XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Thx man, but what if i got 2 nic ?, if i understand i have to put last part of my mac address and leave the fist part like

00-11-32-XX-XX-XX where XX-XX-XX is the last part of my real mac address ?

And like i said i have dual nic (one intel pci-e nic with dual port).

Try this guide > http://xpenology.me/how-to-generate-syn ... alid-pair/

Hi guys,

I am trying to install it on barematel,

apperantly i am missing somthing,

i downloaded the synoboot.zip in the first post and used win32Image to put in on a usbdrive.

how ever i am not able to boot from it at all.

what might i been missing?

thnx

Hi guys,

i downloaded the synoboot.zip in the first post and used win32Image to put in on a usbdrive.

thnx

Does your board support UEFI? If not the you need the legacy/Hybrid baremetal img > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=90#p73344 and you will need to copy the romdrive from the loader in the first post bare metal UEFI img and replace the romdrive included with the Hybrid img using it.

Add your pid, vid, serial and mac to the grub config and boot the machine and look for it in Synology assistant or your routers connected device list.

All being well you can connect to the unit and see the installation screen. http://YourDeviceIP:5000

Edited by Guest

Hi guys,

thnx

I had to make some bios changes to get it to boot.

However I can't install the PAT file. I'm using the latest one from synology. I'm using Asrock N3700. DSM 5.2-5967 Update 2 Right now.

Has anyone gotten a rackstation vm image with Jun's loader working with this?

I ask, as the 3615xs does not have the SHR/SHR2 config anymore.

Synology has pretty much phased out SHR on most of their high end models:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... d_RAID_SHR

Some models are allowed to use SHR, if it was created in an earlier version of DSM, which is likely how Xpenology uses it w/ DS3615 (it's there, but not enabled in UI - but the xpenology guys enabled it).

Edited by Guest

Hi guys,

thnx

Does your board support UEFI? If not the you need the legacy/Hybrid baremetal img > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=90#p73344 and you will need to copy the romdrive from the loader in the first post bare metal UEFI img and replace the romdrive included with the Hybrid img using it.

Add your pid, vid, serial and mac to the grub config and boot the machine and look for it in Synology assistant or your routers connected device list.

All being well you can connect to the unit and see the installation screen. http://YourDeviceIP:5000

I can see the UEFI Disk on key in the boot menu in the BIOS but it wont run from it

it claims it isnt bootable.

I'm using D2550. DSM 5.2-5967 Update 2 Right now.

Just an update on my migrated shr tests: expanding to an additional drive works! I'm going to assume that swapping an existing drive to a larger one should be fine as well. If shr is something you want, I would create your volumes using 5.2, then migrate them to this 6.0. Once you are in 6.0 you can't create new shr volumes only standard raid, so get everything how you want it first. This method does limit you to ext4. Next thing I'm going to try is to use my ds1513+ to create a shr btrfs volume and see if I can migrate that into this build and expand it all the way through. Wish me luck, too bad these tests take days to do!

Hi Guys,

Trying to do this on a N54L, and I can't seem to get past "Booting Kernel" message. Changed PID, SataPortMap=2 etc. And using the hybrid UEFI image of Junuefi. Any hints in the right direction? Do I need to change something in the BIOS?

TX!

New problem. After successfully installing it on my main microserver gen8, in wanted to install it on my second one. But when installing with pat file, i get an error 13. "Could not install the file, file is damaged".

Any1 seen this before?

Also my generated serial/mac on my main system doesn't work for quick connect and push services anymore. Surveillance station and file station apps work fine.

Oh stupid mee, forgot the PID/VID.

Edited by Guest

After installed DSM 6.0 with new loader, I cannot create a new volume. It said I have to create new RAID Group first. What?

I remember with old versions that have Disk Group, I could create as many as volumes I want without involving Disk Group. And now with a new item (RAID group), I'm stuck.

Please help. Thanks.

@nemesis122, @interested and all others who don't read.

If you read all 33 pages and still are not sure maybe you should take a step back for the sake of your own data.

I will nonetheless try to summarise it again as it has been done countless times in the thread already. This is also meant to those who keep asking the same questions over and over and who do not care to read. Hopefully this will clear up some uncertainties and confusion regarding loader for baremetal.

1 - UEFI scenario: If you have an UEFI board the loader is provided in the OP. Once you have burned the loader's image on a USB key all you need to do is edit the vid, pid, mac, serial, and add SataPortMap=[number of drives in your machine] in the grub.cfg file. I used Win32 Disk Imager to burn the bootable image into a USB key. I am sure that other software to create bootable usb key will work fine too. To edit the grub.cfg file you will either need to have a live CD (ubuntu or whatever linux flavour makes your day) or a MAC computer in order to access the content of the usb. I have a Mac so that's why I used.

2 - BIOS scenario: If you have a BIOS board then you need to use the hybrid loader that is provided on page 10 by setsunakawa. You then need to replace the ramdisk.lzma file with the one that is within the UEFI loader provided in the OP. The grub.cfg file also needs to be edited as mentioned above.

If you read the OP till the end Jun recently mentioned that within the grub.cfg file you also need to replace the following: console=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 with console=ttyS0,115200n8.

note 1: FYI once the image is burnt on the USB key there will be 2 partitions. One is empty and the other one contains the loader. This is normal and expected.

note 2: Regarding VID and PID there are plenty of tutorials and software on the net on how to obtain those from your usb key be it on a Windows machine, linux or Mac. Here is one example

Below is a grub.cfg example.

serial --port=0x3F8 --speed=115200
terminal_input serial console
terminal_output serial console
set default='0'
set timeout='2'
set fallback='0'

menuentry 'Synology DS3615xs' --class os {
insmod	fat
linux	/image/DS3615xs/zImage root=/dev/md0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 netif_num=1 HddHotplug=0 SataPortMap=x syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vender_format_version=2 vid=xxxxx pid=xxxxxx console=ttyS0,115200n8 sn=xxxxxxxxxxxx mac1=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mac2=xxxxxxxxxxxxx withefi elevator=your_magic_elevator quiet
initrd	/image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma
}

^edit SataPortMap, vid, pid, sn, mac above to match your Xpenology.

Once your usb is ready plug it on your Xpenology machine, boot it and then go on another computer that is connected on the same local network than your Xpenology and type find.synology.com in your web browser or simply open your Synology Assistant. Then follow the instructions. Install or migrate as suited. If your Xpenology is not found on your network it is possible that your network card drivers where not included in the loader because Jun only included a limited amount of drivers.

This loader is new and as mentioned by Jun himself it needs to be considered unstable. I have been using it already for several days but that is not a warranty that it could crash my system anytime so beware of the risks involved.