XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

DSM seems by default create system raid arrary with big endian metadata, and normally x86 devices use little endian metadata on these arrays

so /dev/md0 can not be auto detected by normal linux distributions, unless you could find a big endian linux box :smile:

But linux hackers are kind enough to provide some obscure command line options to make peoples life easier.

you can use follow command to exam foreign endian arrary members

mdadm -Ee0.swap /dev/sda1

and use follow command to assemble an arrary and fix byte order in one go

mdadm -AU byteorder /dev/md0  /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 ...

DSM will convert it back to its preferred endian on next boot, so no further action requried.

Make sure the VM is shut down and its not 'locked'.

Either close the VM in Workstation (or delete the .lck folder within the VM's folder) then, when you've finished mapping the VMDK file for editing, open it up again..

We're speaking here about the edition of VMDK file (provided in #1 topic) previously to any install, in order to follow QuickConnect registration process during installation ...

Thanks.

Make sure the VM is shut down and its not 'locked'.

Either close the VM in Workstation (or delete the .lck folder within the VM's folder) then, when you've finished mapping the VMDK file for editing, open it up again..

We're speaking here about the edition of VMDK file (provided in #1 topic) previously to any install, in order to follow QuickConnect registration process during installation ...

Thanks.

Ahh ok.. I've just started testing on ESXi with this image, so too early to say definitively..

I assume downloading the VMDK to another machine and trying to mount and edit it there has been tried?

#H

DSM seems by default create system raid arrary with big endian metadata, and normally x86 devices use little endian metadata on these arrays

so /dev/md0 can not be auto detected by normal linux distributions, unless you could find a big endian linux box :smile:

But linux hackers are kind enough to provide some obscure command line options to make peoples life easier.

you can use follow command to exam foreign endian arrary members

mdadm -Ee0.swap /dev/sda1

and use follow command to assemble an arrary and fix byte order in one go

mdadm -AU byteorder /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 ...

DSM will convert it back to its preferred endian on next boot, so no further action requried.

Thanks Jun. That did the trick. I was able to access the system partion (/sda1 and sdb1). I then edited the synoinfo.conf file and brought the bond's mtu down to 8000. Just wanted to see how high mtu would go without crashing again the system and it seems 8000 is the max. So far it has been working ok with that value.

Thanks also to CtrlAltDel for pointing to the right file to edit. It was under the /etc directory. Since my nics were bonded I had to edit the following line:

bond0_mtu="9000"

Edited by Guest

I have issues trying to create a new hyperbackup to webdav or creating a lets encrypt certificate, when I try doing these on the gen 8 I get the following error: The operation failed. Please login to DSM again and retry.

restarted dsm already but no differnce

I just set-up a lets encrypt cert. and it worked for me. I got the same error as you but I didn't reboot! I simply hit apply again right after the initial fail. I think the issue maybe because lets encrypt needs to initialise or configure stuff behind the scenes, and the first run gets a failed response. It takes a moment before the certificate is generated once you apply it a second time (don't navigate away or change anything after the error message).

Let's encrypt works flawlessly for me.

ESXI 6.0 with latest Synology installed (update 2).

Can confirm although it wasn't flawless for me due to the error message mentioned above.

Can't get Wake on lan working on my microserver Gen8.

Worked once with the original MAC but now it doesn't boot on that anymore. Tried this http://xpenology.me/how-to-activate-wol/ with the new rc.d location but also no luck (tried with generated mac).

Anyone a detailed discription what you did? For the ones that got it working.

I did exactly what you have done. Uploaded the shutdown fix file to the new location of rc.d and set it executable, then I shut the server down from the DSM. I used Syno Assistant to wake it up...Syno Assistant uses the generated MAC.

Strangely my desktop WOL tool doesn't wake the machine using the real MAC nor the generated one. The tool always worked fine with past DSM versions.

Edit:

Just a thought...did you set-up WOL in the Bios?

As an aside:

I tested the New Spreadsheet app and imported the Serial/Mac generator file. The Syno Spreadsheet app doesn't work as expected - it fails to run the formulas. :???:

Hi,

I am trying to install DSM 6 on a baremetal. I have used the hybridbiosueri2.img from user setsunakawa. When I boot I do get the "Booting to kernel..." message but I can't find it on find.synology.com nor on the Synology Assistant. Also I do not see a new IP address pop up on my router table.

My nic is ASUSTek / NVidia MCP77 Ethernet.

I have edited the grub.cfg file with the correct vid & pid for the USB and changed the sn and mac with the excel sheet.

Edit:

Yes its enabled. Worked before in 5.2.

I ran a few tests and it works for me every time. Someone reported that WOL worked for them without the shutdown file being added...this didn't work for me. I just removed it in my tests and WOL fails to work when the file isn't present.

I have know idea why it's not working for you? For some reason your system isn't entering the correct sleep state and or there is an issue with your MAC address? I guess there could be something on your network that prevents the udp/magic packet broadcast? I run Eset's Endpoint and Smart Security on all my Windows machines and I have rules set to allow the WOL to be sent.

I still can't get a desktop WOL app to wake the server up which is annoying and odd?

Hi,

I am trying to install DSM 6 on a baremetal. I have used the hybridbiosueri2.img from user setsunakawa. When I boot I do get the "Booting to kernel..." message but I can't find it on find.synology.com nor on the Synology Assistant. Also I do not see a new IP address pop up on my router table.

I have edited the grub.cfg file with the correct vid & pid for the USB and changed the sn and mac with the excel sheet.

Is your system using an Intel chip? If it is then it's likely that the Nic isn't currently supported. If it's an AMD based system it simply wont work until one of the dev guys build a new img with the drivers to support AMD's.

To cover your bases you could try Setsunakawa's img from page 10 and manually add the romdisk file from Jun's Bare Metal UEFI img in the OP.

Edit:

I ran a few tests and it works for me every time. Someone reported that WOL worked for them without the shutdown file being added...this didn't work for me. I just removed it in my tests and WOL fails to work when the file isn't present.

I have know idea why it's not working for you? For some reason your system isn't entering the correct sleep state and or there is an issue with your MAC address? I guess there could be something on your network that prevents the udp/magic packet broadcast? I run Eset's Endpoint and Smart Security on all my Windows machines and I have rules set to allow the WOL to be sent.

I still can't get a desktop WOL app to wake the server up which is annoying and odd?

Hi,

Is your system using an Intel chip? If it is then it's likely that the Nic isn't currently supported. If it's an AMD based system it simply wont work until one of the dev guys build a new img with the drivers to support AMD's.

To cover your bases you could try Setsunakawa's img from page 10 and manually add the romdisk file from Jun's Bare Metal UEFI img in the OP.

Ah yes. I have AMD chip (Phenom x4). So I just need to wait for AMD drivers?

I haven't tried sweebee's img but other people have reported successful installs using it.

You could try using Setsunakawa's img here > http://www.xpenology.com/forum/viewtopi ... =90#p73344 but you will need to update the romdisk with the one Jun patched in the OP. You need his Bare metal uefi img. Use it to create a USB boot disk and copy the romdisk to your local drive. Now use Setsunakawa's img to create a new USB boot and copy Jun's romdisk file to the new USB. Edit the grub with your vid, pid, serial # and mac. That's what worked for me.

P.S. you could try this first it's a later version of Setsunakawa's img which has Jun's patched romdisk included plus some other nic drivers. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=360#p74364 it might work OK and save you a few steps.

Try the PS solution, the hybridbiosueri2.img in gen8 bare metal, but after 10 minuts no ip is set... i have network leds, but no ip is given... so no network :sad:

Edit:

First tried with a generated mac address and the fix for wol. Didn't work.

Then I have changed the mac address in the grub.cfg to my hardware mac address. Booted up. Shut it down in DSM. And tried to wake it up from CMS and with synonet --wake XX:XX:XX eth0 both not working.

Also everytime it boots up, it tells me that it didn't shut down properly.

I haven't tried sweebee's img but other people have reported successful installs using it.

You could try using Setsunakawa's img here > http://www.xpenology.com/forum/viewtopi ... =90#p73344 but you will need to update the romdisk with the one Jun patched in the OP. You need his Bare metal uefi img. Use it to create a USB boot disk and copy the romdisk to your local drive. Now use Setsunakawa's img to create a new USB boot and copy Jun's romdisk file to the new USB. Edit the grub with your vid, pid, serial # and mac. That's what worked for me.

P.S. you could try this first it's a later version of Setsunakawa's img which has Jun's patched romdisk included plus some other nic drivers. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=360#p74364 it might work OK and save you a few steps.

Try the PS solution, the hybridbiosueri2.img in gen8 bare metal, but after 10 minuts no ip is set... i have network leds, but no ip is given... so no network :sad:

I don't know if that img works so try the part in blue above. You need an Intel based machine as AMD's aren't currently supported. If your system is an Intel then there is a chance your NIC isn't supported if your getting no dhcp address.

@sweebee

You need to read the OP which covers the improper shutdown and how to work round it. If you have a Gen8 or a system with console emulation set-up the serial console in bios. Otherwise you need to edit the files that try to output to the console.

Edited by Guest

@sweebee

You need to read the OP which covers the improper shutdown and how to work round it. If you have a Gen8 or a system with console emulation set-up the serial console in bios. Otherwise you need to edit the files that try to output to the console.

I'm not sure if that img works try the part in blue above that worked for me. Other than that your NIC may not be supported? You need an Intel based system or you will need to wait for an img that supports AMD's.

My gen8 is intel G1610T...

I'm too.

Only nic 1 connect, and ilo, but that i think don't count.

The firts img i use boots well, only can't migrate/install pat file. This i burn the pen (like the other) and after 10 minutes still no ip given

I have iLo connected as well.

Have you added Jun's romdisk file and added the vid, pid, ser and mac to the grub config? And have you setup the console in bios?

If you have done all of that it should work. Did you checksum your pat file?

I'm too.

The firts img i use boots well, only can't migrate/install pat file. This i burn the pen (like the other) and after 10 minutes still no ip given

Have you added Jun's romdisk file and added the vid, pid, ser and mac to the grub config? And have you setup the console in bios?

Now i'm get very confused...

With setsunakawa (hybridbiosuefi2.img) what is needed? I assume with this image is burn and run in gen8 bare metal, i'm wrong?

With sweebee's image (gen8boot.img) i burn and run (the only problem i have with this is that i can't install the pat file), md5 checked but get error 13 at 40-53%

Please guide me here, with any of this images is need change anything? vid, pids etc?

Edited by Guest

I'm too.

With setsunakawa (hybridbiosuefi2.img) what is needed? I assume with this image is burn and run in gen8 bare metal, i'm wrong?

With sweebee's image (gen8boot.img) i burn and run (the only problem i have with this is that i can't install the pat file)

Please guide me here, with any of this images is need change anything? vid, pids etc?

You MUST set the PID and VID otherwise you can't install the pat file. Open the boot usb on your pc and open /grub/grub.cfg remove the 0xXXX (something like that) and replace it with the values of the usb stick.

Seems to work now :grin: had checked COM2, set it to COM1 and it worked.

Cool! :smile:

With hybridbiosueri2.img what is needed? I assume with this image is burn and run in gen8 bare metal, i'm wrong?

With sweebee's image i burn and run (the only problem i have with this is that i can't install the pat file)

The hybridbiosueri2.img is a new build by Setsunakawa it has some extra NIC drivers and the patched romdisk by Jun. I don't know if it works because I haven't tried it.

The image on page 10 is Setsunakawa's none UEFI baremetal image. It has less NIC support and it has an older version of Jun's patched romdisk file. To use it you need to extract the romdisk from Jun's Bear Metal UEFI img in the OP and overwrite the romdisk file in Setsunakawa's img.

Sweebee's img has Jun's patched romdisk ready to roll and people have reported that it has worked for them. I haven't personally tried it so I can't speak from experience.

All these img files only work with Intel based machines which have a supported NIC.

All these img's need the grub config file modified to include the vid and pid of the USB you're using as well as the serial # and MAC.

There are issues caused by the absence of a serial console work rounds are explained by Jun in his OP.

For instructions see the OP, page 33 and 43 of this thread.

None of these images will work with AMD based systems! We need a new image which supports AMD before that will work.

That's the best summary I can give for the current images available so far for Intel Baremetal installations on machines without UEFI support.

Example of the edited line from the grub.cfg

linux   /image/DS3615xs/zImage root=/dev/md0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 netif_num=1 HddHotplug=0 SataPortMap=x syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vender_format_version=2 vid=xxxxx pid=xxxxxx console=ttyS0,115200n8 sn=xxxxxxxxxxxx mac1=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mac2=xxxxxxxxxxxxx withefi elevator=your_magic_elevator quiet

SataPortMap=x where x equals the number of drives connected to the first controller.

Edited by Guest