XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

5 hours ago, lunzet said:

Just want to share my experience with this awesome project :-)

I am running the latest Bootloader 1.02b on ESXI 6.0 without issues or any timebomb problem:

595ca3ba9d191_2017-07-0510_29_57-diskstation-SynologyDiskStation.jpg.4384a6f406369af1b7c1fdd52434f38a.jpg

Had some issues initially after NIC Teaming (network not responding) and had some bad troubles to get the synoboot.img back to work (Serial + MAC) and DSM to respond to the Network again but after resetting serials and MAC's averything went fine again. In fact running this on VMWare is a very nice setup as you are still able to run other machines in parallel and backup/restore of the DSM VM should give some additional safety nets also.

Just wondering if there is any helpful Information available on

1) how the bootloader really works in detail e.g. sequence of loading (this might give evberyone better ideas on where to start troubleshooting).

2) How to attach to the serial port on the VM? Does anyone know?

3) How to map the virtual disk (vmdk) of the VM's system drive (tried some findings from google but the image is not recognized by osfmount for example) to adjust DSM settings in case of emergencies.

4) Is there an up-to-date wiki somewhere?

In Summary....highly appreciate all the work from devs and others on this project. Please keep up as this is really an essential good piece of work.

Is there any way to give you some donations? (sorry did not search here :-) )

Thanks

1) I haven't looked fully at the details yet, but its clear it uses a GRUB stub boot loader.  It appears to do something like booting the stock kernel, inserting any extra modules included and then calling "busybox init" which triggers regular system boot up.

2) In ESXi, you have several options.  The easiest is to probably set Serial Port 1 in the VM settings to "Use Network", direction "Server" and a port URI similar to "telnet://:8022".  Then you can telnet to the address of the ESXi host the VM is running on and that port number (ex. telnet esxi01.mydomain.com 8022).  Don't leave this connected unless you have appropriate network firewalling in place (you can just check and uncheck the connected box as needed).

3) I don't know what this means.  There are numerous guides out there on how to open synoboot.img if that's what you mean.  If you mean the actual data disks and where the OS is installed, there are also numerous guides on that.  Google "Using ubuntu to recover synology data"

4) No wiki I know of.  But I'm still new to this stuff (only a few months using it).

21 hours ago, Error404 said:

Yes, that's right, you understand me correctly. Mobile applications were unavailable too. SMB, Plex and others were working.

I have reinstalled DSM again and it's working about 5 hours.

2017-07-04_22-15-34.png

I had a similar issue with DSM 5.2, but it was because the root partition had run out of disk space.  Possible this was the case?

Hello,

my first post and I really want to say thank you to all the community

I've upgraded with success from 5.2-5967.1 update 3   to    6.1.2-15132 with loader 1.02b

esxi 6.0 update 2 on Microserver gen8 with xeon E3 1220L v2

1 ssd for datastore on internal controller and passthrough of a LSi 9211-8i flashed in IT mode with 4 HDDs

migration, no clean install and volume repair

what I've done:

1) download the image file from first post here (I've used loader 1.02b ds3615)

2) edit settings of your current vm with xpenoboot 5.2 and write down MAC address

3) login to your DSM 5.2 web interface and write down serial number; shutdown the vm

4) download and install OSFmount, then mount the image file downloaded at point 1 (untick "read-only drive"); choose partiton 0 15MB

5) with notepad++ or similar edit grub.cfg with serial and MAC address from point 2 and 3, you can also change the default timeout; I haven't changed anything related to vid and pid

6) download and install StarWind V2V Image converter; convert the image file with modified grub.cfg (choose VWware ESX server image)

7) this will result in 2 files synoboot.wmdk and synoboot-flat.wmdk

8) upload them to the same datastore where you have xpenoboot.wmdk; you can use datastore browser to upload files

9) edit settings of the vm and delete the hard disk pointing to xpenoboot.vmdk virtual disk 

10) add new hard disk scsi 0:0 independent  non persistent pointing to synoboot.vmdk

11) I haven't added any serial port

12) start the vm and open immediately the console, because you have to select the third entry of the boot menu, the one related to esxi (I wasn't enough quick and needed a vm reset..)

13) open a web browser to find.synology.com

14) connect, install, migrate, manual install with the latest pat file you can download from links here https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7294-links-to-dsm-and-critical-updates/

15) in my case the ip was changed, so log in and update it, then update packeges in the package center... backup and replication is now called hyperbackup

hope this helps someone

bye

Edited by blu001
  • Like 3

just to share: ESXi 6.5 on Microserver Gen8, pci-e passthrought LSI, etc, etc...

It works better if you use VMXNET3 NIC with MANUAL MAC ADDRESS (the same you have on grub), adjust the settings on vmk file.

Edited by oculto

Just to share :-)

1) esxi free license does not allow to run the remote serial port (so i switched it to local file output to serial.out)

2) If you are running a bonded network with several nic adapters within dsm you need to be careful while changing any nic settings on vmware. dsm might get unresponsive as something might screw up during the reconfig of nic adapters. I am not sure if its related to dsm openvswitch (which I disabled now) or to the nic bond itself but I am now keeping an additional nic adapter always as a backdoor :-)

Hope this helps.

And again... all u devs...keep up ur amazing work

23 hours ago, blu001 said:

Hello,

I've upgraded with success from 5.2-5967.1 update 3   to    6.1.2-15132 with loader 1.02b

[...]

after the upgrade I had problems with samba shares, I was able to access public folders, but not the folders requiring authentication

I tried everything from inside DiskStation web interface, but without success, so I came up with this solution:

ssh admin@<DiskStation_ip>  ssh access to your DiskStation; you will be asked for the admin password

sudo -i  for root privileges; you will be asked for the admin password

smbpasswd -a <user>  for every DiskStation user who needs samba access to shared folders; you will be asked for a password for every user

that's all, just in case someone has the same problem

bye

Edited by blu001

I also like to share my experience with the new bootloader:

I'm running a HP Proliant MS Gen8 with Celeron-Processor and 3GB RAM, baremetal.

I updated from Juns Loader 1.02a for DS3615xs running DSM 6.1 to Loader 1.02b for DS3617xs with DSM 6.1.2.

I only changed Vid/Pid in the bootloader, MAC Adress and SN leaving untouched.

I done a migration with this update.

After 24 hours I ran into the "Timebomb-Issue".

After that I made a clean, new install with the same settings.

I had to reinstall DSM and my packages and everythings working great.

I didn't lost any data, and the system is running for about one week without any issues

Can all DTV applications and drivers work on 3615xs ? I have celeron in my Hp Micro Gen8 with 10Gb Ram

6 minutes ago, nevusZ said:

hy dire, according to 

you need at least a gen 4 core processor or a braswell device for example n3710 or newer like j3455 which i use with ds916+ image.

stay with ds3615xs.

Can DTV within VideStation work in 3615xs with drivers? I have PCTV 292e, listed as supported no Synology Website, but not for the 3615xs..

My Hardware is HP MicrServe Gen8 (celeron) with 10Gb ram

Hi guys,

Currently running DSM 6.1 on esxi 6.5 (loader v1.02a) wich is running on HP Gen8.

i am running the ds3615xs version. Because of performance issue i would like to switch to a new installation of the ds3617xs with loader v1.02b.

Does any one have a fastest way to do this? and does some one have a ovf template to import to esxi? i have about 2TB of data connected to the vm as virtual disk. thanks in advance

Edited by niomar

On 2017-7-7 at 2:19 PM, nevusZ said:

hy dire, according to 

you need at least a gen 4 core processor or a braswell device for example n3710 or newer like j3455 which i use with ds916+ image.

stay with ds3615xs.

So is DS916 image working fine? You are the first one I saw that succesfully uses it. I have N3050, so I guess it should work for me as well.

On 7/6/2017 at 2:32 AM, blu001 said:

Hello,

esxi 6.0 update 2 on Microserver gen8 with xeon E3 1220L v2

1 ssd for datastore on internal controller and passthrough of a LSi 9211-8i flashed in IT mode with 4 HDDs

migration, no clean install and volume repair

what I've done:

1) download the image file from first post here (I've used loader 1.02b ds3615)

2) edit settings of your current vm with xpenoboot 5.2 and write down MAC address

3) login to your DSM 5.2 web interface and write down serial number; shutdown the vm

4) download and install OSFmount, then mount the image file downloaded at point 1 (untick "read-only drive"); choose partiton 0 15MB

5) with notepad++ or similar edit grub.cfg with serial and MAC address from point 2 and 3, you can also change the default timeout; I haven't changed anything related to vid and pid

6) download and install StarWind V2V Image converter; convert the image file with modified grub.cfg (choose VWware ESX server image)

7) this will result in 2 files synoboot.wmdk and synoboot-flat.wmdk

8) upload them to the same datastore where you have xpenoboot.wmdk; you can use datastore browser to upload files

9) edit settings of the vm and delete the hard disk pointing to xpenoboot.vmdk virtual disk 

10) add new hard disk scsi 0:0 independent  non persistent pointing to synoboot.vmdk

11) I haven't added any serial port

12) start the vm and open immediately the console, because you have to select the third entry of the boot menu, the one related to esxi (I wasn't enough quick and needed a vm reset..)

13) open a web browser to find.synology.com

14) connect, install, migrate, manual install with the latest pat file you can download from links here https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7294-links-to-dsm-and-critical-updates/

15) in my case the ip was changed, so log in and update it, then update packeges in the package center... backup and replication is now called hyperbackup

hope this helps someone

bye

Thanks, worked for my migration except that I also had to change the VM settings to do a EFI boot instead of it's previous BIOS boot. Now to figure out if I can change the hard drive format from ext4 to btrfs which was my motivation to upgrade in the first place!

On 07.07.2017 at 11:54 AM, Sonnyboy666 said:

I also like to share my experience with the new bootloader:

I'm running a HP Proliant MS Gen8 with Celeron-Processor and 3GB RAM, baremetal.

I updated from Juns Loader 1.02a for DS3615xs running DSM 6.1 to Loader 1.02b for DS3617xs with DSM 6.1.2.

I only changed Vid/Pid in the bootloader, MAC Adress and SN leaving untouched.

I done a migration with this update.

After 24 hours I ran into the "Timebomb-Issue".

After that I made a clean, new install with the same settings.

I had to reinstall DSM and my packages and everythings working great.

I didn't lost any data, and the system is running for about one week without any issues

I had a clean install too - no result. The problem is the same after 2 days. =(

But DSM works faster. =))

On 7/7/2017 at 1:42 AM, blu001 said:

after the upgrade I had problems with samba shares, I was able to access public folders, but not the folders requiring authentication

I tried everything from inside DiskStation web interface, but without success, so I came up with this solution:

ssh admin@<DiskStation_ip>  ssh access to your DiskStation; you will be asked for the admin password

smbpasswd -a <user>  for every DiskStation user who needs samba access to shared folders; you will be asked for a password for every user

bye

Don't know why but I haven't had this problem. Yet!

Successful Bare metal installation.

followed instructions(thanks by the way great job)

- put the loader on USB

- edit grub by pressing 'c' during startup

- added serial/mac/vid/pid

- rebooted

- installed latest version for the 3615 with Synology Assistant

- reattached old 5.2 disks with data on it and installed plugins again

done

20 hours ago, abced said:

So is DS916 image working fine? You are the first one I saw that succesfully uses it. I have N3050, so I guess it should work for me as well.

Its working fine for me since 1 week.

I had to uncheck " hardware transcoding" in videostation so video transcoding is working

On 7.7.2017 at 10:42 AM, blu001 said:

bye

I also had that problem

Looks like the /etc/samba/smbpasswd file has xxxxxxx in user and pw after upgrade

I solved it by going to dsm-> control panel->users and set new password(or the same password)

The smbpasswd file is also updated!

• Like 1