XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

I could although not sure what the purpose would be. The testing was aimed at v1.02a. Let me try anyway see how that goes.

EDIT: Tried with Xpenoboot 5.2 and everything loads properly. I didn't try installing DSM as I don't see the point but it seems to work fine with Xpenoboot 5.2.

The point was to see what difference makes it not boot. So 5.2 works, meaning that kernel config is working. Did the 1.00/1.01 loaders work?

I could although not sure what the purpose would be. The testing was aimed at v1.02a. Let me try anyway see how that goes.

EDIT: Tried with Xpenoboot 5.2 and everything loads properly. I didn't try installing DSM as I don't see the point but it seems to work fine with Xpenoboot 5.2.

The point was to see what difference makes it not boot. So 5.2 works, meaning that kernel config is working. Did the 1.00/1.01 loaders work?

None worked. 1.00, 1.01, 1.02a and 1.02a-test

None worked. 1.00, 1.01, 1.02a and 1.02a-test

Okay, so it is definitely a difference between Jun's loader and Trantor's loader. Maybe different kernel defconfig, some feature missing?

When will there be AMD support?

6.1. works on AMD, see my signature.

That is interesting. Below a quote from Jun himself about AMD support:

I can see in the grub.cfg file the AMD loader is commented out, does this mean that those using Gen7 HP Microservers have to wait a little longer? Just wanted to make sure before trying to use this.

Yes, AMD loader need some extra work.

Did you do a migration or a clean install with v1.02a ?

I have tried 1.02a and 1.02a-test, Show Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... Done.

Booting the kernel.

But i cant find my N54L in network

As far i remember N54L is AMD turion, at now there isn't any AMD in 6.1 bootloader.

Or, bootloader doesn't contains drivers for your network card.

If you have serial cable connect another pc to N54L serial port to show boot log

Hello Everyone,

i currently have a xpenology DSM 5.2 setup. I would like to upgrade the motherboard/cpu/ram in the system. Given that all drivers are included in xpenology, could i simply swap out those components in my system and plug the hdds in the same sata port sequence, without having to reinstall DSM etc...? By the way for now i would be keeping the same versoin of xpenology/dsm etc... not touching that for the moment. I just want to upgrade the hardware for now.

Hello Everyone,

i currently have a xpenology DSM 5.2 setup. I would like to upgrade the motherboard/cpu/ram in the system. Given that all drivers are included in xpenology, could i simply swap out those components in my system and plug the hdds in the same sata port sequence, without having to reinstall DSM etc...? By the way for now i would be keeping the same versoin of xpenology/dsm etc... not touching that for the moment. I just want to upgrade the hardware for now.

Normally swaping out hard drives from one NAS box to another should work with an initial setup called migration. That should be the case as well in terms of Xpenology; that is if your new hardware is booting Xpenology correctly without any problem and with all the supported hardware and drivers. Unfortunately there is no gurentee in the world of Xpenology when it comes to list of supporting hardware or working drivers. For that reason I would suggest sticking with your current hardware if it is working flawlessly and stability is your priority.

If you are adventurious, always remeber to have backup of your data before proceeding to the migration. You wouldn't want to risk all your data for the hardware upgrade.

First I would like to start by saying I am a bit of a noob.

I am currently running DSM 5.2 on bare metal. I would like to go, at sometime, to DSM 6.(no hurry) I have read the OP instrunctions and tried to read a good portion of this thread. But 250 something pages is a little tough to get through. I am looking for guidance on a way to proceed.

I currently use my box mainly for Plex.

My setup is:

MB: Asus P8H61-I R2.0 x4 Sata 2

LAN: Realtek 8111F Gigabit x1

Proc: I5-2320

IO Crest 4 Port Sata 3 PCI-e 2.0

Silverstone ITX case w/ 8 Hot swap bays

The disks are in SHR2 single volume

WD Red 3TB x8, going to start upgrading to 4TB over the next few months ($$$)

Running:

Deluge, Sonarr, Transmission, PMS, and a couple others. Looking at getting a separate box to run these, but nothing yet.

While I know its a bad idea, I don't have a backup of my data. I can't really afford a second box or a service to put almost 10TB of data.

1. What would be the best version to go to?

2. Would a clean install or migration be better?

3. Is SHR or RAID a better choice? I assume that if I switch I would have to reformat.

4. I would like to play with DSM 6 in virtualbox. What is the process for that?

5. At some point I plan on upgrading MB and processor. Should I wait to upgrade till then?

If that is a lot of questions I am sorry, I just want to be thorough.

Thank you for any help.

Point 4 is fairly symple.

Download Jun's loader 1.01 for dsm 6 and the corresponding .pat file for the ds3615xx at synology

In virtual box open the .ovf file from the loaders zip and add a new blank harddisk.

Startup, goto the virtualbox IP port 5000 and start installing dsm 6.0 with the download .pat file

That should be all, the rest can be done with the syno client.

Point 4 is fairly symple.

Download Jun's loader 1.01 for dsm 6 and the corresponding .pat file for the ds3615xx at synology

In virtual box open the .ovf file from the loaders zip and add a new blank harddisk.

Startup, goto the virtualbox IP port 5000 and start installing dsm 6.0 with the download .pat file

That should be all, the rest can be done with the syno client.

Virtualbox doesn't work under 6.0.2; you need 6.1 for that.. Which means the newest loader and newest DSM..

#H

Hello,

I've been running xpeno baremetal for a few years now.

Yesterday I went to update from the last nanoboot to Jun's loader (Thanks for the work Jun!). I went through the procedure in the tutorial (Thanks Polanskiman!).

Boot is fine, but the box does not appear on the net. Mobo is an older Geforce with an onboard Nvidia NIC (forcedeth).

Is the nvidia NIC driver included in the drivers with Jun's loader? Is anyone else using Jun's loader and an Nvidia Nic?

Hello,

I've been running xpeno baremetal for a few years now.

Yesterday I went to update from the last nanoboot to Jun's loader (Thanks for the work Jun!). I went through the procedure in the tutorial (Thanks Polanskiman!).

Boot is fine, but the box does not appear on the net. Mobo is an older Geforce with an onboard Nvidia NIC (forcedeth).

Is the nvidia NIC driver included in the drivers with Jun's loader? Is anyone else using Jun's loader and an Nvidia Nic?

If you are on v1.01, replace the extra.lzma with this one https://mega.nz/#!KUxmhY7R!FYOSzesxdUjPlynO4YDvSu4LKfFkFk9eBvkUD9AGS04. I included the forcedeth module.

Let me know if it works.

I repeat. This is only for v1.01 NOT v.1.02a.

Hi,

I'm really grateful for the detailed guides and info on here - THANK YOU.

I am building a Xeon-D based NAS so my hardware should be almost identical to the DS3617xs which has just been released.

My install will be BARE METAL.

What is the benefit or difference in using different DSM packages?

Jun advises the DS3615xs.pat with his 1.01 loader. His 1.02a loader has DS3617xs included.

I downloaded the DS3617xs.pat for DSM 6.1 (no earlier version) but am uncertain which DSM to install.

I have seen steps taken to get the latest DSM 6.1 working and am interested to know if there is a decent reason for me to do so...

Second query:

the bootloader sets a MAC address for my NIC's (10GBase-T onboard).

How do I wake the NAS using Wake on Lan (WOL)? is the MAC a logical one to fool DSM and do I need to flash over my NIC MAC address or will my PC etc just see the native MAC and I point my magic packet at that?

Still learning a lot about xpenology and the interactions of the bootloader and the DSM system.

Hi,

I'm really grateful for the detailed guides and info on here - THANK YOU.

I am building a Xeon-D based NAS so my hardware should be almost identical to the DS3617xs which has just been released.

My install will be BARE METAL.

What is the benefit or difference in using different DSM packages?

Jun advises the DS3615xs.pat with his 1.01 loader. His 1.02a loader has DS3617xs included.

I downloaded the DS3617xs.pat for DSM 6.1 (no earlier version) but am uncertain which DSM to install.

I have seen steps taken to get the latest DSM 6.1 working and am interested to know if there is a decent reason for me to do so...

Use DS3615xs for now, especially if you want DSM6.1. DS3617xs has a time bomb built in which renders your NAS unusable after ~12-24hrs.

Second query:

the bootloader sets a MAC address for my NIC's (10GBase-T onboard).

How do I wake the NAS using Wake on Lan (WOL)? is the MAC a logical one to fool DSM and do I need to flash over my NIC MAC address or will my PC etc just see the native MAC and I point my magic packet at that?

Still learning a lot about xpenology and the interactions of the bootloader and the DSM system.

Use your own MAC address instead of any generated one, and use that for WOL.

Good Morning,

is there a way to get my usb-controller working? This is the only thing I miss in DSM6.

I ran DSM in a ESXI VM. The controller is directly passed.

https://i.imgur.com/pqk7gyu.png

DEV ID: 8C26

VEN: 8086

You don't need to passthrough your usb controller to use it. Just go to your vm setting page, add a virtual usb controller to the config, click apply, then plug in your usb device, go back into your vm setting page, add a usb device and select that particular device from the list, click apply and you are done.