XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

4 hours ago, john_matrix said:

You can flash your USB key to 1.02b the same way you had done with 1.02a ;)

Don't forget to change your serial and mac address in the grub.conf

I understand that will be the way for bare metal installation. I was referring to changing to a loader if my installation was as VM in ESXI 6

I am already on the latest 6.1.1 but I wish to update to the latest 1.02b loader , to be ready for future synology updates

Much thanks for help on changing loader for an esxi installation. :smile:

Edited by epicurean

What to upgrade to the my version of synology without blowing my system up :).  Currently running dsm DSM 6.0.2-
8451 with Jun 1.01 bootloader.  what would be my safest upgrade path?

With the below hardware does it make sense to upgrade to the ds3617xs? or should i stay with ds3615xs?

Hardware
16 GB Ram
2x 3TB WD Red drives
Intel core I7
Mobo: ASRock H97M-ITX/ac
    Intel 97 Chipset
    Qualcomm Atheros AR8171 Lan

Thanks.

I couldn't install the new bootloader. I have a small test-system (MSI Z97i and i3). Following the instructions I get this:

After the "Screen will stop updating shortly...." message I have this:

"Trying to terminate EFI services again" and nothing happens

What did I do wrong?

Edited by Technic
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Haris2887 said:

Hello All.

I am having trouble ISCSI drives being recognised in ESXi 6.x.

• I am trying to do RMD mapping for 3 x 2TB Disks that I have as local Disks on an ESXI host . (I don't have a raid card so no pass-through vt-d option)

Creating an RDM Mapping for Local Disk

1.png

vmkfstools -r /vmfs/devices/disks/vml.0100000000202020202057442d574d43333030343931373636574443205744 /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/RDMRed3.vmdk 

2.png

Then to see what the created Vmdk looks like 

3.png

Nest I just add the VMDk to the esxi VM

4.png

5.png

6.png

power On the Vm , all Good

7.png

But disks do not show in DSM.

8.png

long story short, I am not sure what else to do , this is a fresh clean install of the latest DMS using the latest loader.

I suspect that SCSI disk are not supported and I must use SATA, can anyone confirm this form me please .

HUm, strange, i did that on 6.5 and no problem...

Hello,

I running running dsm DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11 with Jun 1.01 bootloader.

Is there a way without data lost to upgrade to a higher version or to a new bootloader and than to a higher version?

what would be safe to upgrade?

Thanks.

Regards,

Michel 

9 hours ago, michel30 said:

Hello,

I running running dsm DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11 with Jun 1.01 bootloader.

Is there a way without data lost to upgrade to a higher version or to a new bootloader and than to a higher version?

what would be safe to upgrade?

Thanks.

Regards,

Michel 

That´s what I did last night.

Just for your information I´m running a baremetal Intel machine.

My starting point was DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 4 with Jun 1.02a2 bootloader for ds3617xs.

I placed the new bootloader 1.02b onto my current usb stick, edited the grub.cfg and plugged it back in without updating DSM.

It booted and asked my to "recover" my old installation. This step took 1 or 2 seconds, it then rebooted itself.

DSM came back up just fine. I then went on to upgrade DSM to the latest version 6.1.2-15132. Rebooted and it´s now running peacefully since then.

Just to give you guys some feedback.

Big thanks to Jun for his amazing loader :-) 

Greetz,

Desi

Edited by Designator
Little correction on version numbers

On 2017-6-20 at 3:24 PM, carlchan said:

Dear

I am using v1.02b 3615xs, in esxi 5.5, I already amend the sn and mac,

Before, it would not show the following error, and all video could view in ds video and ds photo.

"  System failed to convert video [/volume1/photo/.../2016-12-24 chung wedding/20161224 (9).MTS] to mpeg4  "

"  System failed to convert video [/volume1/photo/.../2016-12-24 chung wedding/20161224 (9).MTS] to mpeg4  "

... etc.,

After upgrade to 6.x.x, all video could not be covert, 

Is it due to sn/mac address problem?

Thanks!

: >

Anyone could help?

4 hours ago, Designator said:

My starting point was DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 4 with Jun 1.02a2 bootloader for ds3617xs.

I placed the new bootloader 1.02b onto my current usb stick, edited the grub.cfg and plugged it back in without updating DSM.

It booted and asked my to "recover" my old installation. This step took 1 or 2 seconds, it then rebooted itself.

DSM came back up just fine. I then went on to upgrade DSM to the latest version 6.1.2-15132. Rebooted and it´s now running peacefully since then.

Greetz,

Desi

I just did this on my ESXi 6.0 install which previously failed and now works. Well done again Jun.

I simply uploaded the new loader to the datastore overwriting the existing loader, started the VM, recovered then updated.

1 hour ago, epicurean said:

Sorry for my noobieness, but how exactly do you do that?

upload the new loader with the same filename to the datastore overwriting the existing loader.

If you want to use a different filename you can download the boot vmdk and edit it e.g. in Notepad++/vim/nano

Just reporting that jun's 1.02b loader and the latest 3617xs pat works fine for me on bare metal, a GA X58A-UD3R mobo with 6GB RAM and an i7-930 CPU. 

Wrote the image to the stick, changed the vid/pid/sn/MAC (sn using sn generator, MAC using standard Syno first 8 and random last 4) and changed sataportmap to 6, booted, find.synology.com, profit. Thanks for the hard work!

anyone know why system not loading when i'm adding new disk in esxi? I see standard boot message from 1.02b loader but syno assistant can't find my box. When i remove that new disk system loading fine. Is there a way to see some debug logging when loading?

18 hours ago, Designator said:

Greetz,

Desi

Is it worth upgrading to the ds3617xs?

I got the folloeing hardware

Hardware
16 GB Ram
2x 3TB WD Red drives
Intel core I7
Mobo: ASRock H97M-ITX/ac
    Intel 97 Chipset
    Qualcomm Atheros AR8171 Lan

currently running dsm 6.02-8451

19 hours ago, Designator said:

Greetz,

Desi

But he asked for an update to the latest, from DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11, without data loss. That's not going to happen, as they changed the file system.

On 2017-6-18 at 10:13 AM, Bob the Builder said:

you can use this vmdk, which point to the synoboot.img. Put both in the datastore folder of your VM.

I had a crashed/degraded RaiD after bootup on ESX6. One Disk was unlinked from Raidgroup and marked as unused. Had to do a repair over night.

I do not think it belongs to the loader.

Edited by sagrotan