XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Wouldn't it be better to open a new thread for Juns New DSM6.1 Development build? I have a feeling that a few people are going to get confused when both are being discussed in the same thread. Someone is going to end up in a world of hurt as a result imho. Plus this is already a long mature thread which is probably already difficult for newer users to wade through. Mixing 6.1 information is going to make it a much more difficult task and potentially generate loads of unnecessary support requests for the community to deal with. :eek: That's my two cents.

P.S. Thanks to Jun for his continued efforts and his 6.1 test release, which I look forward testing when time permits and early adopters (crazy folk) submit their reports.

I've tried migrating to the new alpha, but got this error instead:

"We've detected errors on the hard drives (6), and the SATA ports have also been disabled.

Please shut down your DS3615xs to replace or remove the hard drives and try again."

I'm using the same SATA configuration as 6.0.2 loader (SataPortMap=4), and I also tried SataPortMap=1, SataPortMap=5 and SataPortMap=6.

No luck.

I´ll try again later today using the forced mode.

Faced the same issue - tried forced mode and seems everything went well :smile:

Hi, All.

I have Baremetal Intel 5500PSL / 4x 2Tb onboard SATA / XPEnoboot 5.2-5967.1.

Try to upgrade to 6.0.2 loader. Make new boot flash USB, enter vid & pid, but do the big mistake: accidentally upload DSM_DS3615xs_15047.

Then, WebAssistant ask me again and againg: "Welcome back!" and show "Recover" button.

I'm try all other boot option in grub menu, but nothing happens.

Now, I conducted an experiment: make "clean" install with new USB boot drive and new HDD. Upload DSM_DS3615xs_8451 and All is work.

But I steel need my old HDD with my old data.

What can I do now, that would not lose the information on the old HDDs? :sad:

Clean OP, add link to Pokanskiman's tutorial and add download mirror.

DMS 6.1 uses updated kernel (3.10.102).

The kernel sources for 6.0.2 (3.10.77) has not been released yet so don't hope anything from Syno before months.

Like before no sources = no loader

jun's v1.01 loader CAN'T support DSM 6.1 so DO NOT UPGRADE !

I've rebased the vendor changes on 3.10.77 to 3.10.102, seems still works.

jun your are the MAN :mrgreen:

Next step is I think to troubleshoot the network issue on some system that "prevent" network driver to load at boot.

How can I (or the community) help you to debug ?

How do you display/access the early boot stage without serial console ?

Hi Trantor,

I noted you included a list of supported hardware.

I checked that my network card, Intel 82576 is on the list but I am experiencing the following on attempting to use the following bootloaders:

A. Jun's 6.0.0 : network light blinks but no local IP found

B. Jun's 6.0.2 : network light blinks, then goes out. No local IP found

C. Jun's 6.1-alpha - network light blinks continuously. Local IP found. Able to install DSM 6.2 . Pat file.6.2 accepted.Sytem reboot unsuccessful. Had to manually press reset button to reboot. Boot up is ok. In DSM 6.1, system Does not respond

To power related commands from within DSM 6.1, like restart or shutdown.

Do you know how I can solve any of the above issues?

I tried with force install and it worked, but now, every time my machine boots, this error comes up...

jtdUCAS.jpg

Any ideas?

Same error over here too after each reboot. As a matter of fact, found that on the 6.0.2 the SSD (500GB) 200 of used space after upgrading to 6.1 it shows that 254GB used space - seems like 54Gb puff gone :ugeek:

Is that the case on your Nas too ?

I tried with force install and it worked, but now, every time my machine boots, this error comes up...

jtdUCAS.jpg

Any ideas?

Same error over here too after each reboot. As a matter of fact, found that on the 6.0.2 the SSD (500GB) 200 of used space after upgrading to 6.1 it shows that 254GB used space - seems like 54Gb puff gone :ugeek:

Not really. All my pre existing volumes maintained the same used/free space ratio, and my SSD that I use as cache it's working properly and with the correct size/space available.

Anyone has any tips on debugging this issue?

jtdUCAS.jpg

Any ideas?

On my test system I had the hard drives setup as AHCI and when I would boot up on jun's v1.02-alpha loader the system would come up and give me an error message regarding my hard drives. The message stated problems encountered with the hard drives and the sata ports were disabled. I have 4 hard drives so I changed SataPortMap=1 to SataPortMap=4. Same results after another reboot. I was able to install DSM 6.1-15047 with a forced install. The install was successful but each time I rebooted, I received the same error message as you. "The system has detected one or more crashed storage spaces." I also received the same error message on each reboot after creating a volume.

So in testing I changed the hard drive setup to IDE. When the system booted there were no hard drive errors. I was able to do a normal install, not forced. After the install, the error message "The system has detected one or more crashed storage spaced." went away. I was able to create a volume. Now on each reboot no errors.

I know on jun's v1.01 loader the hard drives needed to be setup on AHCI. I don't know why on my test system the hard drives needed to be in IDE mode vice AHCI for the normal install.

jtdUCAS.jpg

Any ideas?

Not really. All my pre existing volumes maintained the same used/free space ratio, and my SSD that I use as cache it's working properly and with the correct size/space available.

If you have a look at grub.cfg, notice that "Force Install" entry has a extra argument "syno_port_thaw=1", that is the option to prevent kernel complaining disk disabled problems, you may want to add this option to normal boot menu entry to see if it helps.

jun wrote:

jun wrote:

If you have a look at grub.cfg, notice that "Force Install" entry has a extra argument "syno_port_thaw=1", that is the option to prevent kernel complaining disk disabled problems, you may want to add this option to normal boot menu entry to see if it helps.

jun, I made the change to the grub.cfg file. I added "syno_port_thaw=1" to the normal boot menu. I changed my drives from IDE back to AHCI. I was able to perform a normal boot without drive errors. I was able to perform a normal install. On all reboots after the install I still get the following error message "The system has detected one or more crashed storage spaces .... "

Any other suggestions?

Do You use SHR1 or 2?

What i have to do.

1. Update to 6.1 and than update the loader

Or

2. Update the loader und update than to 6.1 ?

I have tried Raid 5 and SHR1. To use SHR, I had to modify /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf because I did a clean install with empty disks. If you are on DSM 6.02 then to try the new loader you need to do 2. Update the loader and update to 6.1. This is an experimental boot loader, so use it at your own risk. Make sure you back up your data.

im wondering how is everyone able to do the incremental updates? I had version 5 till i broke my box. now im finding out that with win32disk imager once the image is written the Alpha version i cannot edit the grub file because its not visable within windows explorer only partition master can see the usb key which i cant assign a drive letter. can someone tell me what the f*** is going on?? the arcao jun file was fine from october???. but the alpha one i cant make the necessary changes...

HP Gen8 with integrated dual nic

Upgrade is working but no network after reboot...

I connect to my Gen8 with iLO VSP (iLO Virtual Serial Port) and I found that there are 2 file missing from /lib/modules after upgrade: libphy.ko and tg3.ko

I have found these two files under /lib/modules/update so I copied them under /lib/modules (don't forget to chmod 644 them) and reboot... now network is working again.

I think, as Jun's said, there's something related to update script to fix... but, as other said, clean install work.

Ciao

ema

im wondering how is everyone able to do the incremental updates? I had version 5 till i broke my box. now im finding out that with win32disk imager once the image is written the Alpha version i cannot edit the grub file because its not visable within windows explorer only partition master can see the usb key which i cant assign a drive letter. can someone tell me what the f*** is going on?? the arcao jun file was fine from october???. but the alpha one i cant make the necessary changes...

I would be surprised if you could see the files from WIndows Explorer. I used OSFMount to mount the image as per the tutorial referenced here http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216

HP Gen8 with integrated dual nic

Upgrade is working but no network after reboot...

I connect to my Gen8 with iLO VSP (iLO Virtual Serial Port) and I found that there are 2 file missing from /lib/modules after upgrade: libphy.ko and tg3.ko

I have found these two files under /lib/modules/update so I copied them under /lib/modules (don't forget to chmod 644 them) and reboot... now network is working again.

I think, as Jun's said, there's something related to update script to fix... but, as other said, clean install work.

Ciao

ema

Hi,

How do you connect to the VSP?

I connect to my Gen8 with iLO VSP (iLO Virtual Serial Port)

Do you have any info on getting that to work? I tried it the other day and failed, so assumed it wasn't supported by XPE.

Reboot your gen8 and enter bios (F9).

If I remeber well you must disable BIOS serial console, because if you don't do it, when you launch VSP you will see gen8's bios console...

Select "BIOS serial console & EMS" >> "BIOS Serial console port" and disable it.

Now go to "System Options" >> "Serial Port Options" >> "Virtual Serial Port" >> I have enabled "COM1;IRQ4;3F8h-3FFh"

Now exit Bios utility and reboot.

Be sure to enable SSH access in iLO (Adrministration >> Access Setting)

Now open an SSH session to ilo ip

unknown:~ ema$ ssh 10.0.0.100
ema@10.0.0.100's password: 
User:ema logged-in to ILOXXXXXXXXXX.local(10.0.0.100 / XXXX::XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX)

iLO Advanced 2.50 at  Sep 23 2016
Server Name: gen8.lan
Server Power: On

>hpiLO->    

...and at ilo prompt you must launch VSP.

Now restart DSM and you can see serial output and prompt login...

>hpiLO-> VSP

Virtual Serial Port Active: COM1

Starting virtual serial port.
Press 'ESC (' to return to the CLI Session.

gen8 login: 

PS sometimes I can't write anything via serial console, but I don't know why...

EDIT

ok, I figured it out... you must press return during post to activate serial console...

Ciao

ema

jtdUCAS.jpg

Any ideas?

Any update on this? I tried it with editing the grub.cfg with syno_port_thaw=1 but still got the same error about Disks crashing. DS3617xs Image. Disk Manager shows everything is alright tho. ^^

Edit: Even without any partitioned disks, i've got the same error btw.