XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

My DSM 5.2 was doing weird stuff so I decided to do a clean install of DSM 6.0.2. I can't get QuickConnect to work (I need it because I can't port forward here). It worked in 5.2 with a serial and mac address from the excel file. I used the same sn and mac on DSM 6 and n can't even log in. Tried a new sn and mac, still nothing. Reinstalled 5.2 and used the old (from when it worked) sn and mac and still not working. Used again a new sn and mac and still not working. Can anybody help me with this?

There are some brave souls here willing to run a NAS as a VM.. Do the benefits really out weigh the risks?

Why not open a new thread? This is a forum and not a chatboard.

Once again the question: are there any Mods around here?

Are we really going there with the semantics? The terms message board and forum are pretty much used interchangeably ever since the dawn of internet. Since we are talking about mainly DSM 6.1 in the thread labeled 6.0.2, a new thread should have been started weeks ago.

Ive managed to get the ASM1062 Sata PCI-E Card running on a passthrough. But its using the baremetal login.

Is there a way to make it so the ESXi version pulls the driver for it?

Look that

I have no issue seeing them in esxi, or any other vm baring when i load juns esxi vm loader. Even works fine on the baremetal in a vm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wait a day or two and then report again :wink:

everything still working even my mellanox that did not work before

No volume crashes or funky messages?

none so far , the only thing i needed to do was delete my 3rd party sources and add them again, and IDS wasn't compatible so i deleted it

There are some brave souls here willing to run a NAS as a VM.. Do the benefits really out weigh the risks?

Why not open a new thread? This is a forum and not a chatboard.

Once again the question: are there any Mods around here?

Are we really going there with the semantics? The terms message board and forum are pretty much used interchangeably ever since the dawn of internet. Since we are talking about mainly DSM 6.1 in the thread labeled 6.0.2, a new thread should have been started weeks ago.

Yes we are. This is a topic for Jun's loader, let it be for 6.0.2 or 6.1 - your question however is totally off topic and should be in a separate thread. Don't try to play smart.

Yes we are. This is a topic for Jun's loader, let it be for 6.0.2 or 6.1 - your question however is totally off topic and should be in a separate thread. Don't try to play smart.

I didn't specifically mention XPEnology DSM in my question, but since I posted it here in this thread I'mm sure most would assume that is what i was talking about seeing how there is a vmdx for Jun's loader.. tell me how it wasn't relevant to the discussion? This is honestly the first place I've seen mentioned about running a NAS inside a VM.

I didn't specifically mention XPEnology DSM in my question, but since I posted it here in this thread I'mm sure most would assume that is what i was talking about seeing how there is a vmdx for Jun's loader.. tell me how it wasn't relevant to the discussion? This is honestly the first place I've seen mentioned about running a NAS inside a VM.

Your question was whether it's worth to run a NAS OS in a VM. Completely unrelated to the actual topic of the loader. Here, discussion should be limited to the following topics:

a, Discussion of usage of the loader

b, Discussion of bugs/missing drivers of the loader

c, Discussion of possible upgrades to the loader (e.g. if 6.2 introduces a new defense mechanism, like they did with 5.something with the PCIe device check)

Your topic falls into neither of these topics.

Wrote a few days ago (pg 225) about running 3617x version of 1.02a and the drive issues.

Moving over to 3615 and 6.1 (DSM_DS3615xs_15047.pat) worked great.

That said... 5.2 was quite a bit faster on file transfers, and I added a SSD to the mix just to see if it made any difference on 6.1 (knowing for large file transfers it wouldnt).

on 5.2 I was able to consistently max out the 10GB line at 850-950+ MB/sec.

on 6.1 I get spikes up to about 500, but it nosedives down to 100-150, then perks up to about 200, but not much better

So i'm a bit bummed there because i like 6.x series as my real Syno runs it (yep supported the company as well).

For reference I'm using a LSI9211-8 on a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O Xeon D-1521 board.

My question is this... Does anyone think that with the new 6.1 drop, that any of the new compiles will make any tangible difference?

Also, anyone know if M.2 SSD might be supported? would be amazing for cache at the 10GB speeds since single SSD is going to max out at 500.

I'm happy to report a successful install on a Proware Pronas SN-1400 with Supermicro X7SPA-H board.

No issues with boot from USB, initial discovery and install followed by updating with SP8.

I'm working to get the i2c monitoring, backplane led's and LCD display to work.

This will need a few packages built when I get time.

Mark.

I've been trying for the last couple of days to install XPEnology on my Dell PowerEdge R510, without any success currently.

It boots the USB and gets to the Intro: screen i.e

"Screen will stop updating shortly, please open http:/.... to continue. _"

Tested Juns -

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.02a

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.01

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.00

With the same outcomes...

But the Synology assistant only shows my DS1812+ and not the Dell Server, I've also checked FING and can't see it on my network at all.

The Network chip is a Broadcom BCM5716C0KPBG - Which I can see that the Broadcom 5716, is in the supported hardware list on this Forum.

I'm booting using the Dell UEFI, rather than BIOS, using an LSI SAS HBA, might try with an add-in PCIe network card instead.

Just added one of my PCIe Intel NICs into the server and booted straight away, but still can't see the Broadcom LOM's :sad: which are the ones I wanna be using, as the PCIe card is for another machine.

HP Gen8 with integrated dual nic

Upgrade is working but no network after reboot...

I connect to my Gen8 with iLO VSP (iLO Virtual Serial Port) and I found that there are 2 file missing from /lib/modules after upgrade: libphy.ko and tg3.ko

I have found these two files under /lib/modules/update so I copied them under /lib/modules (don't forget to chmod 644 them) and reboot... now network is working again.

I think, as Jun's said, there's something related to update script to fix... but, as other said, clean install work.

Ciao

ema

Confirming this worked for me as well on my Gen8. I needed to get up to 6.1 so I could finally update to the newest phpVirtualBox, and this was my only option. I'm getting the "failed storage space" for my single SSD at boot, but everything runs fine so that's not really a big deal.

I've been trying for the last couple of days to install XPEnology on my Dell PowerEdge R510, without any success currently.

Tested Juns -

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.02a

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.01

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.00

But the Synology assistant only shows my DS1812+ and not the Dell Server, I've also checked FING and can't see it on my network at all.

The Network chip is a Broadcom BCM5716C0KPBG - Which I can see that the Broadcom 5716, is in the supported hardware list on this Forum.

I'm booting using the Dell UEFI, rather than BIOS, using an LSI SAS HBA, might try with an add-in PCIe network card instead.

Just added one of my PCIe Intel NICs into the server and booted straight away, but still can't see the Broadcom LOM's :sad: which are the ones I wanna be using, as the PCIe card is for another machine.

Make sure that your boot USB has been properly updated with the matching PID and VID. 9 out of 10 cases happens because of this.

Wrote a few days ago (pg 225) about running 3617x version of 1.02a and the drive issues.

Moving over to 3615 and 6.1 (DSM_DS3615xs_15047.pat) worked great.

That said... 5.2 was quite a bit faster on file transfers, and I added a SSD to the mix just to see if it made any difference on 6.1 (knowing for large file transfers it wouldnt).

on 5.2 I was able to consistently max out the 10GB line at 850-950+ MB/sec.

on 6.1 I get spikes up to about 500, but it nosedives down to 100-150, then perks up to about 200, but not much better

So i'm a bit bummed there because i like 6.x series as my real Syno runs it (yep supported the company as well).

For reference I'm using a LSI9211-8 on a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O Xeon D-1521 board.

My question is this... Does anyone think that with the new 6.1 drop, that any of the new compiles will make any tangible difference?

Also, anyone know if M.2 SSD might be supported? would be amazing for cache at the 10GB speeds since single SSD is going to max out at 500.

wow 850-950mbs ? What SSD are you using - i had an Samsung 850 SSD in mine 5.2 and maxed out at 245Mbs - now running Synology DS916+II with 2 Samsung 850 SSD running Raid 0 and peeking at 310 when start transf, a 8GB file from a folder to another and gets down to 145Mbs ..

I would love to hear more about your config - I'am running the Raid0 on btrfs as volume 1 - Had hoped to get much more speed with 2 ssd raid0, but still around 150-145Mbs

Tested Juns -

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.02a

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.01

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.00

Make sure that your boot USB has been properly updated with the matching PID and VID. 9 out of 10 cases happens because of this.

Thanks for the information, how do I retrieve the PID & VID of my USB, I can use windows, linux and macOS.

Tested Juns -

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.02a

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.01

DS3615xs 6.1 v1.00

Thanks for the information, how do I retrieve the PID & VID of my USB, I can use windows, linux and macOS.

There's tons of software that gives you that information... There's a search engine called Google that gives you that info much faster than asking obvious questions here...

Okay, now I'm having the same issue. System set up properly, USB PID and VID matches, serial and MAC matches, aaaand it doesn't work. Nothing on the network. Nothing found by Synology's tool or find.synology.com. Interesting.

Loader is v1.01, with the same USB drive I've been using for months.

Okay, now I'm having the same issue. System set up properly, USB PID and VID matches, serial and MAC matches, aaaand it doesn't work. Nothing on the network. Nothing found by Synology's tool or find.synology.com. Interesting.

try rebooting ur router - had this issue the other day with my Synology DS916+II - after a router reboot I could find it with find.synology.com with no prob.

try rebooting ur router - had this issue the other day with my Synology DS916+II - after a router reboot I could find it with find.synology.com with no prob.

Been there, done that. I did the whole shebang of debugging for hours before posting it. The funny thing is that even my router won't show it, so it gets no IP address at all.

Success :grin:

Using Jun's loader 1.02a

Modified using OSFmount with proper info (usb vid/pid, network mac, serial), then img burned to usb

Synology 6.1 : DSM_DS3617xs_15047.pat

Asrock J3710-ITX

Using Intel network card (onboard realtek disabled in bios)

Serial port activated in bios

Using 4TB hd with basic configuration (no raid)

Thanks again Jun

Success :grin:

Using Jun's loader 1.02a

Modified using OSFmount with proper info (usb vid/pid, network mac, serial), then img burned to usb

Synology 6.1 : DSM_DS3617xs_15047.pat

Asrock J3710-ITX

Using Intel network card (onboard realtek disabled in bios)

Serial port activated in bios

Using 4TB hd with basic configuration (no raid)

Thanks again Jun

Hi Rick67,

take care. Everyone having trouble with DS3617. Use DS3615. DS 3617 will not work after few days. Made same experience and use now DS3615.