XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

newbie here

try to boot with (DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img) write in to usb. but cannot manage to boot with  intel motherboard dp35dp. can anyone give me some advice. 

but it did boot with version :DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5 without any problem.

thanks in advance. and sorry for my bad English.

18 hours ago, yale-xpo said:

The 6.1 loader is working on AMD Ryzen (with SMT/all cores & threads enabled) via ESXi 6.5 update 1.

I'm trying to pass through the raw disk using RDM. It works initially, I can load DSM, but after a reboot the disks are 'not initialized' - it's like they are in non-persistent mode.

Using WD Red 4TB + RDM + Physical Mode (It won't let me select virtual mapping) + Independent - Persistent.

Anyone know why this would not be working?

6 hours ago, yale-xpo said:

I'm trying to pass through the raw disk using RDM. It works initially, I can load DSM, but after a reboot the disks are 'not initialized' - it's like they are in non-persistent mode.

Got this to work by using a SATA controller rather than a SCSI controller, I also had to boot xpenology using the default option rather than the vmware/esxi option.

how do i update v1.02b (DS3615xs, DS3617xs and DS916+) is for DSM 6.1

from DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8

i don't want to stuff up anything i still do the same thing as   op said? but just put the same info what i did before do i let 

DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8 boot up on loader v1.02b ? and then install DSM 6.1.3-15152 main file once booted up

On 10/28/2016 at 11:18 PM, Polanskiman said:

:!: You want to modify the following: :!:

Change vid=0x090C to vid=0x[your usb drive vid]

Change pid=0x1000 to pid=0x[your usb drive pid]

Change sn=C7LWN09761 to sn=generate your sn here with DS3615xs model

Change mac1=0011322CA785 to mac1=[your NIC MAC address]. You can also add set mac2=[your NIC MAC address #2] and so on until mac4 if you have multiple NICs. However, this is not necessary.

Optional: Change set timeout='1' to set timeout='4' - This will allow you more time to make a selection in the Grub Boot Menu when it appears. 

On 24/08/2017 at 1:37 AM, NeoID said:

You would think that ESXi completely virtualizes the CPU and by default it does. However, once you enable passthrough the situation seems to change and the CPU is limited to the instructions it actually supports. It's like enabling passthrough punches a hole in the virtualization layer.... I'll investigate/prove this right or wrong when testing this with other PCI devices in passthrough mode instead of the current LSI SATA controller. So if anyone has tried using AMD on ESXi please let me know. My assumption is that it works well, but breaks horrible once you enable passthrough.

I tested enabling passthrough on an AMD with ESXi 6.5 with the latest loader and DSM 6.1.3 and it still seems to work. I don't have a PCI SAS/SATA controller at the moment so passed through a pci video card instead - but I think that should satisfy the passthrough test.

Now time to order a SAS/SATA controller; I'm thinking an LSI 9211-8i.

5 hours ago, yale-xpo said:

I tested enabling passthrough on an AMD with ESXi 6.5 with the latest loader and DSM 6.1.3 and it still seems to work. I don't have a PCI SAS/SATA controller at the moment so passed through a pci video card instead - but I think that should satisfy the passthrough test.

Now time to order a SAS/SATA controller; I'm thinking an LSI 9211-8i.

Thanks, but I've figured it out. The problem was that I had to enbale hotplug cpu in esxi. Everything is working great now. I have the 9201-16i myself and it's great once you know about the setting.

On 8/5/2017 at 11:41 PM, redskies said:

I have DSM 6.0.2 running Jun loader on Esxi 6.0 with a smaller 24 mb vmdk that is boot drive (disk 1) and larger vmdk hard drive (disk 2) that contains data and apps. I am trying to upgrade to DSM 6.1 with v1.02b DS3615xs. I can get the virtual machine to boot but I get a message no hard drive installed even though the vmdk hard drive that contains data and apps is connected as disk 2 with v1.02b drive as disk 1. I am not sure what has changed ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I get an error about insufficient system space (-16) when I try to install pat file when I try to revert back to DSM 6.0.2 with v1.01. I am stuck now. I have data and system partitions on single vmdk. How can either revert back to DSM 6.0.2 or upgrade to DSM 6.1 ?

On 8/26/2017 at 8:29 PM, pauldiaz said:

how do i update v1.02b (DS3615xs, DS3617xs and DS916+) is for DSM 6.1

from DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8

i don't want to stuff up anything i still do the same thing as   op said? but just put the same info what i did before do i let 

DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8 boot up on loader v1.02b ? and then install DSM 6.1.3-15152 main file once booted up

There is a search function. Please use it: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7857-how-to-update-juns-loader/?do=findComment&comment=75881

Unfortunately im still on quicknicks version as al other combinations with Jun's loader versions and different extra.lzma files failed onmy System. Either my adaptec HBA 1000 16i or my onboard NIC Realtek 8111 (on Gigabyte Z170 Board) is not recognized.

Can anyone recommend me a NIC Chipset, thats working for sure? Then i will buy a PCIe NIC and use that instead of the onboard for further experiments.

5 hours ago, Gubti said:

Unfortunately im still on quicknicks version as al other combinations with Jun's loader versions and different extra.lzma files failed onmy System. Either my adaptec HBA 1000 16i or my onboard NIC Realtek 8111 (on Gigabyte Z170 Board) is not recognized.

Can anyone recommend me a NIC Chipset, thats working for sure? Then i will buy a PCIe NIC and use that instead of the onboard for further experiments.

The Intel E1000 series of PCI-E NIC's work perfect with this and its what I use. Usually the quad nic E1000 but the dual nic works fine too. 

Basically any NIC with mainline linux support works out of the box.

In your case I would try an installation via ESXi and fool the DSM to only have one CPU socket. On every installation I see DSM sees every cpu core from the first CPU socket. Only the information page from DSM shows only 2 cpu cores but I think this is hard coded. A proof with "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and an installation of "htop" via qnapware shows easily that every cpu core will be used.
What do you want to do with such many cpu cores on a NAS?

Hello all.

I am using a bare metal version and I have a problem. I have two external usb hard drives always connected to pc, to backup data. Everything works, but if I turn off the pc and turn on after two days, the dsm doesn't boot. I have disconnect the external hard drives and reset the pc. But if I turn off the PC today and after 5 hours turn on again, booting normaly. I already confirmed BIOS settings, and the only option to boot is the pen I'am using to boot DSM.
Some one have ideia what can be?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, rodastm said:

Hello all.

I am using a bare metal version and I have a problem. I have two external usb hard drives always connected to pc, to backup data. Everything works, but if I turn off the pc and turn on after two days, the dsm doesn't boot. I have disconnect the external hard drives and reset the pc. But if I turn off the PC today and after 5 hours turn on again, booting normaly. I already confirmed BIOS settings, and the only option to boot is the pen I'am using to boot DSM.
Some one have ideia what can be?

Thanks.

You need to configure your BIOS with the both external usb connected to the pc. In the boot priority of the USB you need to be sure that the USB boot is the first device.

As you describe it seems like some external usb have more priority than your USB boot and that is the possible reason because not boot your NAS.

On 8/28/2017 at 11:00 PM, Balrog said:

In your case I would try an installation via ESXi and fool the DSM to only have one CPU socket. On every installation I see DSM sees every cpu core from the first CPU socket. Only the information page from DSM shows only 2 cpu cores but I think this is hard coded. A proof with "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and an installation of "htop" via qnapware shows easily that every cpu core will be used.
What do you want to do with such many cpu cores on a NAS?

Ah gotcha! Well that's good at least, i hadn't thought to check /proc/cpuinfo. should've done that.

Big reason for wanting a loader from the FS3017 which would support 2 physical cpu's is to take advantage of that syno virtual machine app. Could run quite a few if it would only see that second cpu. Its not a huge deal if its a hassle to make, just would be nifty.

Hi everyone, 

i upgraded from 5.2 to 6.1 yesterday, and I have a interessting issue with the shared folders. It seems that if I delete a shared folder using DSM 6.1 and the shared folder was created with DSM 5.2 the folder will still remain visible on any connected client (even new clients that were never before connected to the DSM) using smb / SAMBA. Its not directly related to the bootloader, but maybe as a little warning of what might happen ;-) If someone would like to check, or maybe has a solution, please, be my guest in the following topic:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7883-smb-samba-clients-showing-deleted-shared-folders/