XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Thanks Trantor for V1.02alpha.

I can confirm it is working bare metal on ASUS C60M1-I with AMD Fusion APU C-60. Network card is Realtek 8111F.

System is running with DSM 6.1-15047-1 Raid1 Btrfs. I was able to perform the automatic update 1 and rebooted without issue afterwards.

Prior to this I was running Version: 6.0.2-8451-8 on this same system without issue.

6.1 worked on AMD, see my signature.

Jun, would you mind commenting on this? I have seen several people saying that v1.02a is working with AMD based CPU hardware. How is this possible? Thanks.

I attempted to inject firmware into image via OFSMount with no success.

sorry i'm just guessing, its what i would try so ....

looking further into the extra.lzma, there is /etc/rc.modules

EXTRA_FIRMWARES="bnx2/bnx2-rv2p-09ax-6.0.17.fw bnx2/bnx2-rv2p-09-6.0.17.fw bnx2/bnx2-rv2p-06-6.0.15.fw tigon/tg3_tso5.bin tigon/tg3_tso.bin tigon/tg3.bin"

so looks like the firmware file has to be mentioned in that file to work?

I am not sure if jun compiled or just tossed a kernel ID. Guessing its not compiled for 3.10

Tossed a kernel ID? Not sure what that is supposed to mean but if modules were not compiled against the proper source code they would simply not work. Do not confuse modules and firmware.

All modules within the v1.02a (or v1.02a2) loaders are compiled against DSM 6.1 source code and made to work with linux kernel 3.10.102. There is no other way around. In your case, the firmware seems to be missing. I checked the extra ramdisk and it is not there. The rc.modules also needs to be updated with the added firmware or whatever module you add in the ramdisk else it wont be loaded during kernel boot. I have made the necessary changes in the ramdisk. Let me know if it works (or not). I can't test it myself since I do not have that NIC.

https://mega.nz/#!OQplzISJ!L6HzXJq2ZwX- ... k99jYVwKBc

note to myself: This ramdisk only contains the additional firmware bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw on top of the default ones added by Jun. Nothing else.

The original DSM 6.0 loader/modules was compiled with beta source code. Are you saying the DSm 6.1 loader (1.02a and such) was compiled with the released source code? if I remember correctly, the loader was available before the source code was.

thanks

The original DSM 6.0 loader/modules was compiled with beta source code. Are you saying the DSm 6.1 loader (1.02a and such) was compiled with the released source code? if I remember correctly, the loader was available before the source code was.

thanks

Jun released v1.02a 3 weeks prior the release of the source code of DSM 6.1. He said that he did not need the source code to make the loader work since his patching method was still functional with DSM 6.1. That's one thing.

Now for the modules, I am guessing that he either reverse engineered the modules and fiddled with them or recompiled the modules with the kernel source code of linux 3.10.102 which has been available for close to a year already. I am just guessing here, so do not quote me on this one. That's a question that Jun would need to answer himself. But in general one needs at least the source code of the kernel to be able to compile a module that will work with that kernel version.

Tossed a kernel ID? Not sure what that is supposed to mean but if modules were not compiled against the proper source code they would simply not work. Do not confuse modules and firmware.

All modules within the v1.02a (or v1.02a2) loaders are compiled against DSM 6.1 source code and made to work with linux kernel 3.10.102. There is no other way around. In your case, the firmware seems to be missing. I checked the extra ramdisk and it is not there. The rc.modules also needs to be updated with the added firmware or whatever module you add in the ramdisk else it wont be loaded during kernel boot. I have made the necessary changes in the ramdisk. Let me know if it works (or not). I can't test it myself since I do not have that NIC.

https://mega.nz/#!OQplzISJ!L6HzXJq2ZwX- ... k99jYVwKBc

note to myself: This ramdisk only contains the additional firmware bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw on top of the default ones added by Jun. Nothing else.

thanks

Thanks for helping but unfortunately still not working for me. comparing this version with previous one there is also a file in the modules folder called bnx2list.ko that is missing.

I can confirm it is working bare metal on ASUS C60M1-I with AMD Fusion APU C-60. Network card is Realtek 8111F.

System is running with DSM 6.1-15047-1 Raid1 Btrfs. I was able to perform the automatic update 1 and rebooted without issue afterwards.

Prior to this I was running Version: 6.0.2-8451-8 on this same system without issue.

Jun, would you mind commenting on this? I have seen several people saying that v1.02a is working with AMD based CPU hardware. How is this possible? Thanks.

I have tested the following AMD Mini ITX motherboards with 1.02A and working:

Asus C60m1-I

Asus E35M1-I

Asus E35M1-I Deluxe

Asrock C70M1

Asrock E350M1

I testing in hp n54L is amd onboard cpu

In 1.01 us needed boot on amd title mode

In 1.02a amd title mode in conf is # hidden on boot screen

I testing in hp n54L is amd onboard cpu

In 1.01 us needed boot on amd title mode

In 1.02a amd title mode in conf is # hidden on boot screen

@shal

Nice news

How can I unlock the hidden function?

cu-ya

There is a good reason why the AMD line and boot sequence is commented out in v1.02a. It's not hidden, it simply isn't fully functional or maybe Jun didn't go through the code to make sure it is working as expected with AMD based hardware. This loader is already an alpha so I do not recommend you host important data on the box if you are planning on using the loader on an AMD based machine.

Here is a video install i made of DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha on ESXI 6.5 Ill be making another one on how to install ds3617xs V1.02a2-alpha soon...

That's would be awesome! Can you do a your next video for a barebone install of 10.2a2 please? :grin:

Thanks a lot!

Bare metal install would be awesome for me too. Thanks a lot!

I have tested last loader with ESXI 6.0, no problem.

I just cannot add second network card ? Someone did that ?

I add another network interface on VM on ESXI.

I restart Syno, but anything

I use grub menu and mac2 command, anything....

Another step missed ?

EDIT: It's a success, i changed Network interface with E1000 instead VMnet2.

No boot loader screen? Nothing?

I have also a bloody bastard HP Elite Desktop that cannot boot from USB. If I burn a CDROM, everything is fine. Now I screw a small CDROM into the box behind a cover and that works good. So it boots up from internal CDROM. But I made this for 5.2 and not for 6.1. But I think its the same.

@dasis, you have to boot from USB. Check the Advance or other tab for "Boot Order", or "Boot option". You can even try to manually select boot device by pressing F11, F12, or other F-keys, depending on your system. Also, your computer is fairly old, and likely don't support UEFI, which is needed for this bootloader.

@dasis, you have to boot from USB. Check the Advance or other tab for "Boot Order", or "Boot option". You can even try to manually select boot device by pressing F11, F12, or other F-keys, depending on your system. Also, your computer is fairly old, and likely don't support UEFI, which is needed for this bootloader.

Is it UEFI only? I thought either would work

Is it UEFI only? I thought either would work

It's a hybrid loader. It will boot in legacy (BIOS) or UEFI enabled motherboards.

Hello,

I did step by step, but didn't boot from usb. Black screen.

20170421_205401_HDR.jpg

change

ch.jpg

What i did wrong?

Please help me install 6

You are using the wrong serial number. Don;t use the HP serialnumber but generate a synology one. I can't find the link but it has been posted many times.

You can find it!

OK, I've spent a day on this so I figure I'd share in the hopes that the issue can be fixed and/or I can help someone else with my workaround...

setup:

1. I am running an ASRrock C236 WSI mobo that has two builtin 1Gb intel nics (1xi210 and 1xi219) and I added in an intel x550-t1 pcie nic to run on my 10gbe network.

2. I wasn't using the onboard nics, but they were enabled in the bios (which saved me in the end).

3. I properly set up the mac1,mac2,mac3 entries in the grub.cfg with the appropriate mac addresses

problem:

when first booting loader to upgrade to 6.0.2 from 5.2, I could see the 10gbe nic requesting an IP through DHCP and my server sending one back... but then it kept asking over and over again, ignoring the responses. so I plugged a cable into the first onboard nic, and voila... worked like a champ.

using the onboard i219 nic, the upgrade ran smoothly.

after booting into DSM, I went to try to figure out what was going on with the network... this is when I realised the i210 and the x550t1 nics seemed to be able to send data out, but nothing would come back. DSM could see that the nics were connected to the network, but couldn't communicate... so it couldn't get an IP address via DHCP. Even when I manually assigned IP addresses, I could not ping that address from another machine.

I ssh'd into the NAS, and started looking at the modules.

I noticed that the i219 used the e1000e driver, while the i210 and x550 used the igb and ixgbe drivers, both of which depended on the dca.ko module (direct cache access) - not sure if this is relevant

solution:

Anyway, i found that if I removed and reloaded the ixgbe module, i could then use ifconfig to bring up the network adapter and i could appropriately communicate with the network.

I tried several other workarounds/attempted fixes, but nothing would work... so eventually I just made a script and would unload and reload the ixgbe module and called it from the /etc/rc file just before it configured the network.

that did the trick.

So, why is the igb and the ixgbe drivers not working properly at boot? I have no clue. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. If you like me to try anything to troubleshoot, I'm happy to help.

Good luck all.