XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Cant make wol to work no matter what I try. Whether I use the fake mac on the grub file or the real mac address. Was working perfect on dsm 5.2 but not anymore. When I bind the real mac with the machine's ip in the router settings, quickconnect doesnt work. Followed that method viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3059&hilit=wol but nothing. Any help would be extremely welcome.

I've managed to install it on esxi 6u2 By adding a virtual harddrive when the system is on. When I try to add a disk or serial port right after importing it boots in pxe with no OS installed. Also when DSM was up, a reboot causes the same problem. I've set bios to efi and the boot disk to run first but no success.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D855 met Tapatalk

Hy,

this is a very interist project.

I am currently running Xpenoboot_DS3615_5.2-5967 on a Asrock N3700 Board with 4 Sata disk in SHR2.

Is there a way to migrate without having to re install everything?

If so can soeone point me to latest image to be used?

Thanks a lot

Tested under ESXi with test disks (real sata disks SHR2 mounted via RDM) on Gen 8 ... only issue is that nobody knows how to change S/N MAC1 MAC2 in the install VMDK (btw, I wait to migrate my main DSM5.2 system with 23MB disks ...)

I experimented migration from Xpenoboot 5.2 to the new loader without issues, system detected a migration, keeping the SHR2 etc. upgrade then to 6.2 with normal procedure from Synology repository.

VMDK to use with ESXi is in #1 topic ... few people have had some problem, then a v10 VM is also available Page 3

Tested under ESXi with test disks (real sata disks SHR2 mounted via RDM) on Gen 8 ... only issue is that nobody knows how to change S/N MAC1 MAC2 in the install VMDK (btw, I wait to migrate my main DSM5.2 system with 23MB disks ...)

I experimented migration from Xpenoboot 5.2 to the new loader without issues, system detected a migration, keeping the SHR2 etc. upgrade then to 6.2 with normal procedure from Synology repository.

VMDK to use with ESXi is in #1 topic ... few people have had some problem, then a v10 VM is also available Page 3

Thanks for the Info.

I just want to boot via USB, no VM, I think you call it baremetal. Is that possible? - If so which image can I use, there are so many different ones around here that it is hard to follow.

Tx

Tested under ESXi with test disks (real sata disks SHR2 mounted via RDM) on Gen 8 ... only issue is that nobody knows how to change S/N MAC1 MAC2 in the install VMDK

Ummm. Yeah I do.. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're trying to do! Always a chance! :wink:

I thought I'd suggested a method (maybe I dreamed it?). :smile:

ESXi..

You set up your VM in ESXi as you like it..

Shut it down.

Go to the datastore on the host.

Download the Boot drive VMDK of your VM to a new EMPTY folder on your PC.. You will note that there is more than one file when you download it (this is normal)..

Your PC..

You should have Vmware workstation on your machine - this will allow you to Mount VMDK files as drive letters.

Map the first VMDK file you downloaded to a Drive letter (NOT the vmdk file that has 'flat' or something in the file name), be sure to untick the 'read only' check box when mapping..

Go to the drive you mapped and edit the grub.cfg file. Save the file.

Disconnect the mapped drive (right click on the VMDK file again) on your PC.

ESXi again..

Next, go back to your datastore and upload BOTH vmdk files to the same location, one at a time.

Close the datastore folder and power on your VM again.

Watch how your SN and MAC addresses have changed..

Have a beer..

Yes, I've tested it and it works..

#H

So your system still stays back with Ext4, right? Any (option) chance to switch to Brtfs after the upgrade, if you want? Thanks.

So your system still stays back with Ext4, right? Any (option) chance to switch to Brtfs after the upgrade, if you want? Thanks.

I don't think there is any way to migrate to btrfs from ext4 without data loss. The only thing you can do is backup your data and then recreate the drives with btrfs and copy your data back.

Hey Guys,

thanks for all your work.

Now to my problem. I'm using an Acer H340 with the hybridbiosuefi2.img image. Everything is working properly on 6.0.2. but I have a reboot loop.

On every shutdown the baremetal reboots. It's the same with the junuefibios.img or synoboot.img.

I replaced SN / MAC / VID /PID and the ramdisk.

Any idea?

thanks for your help

First thanks for all the work.

I'm using my own build machine

cpu:intel i3-6100

mb:gigabyte h170m-d3h

ram:kingston 16g ddr4-2133

psu:corsair rm550x

hdd:4*3tb seagate nas hdd

I used the usb boot image for bare metal in UEFI mode in first page on a sandisk ultra fit usb drive

and edit the grub.cfg

but just "Welcome to GRUB"

and i can't even see anything in the assistant

is lack of driver?

thanks for helping

So I finally had the time to check. I have had xpenology for some years now and it's really great. I Run a HP N54l with an AMD Turion II processor and I was wondering if somebody made some progress with running DSM 6 on this machine bare metal? or is the only way currently Esxi?

I don't create my vm.. i use one vm from the early posts. > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=20#p72956

Tried that, can't add rdm to it; this is the error message :

"Failed to reconfigure virtual machine DSM-6. Incompatible device backing specified for device '3'

Update: my bad, I forgot that the drive I was trying to use for RDM was an old unused datastore; removed the datastore and now I'm able to add it. Also I can use the rdm's that I used on dsm5, but they are ext4 :sad: I have no space to backup all the data to migrate to btrfs so I gues I'll use the ext4 for now.

Tested under ESXi with test disks (real sata disks SHR2 mounted via RDM) on Gen 8 ... only issue is that nobody knows how to change S/N MAC1 MAC2 in the install VMDK

Yes, I've tested it and it works..

#H

Yeah ! many thanks, it works on that way ... I do not understand why the raw VMDK never imported via ovf in ESXi is not able to be mapped/edit in VMWorkstation, and that once imported then re-exported it's possible to edit it under VMWorkstation ...

Well, great thanks, I initiated the migration of my prod systems ...

:grin::grin::grin:

I don't think there is any way to migrate to btrfs from ext4 without data loss. The only thing you can do is backup your data and then recreate the drives with btrfs and copy your data back.

Correct, no way to migrate within Synology DSM from ext4 to btrfs ... not nice as other Linux based systems allow the migration ...

So I finally had the time to check. I have had xpenology for some years now and it's really great. I Run a HP N54l with an AMD Turion II processor and I was wondering if somebody made some progress with running DSM 6 on this machine bare metal? or is the only way currently Esxi?

If you read this thread (from page 10 to now), you wouldn't ask.

New loader is good for both bare metal and VM, but right now not for your AMD system. Period.

Correct, no way to migrate within Synology DSM from ext4 to btrfs ... not nice as other Linux based systems allow the migration ...

Thanks for your thoughts.

But my idea is I have a Nas DSM 5.2 with 2TB x 8 HDDs. Data currently occupied 4 HDDs. When I finish migrating to DSM 6, I'll use the other 4 HDDs to create a new volume in Brtfs and move data from the old volume in Ext4 to the new volume. When the migration is done, I'll destroy the old volume and expand the new Brtfs volume to all 8 HDDs.

I think there is A WAY to migrate to Btrfs from Ext4, right?

What's your thoughts? Is it possilbe? :grin:

Thanks for your thoughts.

But my idea is I have a Nas DSM 5.2 with 2TB x 8 HDDs. Data currently occupied 4 HDDs. When I finish migrating to DSM 6, I'll use the other 4 HDDs to create a new volume in Brtfs and move data from the old volume in Ext4 to the new volume. When the migration is done, I'll destroy the old volume and expand the new Brtfs volume to all 8 HDDs.

I think there is A WAY to migrate to Btrfs from Ext4, right?

What's your thoughts? Is it possilbe? :grin:

That would work. When you add the HDD back to expand Btrfs volume, do it one HD at a time.

What you are doing is not migration. Migration is in-place conversion.