XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

1 minute ago, maxime said:

Please, can you explain it better? Thank you so much!

Not really sure what more there is to explain, the setting I was referring to is this line in grub.cfg.

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0'

1 minute ago, Dfds said:

Not really sure what more there is to explain, the setting I was referring to is this line in grub.cfg.

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0'

Perfect. Thanks

1 minute ago, Dfds said:

thats wierd i have the same settings the drive just wont show up :(

On 7/15/2017 at 10:26 PM, CrazyCreator said:

how do a hard reset? or you mean a reboot from/with iLO Web-GUI?

On 7/15/2017 at 3:43 PM, ikia said:

Hi Hooligan :smile:

Can you tell me how did you do Hard Reset on HP Gen8? 

Regards

Igor

rebooted from iLO i mean. its not hard reset but years with smartphones broke me ;) 

1 hour ago, Dfds said:

You could try flashing the bios again, this appears to be a newer version:

http://www.nathanielperez.us/blog/hp-proliant-n40l-bios-modification-guide

or getting a 2 port pcie sata card

just tried flashing the modded bios stil have the same problem.. and i have just tried installing a new HDD and reinstall DSM_DS3615xs_8451 and stil same problem cant find disk 5

1 hour ago, wiruzdk said:

i finally figured it out had to set

Sata ID Combined Mode to Disabled

Enable OnChip Sata Channel, OnChip IDE Type to IDE

SATA ESP and SATA Power on all PORT to Enabled.

and now its working with 5 drives

thank you.

Glad you got it sorted.

16 minutes ago, Dfds said:

Glad you got it sorted.

there is just one last thing it is being recognized as disk 6 and the dsm says 11 disk available

i would like dsm to have 5 disk available and the 5 disk being recognized as disk 5 and not disk 6

i think it has something to do with sataportmap i have tried with 5 and 1 but both recognized it as disk 6

Before going to my production system I wanted to test it with an old drive I still had lying around. It has an older version of DSM installed, however I forgot the password on it..... How can I reset the password with 6.1? Anybody have an idea?

Have a Q1900. I have successfully uploaded the new DSM version and tried to migrate, however as mentioned stuck on logging into the system...

Is it possible/wise to update in one go from 5.2 to 6.1. just tested it on a spare drive with 5.2 on it, and all went smooth, however before jumping to production two questions:

1. Will I retain the SHR setup? in the new 6.1 it is no longer possible te select SHR (unless you change the settings through synoinfo.conf

2. can I jump in one go from 5.2 to 6.1? or is it wise to install 6.02 first?

thanks

on a Q1900 with SHR and 4 HDD's

1 hour ago, pwvandeursen said:

Is it possible/wise to update in one go from 5.2 to 6.1. just tested it on a spare drive with 5.2 on it, and all went smooth, however before jumping to production two questions:

1. Will I retain the SHR setup? in the new 6.1 it is no longer possible te select SHR (unless you change the settings through synoinfo.conf

2. can I jump in one go from 5.2 to 6.1? or is it wise to install 6.02 first?

thanks

on a Q1900 with SHR and 4 HDD's

I believe SHR is only enabled on consumer units by default (like the DS916p). As you said you can enable SHR on enterprise class devices but it's something which has to be done via SSH.

Also others have had success with migrating their existing SHR array to a loader with SHR disabled, it just means you cannot create any more SHR arrays without editing your config first. The worst that will happen is DSM will just not mount your volume, though SHR is only disabled via the GUI not system-level. I tested this myself in VMware a while ago and it worked for me (but I went from 6.0.2 to 6.1.1).

Edited by filippo333
  • Like 1

Thanks Filippo333 for the clear answer. So what you say is if I have a SHR, it will retain that configuration, eventhough a fresh system can not select SHR as a RAID option. It used to be an option as I started from scratch on the DS3615xs, and built the SHR on that with 4 drive (2x3tb and 2 x6TB so don't want to go to RAID 5 as that will cost 3TB of storage). Since DSM 6, it can no longer be selected as option in the DS3615xs, possibly still on the more consumer focused units indeed.

Would be great to hear some feedback from others on the update route (5.2->6.1 or 5.2->6.02->6.1)

55 minutes ago, pwvandeursen said:

Thanks Filippo333 for the clear answer. So what you say is if I have a SHR, it will retain that configuration, eventhough a fresh system can not select SHR as a RAID option. It used to be an option as I started from scratch on the DS3615xs, and built the SHR on that with 4 drive (2x3tb and 2 x6TB so don't want to go to RAID 5 as that will cost 3TB of storage). Since DSM 6, it can no longer be selected as option in the DS3615xs, possibly still on the more consumer focused units indeed.

Would be great to hear some feedback from others on the update route (5.2->6.1 or 5.2->6.02->6.1)

That's correct SHR normally continues working when migrated to a loader which doesn't officially support it OOTB :smile:

Obviously I do strongly recommend editing the config file on the DS3615xs loader if you want to continue using SHR.

On 8/2/2017 at 7:47 PM, tuonoazzurro said:

Hi, i'm running Jun's Loader 1.01 on a HP Microserver Gen8. I've noticed that hdd are always spinning, they don't go into hibernation. Could someone tell me if is this ok or i'm missing a step? On the power setting i set hibernation for sata to 10 minutes. I've resilio sync package installed but i tried stopping it with the same problem.

Does HDD hibernation works for you?

Thanks

On 8/2/2017 at 8:27 PM, Fizz Khalifa said:

I have the same problem, hibernation not working with 6.0.2-8451 update 8. I even reinstalled and set up a SSD as volume 1, so if a package or something needs to be loaded it doesn't need to spin up my hard drive. But it isn't going into hibernation ever.

Could we somehow monitor what is accessing the drive? Or is this a driver problem? I use WD Red 3tb.

On 8/2/2017 at 11:30 PM, tuonoazzurro said:

Are also you on HP Microserver gen8? I'm not using wd red, i'm using seagate barracuda, but with Dsm 5.2 the hybernation worked with the same hardware setup so i think the problem is not related to HDD

Same problem !

I set up an SSD as internal volume and other 3 drives configured as eSata data-only drive by editing the synoinfo.conf file. I have also connected an external USB drive.

I've stopped all services but no one disks go into hibernation. With the same hardware setup and DSM 5.1 hibernation worked.

Edited by robermix

Hello All,

I was able to successfully upgrade 5.x to 6.1, ran for a couple of days, then after a powerfail something strange happened, I could never see the IP in assistant and of course can't get to interface via web IP ( hard coded ).  Using Jun's 1.02B loader.

I then made a new thumb drive to test and still the same type of thing. I noticed on the switch which had LACP for 2 ports, that it said link down and showed both ports in standby member with no ports active.  Taking away LACP made no difference.

I even went as far as replacing the server hardware to the same exact type of server without success.

Strangely enough if I disconnect the 2 hard drives and boot up on the USB alone, it sees the box and of course requests drives.

I decided to put a blank drive in the system, installed and everything ran, I then put 1 of the former mirrored drives in and I was able to read everything.

I eventually got both drives in raid again and it was syncing.

When I bonded the cards for LACP 9000 MTU, guess what locked up again.

This was working fine in the 5.x version.

Am I the only one experiencing the issue with LACP which somehow trashes the box and doesn't allow it to boot?

Thanks!