XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

I worked it out (sort of).

After trying all your tips, the reader still did not work in any way.

Almost ready to throw it out of the window, I tried to insert an old USB 2 Hub between de HP microserver and smartreader.

Immediately, the reader started working, exactly as before on 5.2.

I tried to remove the hub and immediately it stopped working again. I also tried different BIOS settings regarding USB, bot none worked.

Lsusb only shows the device when connected through the hub.

So the only way to get the smargo working for now is to use the old (Sweex) USB 2.0 Hub. I am okay with that for now, but if possible I would like to connect the reader directly.

look at my smargo info inside chroot:

oscam manualy compiled using smargo in libusb

instaled all dependencies and libusb-dev 1.0 i think.

root@nas:/usr/src/oscam-svn/Distribution# ./list_smargo-1.20-unstable_svn11279-x86_64-linux-gnu-libusb
libudev: udev_has_devtmpfs: name_to_handle_at on /dev: Function not implemented
Looking for smartreader compatible devices...
bus 002, device 005 : 0403:6001 Smartreader2 plus (type=SRv2, in_ep=02, out_ep=81; insert in oscam.server 'device = SRv2;Serial:CCCCCCCC')

dmesg after unplug it and plug it again:

[36342.567036] usb 2-1.4: USB disconnect, device number 4
[36344.801652] usb 2-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci

again, if you guys are using oscam, dont use FTDI drivers, reconfigure your driver to use smartreader protocol, its alot beter

[reader]

protocol                      = smartreader
device                        = SRv2;Serial:CCCCCCCC
detect                        = cd

work 100%

This version of loader (and synology's version) does not have driver for ohci usb controller, a host controller for usb 1.x.

Why it is not included in the loader?

Because I did not notice it was not included.

Why not for synology?

My understanding is that, Intel invent UHCI for usb 1.x, so normally, intel chipsets will never have OHCI controllers,

nowdays even UHCI's are uncommon, lots of usb 2.x/3.x controller seems include builtin hubs to do the translation for usb 1.x devices.

In your use case, the external hub simply acts as a usb 1.x to usb 2.x translator, that is a viable workaround for the moment.

I will make sure this driver is availble when next release is out, developers can also compile ohci-hcd yourself.

@Jun: Did you try to install DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 3? It contains new kernel image in flashupdate_6.0-8451-s3_all.deb. I guess because of fix Dirty Cow CVE-2016-5195 vulnerability.

Anyway here is change log: https://www.synology.com/cs-cz/releaseNote/DS3615xs

Edit: I successfully updated to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 3.

The new kernel will not in effect, unless manually copy it to the right place.

Since Intel machines are in fact using unmodified synology kernel, I am considering restructure the boot partition's to closely match synology's, so that new kernel will take effect automatically, but this has the potential risk of a small upgrade may break a working system.

Hi @Jun & @Arcao & Community.

Thanks again for your work. All functions on my servers (in signature) normally work, more than a month.

Prompt me please, I can normally upgrade to Update3, if now I use a Hybrid UEFI/BIOS baremetal image setsunakawa (on 10 page), but with replaced the image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma in the boot partition from the image in your, Jun, first post (on page 1).

Now my grub.cfg files are as follows:

first server (Intel D2700MUD):

set default='0'
set timeout='2'
set fallback='0'

menuentry 'Synology DS3615xs' --class os {
  insmod   fat
  linux   /image/DS3615xs/zImage root=/dev/md0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 netif_num=1 HddHotplug=0 SataPortMap=2 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vid=0x**** pid=0x**** console=uart,io,0x3f8,115200n8 sn=********** mac1=********** withefi elevator=your_magic_elevator quiet
  initrd   /image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma
}

second server (Asus P8z68vlx):

set default='0'
set timeout='2'
set fallback='0'

menuentry 'Synology DS3615xs' --class os {
  insmod   fat
  linux   /image/DS3615xs/zImage root=/dev/md0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 netif_num=1 HddHotplug=0 SataPortMap=5 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vid=0x**** pid=0x**** console=uart,io,0x3f8,115200n8 sn=********** mac1=********** withefi elevator=your_magic_elevator quiet
  initrd   /image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma
}

Thankyou.

Is there a better way of hiding the boot drive on ESXI or should I still add rmmod=ata_piix to the list of parameters?

Edit: Doesn't seem to work. I've tried both ata_piix and rmmod=ata_piix as extra arguments

Did you ever manage to hide the boot drive?

Yes, I just converted the image to IDE and appended rrmod. Can't remember the details though, but I will check that once I get the time.

I'm also very interested. Maybe it could be quicker if you can share your modified image.

i have a question to you, following the tutorial to install DSM 6 or migrate...could I install .pat file for DS416 for example instead of DS3615 like in the installation tutorial??this is because my hp microserver has 4 slot for HDDS and not 12 like DS3615, I would like to install .pat file from DS416 to show 4 slot disc instead of 12!!would it works?

i have a question to you, following the tutorial to install DSM 6 or migrate...could I install .pat file for DS416 for example instead of DS3615 like in the installation tutorial??this is because my hp microserver has 4 slot for HDDS and not 12 like DS3615, I would like to install .pat file from DS416 to show 4 slot disc instead of 12!!would it works?

No, it wouldn't. Just edit synoinfo.conf in etc.defaults and you can set any number of discs there :wink:

Prompt me please, I can normally upgrade to Update3, if now I use a Hybrid UEFI/BIOS baremetal image setsunakawa (on 10 page), but with replaced the image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma in the boot partition from the image in your, Jun, first post (on page 1).

If your bootloader works OK, it's not needed to touch on it. Just update to DSM 6.0.2 8451 Update3 only.

Edited by Guest

No, it wouldn't. Just edit synoinfo.conf in etc.defaults and you can set any number of discs there :wink:

why?is the same operating system with same kernel no?or is the bootloader able to install DSM only with DS3615 firmware?...and if I edit synoinfo..Can it shows 4 disc on storage management?

tested and everything is working as expected, upgraded my gen8 baremetal from 5.2 to 6.0.2-u3 with all data and config intact, no problem whatsoever, the only thing is that after the upgrade dsm changed my local ip to dhcp instead of let it static but it's not an issue, reverted back to static in 10 seconds.

al packages working fine, update3 applied and rebooted with no issue, changed my filesystem to btrfs so i'm pretty happy :smile:

edit: one last thing, how can i change max drive shown in the disk manager? it shows 12 slot, i wanted to limit it to 5.

edit2: nevermind, synoinfo.conf had maxdrives set to 12, fixed :smile:

Edited by Guest

@pigr8 You changed your filesystem to btrfs without loosing data? If so, how you managed to do it?

tested and everything is working as expected, upgraded my gen8 baremetal from 5.2 to 6.0.2-u3 with all data and config intact, no problem whatsoever, the only thing is that after the upgrade dsm changed my local ip to dhcp instead of let it static but it's not an issue, reverted back to static in 10 seconds.

al packages working fine, update3 applied and rebooted with no issue, changed my filesystem to btrfs so i'm pretty happy :smile:

edit: one last thing, how can i change max drive shown in the disk manager? it shows 12 slot, i wanted to limit it to 5.

Hi everyone,

i already asked this in the "old" XPEnoboot thread but nobody answered. Is it possible to use a usb bluetooth stick that is not listed in the official compatibility list?

I attached a Belkin usb bt stick and it seems to be recognized by the system:

[  566.689037] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
   [  566.871019] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
   [  567.047955] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.16
   [  567.047992] NET: Registered protocol family 31
   [  567.047994] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
   [  567.048023] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
   [  567.048026] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
   [  567.048035] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
   [  567.054833] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
   [  567.054864] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
   [  567.054866] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
   [  567.057591] Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.2
   [  567.057617] Bluetooth: HIDP socket layer initialized
   [  567.064134] usbcore: registered new interface driver btusb

lsusb | grep Blue
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 050d:0013  Broadcom Corp Belkin Bluetooth Device

But the stick doesn't show up in control panel. hcitool says that the device is down and when i want to start it it shows:

can't init device hci0 operation not supported (95) synology

Is there any chance to get the stick up and working?

Need some help please.

I have an HP Gen8.

I tried upgrade from 5.2.5967 to 6.0.2 and failed

1. I extrated only synoboot.img from v1.01 zip and I wrote it on usb

2. I moified VID&PID (MAC also, to receive the same ip from router)

3. after restart I opened it from Assistant nad I chosed migration fron Assistant web interface (I used 6.0.2/8451 pat for ds3615xs from Synology website

But the upgrade stopped with some king of "corrupt file" or something like that.

Since then, I can't even connect with putty (SSH) to it (to try a downgrade back to 5.2).

There is a way to solve this without losing settings&Co please?

I saw something about boot menu options bareborn install/reinstall here. I have too select a boot option from iLO Console or something?

I'm kind of desperate

Thanks'

where is synoinfo.conf?? I cant find it!!please someone could tell me it