XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

6 hours ago, crookedview said:

I've not been able to figure this out either.  I have tried IDE and SATA disk types in ESXI 6, disk mode is independent non-persistent, but the DSM installer still wants to format my boot disk.

I have tried adding rmmod=ata_piix to the end of the loadlinux line in the grub config.

set common_args_3615='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 ihd_num=0 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_port_thaw=1'

I've bolded/italiced the bit you need, if you then can boot with the ESXi boot option it will then not show the IDE drives.

Hi All,

After serveral trials and researches I'm unable to update or create a new VM with this boot loader on my ESXI 6.5.:sad:

I have always the error failed to format the disk 35. I tried to use the vmx in DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01

Can anybody export and send me the vmx to check what is wrong?:-?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Kall

Hello there,

Not sure if this post is at the right place here, but anyway...

I'm currently running DS3615xs baremetal with DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 11 (bootloader V1.01)

My question is if i can safely update to DSM 6.0.3-8754  or  DSM 6.1.2-15132 ?

Thnx in advance !!

Grtz  Dennis

8 часов назад, Dennis сказал:

Hello there,

Not sure if this post is at the right place here, but anyway...

I'm currently running DS3615xs baremetal with DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 11 (bootloader V1.01)

My question is if i can safely update to DSM 6.0.3-8754  or  DSM 6.1.2-15132 ?

Thnx in advance !!

Grtz  Dennis

I'm updated without any troubles from 6.0.2 Update 9 to 6.1.2-15132 with bootloader 1.02b. You can see my baremetal configuration in my sign.

On 26. 6. 2017 at 11:21 AM, ordimans said:

+6.

I try to find another machine with same size and same functions... Nothing...
A solution is to buy a G8, and take a Xeon.

Personnaly, i put ESXI on my N40L and use the last loader.
But i cannot do everything ... (HA Cluster doesn't work...)

+7 for AMD support

I think there is still plenty of people having the older HP Gen7 with AMD as it is small and fast enough for NAS.

Using ESXI is possible, but I need to sacrifice one disk for VM Datastore instead of using it for data.

• Like 1

On 20.9.2016 at 4:57 PM, jun said:

unfortunately the mega.nz link stays empty. Former loader were easily to download form there.

OP History

I've recently annouce that my work on a kernel mode dynamic patcher in this post

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6213-xpenology-developers-contact-me-for-7393-kernel-src-code/?do=findComment&comment=54105

Now seems everything work out of box on VMware, so it's pretty close to an everybody useable loader,

But lots of hardwares drivers are missing, to support as much hardware as possible requires some extra work,

So I hope these is some help from the community to built & test drivers, make it usable for everyone.

AMD users have a look 3rd Post.

I've upload a tar archive of the boot partion, it should be untar in to a usb drive's EFI System Partition.

I prefers EFI bootloader, so I used grub2-efi here, but you can install your prefered ones, even none-EFI ones.

the zImage is a vanilla synology kernel, ramdisk.lzma is repacked to add some network drivers plus my patcher.

you need change sn/mac/vid/pid as usual before installation.

and to make installer happy, usb drive seem should have at least 2 partitions, one for boot, and one for recovery I guess.

I suggest to test it on VM first, then add hardware drivers for boot on bare metals.

Below is how my usb drive looks like

$ sudo gdisk -l /dev/sdc

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8

Partition table scan:

MBR: protective

BSD: not present

APM: not present

GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Disk /dev/sdc: 32784384 sectors, 15.6 GiB

Logical sector size: 512 bytes

Disk identifier (GUID): 4308A165-B0A6-4EC9-8B8E-9BEFB00BF33F

Partition table holds up to 128 entries

First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 32784350

Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries

Total free space is 4061 sectors (2.0 MiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name

1 2048 31457280 15.0 GiB 8300 Linux filesystem

2 31459328 31868927 200.0 MiB 8300 Linux filesystem

3 31868928 32784350 447.0 MiB EF00 EFI System

$ mount|grep tmp1

/dev/sdc3 on /mnt/tmp1 type vfat (rw)

$ ls -l /mnt/tmp1/

total 24

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 8192 Sep 18 17:19 EFI

drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 8192 Sep 20 21:16 grub

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 8192 Sep 20 21:15 image

$ lsusb |grep Flash

Bus 001 Device 010: ID 058f:6387 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Drive

link

https://mega.nz/#!c8kn3JAL!fy4a0sXuYfcv1Sx7adGbr2OS-guqMS4GLRH3TOFkNfY

Edit:

I add a few popular network & disk drivers, and create a boot image for VM.

Just add some scsi or sata disk, then boot, and follow normal installation process.

https://mega.nz/#!llU23QgA!oGaZQuQLe0fsx1tuGiSBoZ19DSfEQH5Aq3GJXfEjpHE

for esxi, pls use this link

https://mega.nz/#!Agt00ZDT!lN5blyZc4gMaj-mKt-xCxoTtle-7cLF0ui9bF6ZBnY0

Plus a usb boot image for bare metal in UEFI mode. pls consider it unstable, test at your own risk.

https://mega.nz/#!Z4UzWZxZ!hu9SZXpzJBTakHk7lO8pJfyHYb-YgGatI-Em9E3JXWI

EditEdit:

Many people reported that DSM ask you to reinstall forever.

It turn out that lack of a serial port caused the failure. That is really a surprise :eek: .

Anyway, I upload a new ramdisk to workaround the issue.

You should replace the image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma in the boot partiton with this new one.

Edited post

The esxi and bare metal image are updated, so manually replace the ramdisk is not required.

Alternatively, VM users may add a serial port as a workaround.

Bare metal users can enable the serial port in bios if your board has one.

remaining problem:

Login to your DSM via ssh/telnet, your will see these messages in kernel log,

this is another consequence of lack of a serial console.

[ 1360.575754] init: tty main process (13856) terminated with status 1
[ 1360.575823] init: tty main process ended, respawning
[ 1370.591635] init: tty main process (13881) terminated with status 1
[ 1370.591755] init: tty main process ended, respawning

To stop it from spam your log, you can stop/disable the tty serivce.

update:

above workaround is not enough for boards without serial port,

these unlucky guys should edit following serivce config manually, replace "console output" with "console none" after installation

root@test:~# grep -r "^console output$" /usr/ 2> /dev/null
/usr/share/init/syno_poweroff_task.conf:console output
/usr/share/init/burnin_loader.conf:console output
/usr/share/init/udevtrigger.conf:console output
/usr/share/init/bs-poweroff.conf:console output
/usr/share/init/udevd.conf:console output

Another issue:

I've found a hidden check related to console,

everyone should edit grub.cfg, replace console=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 with console=ttyS0,115200n8

You have to change sn/mac/vid/pid as usual before installation !

If you don't edit vid/pid in grub.conf you will get error 13 (file corruption) during setup.

How to see the value of my VID & PID stick

EDIT by Trantor (10-28-2016):

Updated loader by Arcao latest images (10-28-2016) : https://mega.nz/#F!Oc8TCLgD!IiullNuGs95RlelM9SKd5w

Original post : https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-602-loader-was-a-new-loader-for-latest-dsm/?do=findComment&comment=55903

Sources for dev:

quicknick : https://github.com/quiknick/7274-kernel

setsunakawa : http://setsunakawa.ddns.net/synology/dsm6/

10/29:

It's time to release a loader with a proper version number now.

Here is my loader v1.0

https://mega.nz/#F!18kB1BTB!1ft3N5Hnrcnqsneu0aQUkA

New features & fix:

Support bios & uefi boot & VMware & ESXI

Fix cmos reset issue( at least on bios mode VMware workstation)

most configurations can be done via grub command line now.

Remember last boot entry.

Autodetect synoboot partitions, not extensively tested. It is still recommended to set correct vid/pid.

AMD CPU support, not extensively tested, there are a few positive report on the forum.

Add grub menu for reinstallation.

Add grub menu to force installation when interrupted due to "Disks Disabled" message, not extensively tested

Automatically apply workaround for boards without serial port.

Fix SATA disk order remap, and allow to set SAS disk starting no, but disk order are still not deterministic between SAS disks.

Fix SAS disk naming, not extensively tested, only with one SAS2008 based HBA and synology provided mpt2sas driver.

Add ata_piix support, tested on VMware and it does not crash, only complain about "Read current link speed fail", so I

assume it works :smile:, this driver requires a bit of patching to the kernel, so I include it in the package.

Integrate up-to-date network drivers compiled by Arcao and Trantor.

Known issue:

When runing on a slow single core machine, there is a race condition causes the patcher loading too late.

the most obvious sign is console not working properly. I don't expected this to happen normally,

the only example is a VM on my laptop when running on battery. If anyone believes have this issue,

please send me a message.

Some ethernet drivers crash when set MTU above about 4096(Jumbo frame), I've not identified the culprit yet.

How to install:

find the vid/pid of your usb drive

Burn the image to the drive, optionally edit grub.cfg to set vid/pid and boot entry, OR

connect monitor/keyboard/serial console to your Box.

Press C during Grub boot menu to enter command line

vid 0xXXXX
pid 0xYYYY

to configure pid and vid ("pid" and "vid" are command, and "XXXX", "YYYY" are you usb drive's vid,pid)

(There are a few other options can be config this way, you can read grub.cfg to know more detail.)

Press Esc to go back to boot menu

Select baremeta/baremetal AMD entry, press enter to boot.

If your encounter the "disk port disabled" error during installation, try the force install menu entry.

if both option does not work, you have to fallback to SataPortMap method,

type this line in grub command line, replace XX with appropriate value.

append SataPortMap=XX

11/2:

as I promised, here is v1.01, download link is the same as v1.0

This update contains nothing fancy, mainly for inner peace,

Plus, I revert megaraid_sas mpt3sas to old version.

It's not shining new now, the title is obsolete

Hide

loader.png

Hi,

I am trying to install 1.02b on ESXi 6.5 and the VM failed to get IP address from the DHCP server (which is my router). So I can't find the Xpenology when I search on find.synology.com. 

I already tried DS916 and DS3615 img file and both have the same issue.

How to troubleshot this issue?  BTW, do I need to edit the grub file for MAC address and sn, pid, vid?

Edited by dynaguy

23 hours ago, Qwertyz said:

+7 for AMD support

I think there is still plenty of people having the older HP Gen7 with AMD as it is small and fast enough for NAS.

Using ESXI is possible, but I need to sacrifice one disk for VM Datastore instead of using it for data.

What seams to be a problem with 1.02b and AMD?

I have tried yesterday upgrade (from DSM 5.2) and clean install on older box with AMD E-350 with Realtek NIC and it worked both ways. Volumes deleted and created, PM and WOL work too once I've used real MAC address. It reports i3 CPU as well  known, but otherwise everything looks normal. I have also HP N54L with 6.02 running but not sure if it safe to upgrade yet.

Edited by XPEH
correction

On 6/28/2017 at 8:06 AM, Qwertyz said:

+7 for AMD support

+8 for AMD support

52 minutes ago, XPEH said:

I have tried yesterday upgrade (from DSM 5.2) and clean install on older box with AMD E-350 with Realtek NIC and it worked both ways. Volumes deleted and created, PM and WOL work too once I've used real MAC address. It reports i3 CPU as well  known, but otherwise everything looks normal. I have also HP N54L with 6.02 running but not sure if it safe to upgrade yet.

The problem for my amd system was that I couldn´t utilitize all of my ram. 30% was always marked as "not usable" by the system. Really annoying. So I switched to an Intel CPU and the amd system is laying aroun unused. I would love to have it as a fallback system.

59 minutes ago, XPEH said:

The problem with my N54L is that if I use any newer loader then 1.01 (e.g. 1.02b) then the box is not visible in network. Cannot see it using web not using Synology Assistant. And the problem of 1.01 is that is supports only DSM 6.0.2

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Qwertyz said:

The problem with my N54L is that if I use any newer loader then 1.01 (e.g. 1.02b) then the box is not visible in network. Cannot see it using web not using Synology Assistant. And the problem of 1.01 is that is supports only DSM 6.0.2

I am on intel, need to ask will this be an issue for me as well?