XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Gen8 using 1.02a2 DS36157xs put the VID, PID, SN generator and MAC into grub.cfg using blank drives I keep getting error 13.

1.02a works with same grub settings but DS3615xs loader + PAT.

I'm using gen8, 1.02a2 DS3617xs with changed VID, PID, SN & MAC, also getting error 13.

i think polanskiman said the 1.02a2 is pretty much the same as 1.02a, just extended for 3617xs (such as time bomb fix), so why not using 1.02a for 3615xs? it a working solution

1.02a for 3615 seems to have mixed results. I am still stuck on error code 13 with no end in sight. :???:

Proper vid/vip? Tried a force install?

@Polanskiman I figured it out. I accidentally removed 0x from the VID & PID :roll:

I installed on VMWare Workstation for testing, copied some files over and configured OneDrive and Dropbox. Left it running over night and the next day all I got was "Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found." when trying to access the Web UI.

I tried the different boot options which changed nothing. Because I haven't enabled SSH yet I can't access the VM anymore. Now I could just do it from scratch but then I won't learn anything :smile:.

Does anyone have an idea how I can fix that? I was thinking about mounting the virtual disk in Ubuntu and enabling SSH somehow to be able to see what's wrong. How would that work?

I installed on VMWare Workstation for testing, copied some files over and configured OneDrive and Dropbox. Left it running over night and the next day all I got was "Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found." when trying to access the Web UI.

I tried the different boot options which changed nothing. Because I haven't enabled SSH yet I can't access the VM anymore. Now I could just do it from scratch but then I won't learn anything :smile:.

Does anyone have an idea how I can fix that? I was thinking about mounting the virtual disk in Ubuntu and enabling SSH somehow to be able to see what's wrong. How would that work?

Considering what you are saying I can conclude you are using loader v1.02a for DS3617xs. If that is the case, read the OP. You need v1.02a2

Thanks, I switched to 1.02a2, restored old synoboot.vmdk and tried to recover over Web UI. After reboot I get the same message "Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found."

Is that expected?

Reinstall. DSM has most certainly purposely corrupted some system files since it detected it was not running on an intended hardware. v1.02a2 fixes that but you need to reinstall DSM. Read below:

Hi,

The are various check around DSM programs, especially in Web Interface, maybe some are still not found out.

One kind is to make sure you are running on real DSM hardwares, specifically, it checks that you have pci devices the model should have. This check is a bit forgiving, i.e., if you only have 9 out of the 10 devices, you may still pass the check. Some models have mcu to control powers, leds, fans, DSM also checks that it can communicate with the controller properly.

Another kind of check is to make sure your system does not have any clue that you pretend to be a DSM model, for example has some file named xpenoboot somewhere,or has pid, vid in kernel cmdline, these should not exists in a real DSM devices. Sometimes, it also checksum each other to make sure system executables are not patched.

If DSM determines that is is not run on intended hardware, it will try to unmount all your volumes, shutdown the system, sometimes also corrupt some DSM system files etc. No sign of intentionally breaking user data is observed though.

Clearly, your DSM software thinks that it is not running on a real DS712+ device, so it unmounts all your volumes.

And what I did is to make sure DSM gets what it wants, so it will run happlily and ignorantly.

Reinstall. DSM has most certainly purposely corrupted some system files since it detected it was not running on an intended hardware. v1.02a2 fixed that. Read below:

Reinstalling now and hoping it'll work :smile:. Do you know how long it takes DSM to notice if it's on non-Synology hardware?

Reinstall. DSM has most certainly purposely corrupted some system files since it detected it was not running on an intended hardware. v1.02a2 fixed that. Read below:

Reinstalling now and hoping it'll work :smile:. Do you know how long it takes DSM to notice if it's on non-Synology hardware?

It varies but somewhere between 12h/24h/48h. I guess it depends on the system load and usage, but those are the times that have been reported in the forum so far. With v1.02a2 there shouldn't be any issues.

First of all thank you Jun and Polanskiman!!! You are doing a great job!

My configuration is a HP Microserver G7 N54L (AMD), 8GB with DSM 6.1.1-15101-4 (Boot 1.02)

I would like to contribute to the other colleagues with my experience.

1. Lost configuration. I had a bad experience with a shutdown, when the NAS turned on with 6.1.1 15101 the system inform me that I lost all configuration. After make a lot of test, I remembered that I have an old disk from my NAS with 6.0.2 version. I’ve cloned the partition /dev/sdx1 (X is the disk with the old system version) over the /dev/sda1, I’ve used the dd command (example: dd if=/dev/sdx1 of=/dev/sda1 bs=1M). After that I booted with the 1.02 and the wizard detect a previous version configurations.

From that moment I have a backup of the /dev/sda1 partition in case of disaster. :razz:

2. Now my little issue: My NAS is working fine with no problems but I’m running over AMD processor with the default option of Intel boot. I’ve tried to use the bzimage in the USB boot stick with not success. The USB stick boot but the NAS not boot. I’ve used the OSFmount to mount add the bzimage.

Jun, Polanskiman do you have some news about the AMD option?

For the moment the only problem in my case is that I lost 4,6 GB of RAM memory because is reserved, I only able to use 3,4 GB. This lost memory is because I’m using the Intel boot.

Y6muVbV.png

Thank you in advance

Edited by Guest

Only Jun can answer that. He is the developper of the loader.

For the moment the only problem in my case is that I lost 4,6 GB of RAM memory because is reserved, I only able to use 3,4 GB. This lost memory is because I’m using the Intel boot.

Why don't you disable intel boot in BIOS? There is no need for intel boot to be enabled in principal.

Why don't you disable intel boot in BIOS? There is no need for intel boot to be enabled in principal.

Sorry Polanskiman,

I'm not understand you correctly! The Microserver have an AMD processor, and I've tried the bzimage with no success. The Microserver bios I think that not have anything about intel.

Maybe are you talking about some configuration in the grub.cfg file?

Sorry Polanskiman,

I'm not understand you correctly! The Microserver have an AMD processor, and I've tried the bzimage with no success. The Microserver bios I think that not have anything about intel.

Maybe are you talking about some configuration in the grub.cfg file?

I think I understand. FYI Intel® Boot is a proprietary name reason why I got confused. Simply stay on DSM 6.0.2 for now.

if someone can help, i know its an old question, answerd many times, but i was crosscompiling dvb drivers and saw that in make menuconfig you can configure the number of cpus you want, by default is 8 but, does any one tested if its possible to select more?

i can put more cpus there and save and gives me no error, but doesent know if its possible to make one loader that suports more cpus.

This is what I have seen others do:

try mounting the raid array in live ubuntu usb. Then replace /lib/modules/[yournic].ko with the one in /lib/modules/update/[yournic].ko

Let us know if that works.

Hey.

I tried to upgrade from 6.0.2 to 6.1.1 for my servers in the signature. Dell upgraded normal.

But the server on asus p8-z68 is now not available on the network (Realtek 8111E).

Server have 6 HDD in JBOD.

I have little knowledge in Linux. I boot from live linux (Ubuntu) - OK. How do I now copy the modules:

/lib/modules/[yournic].ko with the one in /lib/modules/update/[yournic].ko

I have to execute the command?

mdadm -Ee0.swap /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdс1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1 /dev/sdf1

And then what?

Hi,

I was in the old 6.0.2 DSM but is now considering seriously to get the updated 6.1 because of the SMB bugs, etc.

From older post, I know it is possible that I need to migrate to a new DSM instead of just upgrade to get it work properly.

On the other hand, I have a very slow and big online backup task created by hyper backup. It told me 1 month to get everything to load it online and now the incremental backup working nicely.

I would like to ask if I migrate to the new DSM, can I just resume the backup task, or if it will be removed and I need to recreate a new one?

My environment is DSM 6.0.2 inside a ESXi 6.5 box with a passthrough 8 port SATA Card. Thanks.

This is what I have seen others do:

try mounting the raid array in live ubuntu usb. Then replace /lib/modules/[yournic].ko with the one in /lib/modules/update/[yournic].ko

Let us know if that works.

Hey.

I tried to upgrade from 6.0.2 to 6.1.1 for my servers in the signature. Dell upgraded normal.

But the server on asus p8-z68 is now not available on the network (Realtek 8111E).

Server have 6 HDD in JBOD.

I have little knowledge in Linux. I boot from live linux (Ubuntu) - OK. How do I now copy the modules:

/lib/modules/[yournic].ko with the one in /lib/modules/update/[yournic].ko

I have to execute the command?

mdadm -Ee0.swap /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdс1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1 /dev/sdf1

And then what?

Look at my signature.

tried to update 6.02 -> 6.1.1 on bare metall

Did it work - No

Did I loose all data - Yes

Do I blame somebody for it - No

Did I have to reinstall - Yes

Am I happy - Yes

It is an Alpha loader and my box is only used as a backup for the true server so after reinstall, I just configured the backup jobb again. It actually took longer time to clean the disks for the new install :grin:

tried to update 6.02 -> 6.1.1 on bare metall

Did it work - No

Did I loose all data - Yes

Do I blame somebody for it - No

Did I have to reinstall - Yes

Am I happy - Yes

It is an Alpha loader and my box is only used as a backup for the true server so after reinstall, I just configured the backup jobb again. It actually took longer time to clean the disks for the new install :grin:

Updating, upgrading reinstallling does not cause loss of data. System and data are in two very distinct partitions.

some things get lost in config Polanskiman

Config and data are two different things. ALL personal data is in the data partition. That partition is always left untouched whether you do a reinstall, force install, migration or whatever DSM proposes you. System partition (OS and its configuration, apps and their configuration) are in a different partition (/dev/sda1) which is the one that gets modified/overwritten/changed.

i read some guys intalled correctly the 6.1.1 version on bare metal. I've tried with both 3617xs and 3615xs but i always get error 13 during install. pid, vid, sn and mac address are assigned correctly and the hard disk was cleaned before installing. what i'm missing?

running 1.02a 3615xs loader with 1.1 works perfect.