of Synology box it's running on, it'll just use the hardware it has). You'll see some cosmetic stuff like hard-coded CPU cores and such in the UI that doesn't affect how the box runs. Then there's something about drivers included in each build. You can choose one and "migrate" to another (Synology will see it as moving the disks to new hardware) if you find you made the wrong choice.

• Like 1

On 7-9-2017 at 7:00 AM, andyl8u said:

I did the same setting but it still won't see the HD.  What did you chance on the grub.cfg file?  I'm using the SYBA SD-PEX40104 8 port PCI Sata card and it have the marvell 88SE9215 and 88SM9705 chipset. 

yes, thats normal with a marvell chipset, its a bug on the chip

read here number 4 : https://www.v-front.de/2013/11/how-to-make-your-unsupported-sata-ahci.html

On 07/04/2017 at 7:09 AM, fonix232 said:

The 3615 does not have the time bomb built into the DS3617xs images. It's like Synology expected us to use it for XPE loaders. Which makes sense, since it's their best tower NAS at the moment.

I hit the time bomb issue on my system running 1.02b + DS3617xs. Can anyone confirm that the DS3615xs image does in fact solve this problem?

Edited by yale-xpo

4 hours ago, maxime said:

Hi everyone!
If I want to add a second lan card, do I have to edit grub.cfg and add a string like "set mac1= " (with MacAddress)?

not realy, it will work without that, you can do it later, only when using wol it will be important

also the numbering starts with 1 so the second lan card will be "set mac2="

• Like 1

Yeah thanks. I know that tutorial.

Just wondering what is really required for running dsm on vmware as i think its different than baremetal:

vid / pid usb --> only for baremetal right?

sn --> required for vmware and also baremetal

mac --> only for enabling wol? (so optional for vmware/baremetal)

is this correct? :-/

5 hours ago, lunzet said:

Yeah thanks. I know that tutorial.

Just wondering what is really required for running dsm on vmware as i think its different than baremetal:

vid / pid usb --> only for baremetal right?

yes

sn --> required for vmware and also baremetal

yes, but only some funcktions or plugins seem to depend on that, might be more in the future to get rid of freeloaders like us

mac --> only for enabling wol? (so optional for vmware/baremetal)

not entirely as i have seen that on virtula box vm you need a matching mac in vm and boot image to get network working, i've never used vmware/esxi with dsm, baremetal seems to work without matchin it to the reall mac but i would ecomend to do it