XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

I'm using this card: Intel ® EXPI9301CTBLK Gigabit CT

Was thinking of reinstalling with DS3615, I'll follow your advice. I've just found out that upload speed to DS3617 is not consistent (throttled?).

Was unable to properly mount an external 6TB ntfs gpt partition (fdisk -l was showing "microsoft basic data partition").

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for your advice

Hi Rick67,

take care. Everyone having trouble with DS3617. Use DS3615. DS 3617 will not work after few days. Made same experience and use now DS3615.

For me the DS3615xs loader also stopped working after ~24 hours, and it was in general a lot slower (web UI access, saving and loading config, etc.)

Hey Boom,

Note that the SSD only really kicks in for small files, but I'm using a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB for the SSD Cache.

The drives themselves are all spindle but on that board, its running full 8 lanes (even though the slot can do 16x). So figure that the card can easily do a large transfer rate north of 10 gigabit pretty easily with that number of drives which can max out the 10 Gb Ethernet easily.

Full Parts list here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015FWP4B2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IAELTAI

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SD9IORQ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BIWLFGQ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085FT2JC

Tossed an unltraquiet 60cm fan on the heatsink just so it stays under 50c.

Drives:

https://www.amazon.com/HITACHI-0F12470- ... B00SQ65ZCI

Which bench out at 160-180 x 8 drives = 1200MB/sec - 1440MB/sec and on 5.2 it benched this hardware at 10Gb network max.

Wrote a few days ago (pg 225) about running 3617x version of 1.02a and the drive issues.

Moving over to 3615 and 6.1 (DSM_DS3615xs_15047.pat) worked great.

That said... 5.2 was quite a bit faster on file transfers, and I added a SSD to the mix just to see if it made any difference on 6.1 (knowing for large file transfers it wouldnt).

on 5.2 I was able to consistently max out the 10GB line at 850-950+ MB/sec.

on 6.1 I get spikes up to about 500, but it nosedives down to 100-150, then perks up to about 200, but not much better

So i'm a bit bummed there because i like 6.x series as my real Syno runs it (yep supported the company as well).

For reference I'm using a LSI9211-8 on a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O Xeon D-1521 board.

My question is this... Does anyone think that with the new 6.1 drop, that any of the new compiles will make any tangible difference?

Also, anyone know if M.2 SSD might be supported? would be amazing for cache at the 10GB speeds since single SSD is going to max out at 500.

wow 850-950mbs ? What SSD are you using - i had an Samsung 850 SSD in mine 5.2 and maxed out at 245Mbs - now running Synology DS916+II with 2 Samsung 850 SSD running Raid 0 and peeking at 310 when start transf, a 8GB file from a folder to another and gets down to 145Mbs ..

I would love to hear more about your config - I'am running the Raid0 on btrfs as volume 1 - Had hoped to get much more speed with 2 ssd raid0, but still around 150-145Mbs

I've been trying for the last couple of days to install XPEnology on my Dell PowerEdge R510, without any success currently.

I recently was successful in testing 6.0.2 on a Dell R710. I put an Intel NIC in and booted off usb. The machine was found and I loaded the pat file. Then on reboot, I could not find it again, I moved the cat5 cable to NIC 1 of the server, not the Intel NIC, and it was found. I rebooted several times and it has been working for the past week.

I did not modify the image file in any way.

HP Gen8 with integrated dual nic

Upgrade is working but no network after reboot...

I connect to my Gen8 with iLO VSP (iLO Virtual Serial Port) and I found that there are 2 file missing from /lib/modules after upgrade: libphy.ko and tg3.ko

I have found these two files under /lib/modules/update so I copied them under /lib/modules (don't forget to chmod 644 them) and reboot... now network is working again.

I think, as Jun's said, there's something related to update script to fix... but, as other said, clean install work.

Ciao

ema

Confirming this worked for me as well on my Gen8. I needed to get up to 6.1 so I could finally update to the newest phpVirtualBox, and this was my only option. I'm getting the "failed storage space" for my single SSD at boot, but everything runs fine so that's not really a big deal.

thanks for sharing both!

Is there a way to disable the MAC changing aspect of the loader? I think that might be causing the problem with my network at the moment, and no matter what I set as MAC address, no loader shows up on the network.

You could try adding a second NIC and disconnecting your primary connection, that worked in vmware for me. Otherwise, there are plenty of instructions around doing this properly, ie mounting the img file, changing the vid, pid and mac address...

Is there a way to disable the MAC changing aspect of the loader? I think that might be causing the problem with my network at the moment, and no matter what I set as MAC address, no loader shows up on the network.

You could try adding a second NIC and disconnecting your primary connection, that worked in vmware for me. Otherwise, there are plenty of instructions around doing this properly, ie mounting the img file, changing the vid, pid and mac address...

I am very well aware of doing this "properly". However for some days now I've been having the issue of not being able to see the device on network no matter what I do. Last night it went so bad that even my router's "connected devices" tab fritzed out and refused to show any.

Since my network is not exactly standard setup (main router broadcasts a hidden SSID network with MAC filter, luckily the filter does not work on 5GHz networks, so I use a secondary router, an Asus AC66U_B1 to repeat the signal as my own network, including LAN), I can't set a fixed IP for it at all.

I am very well aware of doing this "properly". However for some days now I've been having the issue of not being able to see the device on network no matter what I do. Last night it went so bad that even my router's "connected devices" tab fritzed out and refused to show any.

Since my network is not exactly standard setup (main router broadcasts a hidden SSID network with MAC filter, luckily the filter does not work on 5GHz networks, so I use a secondary router, an Asus AC66U_B1 to repeat the signal as my own network, including LAN), I can't set a fixed IP for it at all.

Did you try to change the order of loading kernel modules as mentioned here http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24308&p=82646#p82626?

Edited by Guest

Did you try to change the order of loading kernel modules as mentioned here http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24308&p=82646#p82626?

Please see my setup below. The thing is, it worked for roughly 3 weeks now, without an issue. I tried a few other options since XPEnology has its own shortcomings (mainly on the Docker front, my Portainer setup crashes every ~24 hours and requires total rebuilding from zero), and it does not support a few features I'd like to enable in the future (e.g. using the built-in WiFi of my mobo). But still it's the best NAS OS available to date.

Has anyone tried updating FROM 6.1, to the latest update from Synology (6.1 update 1), when using the Alpha loader?

Any issues?

Any news on the loader and when it might come out of Alpha? :smile:

Thanks

#H

My personal opinion is that it wont come out of alpha since 6.1 sources are now available and I think it would make more sense so try doing a loader with these sources for the longer term; unless or course the new kernel ends up being more difficult to hack.

I might be wrong though.

Has anyone tried updating FROM 6.1, to the latest update from Synology (6.1 update 1), when using the Alpha loader?

Any issues?

Yep, running Update 1 without any problems, other than the usual false alarm "storage space has failed" message I get at boot.

Any issues?

Yep, running Update 1 without any problems, other than the usual false alarm "storage space has failed" message I get at boot.

Same here : Update 1 with 3615 loader. Everything is fine for few weeks, except the same false alarm message at boot for which I did not find a solution yet.

My personal opinion is that it wont come out of alpha since 6.1 sources are now available and I think it would make more sense so try doing a loader with these sources for the longer term; unless or course the new kernel ends up being more difficult to hack.

I might be wrong though.

That could also mean that 1.02 will be 6.1 sources based AND out of alpha :wink: But we'd definitely need a better organized thread, and definitely better organized releases (possibly even on Github?)

I might be wrong though.

That could also mean that 1.02 will be 6.1 sources based AND out of alpha :wink: But we'd definitely need a better organized thread, and definitely better organized releases (possibly even on Github?)

+1, not sure why we've got this crazy forum thread going when hosting the project on github would allow us to properly raise bug reports and monitor progress. Thoughts?

I might be wrong though.

+1, not sure why we've got this crazy forum thread going when hosting the project on github would allow us to properly raise bug reports and monitor progress. Thoughts?

Well I do have concerns about GitHub, since they're so keen on obeying any kind of DMCA takedown request - and those are easy to come by. Synology could say the bootloader collides with one of their trademarks or copyrights, and bam, repo down.