XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

4 минуты назад, DeWebdude сказал:

Hello All,

I was able to successfully upgrade 5.x to 6.1, ran for a couple of days, then after a powerfail something strange happened, I could never see the IP in assistant and of course can't get to interface via web IP ( hard coded ).  Using Jun's 1.02B loader.

I then made a new thumb drive to test and still the same type of thing. I noticed on the switch which had LACP for 2 ports, that it said link down and showed both ports in standby member with no ports active.  Taking away LACP made no difference.

I even went as far as replacing the server hardware to the same exact type of server without success.

Strangely enough if I disconnect the 2 hard drives and boot up on the USB alone, it sees the box and of course requests drives.

I decided to put a blank drive in the system, installed and everything ran, I then put 1 of the former mirrored drives in and I was able to read everything.

I eventually got both drives in raid again and it was syncing.

When I bonded the cards for LACP 9000 MTU, guess what locked up again.

This was working fine in the 5.x version.

Am I the only one experiencing the issue with LACP which somehow trashes the box and doesn't allow it to boot?

Thanks!

I got the same situation, after i upgraded to 6.1.3-15152 from 6.1.2.

It worked fine day or two, but after nothing... empty "synology page" saying that there is no such page. and ssh also not working...

Hi korotkov,

How did you upgrade to those versions, from within the update application in synology?

I thought that was a bad thing?

Also, Jun's loader says "v1.02b (DS3615xs, DS3617xs and DS916+) is for DSM 6.1 - AMD not compatible - Latest version for DSM 6.1"

So I thought you couldn't go higher?

In respect to your issue, how did you resolve it, if at all?

Thanks

16 минут назад, DeWebdude сказал:

Hi korotkov,

How did you upgrade to those versions, from within the update application in synology?

Also, Jun's loader says "v1.02b (DS3615xs, DS3617xs and DS916+) is for DSM 6.1 - AMD not compatible - Latest version for DSM 6.1"

Thanks

I upgraded with the latest bootloader, but used to upload 6.1.3 manually, because it didn't showed at update section.

Unfortunately I didn't solve it yet. It even didn't connect to smb(yesterday evening it worked). 

Will continue trying after work.

Edited by korotkov

How did you upgrade to those current versions?

I believe if you end up stuck, using a NEW drive with nothing else in the box, build it as a new NAS, then reboot with your drive as a 2nd drive and you will at least see your data and may be able to repair what has been broken.

At this point I'm thinking I won't put LACP again for now.

2 hours ago, DeWebdude said:

Hi korotkov,

Thanks

In a PM I sent to @jun here is what I asked him:

On 7/5/2017 at 5:27 PM, Polanskiman said:

[...]

You said at some point that your v1.02a loader needed some 'extra work for AMD', but as it seems, some people are able to install DSM on AMD based machines which seems to me strange.

I and the community are confused about your statement and so I took precautionary measures and stated that v1.02 was not AMD compatible. Would you mind clarifying your statement?

[...]

And here is his answer:

On 7/6/2017 at 5:47 AM, jun said:

please see arch/x86/kernel/cpu/amd.c, it contains all kinds of errata workaround and feature detections. synology kernel does not have it compiled in. will amd cpu work without it? i dont know for sure, seems some works, some does not, and some requires workaround.

I'll leave that to people's jugement but to me it seems to mean that AMD might or might not work depending on the CPU architecture/model or else?

For those who want to try, @khile re-compiled the kernel in v1.02a loader and also added a bunch of modules. I recommend you read this thread first:

10 minutes ago, DeWebdude said:

Hello @Polanskiman,

My quesiton which your responded to above was not about the AMD processor, but the actual DSM version.

Of course above that is the whole LACP/9000MTU issue.

Thanks!

Indeed. I read too fast. Nonetheless the AMD issue has been around for a while so hopefully some might find it of interest. I have updated the OP accordingly.

7 hours ago, DerMoeJoe said:

I also can confirm, that with 6.1.2 lacp with 2 nics on 9000mtu was working fine for more than 1 month (with couple of reboots), but with 6.1.3 lacp doesnt work for New. I also tested mtu with 4000 & 1500 without success.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T585 mit Tapatalk

I'm scare to play with the MTU setting. What if the network stops working and I can't connect to my NAS?

2 hours ago, wenlez said:

I'm scare to play with the MTU setting. What if the network stops working and I can't connect to my NAS?

If you do this as I have now done 5 times in my testing yesterday, you will end up having to reinstall the Synology OS.

In my case it may be related to an older server I'm running on so it may be due to a compatibility issue.

My suggestion is the following:

1 - Backup your configuration.

2 - update switch settings for LACP and 9000 MTU

3 - Change your bond on the NAS

If it fails, do a reinstall, migrate, restore your configuration.

My data was luckily never in jeopardy, but of course you have to be careful at every step.

15 hours ago, DragsterPS said:

HI,

I've seen that there are 3 versions of the loader. Which one is the best one? What are the differences between them?

I am building a 6-bay XPenology with Intel QuickSync support (If it is possible)

Thank you very much.

Hello,

Please read the OP again carefully. It's all quite explicit. Latest version is v1.02b.

23 часа назад, DeWebdude сказал:

How did you upgrade to those current versions?

I believe if you end up stuck, using a NEW drive with nothing else in the box, build it as a new NAS, then reboot with your drive as a 2nd drive and you will at least see your data and may be able to repair what has been broken.

At this point I'm thinking I won't put LACP again for now.

I rebooted with force install option and reinstalled dsm with migration. nothing is lost and hope it will work without issues.

Только что, waspsoton сказал:

I have a strange issue. I have 6.13 installed but I can only get dsm to see 4 drives. There is 6 connected to the machines data ports. Any ideas? I don't think it's the motherboard as when I go into the bios I can see all the drives.

maybe you have separate sata controllers?

One works without issues, and the second one not supported. It's just my opinion.

Did it worked on earlier versions?

Ok ... Update to DSM 6.1.3-15152 on HP Gen8 

How to:
1.) Download the *.pat file from Synology Server
2.) Select Manual DSM-Update
3.) Select the downloaded *.pat File
4.) Update
5.) Waiting, waiting and waiting ... after 10 minutes (the clock in browser show) ... the login-window come back
6.) Login and Happy [emoji4]

From which version have you updated?
T.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, korotkov said:

One works without issues, and the second one not supported. It's just my opinion.

the motherboard is a asrock  A75M-HVS so from what I can tell there isn't two controllers. I am sure its the software as I can see all the drives in the bios.

Hello,

Please read the OP again carefully. It's all quite explicit. Latest version is v1.02b.

HI,

I know that the v1.02b is the latest version, but in this folder, there are 3 files (or versions): DS916+, DS3615xs and DS3617xs.

Which one is the best one?

I have an Intel S1200KP motherboard and a Xeon E3-1235 CPU with 16gb of ECC ram.(I want to use intel quicksyunc if it is possible).

Thank you.

Edited by DragsterPS

5 hours ago, korotkov said:

I have just had a look at the manual and I don't think it is. it states in the manal there is only one controller AMD A75 FCH