XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

i've installed the DSM 6.0 based on tutorial. I used force instalall. After using Synology assitant installing DSM on my PC, the PC restarted but then when i connected to the PC through its IP, it still asked me to install again. I reinstalled once more time and the situation was the same as before! I don't know how to fix it! Any suggestion? Thanks !

EDIT: i forgot to edit the Mac address. Now it boots ok! Thanks!

Edited by Guest

sata0 is the HDD, sata1 is the ODD, sata2 and sata3 do not show up and most probably are empty headers as you said. sata4 is the esata port.

Yes I am aware those messages are events and not errors, yet kernel loading seems to stop and no further output is seen on the consol.

My question actually lies on why this is happening.

Doesn't the ATA port numbering in software begin at 1, while it begins at 0 on the board? Though it is possible that the controller provides 4 ports, and a separate controller is used for eSATA.

I doubt that those messages are related to the reason why it won't boot further. Can you provide full logs from start?

The ata denomination is really not the issue here.

As I have already said, there is nothing else in the consol output, else I would have provided it. Those are the only two lines that appear once the kernel start decompressing. Nothing else shows. I've left it for 10 min see if anything else would show, but nothing there.

sata0 is the HDD, sata1 is the ODD, sata2 and sata3 do not show up and most probably are empty headers as you said. sata4 is the esata port.

Yes I am aware those messages are events and not errors, yet kernel loading seems to stop and no further output is seen on the consol.

My question actually lies on why this is happening.

Doesn't the ATA port numbering in software begin at 1, while it begins at 0 on the board? Though it is possible that the controller provides 4 ports, and a separate controller is used for eSATA.

I doubt that those messages are related to the reason why it won't boot further. Can you provide full logs from start?

The ata denomination is really not the issue here.

As I have already said, there is nothing else in the consol output, else I would have provided it. Those are the only two lines that appear once the kernel start decompressing. Nothing else shows. I've left it for 10 min see if anything else would show, but nothing there.

Recalling a bug I encountered a while back with a certain motherboard, try resetting the BIOS to defaults and don't change anything except ensuring ahci is active. If that still doesn't work, remove the cd drive entirely or disable in BIOS if that option is available.

Recalling a bug I encountered a while back with a certain motherboard, try resetting the BIOS to defaults and don't change anything except ensuring ahci is active. If that still doesn't work, remove the cd drive entirely or disable in BIOS if that option is available.

I had a similar bug with my mobo (MSI B250I PRO), but it wasn't about booting. It booted, but network was not accessible.

Hello Everyone,

i currently have a xpenology DSM 5.2 setup. I would like to upgrade the motherboard/cpu/ram in the system. Given that all drivers are included in xpenology, could i simply swap out those components in my system and plug the hdds in the same sata port sequence, without the system messing up or anything? By the way for now i would be keeping the same versoin of xpenology/dsm etc... not touching that for the moment. I just want to upgrade the hardware for now.

Hi, Booted a vm on ESXi 6.0 and updated to the latest (DSM 6.1-15047 Update 2).

Managed to create a disk (Virtual Only).

Was only planning on using it for a downloading client with the SynoCommunity Packages but the packaged arent compiled yet for the new DS3617xs

But looks good other than the packages issue.

Will shut it down for now untill the packages are available. Also ive not put any MAC addresses in the file and still works fine

Was only planning on using it for a downloading client with the SynoCommunity Packages but the packaged arent compiled yet for the new DS3617xs

Will shut it down for now untill the packages are available. Also ive not put any MAC addresses in the file and still works fine

The SynoCommunity packages do not work on 6.x, it is not an issue with the DS3617xs.

What software do you need? Most probably you'll be able to run the same via Docker (which should be the preferred method any way).

Hi

DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha-TEST has fixed my on board Ethernet issue but the LSI 9207-8i not detected.

Is LSI 9207-8I supported yet?

I am using esxi 6 because the 6.5 don't let me put my usb Ethernet as management interface permanently.

Do you have the download link for V1.02-alpha-TEST ?

I had read that the 6.x loader uses synology model that didn't support SHR raid. Is that still true? If I do a new install using xpe 6.0.2 update 7. Would I be able to use SHR .

Thanks

Synology is discontinuing SHR in favor of regular RAID arrays. Newer models and pretty much 6.x on Intel-based HW removes the option to create an SHR array, and offers regular RAID instead. However, existing SHR arrays will still work.

The SynoCommunity packages do not work on 6.x, it is not an issue with the DS3617xs.

What software do you need? Most probably you'll be able to run the same via Docker (which should be the preferred method any way).

Syno Community works fine on dsm 6.x with the DS3615xs.

The packages i use are sabnzbd, couch potato, sonarr and the respected dependencies.

I tried using docker n couldnt get it to work. Also i read somewhere that the docker wont be working for the near future on DX3617xs. But could try it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Guest

Syno Community works fine on dsm 6.x with the DS3614xs.

The packages i use are sabnzbd, couch potato, sonarr and the respected dependencies.

A good majority of the SynoCommunity packages won't work unless you install them on 5.2, and upgrade to 6.0. The reason is that SynoCommunity packages create specific users and groups, a feature that was removed in 6.0 - not entirely removed, but modified in a way that these packages need serious retouching to get them to work again. Further info on the issue here

I tried using docker n couldnt get it to work. Also i read somewhere that the docker wont be working for the near future on DX3617xs. But could try it on

Docker is quite simple to get working. Most of the packages you seem to be using are already available in the LinuxServer.io packages, ready to deploy. Think of each Docker container as an app running in its own chroot. If you need some help, I can give some pointers in private (since this thread is about the loader, not Docker or packages).

And the latter part is pure bullshit. Synology implemented Docker for a single reason - it's an industry-leading technology of containerizing stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced their apps with containers in the future.

Hi

DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha-TEST has fixed my on board Ethernet issue but the LSI 9207-8i not detected.

Is LSI 9207-8I supported yet?

I am using esxi 6 because the 6.5 don't let me put my usb Ethernet as management interface permanently.

Do you have the download link for V1.02-alpha-TEST ?

look for post early mar.

I solved my problem because I didn't plug in the sata cables to the LSI card. lol.

Syno Community works fine on dsm 6.x with the DS3614xs.

A good majority of the SynoCommunity packages won't work unless you install them on 5.2, and upgrade to 6.0. The reason is that SynoCommunity packages create specific users and groups, a feature that was removed in 6.0 - not entirely removed, but modified in a way that these packages need serious retouching to get them to work again. Further info on the issue here

Docker is quite simple to get working. Most of the packages you seem to be using are already available in the LinuxServer.io packages, ready to deploy. Think of each Docker container as an app running in its own chroot. If you need some help, I can give some pointers in private (since this thread is about the loader, not Docker or packages).

And the latter part is pure bullshit. Synology implemented Docker for a single reason - it's an industry-leading technology of containerizing stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced their apps with containers in the future.

Will message you when ive had a look more into it then

Cheers

I had read that the 6.x loader uses synology model that didn't support SHR raid. Is that still true? If I do a new install using xpe 6.0.2 update 7. Would I be able to use SHR .

Thanks

Synology is discontinuing SHR in favor of regular RAID arrays. Newer models and pretty much 6.x on Intel-based HW removes the option to create an SHR array, and offers regular RAID instead. However, existing SHR arrays will still work.

Really? I did not know this. SHR is one of the big selling points imo! Why they getting rid of it?

I had a similar bug with my mobo (MSI B250I PRO), but it wasn't about booting. It booted, but network was not accessible.

I had already tried a BIOS reset and that didn't change anything. I removed the ODD but still see those two lines and then nothing. I'm guessing the loader is not liking some of the hardware in that machine.

I had already tried a BIOS reset and that didn't change anything. I removed the ODD but still see those two lines and then nothing. I'm guessing the loader is not liking some of the hardware in that machine.

I doubt it's the loader, it sounds more like a kernel panic. There's no ramoops after reboot, right?

I doubt it's the loader, it sounds more like a kernel panic. There's no ramoops after reboot, right?

Yes by loader I meant the kernel since it hangs while the kernel is loading. No ramoops. Only thing I can see is the usb/serial connector LED that stays on continuously instead of blinking when there is data passing in an out. It definitely hangs there.

Yes by loader I meant the kernel since it hangs while the kernel is loading. No ramoops. Only thing I can see is the usb/serial connector LED that stays on continuously instead of blinking when there is data passing in an out. It definitely hangs there.

That's a though nut to crack, especially without logs, or access to files.

Can you boot 5.2 on it, and see if it works?

That's a though nut to crack, especially without logs, or access to files.

Can you boot 5.2 on it, and see if it works?

I could although not sure what the purpose would be. The testing was aimed at v1.02a. Let me try anyway see how that goes.

EDIT: Tried with Xpenoboot 5.2 and everything loads properly. I didn't try installing DSM as I don't see the point but it seems to work fine with Xpenoboot 5.2.