XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Hi all,

I tried fresh installing 6.1.3 on my EX490 (first experience.) The installation runs fine and all is well until after a few days dsm crashes and I'm shown the message "Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found". 

- SSH acces works

- DSM doesn't work

- Photostation doesn't work etc.

/var/log/synoservice.log shows: "2017-08-28T12:28:41+02:00 xxxxx synoservice: service_start.c:180 synoservice: [pkgctl-PhotoStation] start failed.[0x0000 (null):0]"

messages in kern.log:

2017-08-27T17:31:36+02:00 xxxxx kernel: [110873.622674] uart write failed
2017-08-27T17:31:38+02:00 xxxxx kernel: [110874.765219] uart write failed
2017-08-27T17:31:39+02:00 xxxxx kernel: [110875.873261] uart write failed
2017-08-27T17:31:40+02:00 xxxxx kernel: [110877.501666] SYNO.Core.Repor[4863]: segfault at 7f99121afdb4 ip 00007f949913feea sp 00007ffe76ee7320 error 4 in ld-2.20-2014.11.so[7f9499137000+21000]
2017-08-27T17:31:42+02:00 xxxxx kernel: [110879.168262] SYNO.Finder.Fil[4872]: segfault at 7f9d51a0c7cc ip 00007f949913feea sp 00007ffe76ee72e0 error 4 in ld-2.20-2014.11.so[7f9499137000+21000]
2017-08-27T17:31:43+02:00 xxxxx kernel: [110880.140796] SYNO.Entry.Requ[4885]: segfault at 7f9d51a0c7cc ip 00007f949913feea sp 00007ffe76ee79c0 error 4 in ld-2.20-2014.11.so[7f9499137000+21000]
2017-08-27T17:31:46+02:00 xxxxx kernel: [110882.723876] SYNO.Core.Repor[4882]: segfault at 7f99121afdb4 ip 00007f949913feea sp 00007ffe76ee7320 error 4 in ld-2.20-2014.11.so[7f9499137000+21000]

I can probably reinstall (did that 2 times) but would like a stable system. Do I need to downgrade or is this fixable? 

16 hours ago, jarugut said:

You need to configure your BIOS with the both external usb connected to the pc. In the boot priority of the USB you need to be sure that the USB boot is the first device.

As you describe it seems like some external usb have more priority than your USB boot and that is the possible reason because not boot your NAS.

As I said, "I already confirmed BIOS settings, and the only option to boot is the pen I'am using to boot DSM."

The only boot option is the pen drive to boot DSM, all others I deleted. The more strange, this only happen when the PC is off more than one day.

11 hours ago, rodastm said:

As I said, "I already confirmed BIOS settings, and the only option to boot is the pen I'am using to boot DSM."

The only boot option is the pen drive to boot DSM, all others I deleted. The more strange, this only happen when the PC is off more than one day.

Replace your mobo battery.

1 hour ago, waspsoton said:

I am trying to install the 6.1.3 update 3 from 6.1.3 update 1. but when I try I am getting an error "fail to update the file. the file is probably corrupt". I have re downloaded it three times. any ideas??

Download update 3 file to your hard drive, reboot your nas and manually update from the file you just downloaded.

2 hours ago, Elpee said:

Replace your mobo battery.

I already thinked that, but the time and date aren't lost neither other configurations. The mobo have about 3 years and before use to DSM was used as normal workstation, almost every day worked. I will try and then give feedback.

Thanks

I'd just like to offer a HUGE thank you to Jun and Polanskiman, I've had to hold off on updating past 6.0.2 x8451 because I'm on an AMD setup:

AMD A6 7400K

MSI A88XI AC v2 FM2+ mITX

8GB RAM

In a Fractal Design Node 304 box that had been running the original Polanskiman's tutorial. Decided on a whim to see if Jun's 1.0.2B loader would work, load it on a USB stick and voila! The box booted up and Synology Assistant found it right away.

The only "hiccup" I ran into was, when the box booted up the Assistant asked if I want to migrate, and when I tried migrating with 6.0.2 x 8451 it gave me an error. Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)" Double checked the VID and PID and nothing seems to work, even a forced install didn't work. Double checked the .PAT file, re-downloaded, and still no go. Finally gave up and have the DSM migration wizard download "the latest" 6.1.3 and again, VOILA! Box booted up an have been running like a champ.

I was hesitant on letting migration wizard do its thing and install the latest, but assumed that even if it nuked the drive, I can walk it back using the older loader and reinstall 6.0.2 x8451 and copy all the files I backed up before I started. Lucky I didn't have to do that with 2 TB of data over USB.

Just happy to report that loader 1.0.2B seems to work on my AMD box okay.

1 hour ago, thehack2321 said:

I'd just like to offer a HUGE thank you to Jun and Polanskiman, I've had to hold off on updating past 6.0.2 x8451 because I'm on an AMD setup:

AMD A6 7400K

MSI A88XI AC v2 FM2+ mITX

8GB RAM

In a Fractal Design Node 304 box that had been running the original Polanskiman's tutorial. Decided on a whim to see if Jun's 1.0.2B loader would work, load it on a USB stick and voila! The box booted up and Synology Assistant found it right away.

The only "hiccup" I ran into was, when the box booted up the Assistant asked if I want to migrate, and when I tried migrating with 6.0.2 x 8451 it gave me an error. Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)" Double checked the VID and PID and nothing seems to work, even a forced install didn't work. Double checked the .PAT file, re-downloaded, and still no go. Finally gave up and have the DSM migration wizard download "the latest" 6.1.3 and again, VOILA! Box booted up an have been running like a champ.

I was hesitant on letting migration wizard do its thing and install the latest, but assumed that even if it nuked the drive, I can walk it back using the older loader and reinstall 6.0.2 x8451 and copy all the files I backed up before I started. Lucky I didn't have to do that with 2 TB of data over USB.

Just happy to report that loader 1.0.2B seems to work on my AMD box okay.

Well personally I'm still on 6.0.2.x firmware and everything has been rock stable for me for months now. No reason to ever upgrade if you don't need the new shiny features, security patches are nice though :smile:

I was about to make a video tutorial on how to upgrade to 6.1 with 1.02b after over a month with successful testing when suddenly one drive crashed. SMART values are fine and disk is ok, so it's false positive, upon rebuild another one bites to dust... also a false positive. I still suspect the 9201-16i PCI card to have some issues with XPenology, but the weird thing is that this only happens every 1-2 years. Could also be stress-related since I this time started a scrub hours before it happened. I have plenty of cooling, replaced all wires and drives, still the same thing happen a few month later. Since I'm on ESXi I don't think that anything else apart from the PCI controller, wires, drives and bay should matter but I'm left completely clueless on this one.

Anyone else had sudden crashes for no apparent reason?

Edited by NeoID

Hi Guys,

This maybe a stupid question, but i want to try and install xpenology on a HP DL360 G7.

Now i have installed Jun's loader 1.02a2 on usb and it boots from it, after the boot it says to find the machine through find.synology.com, but it's not found.

What am I doing wrong?

@jun would it be possible to show the IP's on the boot screen?

FYI, the machine is powered on and connected to my network

12 hours ago, emkookmer said:

Hi Guys,

This maybe a stupid question, but i want to try and install xpenology on a HP DL360 G7.

Now i have installed Jun's loader 1.02a2 on usb and it boots from it, after the boot it says to find the machine through find.synology.com, but it's not found.

What am I doing wrong?

@jun would it be possible to show the IP's on the boot screen?

FYI, the machine is powered on and connected to my network

i know what I did wrong, and it's a read facepalm.....

anyway i got a little bit further, it seems my logical drive (smart array P410i) is not recognized. my guess would be that the drivers are not loaded, but is should be supported:

I even added Polanskiman's Extra.lzma custom ramdisk , but still no luck as it doesn't contain hpsa.ko

How do I enabled these drivers.

Edited by emkookmer

On 2017-08-31 at 8:25 PM, thehack2321 said:

when the box booted up the Assistant asked if I want to migrate, and when I tried migrating with 6.0.2 x 8451 it gave me an error. Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)" 

I'm stuck at this point, tried different bootloaders and different DSM versions, i have followed the video tutorial found in this tread.

i have tried manual installs without success. 

the thing is, i have 2 HP Gen 8, one running Xpen 5.2, and the new one i'm trying to install 6.1 on.

im open to any sugestion. 

I keep seeing conflicting information on whether DSM 6.1 will work on a HP Microserver N36L, I have already tried to boot it using the 1.01 bootloader but it never appears on Synology Assistant.

This particular N36L has the AMD Neo Processor, the 1.01 bootloader suggests that AMD is supported.

I have got 5.2-5967 running on it.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Spies

4 hours ago, Spies said:

I keep seeing conflicting information on whether DSM 6.1 will work on a HP Microserver N36L, I have already tried to boot it using the 1.01 bootloader but it never appears on Synology Assistant.

This particular N36L has the AMD Neo Processor, the 1.01 bootloader suggests that AMD is supported.

I have got 5.2-5967 running on it.

Am I doing something wrong?

The N36L should be ok as I've got a N40L running DSM 6.1 with Jun's 1.02b loader.

You can download the 1.02b bootloader from here:

Create the bootloader, edit the grub.conf & set the vid, pid for your USB stick. Boot the microserver into the bios & disable C1E support, then boot from the newly created USB.

You should now be able to use find.synology.com to locate the server.

Edited by Dfds

20 minutes ago, Dfds said:

The N36L should be ok as I've got a N40L running DSM 6.1 with Jun's 1.02b loader.

You can download the 1.02b bootloader from here:

Create the bootloader, edit the grub.conf & set the vid, pid for your USB stick. Boot the microserver into the bios & disable C1E support, then boot from the newly created USB.

You should now be able to use find.synology.com to locate the server.

This is what's confusing, the OP clearly states that 1.02b has no AMD support, looking at the IMG file it's missing bzimage and the AMD line in the grub.conf is commented out.

Was yours just a clean install of 6.1 or did you upgrade from something else?

Just now, Spies said:

This is what's confusing, the OP clearly states that 1.02b has no AMD support, looking at the IMG file it's missing bzimage and the AMD line in the grub.conf is commented out.

Was yours just a clean install of 6.1 or did you upgrade from something else?

Yes Jun has stated that there isn't any AMD support in his loader but people have had success using it on various AMD systems. My N40L was running DSM 5.2 so I chose to migrate after booting from the 1.02b loader.

8 hours ago, Dfds said:

Yes Jun has stated that there isn't any AMD support in his loader but people have had success using it on various AMD systems. My N40L was running DSM 5.2 so I chose to migrate after booting from the 1.02b loader.

Thanks, your explanation helped a lot, I now have 6.1 running :smile:

Hello,

After looking for several minutes the engineer of the German airbag :)

I would like to update my "Syno" Currently on a Jun version v1.01 DS3615xs with DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 11

I would like to know if I can go directly to the Jun 1.02b version? so what DSM do I install and up to what update can I go?

Can I switch from DS3615xs to DS3617xs? Do you have a quick little procedure?

Thank you for your answers

PS: I try in vain, installing also on a Proliant ML350 G6, unsuccessfully, if you have a track

config

ASRock Q2900M

2x Intel (R) EXPI9301CTBLK (in LACP)

BTRFS RAID5