XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Jun

sata and usb here refers to the boot device of the DSM, usb for baremetal and sata for VM

I'm booting a BareMetal machine from a USB drive - it has two SATA disks present.. I was under the impression, from previous builds of your loader, that the SataPortMap command was required to set the number of Sata disks present in your machine..

This SataPortMap command was in the original 6.0.x loaders - and setting it correctly fixed this very same issue in 6.0.1 and 6.0.2.. (as per http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=20#p72953.)

Whatever the case, moving it to the common_args line fixed the issue in 6.1 on my BareMetal machine with your Alpha loader!.. :smile:

Thanks!

#H

Jun

sata and usb here refers to the boot device of the DSM, usb for baremetal and sata for VM

I'm booting a BareMetal machine from a USB drive - it has two SATA disks present.. I was under the impression, from previous builds of your loader, that the SataPortMap command was required to set the number of Sata disks present in your machine..

This SataPortMap command was in the original 6.0.x loaders - and setting it correctly fixed this very same issue in 6.0.1 and 6.0.2.. (as per http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=20#p72953.)

Whatever the case, moving it to the common_args line fixed the issue in 6.1 on my BareMetal machine with your Alpha loader!.. :smile:

Thanks!

#H

Actually, SataPortMap defines both the available ports AND the controllers.

So, say, your motherboard has 6 ports, 2 on the CPU (because it supports it), and 4 on an external controller. You add a 4-port PCIe card to have 10 ports in total.

Then your SataPortMap variable looks like this:

SataPortMap=244

Now, if we reverse this, and your CPU built-in controller powers 4 of the ports, and the other 2 are on the external controller, it will look like this:

SataPortMap=424

What you need to do is find out what kind of controller(s) are on your motherboard. Usually the manufacturer lists these info, but you can use a live Ubuntu image with

lsscsi --hosts

too.

Hi All!

I'm on Jun's Mod 1.01, and DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9, everything's fine, but after first boot (after few hours off) my server can't booting. It's an Asrock Q1900 mobo, and after first boot my pendrive (kingston 8GB) in bios not visible. After switch off, and on, pendrive visible, and i can change boot order, server booting, and everything works.

Have you any idea?

Thanks!

Hi All!

I'm on Jun's Mod 1.01, and DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9, everything's fine, but after first boot (after few hours off) my server can't booting. It's an Asrock Q1900 mobo, and after first boot my pendrive (kingston 8GB) in bios not visible. After switch off, and on, pendrive visible, and i can change boot order, server booting, and everything works.

Have you any idea?

Thanks!

If your pendrive is not visible after a reboot, it's more than likely a BIOS/UEFI issue (flash it to the latest version) equally it could be a dud pendrive.

Jun

So, say, your motherboard has 6 ports, 2 on the CPU (because it supports it), and 4 on an external controller. You add a 4-port PCIe card to have 10 ports in total.

SataPortMap=244

Now, if we reverse this, and your CPU built-in controller powers 4 of the ports, and the other 2 are on the external controller, it will look like this:

SataPortMap=424

What you need to do is find out what kind of controller(s) are on your motherboard. Usually the manufacturer lists these info, but you can use a live Ubuntu image with

lsscsi --hosts

too.

Thanks for the info..

I'm just using an old Dell desktop to test the release - which has definitely only got 2 Sata ports (and two drives connected) - so I guess it's going to be 2 anyway..

When I go to use it on my main NAS system - probably when it's out of Alpha - it's probably going to be slightly different (it has 6 sata ports)..

My point, I guess, was that I don't think this sataportmap command was being used at all in the original grub.cfg. I couldnt see where the sata_args list was called, so I moved sataportmap from it and into the common_args list (I could see where this was called). The sataportmap setting was present in older versions of the grub.cfg and it was the cause of my previous issues in 6.0.1...

#H

Hi All!

Have you any idea?

Thanks!

If your pendrive is not visible after a reboot, it's more than likely a BIOS/UEFI issue (flash it to the latest version) equally it could be a dud pendrive.

Yes, i found that info in a specific Asrock Q1900 mobo section:

going in the BIOS and put "Enabled" instead of "Automatic" on the USB 3.0

Thnks!

First, great work on the loader. I was waiting for nick to get his together, but that seems to be on the elongated release schedule.

I've been able to get it running using the 3617 version on my Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O Xeon D-1521 board and a LSI 9211-8i controller. All hardware seems to be running happily.

The big issue is that it runs, and i've been able to transfer data to it on the 10G line (which seems to run slower than the 5.x version tbh). But sometimes the service just dies, and i'm met with the "Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found." after it was working fine. I SSH in, and the volume is still there, its just like the service died for the web. And if I reboot, it just gives that to me going forward and my /volume1 only has @database in it.. no more files. before the reboot, the controller shows the raid is fine, and i ran the scrubbing, and it was fine. SSH still works.

The only way I've been able to recover it is to pull the drives out, reboot the nas, put them back in after it boots up, then reinstall 6.1, and the volume is there with all the data.

I have seen that it complains about the old reported issues 'we've detected errors on disks 3,4,5 etc. like Hostillan mentioned in his post (i'll try to work that around some). I'm pretty sure I dont have the satahostmap right. I'm using a SSD on the Intel board (6 ports), then drives 7,8,9,10,11,12 on the LSI bnoard (8 ports). and booting from USB 3.0, which works every time.

my grub.cfg:

set extra_args_3617=''

set common_args_3617='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3617xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet'

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0'

Any help is appreciated because i'd love to run the new hardware on my 10G ether as my 415+ only has 1G and I do a lot of VM work and wanted to use this as my iSCSI drive. I know when it works, using 5.x, i was getting 800-1000 MB/sec transfer rates reliably.

Thanks!

Strange.

Why we need to format the first linux raid ?

Did you check the ping over the network ? Or just web interface ??

Did you use 1.02a from Jun or Trantor release ?

I tried all of the three 1.02a images on mega.nz. Are there more available with AMD driver package?

Non of the Images worked with my N40L so far. There was no Network-Connection for sure. I checked the port on my switch and also the ARP-Table.

Because the System was stuck with 6.1 on loader 1.01 and 1.02 not working, I had to format the first partition to downgrade from 6.1 to 6.0 because he just offered me to recover the system which did not work. A reinstallation or forced installation was not possible on the N40L as I've described before.

Hum.

Personnaly, my netgear saw the NAS and DHCP give an IP address.

But nothing after...

Thanks you.

Maybe it will be better to install ESxi on N40L and after Xpenology :grin:

so far so good with my transition/upgrade from NAS4Free to XPEnolgy 6.1 "3615" on my E3-1220v3/16GB. I added an extra drive for a total of 5x 4TB, two 120GB SSDs instead of previous 1x 60GB, and an LSI 9211 IT mode without bios. Idle before was ~48 watts, with the extra hardware its gone up only 14 watts.

First, great work on the loader. I was waiting for nick to get his together, but that seems to be on the elongated release schedule.

I've been able to get it running using the 3617 version on my Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O Xeon D-1521 board and a LSI 9211-8i controller. All hardware seems to be running happily.

The big issue is that it runs, and i've been able to transfer data to it on the 10G line (which seems to run slower than the 5.x version tbh). But sometimes the service just dies, and i'm met with the "Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found." after it was working fine. I SSH in, and the volume is still there, its just like the service died for the web. And if I reboot, it just gives that to me going forward and my /volume1 only has @database in it.. no more files. before the reboot, the controller shows the raid is fine, and i ran the scrubbing, and it was fine. SSH still works.

The only way I've been able to recover it is to pull the drives out, reboot the nas, put them back in after it boots up, then reinstall 6.1, and the volume is there with all the data.

I have seen that it complains about the old reported issues 'we've detected errors on disks 3,4,5 etc. like Hostillan mentioned in his post (i'll try to work that around some). I'm pretty sure I dont have the satahostmap right. I'm using a SSD on the Intel board (6 ports), then drives 7,8,9,10,11,12 on the LSI bnoard (8 ports). and booting from USB 3.0, which works every time.

my grub.cfg:

set extra_args_3617=''

set common_args_3617='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3617xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet'

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0'

Any help is appreciated because i'd love to run the new hardware on my 10G ether as my 415+ only has 1G and I do a lot of VM work and wanted to use this as my iSCSI drive. I know when it works, using 5.x, i was getting 800-1000 MB/sec transfer rates reliably.

Thanks!

I have exactly same issue with you.

Thanks!

Hi i had some issue with loader 1.02 and dsm 6 DS3615XS i have one dual port intel x540 10Gb card, and i had to hack /etc/modules.conf to eliminate max_vfs param from loading driver ( ixgbe ) but stiil have a issue, even without parameter driver don't work, so i have to stop networking services ( /etc/rc.network stop )

Unload driver ( rmmod ixgbe ) reload driver without any param ( insmod /lib/modules/ixgbe.ko ) restart network services ( /etc/rc.network start )

Only after these tricks can use 10 gb card, but i hit only 400 Mbyte/sec transfer via iSCSI lun mapped from HP Gen 8 server and my windows box , mechanical to mechanical disk.

SataPortMap=244

SataPortMap=424

lsscsi --hosts

too.

Thanks for the info..

I'm just using an old Dell desktop to test the release - which has definitely only got 2 Sata ports (and two drives connected) - so I guess it's going to be 2 anyway..

When I go to use it on my main NAS system - probably when it's out of Alpha - it's probably going to be slightly different (it has 6 sata ports)..

My point, I guess, was that I don't think this sataportmap command was being used at all in the original grub.cfg. I couldnt see where the sata_args list was called, so I moved sataportmap from it and into the common_args list (I could see where this was called). The sataportmap setting was present in older versions of the grub.cfg and it was the cause of my previous issues in 6.0.1...

#H

Might be, as it was said before, the 1.0.2 loader is still an alpha.

Before you install on your main NAS, make sure to check the mobo info, so your SataPortMap matches it. It will most probably be 42, unless there's only the onboard controller, driving all 6 ports (in which case you need to use SataPortMap=6).

Might be, as it was said before, the 1.0.2 loader is still an alpha.

Before you install on your main NAS, make sure to check the mobo info, so your SataPortMap matches it. It will most probably be 42, unless there's only the onboard controller, driving all 6 ports (in which case you need to use SataPortMap=6).

Does this mean someone such as myself only using the first two onboard SATA ports should set SataPortMap to 2? I notice when I fist went to install it I had ports 3-6 disabled in the bios and it complained that there was a problem with drives 3,4,5,6. So I just re-enabled all the extra on-board SATA ports and it was happy. It looks funny in the drive map to have 1-2 "onboard SATA" and 7-11 "LSI ports" active

Hi all,

I am running the loader for DSM6.0.2 (update 9) with Jun's loader and it runs fine for me, but there is one thing I can't seem to find how to fix.

I can set the CPU scaling to "ondemand" and it will scale back my (4) cores from 3200 to 1600. (Intel i3 3220).

However, after less than a day, it switches back to "performance" without any action, reset or tasks...

Anyone any pointers where I can set the CPU governor so that it keeps the setting?

Thanks for the help.

Hi all,

I am running the loader for DSM6.0.2 (update 9) with Jun's loader and it runs fine for me, but there is one thing I can't seem to find how to fix.

I can set the CPU scaling to "ondemand" and it will scale back my (4) cores from 3200 to 1600. (Intel i3 3220).

However, after less than a day, it switches back to "performance" without any action, reset or tasks...

Anyone any pointers where I can set the CPU governor so that it keeps the setting?

Thanks for the help.

Look here. I am all right works.

Thanks Trantor for V1.02alpha.

I can confirm it is working bare metal on ASUS C60M1-I with AMD Fusion APU C-60. Network card is Realtek 8111F.

System is running with DSM 6.1-15047-1 Raid1 Btrfs. I was able to perform the automatic update 1 and rebooted without issue afterwards.

Prior to this I was running Version: 6.0.2-8451-8 on this same system without issue.

Thanks Trantor for V1.02alpha.

I can confirm it is working bare metal on ASUS C60M1-I with AMD Fusion APU C-60. Network card is Realtek 8111F.

System is running with DSM 6.1-15047-1 Raid1 Btrfs. I was able to perform the automatic update 1 and rebooted without issue afterwards.

Prior to this I was running Version: 6.0.2-8451-8 on this same system without issue.

What version of the loader was used, 3615, or 3617?

Where is wrong?

DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01

My motherboard is ASRock J4205-ITX

ASMedia ASM1061:Enabled

SataPortMap=22

intel SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors will appear slow to read(50-55M/s), write ok(100M/s)

when ASMedia ASM1061:Disabled

intel SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors is ok。 Read and write can reach 100M

so I bought a new controller Marvell 9215,(ASMedia ASM1061:Disabled)

SataPortMap=24

Or the same problem ,intel SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors will appear slow to read

Who can help me?

Thank you for everyone