XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

"Neo_Reloaded"@Netstorm, was it a migration from 6.0.2? What steps did you follow?

@Neo_Reloaded

Yes it was a migration from 6.0.2 to 6.1 + login to DSM, sudo -su as root user, execute "cp lib/modules/update/* lib/modules/"

Thanks for your time and answer

@Neo_Reloaded

Yes it was a migration from 6.0.2 to 6.1 + login to DSM, sudo -su as root user, execute "cp lib/modules/update/* lib/modules/"

Thanks for your time and answer

What a great hint to copy those modules, thanks!

Missing eth0 port/network connectivity was driving me crazy after updating from DSM 6.0.2 to 6.1.1 using Juns loader 1.02a

This did the final trick to get my network back.

Has anyone's Quickconnect and DDNS services stopped working? I checked the settings and now when I click on "Log in to Synology account" a message box pops up and says "Oops, an unknown error has occured". I have had this working for months without issue and I havn't changed/updated anything since 6.0.2u9. Have they stopped us all? Do I need a new MAC/SN combo? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

(I'm running on ESXi with the older stable loader)

Thanks

not working anymore, you need to have a legit serial (new format) and mac.

Has anyone's Quickconnect and DDNS services stopped working? I checked the settings and now when I click on "Log in to Synology account" a message box pops up and says "Oops, an unknown error has occured". I have had this working for months without issue and I havn't changed/updated anything since 6.0.2u9. Have they stopped us all? Do I need a new MAC/SN combo? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

(I'm running on ESXi with the older stable loader)

Thanks

Yep exactly what you said. Mine used to work perfectly, I guess they caught onto our hacking ways!

It's not a deal breaker for me though, you can easily setup a dynamic dns on a third party router.

not working anymore, you need to have a legit serial (new format) and mac.

Reminder to all:

For those who are not yet aware, the use of QuickConnect is an abuse of Synology services and servers. Using QuickConnect only brings bad reputation to this project. You are kindly advised to used a customs DDNS which will have the same function as QuickConnect. Any post inciting in using QuickConnect will be deleted without warning.

Any experience with 6.1.1 u2 on AMD E350-M1 ? I have DSM5 running on that system. I would like to reinstall to the latest DSM6.

Mine is working smooth for a week on AMD E350-M1-I: bare metal installation with 6.1.1 (downloaded directly from synology) + juno's 1.02a DS3615xs.

Had some troubles with ethernet after the update done keeping DSM settings.

Solved selecting the force install option and doing a clean install (you will lose settings of DMS but not data).

Update 2 installed by DSM web interface.

Hello Polanskiman,

I read your tutorial on installing. I'm been trying to get the loader 1.02a running on my asrock q1900-itx motherboard. In your tutorial you mention that if the xpenology is not found properly the NIC drivers aren't included in the ram. Could you be so kind to have a look if the drivers for a Realtek RTL8111GR are in there.

If not can they be included.

Thank you very much in advance

Cheers

Burner1977

Polanskiman wrote:

Not sure what you mean about google translate. I wrote in English.

I would recommend you use loader v1.02a for DS3615xs. If you really want to use DS3617xs then use v1.02a2. It's clarified in the OP.

I've seen you've written in English, but I'm not familiar with English

Reminder to all:

For those who are not yet aware, the use of QuickConnect is an abuse of Synology services and servers. Using QuickConnect only brings bad reputation to this project. You are kindly advised to used a customs DDNS which will have the same function as QuickConnect. Any post inciting in using QuickConnect will be deleted without warning.

You are right, but QC - like a single easy way accsess to storage when ISP do not give white dynamic IP.

QC = tunnel to storage that do not matter about your IP / ISP / Network / Etc problems.

If someone know services or easy way to acsses to storage (without buying wps, wds, hostings) and gives QC functional - pm me please :shock:

Reminder to all:

You are right, but QC - like a single easy way accsess to storage when ISP do not give white dynamic IP.

QC = tunnel to storage that do not matter about your IP / ISP / Network / Etc problems.

If someone know services or easy way to acsses to storage (without buying wps, wds, hostings) and gives QC functional - pm me please :shock:

Im not sure this is exactly what you need but good start i think:

https://dnstunnel.de/

Im not sure this is exactly what you need but good start i think:

You can't do tunnel without external server with white IP :lol:

Maybe, i dont know. Im using to tunnel from PS's with windows meshcentral.com. There is also client for linux but i never tried it.

I'm desperately trying to install DSM 6.1 either with DS3615xs or preferably DS3617xs, but nothing works. I can't detect find it once I select Baremetal install (or force install). Is it because my NIC is not supported?

Anyone has a step by step tutorial for Baremetal DSM 6.1 ideally DS3617xs?

I'm desperately trying to install DSM 6.1 either with DS3615xs or preferably DS3617xs, but nothing works. I can't detect find it once I select Baremetal install (or force install). Is it because my NIC is not supported?

I have the EXACT same motherboard and CPU as you and mine works without any issues on 1.0.2a2, make sure your BIOS is up-to-date.

One thing I've discovered is that the NIC inside this motherboard doesn't like to be spoofed, so ensure you use your real MAC address for the loader. If you're using a fake MAC address then fully power off and unplug your system for 5 mins; I've noticed the spoofed MAC address is persistent as long as the system is connected to the wall.

Also don't select any of the options within the loader, just boot straight to the defaults and you'll be able to find it.

One more quirk is that the Synology Finder software (including the website version) is unreliable with Xpenology, so I'd use an IP scanner to figure out what your IP address is. Better yet, reserve a Mac address :smile:

I have the EXACT same motherboard and CPU as you and mine works without any issues on 1.0.2a2, make sure your BIOS is up-to-date.

One thing I've discovered is that the NIC inside this motherboard doesn't like to be spoofed, so ensure you use your real MAC address for the loader. If you're using a fake MAC address then fully power off and unplug your system for 5 mins; I've noticed the spoofed MAC address is persistent as long as the system is connected to the wall.

Also don't select any of the options within the loader, just boot straight to the defaults and you'll be able to find it.

One more quirk is that the Synology Finder software (including the website version) is unreliable with Xpenology, so I'd use an IP scanner to figure out what your IP address is. Better yet, reserve a Mac address :smile:

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I'm new to all this, so there are a few things I don't understand right away.

1. My BIOS is up to date.

2. NIC doesn't like to be spoofed? What does it mean?

3. How can I find the real MAC address of my NIC to modify grub.cfg (I thought it wasn't mandatory)

4. What are you using? DS3615xs or DS3617xs?

Thanks again for your help! :smile:

2. Spoofing is another word for faking, if you don't put in your real MAC address into grub.cfg, your network card is having to fake its identity in simple terms.

3. When you setup the Xpenology bootloader you'll see the following entry within grub.cfg:

set mac1=0011322CA603

You'll want to figure out what your NIC's real MAC address is, this can be done a number of ways but the easiest (assuming you know what your IP address is) to run "arp -a" from command prompt in Windows. You need to put the physical address you see into the variable above without the formatting so rather than 00:11:32:2C:A6:03 it needs to be 0011322CA603.

As Jun mentioned, it's not mandatory to change the MAC address but from my own testing I find using your real MAC address works best.

4. I'm using DS3617xs, I've not tried the other.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that before you try and figure out your MAC address, it's essential that you unplug your system from power completely and leave it off for up to 5 mins. Do not boot back into the loader without changing the MAC address entry otherwise you'll get the spoofed MAC address rather than your real one.

2. Spoofing is another word for faking, if you don't put in your real MAC address into grub.cfg, your network card is having to fake its identity in simple terms.

3. When you setup the Xpenology bootloader you'll see the following entry within grub.cfg:

set mac1=0011322CA603

You'll want to figure out what your NIC's real MAC address is, this can be done a number of ways but the easiest (assuming you know what your IP address is) to run "arp -a" from command prompt in Windows. You need to put the physical address you see into the variable above without the formatting so rather than 00:11:32:2C:A6:03 it needs to be 0011322CA603.

As Jun mentioned, it's not mandatory to change the MAC address but from my own testing I find using your real MAC address works best.

4. I'm using DS3617xs, I've not tried the other.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that before you try and figure out your MAC address, it's essential that you unplug your system from power completely and leave it off for up to 5 mins. Do not boot back into the loader without changing the MAC address entry otherwise you'll get the spoofed MAC address rather than your real one.

Thats awesome!!!! thanks a lot filippo333, it finally worked!

Now I want to enable SSH, I remember I had to edit synoinfo.conf with either Vi or Nano. I used Nano in the past but I can't find the package source for it. Anyone can help?

Thanks guys!

Good to hear! :smile:

It's pretty easy to enable SSH, just do it through the GUI in DSM. You should login using admin rather than root (as root doesn't work OOTB with DSM), you can still use sudo with your regular DSM admin password.

Sorry I meant SHR not SSH.

I remember we had to install a add a package source to install Nano to edit synoinfo.conf. If I remember correctly, that was the right source http://packages.synocommunity.com. Unfortunately, I can't find Nano or VI anywhere. I also enabled all publishers... I added a bunch of sources and none of them add Nano or VI. Also, most of them don't add any package...

Is it because Nano and Vi don't work with 6.1?

Sorry I meant SHR not SSH.

I remember we had to install a add a package source to install Nano to edit synoinfo.conf. If I remember correctly, that was the right source http://packages.synocommunity.com. Unfortunately, I can't find Nano or VI anywhere. I also enabled all publishers... I added a bunch of sources and none of them add Nano or VI. Also, most of them don't add any package...

Is it because Nano and Vi don't work with 6.1?

VI is part of DSM, dont need to be installed. There is not many packages yet since they are not prepared for DSM 6.1.

FINALLY!!! after lots of research, I found Nano compatible with DSM 6.1.1. You can manually install it, here is the link to download it!

http://www.jadahl.com/synology6.1/packages/nano_broadwell-6.1_2.7.5-2.spk

I also found other links, but these didn't work. I'm posting it just in case it serves anyone...

http://www.jadahl.com/synology6.1/packages/nano_alpine4k-6.1_2.7.5-2.spk

http://www.jadahl.com/synology6.1/packages/nano_x86-6.1_2.7.5-2.spk

http://www.jadahl.com/synology6.1/packages/nano_monaco-6.1_2.7.5-2.spk

Reminder to all:

Create a custom DDNS, configure it in DSM and then configure your firewall(s) accordingly. That's all that needs to be done and you will be able to access your box from outside your home network.