XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

From what i'm see the versions that exists only work in bios with uefi (bare metal) or with vmware.

Is only i can say :sad:

I have gen8 with bare metal ds5 and now i'm moving it to a exsi ds 6... but i didn't do it until get a clear vision of the development status

Also see this post for updates > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=74492#p74492

VM and ESXI:

Use the files in Jun's OP which includes all the info required to install DSM 6.

Baremetal UEFI

Use the file in Jun's OP Hybrid image for Bare Metal builds on boards with UEFI support.

For Gen 8 Bearmetal and other non-UEFI machines there are two options:

1: http://www.xpenology.com/forum/viewtopi ... =90#p73344 this worked for me. Using this img means you need to replace the romdisk file with the patched version which is included in the Bare Metal UEFI image linked in the OP. Setsunakawa img plus Jun romdisk.

2: http://www.xpenology.com/forum/viewtopi ... 260#p74144 the file is only available for 30 days from date of post! Someone needs to mirror the file. :wink: This loader works out of the box you don't need to mess about with the ramdisk. Afaik I used option one prior to this release. Other Gen 8 users have reported success using Sweebee's img.

Gen 7

There are reports of successful Installations on older Gen 7 hardware but I haven't managed to achieve that so far and put some time in trying. :sad:

In addition to the img/romdisk file you will need a matched Serial number and MAC address pair. The PID and VID of the USB you're using for the installation.

You will need to edit the grub file using the information above.

You may also need to add other details such as:

SataPortMap=4 (where 4 equals the number of drives in your system)

rmmod=ata_piix (virtual machine uses may need this)

console=ttyS0,115200n8 (see notes on console output in OP)

There are other option mentioned in this thread.

If your boards bios has Serial Console support enable it and read up on issues caused by serial console output (details in the OP).

If your bios has no Serial Console support you need to edit files that try to output to the Console (details are in the OP).

From my experience migration is pretty comprehensive which includes Synology configuration and the packages I had installed. I'm not too sure if docker migrates well? My testing has been very limited so don't take my word for anything and backup vital data! My experience is entirely based on a Gen 8 migration from the latest Xpen and DSM 5.2-5967 UD 2 it's been up and running for around three days and I haven't noticed any issues to date. Obviously there are some things that have changed due to code changes between 5.2.x and 6.x so don't expect the same functions and features to be there. SHR is an issue as it's not supported although you can migrate SHR drives to DSM 6 (it worked for me).

It's early days and it will take time to discover quirks etc. it's probably not a good idea to take the leap on production boxes right now imho.

SHR issues:

Spellman has been investigating the SHR issue here's an update > http://www.xpenology.com/forum/viewtopi ... 310#p74230

SHR support:

Important! Make sure you edit the synoinfo.conf in the etc.defaults folder.

See this post by Jun > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=440#p74525

For SHR support

just edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

comment out/delete

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add

support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"

press F5 on you web browser

Using SataPortMap=

See post by Setsunakawa > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=430#p74497

SataPortMap=4 means first 4 ports of 1st controler.

SataPortMap=44 means first 4 ports of 1st controler and first 4 ports of 2nd controler.

SataPortMap=422 means first 4 ports of 1st controler, first 2 ports of 2nd controler and first 2 ports of 3rd controle

I think that's a reasonable summary of the first 30 pages.

@jun please could you put links to the alternative images (Gen8) in your OP to make it easier for people to find them? And thanks again for your contribution it's very cool and much appreciated. :smile:

Edit: Polanskiman beat me to it. :smile:

See this post for updates > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=74492#p74492

Edited by Guest

Polanskiman and CtrlAltDel thanks for both of your post's!

I read all the page's, but this posts help me to understand things better.

I already have gen8 ds6 running with exsi, i only don't decide yet to migrate my data from gen8 bare metal ds5.

Two questions

- in esxi ds6 is need change serial numbers? I don't change nothing but i only boot and nothing much more.

- If do ds6 in bare metal with second image is need change vid/pid and serial numbers or nothing is needed?

Thanks all for time and work

Thanks for loader. Great job!

I'm hosting DSM at ESXi and want to create SSD cache.

Is the way virtual disk to be recognized as SSD not HDD inside DSM Virtual Machine? RDM is not an option for me.

Very easy, just assign your vmdk to the SATA controller instead of SCSI. I did it and it works fine.

There is no output so it's perfectly normal that it stops at Booting Kernel. You have to connect through find.synology.com

Unfortunately nothing to see Koalala, other tips or tricks? It does not appear on my router as well, no ip address assigned.

What is your network card ? Only limited number of cards are supported.

Maybe a dumb question but is there also en ISO file or can i convert the .img file to en iso to load this in virtualbox ?

thank you

Michael

Possible. If you are on Mac it's pretty easy to convert it through the disk utility. On PC there are certainly other software. Google is your friend. :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Guest

There is no output so it's perfectly normal that it stops at Booting Kernel. You have to connect through find.synology.com

Unfortunately nothing to see Koalala, other tips or tricks? It does not appear on my router as well, no ip address assigned.

What is your network card ? Only limited number of cards are supported.

It is the onboard one NC107i PCI Express Gigabit 10/100/1000

I think my N40L uses a Broadcom BCM5723 based driver for the onboard NC107i and I can't see it on the network after the current version of the loader boots. So it looks like it's not supported right now. Hopefully there will be more drivers added in the not so distant future.

Can you boot a linux (ubuntu for ex) and give me the name of the module used by your network card ? I will build it :smile:.

I think my N40L uses a Broadcom BCM5723 based driver for the onboard NC107i and I can't see it on the network after the current version of the loader boots. So it looks like it's not supported right now. Hopefully there will be more drivers added in the not so distant future.

Can you boot a linux (ubuntu for ex) and give me the name of the module used by your network card ? I will build it :smile:.

Hi Setunakawa,

I used mint command lspci -v and the reported kernel driver and module in use is reported as "tg3". If you need more info let me know and if you give me the commands you want me to run that would help I'm not great with linux command line. :oops:

Thanks for taking a look it would be nice to get the Gen7's on to DSM6. Could you also add Jun's latest romdisk file to your build to make it easier for people to use?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I will make a new version with jun's latest changes :smile:.

I will try a ramdisk with mellanox and broadcom, but with no warranty as I don't have hardware to test them.

Where did you get source to compile drivers?

Or you don't use any source?

I would like to add SCST support to use Fiber Channel cards, i'v already added support in old DSM but the hard part is user space part, i don't have needing skills to write a package with all stuff inside.

chipnick gave me sources of 7274 some months ago, I had successfully made a kernel for my hardware (intel cpu, realtek nic, pch sata) but install always failled at 56% and after lot's of days & nights, I gave up.

Jun succeeded where I failed with his module :grin:

It's possible to have source ? i would like to try to check if SCST works or not

Yes, I will make a new version with jun's latest changes :smile:.

I will try a ramdisk with mellanox and broadcom, but with no warranty as I don't have hardware to test them.

We don't need any guarantees we will test for you. :smile: You will make a lot of people very happy if it works on the Gen7's. :cool:

Maybe we need to start a new supported hardware list for this new method or get Trantor to append his list with the new info?

This branch needs a project name and a versioning system for sanities sake. Maybe EXPEnoDynoPatch, EXPEnoDPatch or something?

Another update to my shr. For some reason I have been under the impression that a ds1513+ can do btrfs, but alas it can't. So that means I don't have any way of building a shr btrfs volume. I don't see why it wouldn't work to build a volume on a machine that can and then migrate it into the 3615xs dsm 6.0. For now I'm calling it quits on that and moving forward on building my actual shr ext4 volume that I will use as a destination hyper backup machine. Anyone have a few quick words on if ext4 or btrfs matters for this purpose? There is a lot of conflicting reports on the net, and at the end of the day how much will it matter?

If you want to build a new shr volume for dsm 6.0, I would put xpenology 5.2 5967 on another usb and run that. Build your volume, then replace the usb with the dsm 6 one. Last step is to simply migrate the volume in. You can expand that volume by adding new drives, and I presume by replacing drives with larger ones (didn't test that, but see no reason why it wouldn't work).

I'm guessing synology left the dormant code for shr in for migrating purposes. I think I read somewhere that shr has a max volume of 108tb. With todays larger drives and the market that this is aimed at, I'm guessing that they are trying to steer people away from hitting that threshold with these large drive number bays before they get a chance to run into that issue.

We don't need any guarantees we will test for you. :smile: You will make a lot of people very happy if it works on the Gen7's. :cool:

Maybe we need to start a new supported hardware list for this new method or get Trantor to append his list with the new info?

This branch needs a project name and a versioning system for sanities sake. Maybe EXPEnoDynoPatch, EXPEnoDPatch or something?

PatSy ?

For now I'm calling it quits on that and moving forward on building my actual shr ext4 volume that I will use as a destination hyper backup machine. Anyone have a few quick words on if ext4 or btrfs matters for this purpose? There is a lot of conflicting reports on the net, and at the end of the day how much will it matter?

As I understand it btrfs has good data integrity checks which seems like a major advantage in a data storage and backup environment where bitrot is a potential issue. ext4 doesn't offer that layer of checking and is therefore less reliable with respect to data integrity. I haven't used anything with btrfs so I don't know how it's implemented in a real world environment? I assume the core features of btrfs are usable so there are snapshot, deduplication and cloning options to name a few benefits. The big issue seems to be the limitation of raid system support and in our case shr and the advantages that has for mixed drive support.

I think the topic needs a thread in its own right because it's going to be a decision we all face now that we can make use of DSM6. Many of us have a mishmash of drives so retaining shr would be an advantage. I was going to rebuild my systems with fresh installs of DSM6 but now you have got me rethinking that idea. :???:

PatSy ?

I'm not sure dropping the EXPEno prefix would be desirable given the heritage etc. Jun may have some ideas for naming his project considering the honour is his? Now seems to be a good time as this patch is gaining traction fast, and it's already confusing for people that are just starting to follow the project.

For now I'm calling it quits on that and moving forward on building my actual shr ext4 volume that I will use as a destination hyper backup machine. Anyone have a few quick words on if ext4 or btrfs matters for this purpose? There is a lot of conflicting reports on the net, and at the end of the day how much will it matter?

As I understand it btrfs has good data integrity checks which seems like a major advantage in a data storage and backup environment where bitrot is a potential issue. ext4 doesn't offer that layer of checking and is therefore less reliable with respect to data integrity. I haven't used anything with btrfs so I don't know how it's implemented in a real world environment? I assume the core features of btrfs are usable so there are snapshot, deduplication and cloning options to name a few benefits. The big issue seems to be the limitation of raid system support and in our case shr and the advantages that has for mixed drive support.

I think the topic needs a thread in its own right because it's going to be a decision we all face now that we can make use of DSM6. Many of us have a mishmash of drives so retaining shr would be an advantage. I was going to rebuild my systems with fresh installs of DSM6 but now you have got me rethinking that idea. :???:

Thanks for the info! Yeah I knew about the bitrot prevention (something I have personally never seen), but haven't ever heard many hard facts about the deduplication and cloning options, just a lot of either "btrfs is the worst, doesn't do what it says and is slower" or "you are ignorant and irresponsible if you are using a file system other that btrfs."

Is there anything that ties this installation directly to the 3615xs aside from the model number? I haven't tried changing that but wasn't sure if you could swap that out in the grub.cfg and download a pat for a different model. Obviously there are other issues with sn and mac addresses for quickconnect. But it would be awesome to just get a btrfs volume created, then migrate that to the 3615xs that seems to be working great.