XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Just migrated one of my "test" bare metal boxes from jun's v1.01 loader running 6.02-8451 Update 9 to jun's v1.02-Alpha loader running 6.1-15047. Migration to DSM 6.1-15047 completed without error. Testing of packages begins.

Thanks jun.

Hi, is there a step by step to the migration u did, i would like to migrate. I use to clean install running now jun's 1.01 loader dsm 6.02-8451 Update 9.

thanx in advanced ..

Clean OP, add link to Pokanskiman's tutorial and add download mirror.

DMS 6.1 uses updated kernel (3.10.102).

The kernel sources for 6.0.2 (3.10.77) has not been released yet so don't hope anything from Syno before months.

Like before no sources = no loader

jun's v1.01 loader CAN'T support DSM 6.1 so DO NOT UPGRADE !

I've rebased the vendor changes on 3.10.77 to 3.10.102, seems still works.

jun your are the MAN :mrgreen:

Next step is I think to troubleshoot the network issue on some system that "prevent" network driver to load at boot.

How can I (or the community) help you to debug ?

How do you display/access the early boot stage without serial console ?

Just migrated one of my "test" bare metal boxes from jun's v1.01 loader running 6.02-8451 Update 9 to jun's v1.02-Alpha loader running 6.1-15047. Migration to DSM 6.1-15047 completed without error. Testing of packages begins.

Thanks jun.

Hi, is there a step by step to the migration u did, i would like to migrate. I use to clean install running now jun's 1.01 loader dsm 6.02-8451 Update 9.

thanx in advanced ..

I believe there have been others who have written tutorials on migration. Polanskiman has written an excellent migration guide taking you from 5.2 to 6.0. The general idea is the same going from 6.0 to 6.1. http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100 Please read his turorial. It is an excellent guide.

This is just a quick summary of what I did to perform the migration.

1. I created a new boot thumb drive using jun's v1.02-Alpha loader. I won't go into detail but this means you need to update the vid, pid, s/n, mac, etc. in the grub.cfg file.

2. I powered down the "test" bare metal box that was running jun's v1.01 loader and DSM 6.02-8451 Update 9.

3. I powered up the "test" bare metal box with the thumb drive I created in step 1.

4. After powering up, you can use either Synology Assistant or "find.synology.com" to find your system. If your system is not found then jun's v1.02-Alpha loader doesn't contain a driver for your network card. Go back to your original thumb drive containing jun's v1.01 loader, boot from it and you should be back to DSM 6.02-8451.

5. If your system is found and you are connected via a web browser, you will be presented with a screen which will step you through the migration of updating the DSM that is installed on your hard drives.

6. After following the instructions, DSM 6.1 will be downloaded from Synology and your system will reboot.

7. When it comes up, you should be on DSM 6.1-15047

Caveat, YMMV, my "test" box has an intel cpu and legacy bios, jun's v1.02 - Alpha Loader had the driver for my network card.

Important: Backup your data before trying.

Thanks jun.

thanx in advanced ..

I believe there have been others who have written tutorials on migration. Polanskiman has written an excellent migration guide taking you from 5.2 to 6.0. The general idea is the same going from 6.0 to 6.1. http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100 Please read his turorial. It is an excellent guide.

This is just a quick summary of what I did to perform the migration.

1. I created a new boot thumb drive using jun's v1.02-Alpha loader. I won't go into detail but this means you need to update the vid, pid, s/n, mac, etc. in the grub.cfg file.

2. I powered down the "test" bare metal box that was running jun's v1.01 loader and DSM 6.02-8451 Update 9.

3. I powered up the "test" bare metal box with the thumb drive I created in step 1.

4. After powering up, you can use either Synology Assistant or "find.synology.com" to find your system. If your system is not found then jun's v1.02-Alpha loader doesn't contain a driver for your network card. Go back to your original thumb drive containing jun's v1.01 loader, boot from it and you should be back to DSM 6.02-8451.

5. If your system is found and you are connected via a web browser, you will be presented with a screen which will step you through the migration of updating the DSM that is installed on your hard drives.

6. After following the instructions, DSM 6.1 will be downloaded from Synology and your system will reboot.

7. When it comes up, you should be on DSM 6.1-15047

Caveat, YMMV, my "test" box has an intel cpu and legacy bios, jun's v1.02 - Alpha Loader had the driver for my network card.

Important: Backup your data before trying.

Tahnx alot for your fast reply and clearing things up for me - looking into it now :smile:

Hi.

Just opgraded my test server, to 6.1 (Intel S1200BTL Board), Network working fine, and also, Jumbo Frames works perfect, it didn't work on 1.0.1. Very happy about it working now :smile: now I can try Clustering.

I also have issue with Broadcom Nic's, don't show up in DSM

Thanks for your great work June.

Anyone able to point me to a step by step guide to install 6.1 as a VM in VMware using the new bootloader?

Just create standard linux VM and add synology.vmdk as 1st hdd. I had to do nothing more than that to run it on ESXI 6. On VM start you need to choose ESXI option from grub

Clean OP, add link to Pokanskiman's tutorial and add download mirror.

DMS 6.1 uses updated kernel (3.10.102).

The kernel sources for 6.0.2 (3.10.77) has not been released yet so don't hope anything from Syno before months.

Like before no sources = no loader

jun's v1.01 loader CAN'T support DSM 6.1 so DO NOT UPGRADE !

I've rebased the vendor changes on 3.10.77 to 3.10.102, seems still works.

jun your are the MAN :mrgreen:

Next step is I think to troubleshoot the network issue on some system that "prevent" network driver to load at boot.

How can I (or the community) help you to debug ?

How do you display/access the early boot stage without serial console ?

Based on my unintentionally migration from ds3615xs to ds3617sx, and feedbacks from this forum, I guess some drivers are not correctly updated in the rootfs, thus caused network failure, a clean installation does not suffer from this problem.

I use VM to do preliminary test, does not have the luxury to test on baremetals.

As before, I do not have much time to build and test drivers, if developers and users can help in these area, then more hardware will be supported.

Quck update...

1.02Alpha doesn't support LSI 2xxx cards - it never boots after initial installation; remove the card and you get the "please install harddrives" message.

I was wrong - after using the OVF download in another thread - everything is perfect.

this was an user error (mine).

If there's any critique to be had about this site, it would have to be that it's rather chaotic. :smile: This OVF, I'm sure you found it somewhere, but not in any place obvious (like the start-post). Would be nice if the powers that be were a little more systematic about all of this. Now, flame away! :smile:

Tried upgrading my test machine with new loader 1.02 alpha. First boot it say migrable, did the migration and now it goes in bootloop, i can see the loader, then starting the loader, 2 seconds and it reboot the pc

I am beginning to think case like this, if you still had your old loader 1.01 with you, you could still boot with 1.01 and have your DSM 6 working like before the upgrade. Someone please confirm if my thought is right, otherwise I think it is fair to say it is safe to try upgrading. cheers

Tried upgrading my test machine with new loader 1.02 alpha. First boot it say migrable, did the migration and now it goes in bootloop, i can see the loader, then starting the loader, 2 seconds and it reboot the pc

I am beginning to think case like this, if you still had your old loader 1.01 with you, you could still boot with 1.01 and have your DSM 6 working like before the upgrade. Someone please confirm if my thought is right, otherwise I think it is fair to say it is safe to try upgrading. cheers

SOLVED!

1. During installing the usb loader went corrupted (tried twice). So after install you had to clean the usb drive(all partition) and reflash image.

2. Upgrade not work. so the only working route is to choose clean install (data folder are not deleted, you only have to rejoin domain or recreate user and assign permission. App are lost instead)

I've tried migrating to the new alpha, but got this error instead:

"We've detected errors on the hard drives (6), and the SATA ports have also been disabled.

Please shut down your DS3615xs to replace or remove the hard drives and try again."

I'm using the same SATA configuration as 6.0.2 loader (SataPortMap=4), and I also tried SataPortMap=1, SataPortMap=5 and SataPortMap=6.

No luck.

I´ll try again later today using the forced mode.

Offtopic (like a lot in this thread :grin::grin: ):

Do we have some kind of mods here in the forum? A DSM6.1 loader would be a good start for a new thread, isn't it?. The devs and the loaders are awesome, but the forum discipline is a mess. A more structured approach with the forum would also reduce the flood of noob questions over and over again. BTW: I am also one of them... :roll:

I will not be able to contribute something to the loader sources, but if you need support with the forum management, I would help for sure!

Edited by Guest

Offtopic (like a lot in this thread :grin::grin: ):

Do we have some kind of mods here in the forum? A DSM6.1 loader would be a good start for a new thread, isn't it?. The devs and the loaders are awesome, but the forum discipline is a mess. A more structured approach with the forum would also reduce the food of noob questions over and over again. BTW: I am also one of them... :roll:

I will not be able to contribute something to the loader sources, but if you need support with the forum management, I would help for sure!

^^ Where's that Upvote button when you need it?! :smile:

Seriously, this is precisely what I was saying earlier today. This forum is full of very talented programmers, but it's often very hard to find anything. I had to call a friend, the other day, to ask what image we used again was, and he was like "Remember, it was in thread X, page Y, Z post from the top?!" It's gotten a little better, as some things have been moved to the start-post. Still, there are all these different threads going on, all relevant in there own way. Like that OVF mentioned earlier: I'm sure it's in some of the other threads; but yeah, would be nice if we had some forum manager add a wee bit of sctructure to it all. :smile:

SOLVED!

1. During installing the usb loader went corrupted (tried twice). So after install you had to clean the usb drive(all partition) and reflash image.

2. Upgrade not work. so the only working route is to choose clean install (data folder are not deleted, you only have to rejoin domain or recreate user and assign permission. App are lost instead)

Your apps are only not installed, all your data is still there, if you backup the @appstore folder before you reinstall your apps, you can copy back the var folder to retain settings.

SOLVED!

Your apps are only not installed, all your data is still there, if you backup the @appstore folder before you reinstall your apps, you can copy back the var folder to retain settings.

That is a good tip! :smile: Thanks.