XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

I've hit the same problem with DSM 6.0.3 update.

I am on Jun's 1.01 loader and have 4HDD Raid 5 in my rig.

I don't want to loose my personal data in there, so wondering what options are there available for me?

I have re-flashed my usb with fresh loader and tried migration and "fresh system install" (with all files safe).

No luck, and my rig just boots, starts the drives and apparently works on the hard drives as I can hear them, but no way to login via web nor ssh. Anyway ssh lost after "fresh system install" as it got rid of my all settings.

Shall I try to update to 6.1, as I have a feeling there is something still on the drives that indicate 6.0.3 installed and doesn't allow to install 6.0.2 back properly.

Any hints?

Take a look at this post.This is exactly how I was able to fix it without any personal data loss. However, apps and settings WILL go bye bye: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=2770#p100378

My personal recommendation would be not to go beyond 6.0.2 (update 11) or even 6.1 (update 2) which should be fine in principle as many people seem to have been using 6.1 for close to two months now.

Thank you for the reply.

So if I understand the translation of "google translate", the most recent and stable version you suggest is version 6.1, which corresponds to the DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha.zip file, is it correct?

Thanks again for the help.

Not sure what you mean about google translate. I wrote in English.

I would recommend you use loader v1.02a for DS3615xs. If you really want to use DS3617xs then use v1.02a2. It's clarified in the OP.

I've hit the same problem with DSM 6.0.3 update.

I am on Jun's 1.01 loader and have 4HDD Raid 5 in my rig.

I don't want to loose my personal data in there, so wondering what options are there available for me?

I have re-flashed my usb with fresh loader and tried migration and "fresh system install" (with all files safe).

No luck, and my rig just boots, starts the drives and apparently works on the hard drives as I can hear them, but no way to login via web nor ssh. Anyway ssh lost after "fresh system install" as it got rid of my all settings.

Shall I try to update to 6.1, as I have a feeling there is something still on the drives that indicate 6.0.3 installed and doesn't allow to install 6.0.2 back properly.

Any hints?

Take a look at this post.This is exactly how I was able to fix it without any personal data loss. However, apps and settings WILL go bye bye: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=2770#p100378

The current loaders will not work with DSM 6.0.3

You could try this >>> http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30805

Can you both please use https://pastebin.com to paste all the logs and post the link here. I would like to see the entirety of dmesg output.

Here is pastebin link to the log for my test system (Dell Optiplex 755 with 3HD)

https://pastebin.com/beGWjFbv

[   28.354917] usbnet: Unknown symbol mii_ethtool_sset (err 0)
[   28.354930] usbnet: Unknown symbol mii_link_ok (err 0)
[   28.354962] usbnet: Unknown symbol mii_nway_restart (err 0)
[   28.354995] usbnet: Unknown symbol mii_ethtool_gset (err 0)

Here is the log of my working system (Asus MB 10HD)

https://pastebin.com/pfCrK82k

[   49.623889] usbnet: Unknown symbol mii_ethtool_sset (err 0)
[   49.623921] usbnet: Unknown symbol mii_link_ok (err 0)
[   49.623998] usbnet: Unknown symbol mii_nway_restart (err 0)
[   49.624089] usbnet: Unknown symbol mii_ethtool_gset (err 0)

usbnet module is not loading due to changes in the DSM 6.1.1 kernel. This wont be a major issue as anyway most people don't use USB-to-network adapters.

The above will not happen with a clean install of 6.1.1

Share with you guys my "working" upgrade approach from 6.0.2 to 6.1,

Environment:

Hardware: HP Gen8

Upgrade procedure:

0) Download Jun loader 1.02a2 (DS3617xs)

1) Shutdown the VM, delete original IDE boot disk from setting (backup to somewhere if you like)

2) Copy synoboot (vmdk + img) to ESXi VM folder, add it as a new IDE drive (IDE 0:0)

3) Boot the VM, use assistant to find IP, install official pat

4) Wait for VM to boot up, access the vm console via telnet

(At this point seems some drivers are not being update with the DSM update script, nic won't be able to load in OS)

5) login to DSM, sudo -s as root user, execute "cp /lib/modules/update/* /lib/modules/"

6) reboot and done

I use this procedure to upgrade two of my DSM VM from 6.0.2 to 6.1.1.1, after upgrade the system runs for a week without issue.

DS916+ image doesn't contain r8169.ko(Realtek Gigabyte NIC ) in its extra.lzma, so we can't find it. If you extract the extra.lzma you'll find DS916+ image lacks many kernel modules compared with DS3615xs image.

I downloaded jun's script and try to compile kernel source by myself, but failed to bootup.

tested -on an Asrock N3700 itx- , every time in Force Install**

- 1.02a2 / 6.1/ 3617xs -> after 24h more or less webpage stop working at all

- 1.02a / 6.1/ 3617xs -> after 24h more or less Volumes disapper

- 1.01 / 6.02/ 3615xs -> some problem about disks never spin down***

now i'm trying to use 916p, but i can't find a way at all:

- 1.01 / 6.02/ 916p doesn't exist ..... Jun planned to release this at some point??

- 1.02a / 6.1/ 916p and 1.02a2 / 6.1/ 916p ....bootloader for 916 lacks "force install" option so the machine is unreachable from Synology assitant...

**every time Synology assistant at the end says "not complete, timeout error... but DSM started as well

*** about this point, anybody know if each Volume created on DSM could go in sleep mode independently or usually they spin up&down all together?

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have read it. I've seen you have erased first 2 partitions of each drive? I've seen somewhere on the forum, that only first partition of each drive have to be erased and formatted as ext4.

Edited by Guest

The current loaders will not work with DSM 6.0.3

You could try this >>> http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30805

Thanks for your reply. I've seen your post warning people about 6.0.3 posted around 12 hours after it happened to me.

This tutorial is great and it will be helpfull anyway.

I was considering "escape forward" meaning migrating to DSM 6.1 and flashing new Jun's loader as I believe all relates to Synology's "no downgrade possible" but not sure if that would work with xpenology, so will take this chance and use this tutorial and will delete first partitions of all hdds.

Thanks again.

I have successfully upgraded from 6.1-15047 Update 2 to 6.1.1-15101 Update 1 using DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha. First, I tried to do a strait upgrade via GUI, it failed. I then rebooted manually and used force install. I was greeted with DSM migration screen, I clicked on Synology's Download Center to download and install the newest version of DSM. https://www.synology.com/_images/tutori ... ard_91.png the system performed upgrade and rebooted fine. After reboot I performed another update from 6.1.1-15101 to 6.1.1-15101 Update 1 via GUI. System is working fine so far.

Edited by Guest

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have read it. I've seen you have erased first 2 partitions of each drive? I've seen somewhere on the forum, that only first partition of each drive have to be erased and formatted as ext4.

As i mentioned some time ago, most likely during upgrade dsm is creating 2nd system partition as a backup, thats why you have 2 similar partitions. One is with old version and one is with new version. Thats why if you brick system during upgrade you have to delete both system partitions (about 2 GB each).

OFFTOPIC

Maybe its time to change topic name, cause its about DSM 6.0.2 - DSM 6.1.1

I might be the second one. I am using loader v1.02a (3615xs) with the latest DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 1 on 2 different bare metal system. One is working system and other is test system. Working system has ASUS MB, older i7, 12GB RAM, 10 HD, bond network. The test machine is an older DELL Optiplex 755 with 8GB RAM and 3HD.

I did an upgrade from 6.1 to 6.1.1 ... Not a fresh install.

Here is the beginning as I am limited by character max number.

Can you both please use https://pastebin.com to paste all the logs and post the link here. I would like to see the entirety of dmesg output.

Here is mine : https://pastebin.com/EXFcVMZh

As i mentioned some time ago, most likely during upgrade dsm is creating 2nd system partition as a backup, thats why you have 2 similar partitions. One is with old version and one is with new version. Thats why if you brick system during upgrade you have to delete both system partitions (about 2 GB each).

First partition is for the system, second is for swap.

cat /proc/swaps

Filename Type Size Used Priority

/dev/md1 partition 2097084 0 -1

/dev/zram0 partition 616444 270884 1

/dev/zram1 partition 616444 271212 1

hi guys and thx for your job,

but i have problem with installation..

the error when install DSM is Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. 13

i change pid and vid on grub.cfg with my usb pid vid

help me...

thx to all :roll:

I have successfully upgraded from 6.1-15047 Update 2 to 6.1.1-15101 Update 1 using DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha. First, I tried to do a strait upgrade via GUI, it failed. I then rebooted manually and used force install. I was greeted with DSM migration screen, I clicked on Synology's Download Center to download and install the newest version of DSM. https://www.synology.com/_images/tutori ... ard_91.png the system performed upgrade and rebooted fine. After reboot I performed another update from 6.1.1-15101 to 6.1.1-15101 Update 1 via GUI. System is working fine so far.

That worked for me also. Upgrade via the GUI failed and then did force install but I had to use the NO migration option. Only keep files. During migration something seems to interfere after which DSM doesn't come back.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

hi guys and thx for your job,

but i have problem with installation..

the error when install DSM is Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. 13

i change pid and vid on grub.cfg with my usb pid vid

help me...

thx to all :roll:

Did you already have an existing DSM install? This happened to me and the only fix was to use the original usb drive that i'd used for the already running DSM even though the non-working USB was fine.

when I try that I get

failed to format disk (35)

5) login to DSM, sudo -s as root user, execute "cp /lib/modules/update/* /lib/modules/"

Why are you copying modules to the main module directory? Those updated modules are in principale loaded at boot.

w/o this step some drivers seems to failed to load in my dsm, e.g. NIC driver,

I assume this could be caused by the dirty upgrade I did instead of clean installation, however this approach just works, for both 6.0 to 6.1 and 6.1 to 6.1.1 :smile:

Ok, trying all day with the DS3617xs images, and I keep getting the "Failed to install the file. The files is probably corrupted. (13)" message.

I've tried multiple usb keys, same results.

But using the DS3615xs image (v1.02a) it installs fine using the DSM_DS3615xs_15101 pat file.

Writing out the DS3617xs image to the same key and making the same changes to grub.cfg always fails to install.

System is a intel S1200KP server board, xeon 1225 cpu with 16gb ram and an HP HP 412648-B21 dual gig ethernet card.

Fresh install, no data on system. Playing with 2 2tb drives.