XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Bare Metal upgrade from 5.2 (2nd last update) to DSM 6.1.3-15152

AMD A4-5300 APU

MSI fm2-a75ma-e35

LSI/IBM sas9220-8i 46m0861 Flashed to IT Mode

9 Drives total.

Followed the guide to setup 1.02b. Only thing different was the grub file is not on the 30MB partition, its on the 15MB one.

Couldn't find anything in my BIOS about C3, and since its a cheap board, assume its just not there.

Installed 1.02b no problem, no other prior upgrade path used.

Booted fine. find.synology.com worked first time. It downloaded DSM on its own, didn't ask me to  upload a .pat file.

First issue was my drives are all different order from before. Also, 2 drives didn't show. So SHR was crashed. Mucked around with grub and setting the port mapping. Got it to work. One drive reported crashed, which I believe to be because I had just repaired before my upgrade on DSM 5.2 Had a 3TB drive die. Put this new one in, it repaired and expanded (bigger drive than the one replacing) and within minutes of it being done, I upgraded to DSM 6.1 All I did was pull the crash disk, put into my windows machine, cleaned it, and stuck it back in. Its rebuilding the Raid now.  Hopefully, all goes well.

I wish I knew how to read my grub config on the USB stick so I can figure out what sata port map formula worked, because I forgot. The LSI card used to show as 1-8 and now its 12-4 in the DSM storage manager.

Hi guys,

I just finish to migrate from DSM 5.1-5022 to DSM 6.1.3-15152 on my HP N54L with no issue at all !

Just a question, how can I apply the DSM 6.1.3-15152 update 4 without problem?

Do I have to install manually update 1, 2 and 3 first?

Thanks for your help and thanks for your great work !

22 minutes ago, azn-tuan said:

Hi guys,

I just finish to migrate from DSM 5.1-5022 to DSM 6.1.3-15152 on my HP N54L with no issue at all !

Just a question, how can I apply the DSM 6.1.3-15152 update 4 without problem?

Do I have to install manually update 1, 2 and 3 first?

Thanks for your help and thanks for your great work !

just install u4 it contains all the other updates too

you can open the update pat with 7zip and habe a look, there are older files in it from the former updates

Edited by IG-88

I had an odd failure yesterday with v1.02running DSM 6.1.3-15152 update 3.  I was trying to install a plex server update and that seemed to lock up the system and the web page was giving a generic synology saying the page you are looking for cant be loaded or something to that effect. I power cycled the server multiple times with no luck . i was thinking BTRFS failure or something so i pulled all drives and booted and got synology page saying no disks found and insert them. so i inserted the disks back and it prompted me to restup like my first time . to my surprise the Volume was still there and all my files seem to be intact. this was very odd my system has been running great for a while now.  Any ideas on what may have happened ?

Using Jun's 1.02b with version DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 4 on KVM as USB device.

For some reason my disks starts at slot 4, skips 7 and goes up to 12.

When i add another drive it shows up as a External Device instead of filling up the empty slots.

Tried playing with portmapping with no luck.

Anyone know how to fix this? Making a new VM with virtual drives will make it start at slot 1.

VM was first made with 1 Virtual disk where i installed apps and DSM. Then added drives to create an SHR1.

k9pRxKq.png

7 hours ago, Razor237 said:

Any ideas on what may have happened ?

my guess would be the plex plugin was not from synology?

you should have a look if there is something in the log

also when the web page is not availible you still might be able to access the system with ssh (should have been activated before) and check the log

if you want to know you can also setup a vm with dsm and try the plugin there (a snapshot of the vm before the test might be good)

Hi Everyone!

What is the correct way to increase the maximum number of drives?
I am running korovi's ESXi template with an HBA passed through. Everything seems to work but I'm up against the disk limit and would like to increase. Tried asking around in the thread for the ovf, but it seems to be dead.

The issue is if I ssh in and edit the synoinfo.conf file and reboot it thinks I moved my drives to a new DiskStation; it pulls a new address from the DHCP server and forces me to reinstall after which data and packages (and settings mostly) are intact but the max number of drives in Storage Manager is reset to 12.

This is the config I'm trying:
maxdisks 36
0000 0000 0000 1111 1111 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000   -   esataportcfg
0000 0000 0011 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000   -   usbportcfg
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111   -   internalportcfg

Thanks for any help!

11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

just install u4 it contains all the other updates too

you can open the update pat with 7zip and habe a look, there are older files in it from the former updates

Hi,

thanks for your help.

Can I just click on download and install update from the control panel or do I have to manually download the pat file and apply by myself?

where can I find this file?

regards

Hey there,

i'm trying to migrate from quicknicks loader to juns loader 1.02b.

Under quicknicks loader, the system is booting and running (with the missfits of being on quicknicks old, not perfect loader and an old DSM Version).

I prepared a usb stick along Polanskimans tutorial for Juns 1.02b loader and it boots (can see that cia connected monitor). With the original extra.lzma i can find the NAS via Synology Assistant but it tells me "no disks found". With the alternative extra.lzma i cant find the NAS via find.synology.com or Synology Assistant (although it boots again).

I compared the two extra-lzma versions and found the only two *.ko files which are present in original and not in alternate extra.lzma are "ax88179-178.ko" and "ohci-hcd".

Were they forgotten in the alternate extra.lzma or is there a special cause why they are not there?

I assume i need just the aacraid.ko in juns 1.02b original extra.lzma (have an adaptec HBA 1000 SAS controller). Can it just be copied from alternate .lzma to 1.02b extra.lzma or is there more to adapt?

Here a description of my System:

Gigabyte Z-170 Board/Celeron

Onboard Realtek 8111 NIC and PCIe Intel 1000/Pro NIC (the onboard NIC is not found with both, alternate and extra.lzma, with quicknicks loader it works well)

Adaptec HBA 1000 16i SAS controller (not found on Juns original 1.02b, on alternate extra.lzma i can't test because i cant see the Diskstation on the network)

8 GB Ram

Thanks for any help in advance

1 hour ago, azn-tuan said:

Hi,

thanks for your help.

Can I just click on download and install update from the control panel or do I have to manually download the pat file and apply by myself?

it both possible, i prefer manual download first, the download somtimes takes more time then expected, also i prefer to have more control and i can check the checksum myself before updating

1 hour ago, azn-tuan said:

where can I find this file?

1 hour ago, Gubti said:

Hey there,

i'm trying to migrate from quicknicks loader to juns loader 1.02b.

Under quicknicks loader, the system is booting and running (with the missfits of being on quicknicks old, not perfect loader and an old DSM Version).

I prepared a usb stick along Polanskimans tutorial for Juns 1.02b loader and it boots (can see that cia connected monitor). With the original extra.lzma i can find the NAS via Synology Assistant but it tells me "no disks found". With the alternative extra.lzma i cant find the NAS via find.synology.com or Synology Assistant (although it boots again).

I compared the two extra-lzma versions and found the only two *.ko files which are present in original and not in alternate extra.lzma are "ax88179-178.ko" and "ohci-hcd".

Were they forgotten in the alternate extra.lzma or is there a special cause why they are not there?

not shure what extralzma you talking about but the one i did contain this files

appart from that the first is a usb gigabit adapter, the second is about usb in generel, not important for a normal pcie nic or pcie storagr driver

1 hour ago, Gubti said:

I assume i need just the aacraid.ko in juns 1.02b original extra.lzma (have an adaptec HBA 1000 SAS controller). Can it just be copied from alternate .lzma to 1.02b extra.lzma or is there more to adapt?

Here a description of my System:

Gigabyte Z-170 Board/Celeron

Onboard Realtek 8111 NIC and PCIe Intel 1000/Pro NIC (the onboard NIC is not found with both, alternate and extra.lzma, with quicknicks loader it works well)

thats strange at least the intel should work with both, the realtek can somtimes be a problem a there are two possible drivers, the on efrom the linux kernel and the one realtek provides (as source that can be compiled)

you can try this one, the network should work but your storage won't (i guess, see below)

1 hour ago, Gubti said:

Adaptec HBA 1000 16i SAS controller (not found on Juns original 1.02b, on alternate extra.lzma i can't test because i cant see the Diskstation on the network)

aacraid.ko is needed i guess, if not in extra.lzma no go

you can check what driver is used on the old system and have a look if that module is in the extra.lzma you are intent to use

1 hour ago, Gubti said:

8 GB Ram

Thanks for any help in advance

On 9/9/2017 at 7:17 AM, Polanskiman said:

Edit:

@infonator8: If that is the NIC you have then the module required is the atl2.ko module which was not in the default ramdisk of v1.01 so I doubt that you used the default ramdisk. Can you please boot your machine with your previous loader (v1.01) then ssh into it and issue the following command:

dmesg | grep "eth"

Revert with the output. If the module is alt2 then it is not included in v1.02b.

Ok, just rechecked it and the motherboard NIC is really Attansic L2 Fast Ethernet aka Atheros.

And I pulled out the pendrive to see which extra.lzma I was using and it's yours.

But I already tried using yours on 1.02b, and the result was the same... I guess I should compile my own drivers?

Output:

[    4.193800] usbcore: registered new interface driver ethub
[   52.885279] jme: JMicron JMC2XX ethernet driver version 1.0.8
[   53.052902] usbcore: registered new interface driver kaweth
[   58.944397] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   58.944433] atl2: eth0 NIC Link is Up<100 Mbps Full Duplex>
[   58.944442] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

Looks like I'm using wrong driver?

18 hours ago, crkrr said:

Hi Everyone!

What is the correct way to increase the maximum number of drives?
I am running korovi's ESXi template with an HBA passed through. Everything seems to work but I'm up against the disk limit and would like to increase. Tried asking around in the thread for the ovf, but it seems to be dead.

The issue is if I ssh in and edit the synoinfo.conf file and reboot it thinks I moved my drives to a new DiskStation; it pulls a new address from the DHCP server and forces me to reinstall after which data and packages (and settings mostly) are intact but the max number of drives in Storage Manager is reset to 12.

This is the config I'm trying:
maxdisks 36
0000 0000 0000 1111 1111 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000   -   esataportcfg
0000 0000 0011 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000   -   usbportcfg
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111   -   internalportcfg

Thanks for any help!

Did some more trials on the maxdisks change. I set up a new VM under ESXi 6.5 as follows:

- Downloaded 1.02b img file (ds3615), changed serial, copied the existing mac address to clipboard, didn't touch vid and pid

- Converted the img to vmdk with StarWind V2V

- Created new VM : new vmdk as boot drive + 8GB disk for testing, UEFI boot, OS: Linux other 64bit, hw version 13, set mac to manual and pasted the address from grub file

- Boot with ESXi option, install latest DSM, reboot

- Enable SSH change values in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

- Same issue on reboot, forces me to migrate after

Does anyone here have their maxdisks increased under ESXi? How did you do it?

6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

not shure what extralzma you talking about but the one i did contain this files

appart from that the first is a usb gigabit adapter, the second is about usb in generel, not important for a normal pcie nic or pcie storagr driver

aacraid.ko is needed i guess, if not in extra.lzma no go

you can check what driver is used on the old system and have a look if that module is in the extra.lzma you are intent to use

Thanks for the info IG-88!

I now used your extra.lzma for a test and i can see the Diskstation. But then i also get the "No disks found" error. (no aacraid.ko in your extra.lzma).

The one i was talking before is the one from Polanskiman from his first post in his install/migration tutorial:  - Customized extra.lzma ramdisk.

This one has the aacraid.ko in it.

So is it somehow possible to transfer that aacraid.ko from  one lzma to the other? (tried copy and paste from one lzma to the other via 7-zip to test: prohibited :( )

Thanks!

hi,

the files in that extra.lza are from 2016, it will be definatly be one for dsm 6.0.x not for 6.1.x it's never gone work for 6.1 because of different kernels

the process of repacking a extra.lzma is part of my howwto about compiling drivers/kernel modules but as your *,ko file is not compatile to 6.1 you dont have to try it

i'm about to make a new extra.lzma for 6.1.3 with the new sources of 6.1.3 i can try to build the module too but if the modules do not work because of kernel modifications from synology there is nothing i can do about it (see the end section of the link obove, what jun wrote)

15 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

i'm about to make a new extra.lzma for 6.1.3 with the new sources of 6.1.3 i can try to build the module too but if the modules do not work because of kernel modifications from synology there is nothing i can do about it (see the end section of the link obove, what jun wrote)

Thanks IG-88, your effort is much appreciated.

i will wait and test when your done.

I am on a working ds315x dsm 6.0.2-8451 update 8 (9 and up broke my eth0 ) since 2017/1/6 all are great,

except now I have a file system error once every boot, (reboot or ignore with reboot nothing happens again the message the health of disk is good and the smart too)

I want to update to the latest and I don't use any special driver or mod to the first loader and my card is:

nikkpap@TinyLittleNAS:~$ dmesg | grep "eth"
[    7.389373] usbcore: registered new interface driver ethub
[   27.604012] jme: JMicron JMC2XX ethernet driver version 1.0.8
[   29.347310] eth0: 0xffffc90011d90000, 00:11:32:2c:a7:85, IRQ 104
[   29.414090] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   32.436027] r8168: eth0: link up
[   32.436073] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
nikkpap@TinyLittleNAS:~$ 

Can I update the usb first correct the vid and pid and serial and then update DSM with the latest pat ? or i missing something else?

Thanks

ps: i am on this machine https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBarebone/GB-BXBT-2807-rev-10#sp

Ethernet Controller(s)
Realtek RTL8111G

11 hours ago, infonator8 said:

Ok, just rechecked it and the motherboard NIC is really Attansic L2 Fast Ethernet aka Atheros.

And I pulled out the pendrive to see which extra.lzma I was using and it's yours.

But I already tried using yours on 1.02b, and the result was the same... I guess I should compile my own drivers?

Output:

[    4.193800] usbcore: registered new interface driver ethub
[   52.885279] jme: JMicron JMC2XX ethernet driver version 1.0.8
[   53.052902] usbcore: registered new interface driver kaweth
[   58.944397] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   58.944433] atl2: eth0 NIC Link is Up<100 Mbps Full Duplex>
[   58.944442] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

Looks like I'm using wrong driver?

You CANNOT use the ramdisk I posted in the tutorial aimed at Jun's loader v1.01 with Jun's loader v1.02b. DSM 6.0 and DSM 6.1 have a different kernel version and modules compiled for DSM 6.0 will simply not work with DSM 6.1. That's why I asked if you used the default or customised ramdisk. If you used the customized ramdisk then you can't upgrade to DSM 6.1 unless you or someone compiles the atl2.ko module for DSM 6.1 and then add it to Jun's loader v1.02b. There is a guide in the forum on how to do that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nikkpap said:

I am on a working ds315x dsm 6.0.2-8451 update 8 (9 and up broke my eth0 ) since 2017/1/6 all are great,

except now I have a file system error once every boot, (reboot or ignore with reboot nothing happens again the message the health of disk is good and the smart too)

I want to update to the latest and I don't use any special driver or mod to the first loader and my card is:

nikkpap@TinyLittleNAS:~$ dmesg | grep "eth"
[    7.389373] usbcore: registered new interface driver ethub
[   27.604012] jme: JMicron JMC2XX ethernet driver version 1.0.8
[   29.347310] eth0: 0xffffc90011d90000, 00:11:32:2c:a7:85, IRQ 104
[   29.414090] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   32.436027] r8168: eth0: link up
[   32.436073] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
nikkpap@TinyLittleNAS:~$ 

Can I update the usb first correct the vid and pid and serial and then update DSM with the latest pat ? or i missing something else?

Thanks

ps: i am on this machine https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBarebone/GB-BXBT-2807-rev-10#sp

Ethernet Controller(s)
Realtek RTL8111G

Yes, you should be able to. But in the future please use proper code tags when posting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

You CANNOT use the ramdisk I posted in the tutorial aimed at Jun's loader v1.01 with Jun's loader v1.02b. DSM 6.0 and DSM 6.1 have a different kernel version and modules compiled for DSM 6.0 will simply not work with DSM 6.1. That's why I asked if you used the default or customised ramdisk. If you used the customized ramdisk then you can't upgrade to DSM 6.1 unless you or someone compiles the atl2.ko module for DSM 6.1 and then add it to Jun's loader v1.02b. There is a guide in the forum on how to do that.

Thank you a thousand times @Polanskiman! I compiled the driver and everything worked fine! :smile: Updated to 6.1!

Edited by infonator8
mispell
  • Like 1