XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

modules/drivers for Broadcom NetXtreme® II 5709c and Realtek RTL8111 are included in the extra ramdisk of both loaders v1.02a and v1.02a2.

:: Loading module qlcnic ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module r8169 ... [  OK  ]

Try re-downloading the loader and doing a fresh install. For some reason the first download I did of v1.02a2 seemed to be missing some modules. Not sure if it was me who messed up, the download who got corrupted or that Jun actually updated the loader in the meantime but I re-downloaded and now those 2 among others more are showing.

If that's possible and if it still doesn't work try checking the logs through consol and a serial cable.

I backed down to 3615 1.02a just to see.

Still same issue.

Busting out serial cable.

Wish the Idrac console redirect would work.

Question.. I have a Dell Precision T7910

With 2 Xeon E5-2698v3(16 Cores Each) @ 2.3GHz Max 3.6Ghz Plus 128GB of ECC Ram

Why I can only see my CPU's as i3?

Its hardcoded in DSM as the i3; the speed will be correct and if you use the cli to report cpu cores it will be correct... Just not in the information screen.

Question for you guys. What would be the purpose of have such a powerfull PC for XPEnology?

I understand for example in the case of Freenas which is RAM hungry and ECC is very highly recommended if not mendatory, but in the case of XPEnology, why would we need more cores or a faster CPU? Why would we need more RAM? Would ECC be better or not?

With respect to powerful cpus, I can't say... I run a single Xeon L5630 as my esxi cpu and pass 3 vcores through.

For memory however, ECC while not required will be better than non-ECC simply as it does more verification to avoid checksum errors in the bits. FreeNAS benefits from ECC due to the ZFS filesystem error checking as it goes, however as DSM doesn't have this function yet it serves little purpose apart from to maybe reduce one area of bit corruption until its written to the hard disk. Personally, ECC > No ECC, but don't go out of your way for DSM.

Question for you guys. What would be the purpose of have such a powerfull PC for XPEnology?

I understand for example in the case of Freenas which is RAM hungry and ECC is very highly recommended if not mendatory, but in the case of XPEnology, why would we need more cores or a faster CPU? Why would we need more RAM? Would ECC be better or not?

Most people with that hardware go the virtualisation route. So possibly utilise virtualbox or run dsm in esxi/hyper-v

anyone use the ovf.

my spec: esxi 5.5, HP GEN8

i tried few file, but also got error , Invalid configuration for device '6'.

how to fix it or which ovf it can be install it?

thank you

If you can, I suggest to install esxi 6.5 and than follow the "video-tutorial" privided by Maxfli at page 242 [emoji6]

Inviato dal mio LG-D855 utilizzando Tapatalk

Most people with that hardware go the virtualisation route. So possibly utilise virtualbox or run dsm in esxi/hyper-v

Most thinking people will design their system for what they need it to do, not throw the kitchen sink at it and hope that it's enough. One has to keep the operating cost of the NAS in mind as it can cost more to run than it costs to build, over it's lifetime. If one has excess hardware and can afford to run it 24/7 then ESXi or Hyper-V can help one make good use of the system if they have a need. No different than those that build fast cars so that they can get to the next gas station quicker or sit in parking lots so people can see their car, and hear them say, wow! what a car.

How is DSM 6.1 performing?

I'm currently running DSM 6.0 update 8 and would like to switch to 6.1. My usage is really basic and I don't have a lot of experience. Unfortunately I've been off the forum for a few month and I see there's a lot more pages now. I'm sorry in advance if the info I'm looking for is buried somewhere in the 260 pages.

If someone is kind enough to help me through the process or at least guide me in the right direction for the upgrade, I would be very greatful! :smile:

How can I perform the upgrade from 6.0 update 8 to 6.1 on a barebone configuration?

What precautions do I need? (this XPEnology server is already a backup of another server which is almost full)

Is there a tutorial somewhere? (all I see in the OP is to not update to 6.1 with Jun's 1.01, which I'm running now)

Thanks in advance! :wink:

Edited by Guest

Asrock j3710 / only 1 hd.did a fresh install but i cannot create volume. Hd is recognized fine but the button create in the volume section cannot be pressed.I did installation of 5.2, create volume and then migrate to 6. Volume now is ok.Do you have any idea? I am planning to add an hard disk and worried I cannot create volume on it (no raid. Simple volume)

Asrock j3710 / only 1 hd.did a fresh install but i cannot create volume. Hd is recognized fine but the button create in the volume section cannot be pressed.I did installation of 5.2, create volume and then migrate to 6. Volume now is ok.Do you have any idea? I am planning to add an hard disk and worried I cannot create volume on it (no raid. Simple volume)

You have tu create a raid basic with one HD and after you can create a Volume over this raid

Inviato dal mio LG-D855 utilizzando Tapatalk

Hello everybody,

can't wait untill the stable version is out. But as I always say "be patient and the good will come to you". I was just wondering if there will also be support to run this on a Hyper-V server. I just switched to Hyper-V from ESXi so that why I ask.

I the mean time keep up the good work.

Cheers

Burner1977

Here is a video install i made of DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha on ESXI 6.5 Ill be making another one on how to install ds3617xs V1.02a2-alpha soon...

That's would be awesome! Can you do a your next video for a barebone install of 10.2a2 please? :grin:

Thanks a lot!

When you first boot the vm, you select to start the image with esx instead of baremetal in tbe bootmenu...

Does that make any difference? And how do you do that, its so fast here i can even select it...

I'm not sure of the difference between the boot options, but I had to edit the image to increase the timeout to 5 seconds!

FYI: I just finished installing DSM 6.1-15047 Update 2 on my Baremetal Microserver Gen8 with a Xeon E3-1220v2 and 10gb ram (2+8).

I used viewtopic.php?p=74492#p74492

However, I did not download a seperate PAT file, I just used the default setup. I made a small edit to enable root login in SSH and made it possible to create SHR diskgroups. Small note on the enable SHR trick. I had to reboot to enable the creation of SHR diskgroups.

When I was done, I installed the latest update that was available. Now I just have to see if this keeps running stable in the coming week.