XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

I'm getting errors on bare metal (using your disk image) though it's fine in Vmware.

Error is 'We've detected errors on your hard drives (1,2) and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down or repace or remove the hard disks to continue."

Any thoughts?

I do have a previous install on them (7393), so maybe it needs them cleaned up first?

Cheers

#H

I imported the ESXi build, added a new disk, and started it. It asked me to install DSM, restarted itself, and now I'm stuck on "We've deteched that the hard drives of your current DS3615xs had been moved from a previous DS3615xs, and installing a newer DSM is required before continuing."

The only options it gives me is Migration and Clean installation; tried both but still the same issue. Any solutions?

Here is a working version for ESXi 6 (or 5.5) :

https://mega.nz/#!7Y0zCQ6A!KyMADeLGTsnC ... Ds8rpGEvEY

It's an OVF template with HW v10. Everything seems to work. RDM disk on LSI Virtual SAS SCSI controller are detected properly with power management, BTRFS and TV Tuner work.

Jun, your version is HW v11 and for some reasons it ask for a reinstall in a loop so it does not work.

Kind regards

It's an OVF template with HW v10. Everything seems to work. RDM disk on LSI Virtual SAS SCSI controller are detected properly with power management, BTRFS and TV Tuner work.

Jun, your version is HW v11 and for some reasons it ask for a reinstall in a loop so it does not work.

Kind regards

This worked perfectly on ESXi 6.0, solved my issue.

FYI

I used the original ESXi OVF template (HW11) installed on EXSI 6, with vcenter appliance 6.

To the template, I added a pass-through LSI 9211 SAS (Perc 310 reflashed to LSI IT mode) card which has all my hard drives connected to it. Synology could not detect any hard drives connected and would not continue the install. aka "No hard disk found"

Not sure if the LSI driver was supposed to have been included in your revision or not, however, it is a common problem in other DSM 6 installs, LSI 9211 does not seem to want to load.

FYI

I used the original ESXi OVF template (HW11) installed on EXSI 6, with vcenter appliance 6.

To the template, I added a pass-through LSI 9211 SAS (Perc 310 reflashed to LSI IT mode) card which has all my hard drives connected to it. Synology could not detect any hard drives connected and would not continue the install. aka "No hard disk found"

Not sure if the LSI driver was supposed to have been included in your revision or not, however, it is a common problem in other DSM 6 installs, LSI 9211 does not seem to want to load.

Give me a about 30 minutes to verify this on my Cisco UCS w/ LIS 9211 8i and 9265 8i. If there is an issue I will fix it and provide driver.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

FYI

Give me a about 30 minutes to verify this on my Cisco UCS w/ LIS 9211 8i and 9265 8i. If there is an issue I will fix it and provide driver.

I just tried this out with my ESXi 6 / LSI 9211 8i and it does not detect any drives as well. I believe the driver necessary is mpt2sas or mptsas2. It would be amazing if you could get this to work. I have been trying for 2 weeks now.

I imported the ESXi build, added a new disk, and started it. It asked me to install DSM, restarted itself, and now I'm stuck on "We've deteched that the hard drives of your current DS3615xs had been moved from a previous DS3615xs, and installing a newer DSM is required before continuing."

The only options it gives me is Migration and Clean installation; tried both but still the same issue. Any solutions?

Go to etc.defaults find the version folder and edit it. There is a thread about rolling back from dsm 6 that I followed

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Downgrade from DSM 6.0

Kind regards

This worked perfectly on ESXi 6.0, solved my issue.

It is good for my esxi, the first ovf could make a usable vm,

but It cannot make the second, it always say no system on the dos booting screen,

... ohmmmm ....

I need to change the MAC and/or s/n, before i start the vm?

[edit] temp. fixed by re-unzip the ovf file and change the lan.

But what is the easier way to change mac and s/n ? which linux live cd is good ? how to mount the img?

@jun

Damn serial port! Just before trying DSM6 on bare-metal I disabled both serial ports in BIOS. :smile: Today when I get home from work, I will re-enable serial ports and try again.

Btw you used last beta source code from syno and latest toolchains to recompile additional drivers ? I would like to prepare ramdisk and kernel based on DS916+, so is there anything special I need to know ? You can PM me details if you want.

Carlchan, I would advice you an Ubuntu Desktop live cd. Mount the EFI partition with the disk manager and simply edit the GRUb configuration file.

Don't forget to put the disk as persistent before doing that, else the modifications will be lost (I put it as non persistent in the template).

Hi Koalala,

Thanks for your hard work.

I deployed the OVF you uploaded in esxi 6 u2, but I see nothing on the console.

is this normal?

How do I change the mac addresses and the serial numbers with the OVF?

thanks

You have to use serial to see console because this is Synology's unmodified kernel. In ESXi add serial named pipe. Set as server near side and vm far side. Setup another vm. Windows or Linux and add serial near side client, far side vm. Use putty, minicom, hyperterminal and you will have profit. Both vm's must exist on same host.

To edit boot. Use Ubuntu live CD or equivilant Linux boot CD to modify.

I'm getting errors on bare metal (using your disk image) though it's fine in Vmware.

Error is 'We've detected errors on your hard drives (1,2) and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down or repace or remove the hard disks to continue."

Any thoughts?

I do have a previous install on them (7393), so maybe it needs them cleaned up first?

Cheers

#H

Same here, I also have "We've detected errors on your hard drives (2) and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down or repace or remove the hard disks to continue."

It's a bare metal UEFI/E3815 board with wiped disks (smart ok). Any idea ?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

#H

Same here, I also have "We've detected errors on your hard drives (2) and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shut down or repace or remove the hard disks to continue."

It's a bare metal UEFI/E3815 board with wiped disks (smart ok). Any idea ?

I have the same even if i remove the hdd it shows me the same error

*EDIT*

I got it working after a restart I could use the synology assistent to Migrate/Install with the 6.0.2-8451 but now quickconnect is not working it is working on a vm

Edited by Guest

Many people reported that DSM ask you to reinstall forever.

It turn out that lack of a serial port caused the failure. That is really a surprise :eek: .

Anyway, I upload a new ramdisk to workaround the issue.

[spoiler=]You should replace the image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma in the boot partiton with this new one.

The esxi and bare metal image are updated, so manually replace the ramdisk is not required.

Alternatively, VM users may add a serial port as a workaround.

Bare metal users can enable the serial port in bios if your board has one.

remaining problem:

Login to your DSM via ssh/telnet, your will see these messages in kernel log,

this is another consequence of lack of a serial console.

[ 1360.575754] init: tty main process (13856) terminated with status 1
[ 1360.575823] init: tty main process ended, respawning
[ 1370.591635] init: tty main process (13881) terminated with status 1
[ 1370.591755] init: tty main process ended, respawning

To stop it from spam your log, you can stop/disable the tty serivce.

Jun,

I looked at the code changes from your second ramdisk against your first release and got to say good changes and I approve! Your code vs XPEnology's is much cleaner and less changes to Synologies chroot.

So far your module seems to be flawless for virtual guys. Here's what I've tested so far:

• Test basic VM deployments with OVF and install monitoring logs. (your changes fix some of the delay)
  • upgrade from 5.1-5055 to 5.2-5565 to 5.2.5644 to 5.2.5697 then to 6.0.2-8451
  • separate XPEnology running 5.2-5644.8 to 6.0.2-8451
  • ESXi RDM's work perfectly
  • ESXi PCI Passthrough LSI 9211-8i and LSI 9265

I plan to test from KVM as well. I will provide the mpt3sas for later LSI cards.

We still need to look at the non-virtualized hardware that people are having issues with. Don't have cycles at the moment to test this right now, but do have a spare SuperMicro Twin server that I may test for this.

One last thing, did you see my pm on this site or the pm on Tapatalk? Can you send me the source code for the module?

So it's not just me then!

Thanks for looking into it. :smile:

Must UEFI boot be used for this? Would it be possible to go back to Legacy boot?

#H

Must use EFI with this release. Legacy can be done.

If I have spare time I will get around to making one. Not high on my list of todos.