XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

L2TP/IPsec

I am not able to start L2TP/IPsec VPN server even if it looks like it's configured correctly (this doesn't work on 5.2 too). I will have to look for some logs or start service in debug mode.

L2TP/IPsec worked just fine for me on DSM 5.2 and now on DSM 6.0. I do remember however that I had to change the username to upper-case before it worked. Here is the post on synology's forum. https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 73&t=97985

You're shitting me right!? Seriously the fix for L2TP/IPsec is to use uppercase for the user name! I pulled my hair out for days and abused BT support trying to get L2TP working, and in the end I had to concede defeat. It was a bitter moment as some people had it working and others like myself failed dismally. :oops: I never found that post on the synology forum and I did lots of searching.

Thanks for that great insight! I don't have time to test it out right now but it's back as a priority on my todo list. :smile:

Yes that fixed it for me. I was unable to use L2tp/IPsec until I changed the username to upper-case. You can then change it back to lower-case and it should still work.

Regarding the unclean shutdown for ESXi users.

To get rid of the unclean shutdown warning just add a serial port to the vm with following settings:

- use named pipe

- Pipe name: \\.\pipe\com_1

- Near end: server

- Far end: a virtual machine

As a result the unclean shutdown warning will not appear in the logs anymore.

As others mentioned in this thread, this is much easier:

"(...) changed the console output on the following service only ... /usr/share/init/syno_poweroff_task.conf:console output ... from "console output" to "console none". After reboot the error of "improper shutdown" is gone."

Unless you were talking about something else.

I don't agree that it's easier.. Both solutions are easy to apply.

Though, modifiying the VM is cleaner, since you don't modify the DSM installation.

If Jun would apply it to the ovf from the first post (and reuploads it of course), all future ESXi installations would benefit from the fix ootb.

Hi everyone.

First of all i would like to thank everyone for the great project. I'm just another happy Synology user (bare-metal - DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2). I have updatet from 5.2-5967.1 version without any problems. I just got Hybrid UEFI\Bios image from page 10, replaced the boot image from Jun on page 1, edited grub.cfg with my VID, PID, SN and mac. Then i enabled serial port in bios and everything worked like a charm.

My hardware is:

- older s775 motherboard Asus P5Q-VM DO (ICH10R)

- 4GB RAM

- ntel® Xeon® Processor X3330 dowclocked to 2,2 GHZ

- 4 drives with SHR

What's working (what i had time to test):

- HDD's was discovered without any modifications to grub.cfg

- CPU Throttle works without adding any secondary scripts

- WOL works

- btrfs - didn't see any problems by the time i'm using it (over 2 weeks)

- SHR creation - after changes in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf (no problems - created and tested 2 disk groups)

- resiliosync, downloadstation, hyperbackup, snapshot replication, shared folders encryption, CPU and HDD temps shown correctly in info center

- APC UPS 500

- lan cards in bond

What's not working:

- don't know, everything i needed works

I didn't have time to test SSD cache, but i'll check it in the near feature (it was working on 5.2 version so i don't see any reason for it not to work on 6.0 version).

Device is super fast and stable, Cpu usage never goes above 30% and ram stays on ~20%. I have transfers over 80Mb/s .

One more time thank you for this great project.

Hi,

did somebody successfully setup a e-sata external hard disks set (via FIS/port multiplier) ?

I installed a Marvell 88SE9235, with an external x2 disks hosting box esata, and then under ESXi nothing is detected, but thanks to VT-d support I successfully configured an Ubuntu VM using the Marvell card directly, and both external disks are well managed/see, and I'm able to work on via passthrough and the 2 hard drives.

Btw, hardware is well detected/configured under Ubuntu, everything is fully compatible of ESXi/VM use ...

Now, I tried without success to reconfigure this external x2 disks to use as additional disks to the emulated 3615xs Synology (in addition to the 4 mains disks already configured ...).

But, via passthrough to the Marvell card the 3615xs only see the 1st disk ... classicly it's a problem of driver ...

Has somebody an idea how to setup/configure ? I already put a SataPortMap=42 (4 mains disks + 2 externals)

Thanks !

Hi guys,

ASMedia ASM1061 SATA Constroller

By dmesg this sata controller is detected correctly, but I can't confirm full functionality - I don't have attached any hdd on it. Anyway I guess in worst case it would need to a little bit modify grub.cfg and add SataPortMap=22 (two drivers on primary and two drivers on secondary SATA controller).

Hi, yes it work... I setup my Gygabyte GA-N3150N-D3V (DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2) with 2x3tb WD30EFRX on sata 0/1 and 2x240gb OCZ AGILITY3 on sata2/3

Ciao

ema

Hi guys,

ASMedia ASM1061 SATA Constroller

By dmesg this sata controller is detected correctly, but I can't confirm full functionality - I don't have attached any hdd on it. Anyway I guess in worst case it would need to a little bit modify grub.cfg and add SataPortMap=22 (two drivers on primary and two drivers on secondary SATA controller).

Hi, yes it work... I setup my Gygabyte GA-N3150N-D3V (DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2) with 2x3tb WD30EFRX on sata 0/1 and 2x240gb OCZ AGILITY3 on sata2/3

Ciao

ema

But fyi, ASM1061 external e-sata will not work with more than one disk as the ASM1061 is not FIS/Port multiplier (only the old CBR system).

Only new FIS (as Marvell) are able to support multi external e-sata drives ... but I don't know how to make it works under Synology 3615xs ...

Hi,

i am new with xpenology and want to test the DSM 6 version on a VMware Image

bevor i try to intall it my bare-metal pc.

I just got the VM boot image from page 1, edited grub.cfg with my VID, PID, SN and mac.

After that, i changed the VM settings, added two virtuell SATA HD (tried also iSCSI) and

started the VM. So i could install manually the DS3615xs_8451 pat file. After a reboot

a update to 8451.2 was successfully installed.

The problem is that i could not create volumes.

First i had to create a new disk group. After that i could not create any volume

(Volume or iSCSI).

The plan was to install DSM6 with the two new volume/s as btrfs on a RAID 1 to test the functionality.

Where is my fault ?

I read a lot regarding the SataPortMap, but did not find any hint to configure it on a VM.

Thanks for help and sorry for any inconvenience !!

Report... report... report... annoying BIOS reset still exists on new loader!

I used new loader to install DSM 6 on (bare metal) my Asus Intel H87 plus mobo. Everything looked fine until the first reboot right after configurations written on HDDs. All I have is a blank screen. It even didn't let me log in BIOS to take a look after I disconnected all drives. Had to do a trick by taking battery out, clearing CMOS to set BIOS back up.

Next step, when I tried to update to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2, after the reboot, once again the nightmare is back - got BIOS reset again.

Tried both Jun's image as well as hybrid image at page 10 but no luck. :sad:

Anybody has any experience or solutions that can help please advise. Thanks.

Your inputs would be much appreciated.

I just edited the first post in this thread to add links from setsunakawa, quicknick and arcao to help user to get what they need easily.

If I forgot to add some link just tell me.

I think it should be great if someone can compile more common/updated network drivers like r8168, r8169 (from realtek.com not the in the kernel tree), bnx2x, e1000e (recent version which support I219 adapters), forcedeth (for nvidia adapters)... and repack them with the new loader :smile:

I just edited the first post in this thread to add links from setsunakawa, quicknick and arcao to help user to get what they need easily.

If I forgot to add some link just tell me.

I think it should be great if someone can compile more common/updated network drivers like r8168, r8169 (from realtek.com not the in the kernel tree), bnx2x, e1000e (recent version which support I219 adapters), forcedeth (for nvidia adapters)... and repack them with the new loader :smile:

Great initiative Trantor. I was hopping that to happen for some time as many people are confused as to what loader to use and where to find it.

I created Hyper-V virtual machine with EFI grub, kernel and ramdisk image properly configured in EFI partition and leave second linux partition available. The grub booted and I believe kernel and ramdisk is also properly loaded, but after that I see empty screen (I guess output is directed to serial output), and the machine IP doesn't show up in my router's DHCP list (I use the exact VM configuration to boot ubuntu live iso, the network is available with IP address assigned). So I am thinking is that so the kernel and ramdisk doesn't contain proper ethernet driver for Hyper-V?

I am not able to see serial output, although I tried to use powershell to set version 2 Hyper-V machine's COM1:

PS C:\Users\viumden\Downloads\Syno> Set-VMComPort -VMName DSM6 -Path \\.\pipe\com1 -Number 1

PS C:\Users\viumden\Downloads\Syno> Get-VMComPort -VMName DSM6

VMName Name Path

------ ---- ----

DSM6 COM 1 \\.\pipe\com1

DSM6 COM 2

And no matter using piped.exe + secureCRT or Windbg, I cannot successfully get serial connection to the VM through "\\.\pipe\com1", secureCRT stays attaching status forever, and Windbg says access denied...

I am wondering whether it is also because network driver issue, so it is just not possible to read any output from the VM.

Anyone has ideas to proceed?

Dear @Arcao

After followed your guide, I got notifications: "Unable to mount all folders automatically." Is it normal?

This is strange. I didn't this notification yet. You can try to disable acpid with:

chmod a-x /usr/syno/etc/rc.sysv/S30acpid.sh

and check if this really cause this. To enable, just call:

chmod a+x /usr/syno/etc/rc.sysv/S30acpid.sh

----

Hi guys,

I am trying to a little dig into modified ramdisk image to add kernel modules. If I understood, it's necessary to copy module into /libs/modules/, add module name to EXTRA_MODULES in /etc.defaults/rc.modules to be started at boot. These modules are then on post.init copied to HDD only in case they are not exist. So we have to find a way how to quick update existing kernel modules (I guess they can be also replaced by new DSM pat update). It seems this part of bash code is added by Jun's (if I compare changes between original ramdisk form DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat/rd.gz and Jun's ramdisk.lzma).

RC_MODULES=/etc.defaults/rc.modules

if ! fgrep -q "$RC_MODULES" /tmpRoot/etc.defaults/rc; then
lineno=`fgrep -nm1 'SYNOLoadModules ${KERNEL_MODULES}' /tmpRoot/etc.defaults/rc | cut -d: -f 1`
(
head -n $lineno /tmpRoot/etc.defaults/rc
echo ". $RC_MODULES"
echo 'SYNOLoadModules $EXTRA_MODULES'
tail -n +$(( $lineno + 1 )) /tmpRoot/etc.defaults/rc
) > /tmpRoot/etc.defaults/rc.new
chmod 0755 /tmpRoot/etc.defaults/rc.new
mv -f /tmpRoot/etc.defaults/rc.new /tmpRoot/etc.defaults/rc
cp $RC_MODULES /tmpRoot/$RC_MODULES
fi

. $RC_MODULES

for mod in $DISK_MODULES $EXTRA_MODULES; do
src_path=/lib/modules/${mod}.ko
dst_path=/tmpRoot/lib/modules/${mod}.ko
if [ ! -e ${dst_path}  -a -e ${src_path} ]; then
	cp ${src_path} ${dst_path}
fi
done

for fw in $EXTRA_FIRMWARES; do
src_path=/lib/firmware/${fw}
dst_path=/tmpRoot/lib/firmware/${fw}
if [ ! -e ${dst_path} -a -e ${src_path} ]; then
	mkdir -p `dirname ${dst_path}`
	cp ${src_path} ${dst_path}
fi
done

Hello,

I've seen previously that it would be possible to run this loader on a HP microserver n40L.

Does anybody suceeded at that?

Does it mean that somebody did recompile the kernel with AMD CPU Drivers?

Would it be possible to make a tutorial, because informations are in each pages of this thread, and I'm afraid to make a mistake...

Thanks in advance

Bruno

Please help with Power button.

Dear @Arcao

I followed your instruction. Downloaded your file power-off.tar.gz and saved it at root.

Used putty, logged on as root and extract this file (see picture)

30189538240_84d9286a73_b.jpg

Unfortunately, after I hit Enter key, my Nas is gone, yes completely gone.

Doesn't matter how many times I tried to reboot (cold/ hot boot procedure looks fine/ normal on the screen), but I cannot ping or Assistant can see it. :cry:

My data may be gone without saying a word, yes may be.

Any solutions can bring it back? I'm so scared and exhausted.

Thank you.

Hello,

I've seen previously that it would be possible to run this loader on a HP microserver n40L.

Would it be possible to make a tutorial, because informations are in each pages of this thread, and I'm afraid to make a mistake...

Thanks in advance

Bruno

This is what Jun said about AMD:

The synology kernel do not have AMD CPU support compiled in, so it is expected that AMD box can not run properly.

Adding support requires a full recompilation from source or some non-trivial patch to the synology kernel, both solution has its own difficulties.

I personally does not have the hardware, so It may be a long wait before something positive happens.

Dear @Arcao

After followed your guide, I got notifications: "Unable to mount all folders automatically." Is it normal?

This is strange. I didn't this notification yet. You can try to disable acpid with:

chmod a-x /usr/syno/etc/rc.sysv/S30acpid.sh

and check if this really cause this. To enable, just call:

chmod a+x /usr/syno/etc/rc.sysv/S30acpid.sh

Thank you for your support! But I still get error notifications :wink:

Dear @Arcao

I followed your instruction. Downloaded your file power-off.tar.gz and saved it at root.

Doesn't matter how many times I tried to reboot (cold/ hot boot procedure looks fine/ normal on the screen), but I cannot ping or Assistant can see it. :cry:

Thank you.

Maybe you replaced entire DSM files by Arcao files, therefore your NAS cannot boot property.

But your data still exist :grin: Just following guide to re-install DSM in migrate mode, your data will back.

Dear @Arcao

Thank you.

Uff, please do not extract this archive directly to root. Extract it somewhere else and copy the files (I added parent directory to this archive to not happen this again). Unfortunately tar removed all existing directories which are present in archive. Fortunately data and configuration are still present. You have to run installation of DSM 6 again, unfortunately this not work for me with Jun's boot image (find.synology.com doesn't find the nas). I guess it needs some modification in ramdisk.

So steps which worked for me are follow:

Backup grub.cfg from your boot usb (I have bare metal, but on ESXi this will be similar), replace existing boot usb with latest Xpenoboot 5.2 (probably you will need to modify syslinux.cfg) and boot it in Install/Update mode. Via find.synology.com start migration to latest DSM 6 (just click to install latest DSM), in first restart replace your boot usb with DSM 6 boot image (don't forget to replace grub.cfg with your backuped version) and via find.synology.com start migration again. This will finish and install it DSM 6.0.2-8451. All data and configuration will remain, just update after that to latest DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2.

Edited by Guest

Thank you for your support! But I still get error notifications :wink:

I tried to find about this notification on the Internet and only what I found is following:

You can also unmount problematic folders here:

1. File Station - Tools - Connection List

2. Remote Folder tab

3. Select problem mount item from list

4. Click the Unmount button

Hello,

Thanks in advance

Bruno

This is what Jun said about AMD:

The synology kernel do not have AMD CPU support compiled in, so it is expected that AMD box can not run properly.

Adding support requires a full recompilation from source or some non-trivial patch to the synology kernel, both solution has its own difficulties.

I personally does not have the hardware, so It may be a long wait before something positive happens.

OK, so no chance for the moment

:sad: