XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

I was lucky to downgrade from 6.1 to 6.0 U9. It is not so hard as it seems. Maybe tomorrow I'll provide a guide, but now I'm falling asleep.

Yes please do enlighten us on your procedure as I am getting the uneasy feeling that many people will start updating to 6.1 and then start crying like babies.

I am currently advising this method viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13288 by adapting the version numbers but since I haven't tried it myself I can vouch for that.

And if they do, they only have themselves to blame. I got no sympathy for 90% of the lazy community here that cannot even be bother to make a cursory Google search for ANYTHING.

I was lucky to downgrade from 6.1 to 6.0 U9. It is not so hard as it seems. Maybe tomorrow I'll provide a guide, but now I'm falling asleep.

Yes please do enlighten us on your procedure as I am getting the uneasy feeling that many people will start updating to 6.1 and then start crying like babies.

I am currently advising this method viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13288 by adapting the version numbers but since I haven't tried it myself I can vouch for that.

And if they do, they only have themselves to blame. I got no sympathy for 90% of the lazy community here that cannot even be bother to make a cursory Google search for ANYTHING.

Sure I agree its true they have to blame themselves, but its no so black white as you say. Update 9 was also mentioned here by few that they upgraded and was successful. I'm also on U9 but after a while Polanskiman reported that its better to stay at U8 because there are some issues with U9. But see thats the problem some report it works and others start to upgrade so its never failsafe because not everything can be tested. And you didn't make a mistake in your life? And was that mistake not searchable by Google? I'm always a little bit cautious with targeting people to be stupid without google searching.

Sure I agree its true they have to blame themselves, but its no so black white as you say. Update 9 was also mentioned here by few that they upgraded and was successful. I'm also on U9 but after a while Polanskiman reported that its better to stay at U8 because there are some issues with U9. But see thats the problem some report it works and others start to upgrade so its never failsafe because not everything can be tested. And you didn't make a mistake in your life? And was that mistake not searchable by Google? I'm always a little bit cautious with targeting people to be stupid without google searching.

There is a difference between update 9 and DSM 6.1. The announcement I made for update 9 was a recommendation following reports of people being unable to reboot their boxes. It was merely a recommendation since some people (and myself included) were able to apply update 9 without major problems. On the other hand DSM 6.1 is a entirely different thing. I did not issue a recommendation; I issued a clear "NO GO, danger zone, hell broke loose waning". Update to DSM 6.1 and you WILL have a bricked box permanently unless you are able to revert to DSM 6.0.2 update 9. :ugeek:

Hopefully Jun will update the loader once the source code of DMS 6.1 is out, or someone else is able to come with a new loader, who knows. For now people, STAY on DSM 6.0.2 Update 9. DO NO update to DSM 6.1

Edited by Guest

Clean OP, add link to Pokanskiman's tutorial and add download mirror.

DMS 6.1 uses updated kernel (3.10.102).

The kernel sources for 6.0.2 (3.10.77) has not been released yet so don't hope anything from Syno before months.

Like before no sources = no loader

jun's v1.01 loader CAN'T support DSM 6.1 so DO NOT UPGRADE !

Hi and thanks for those involved in this project.

got a question my setup is ASRock Q1900-ITX with 8gb of ram and a SYBA PCI-Express SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card (Chipset: Marvell 88SE9215).

what should be the SataPortMap configuration to make the PCI-Express SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card work.

as off right now the motherboard 4 sata are full and the setup without the PCI-Express SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card is working wonderfully.

Edit:just plug the SYBA PCI-Express and did works not edits in the SataPortMap, i got it set to 4. :grin:

edit 2:after a reboot thePCI-Express SATA III does not show any more. :shock:

The kernel sources for 6.0.2 (3.10.77) has not been released yet so don't hope anything from Syno before months.

I've rebased the vendor changes on 3.10.77 to 3.10.102, seems still works.

Update for 6.1 loader at https://mega.nz/#F!18kB1BTB!1ft3N5Hnrcn ... A!5kcjyJ7R

THANKS Jun!

Hi guys,

I am keen to Install DSM 6 on my baremetal server.

my baremetal Install is currently smoothly with version 5.2 5644.

I have tried Jun's loader but the DSM's internal IP was never found so later I checked that the onboard supermicro NIC or Ethernet chipset, Intel 82576 may not have it's driver included in Jun's bootloader.

Oh man, look like I may have to either:

A. Use a stable version of 5.2 that includes my existing Ethernet chipset drivers.

OR

B. Buy a new Ethernet PCI-E card with a supported chipset and then use version 6 with Jun's bootloader.

**If I go with option B. , do I need to disable the onboard Supermicro NIC during the install?

Or will Jun's bootloader automatically detect all available NICs and use the one with supported drivers to put out DSM's internal network IP?

Any one familiar with this?

Thanks; imported the vm on esxi 6.5 and installed 6.1 wit the .pat file from synology; so far all ok, didn't test further.

Installed on a proxmox4.4 KVM host today, Howoto

Prepare

- create a new vm with 1 drive _SATA0_, 50MB, qcow2 (not virtio, not SCSI) .. lets call this VM with the id 100

- again i assume your VMID is 100 for now, replace ALL 100 strings in the commands if you have something else ( to be expected, right )

- add a e1000 network card (NOT virtio)

- download juni 6.0.2 - 1.0.1 ( https://mega.nz/#F!18kB1BTB!1ft3N5Hnrcn ... A!k5NxiIjI ) .. see the original first post for updates viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216

- unzip, convert the ESXI-base image with:

qemu-img convert synoboot.img -O qcow2 synoboot.qcow2

- copy synoboot.qcow2 s over the disk you created before in proxmox

cp synoboot.qcow2 /var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.qcow2

Now you should use passthrough to add you storage-drives, again, use SATA (not SCSI and not virtio)

- to do this use as often you have drives. Repeat this with all drives,

qm set 100 -sata1 /dev/sdb

If you have more drives

qm set 100 -sata2 /dev/sdc

(notice the sata2, for slot 2)

Installation:

- download DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat from the original sources: https://usdl.synology.com/download/DSM/ ... s_8451.pat

- do NOT use any other version for now

- Just boot the VM now, AND select "barebone" NOT Vmware/ESXI ( this will not detect your extra drive later)

- you will see "booting kernel.." an nothing more, thats all fine, use your synology assistant to install

Update:

- after the boot, go to upgrades and select "only important updates", then install update9.

- do not install 6.1 since this will for now brick your box, also with the new 6.1 - 1.0.2-alpha loader

- i had to hard-reset my VM after the first reboot on the update, but then everything worked just fine

Edited by Guest

Update for 6.1 loader at https://mega.nz/#F!18kB1BTB!1ft3N5Hnrcn ... A!5kcjyJ7R

THANKS Jun!

I can see in the grub.cfg file the AMD loader is commented out, does this mean that those using Gen7 HP Microservers have to wait a little longer? Just wanted to make sure before trying to use this.

I can see in the grub.cfg file the AMD loader is commented out, does this mean that those using Gen7 HP Microservers have to wait a little longer? Just wanted to make sure before trying to use this.

Yes, AMD loader need some extra work.

Thanks jun, will wait eagerly for that update :grin:

Awesome Jun!

having a bit of trouble! can someone please help me on this?

Just tried to reinstall the loader, at first everything seems fine, take a look...

1º boot with baremetal reinstall option

2º go http://find.synology.com and choose connect (it shows the ip mac and says migratable)

3º it says that "we've detected that the hard drives had been moved from a previous and installing a new dam is required"

4º i hit migrate and it starts to download and install

5º the system reboots and goes to the screen that says "happy hacking note: this is a alpha build.."

6º i try to find.synology.com but nothing shows up! maybe the network drivers doesn't come up? ...a the third try it went well :grin:

thanks again

Thx June for your Great work. The new bootloader recover my data and works with the dsm 6.1 on our hp gen8.

Best wishes, Tom

Hey Tom, interesting. Thats how i installed my Xpenology viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=1990#p92047

I am also using a Gen8 (though/also with Proxmox)

I have a test VM i tried the 1.0.2 alpha bootloader with, but actually i could never discover it with the synology assistent ( network card issue ) - so basically e1000 is not working probably, i do not exactly know.

What setup do you have with 6.1 / 1.0.2?

Dear Jun,

I checked that my onboard supermicro NIC or Ethernet chipset, Intel 82576 may not have it's driver included in the 1.01 version of your bootloader.

To install DSM, would you suggest that I either:

A. Use a stable version of 5.2 that includes my existing Ethernet chipset drivers?

OR

B. Buy a new Ethernet PCI-E card with a supported chipset and then use version 6 with version 1.01 of your bootloader?

**If I go with option B. , do I need to disable the onboard Supermicro NIC during the install?

Or will your bootloader automatically detect all available NICs and use the one with supported drivers to put out DSM's internal network IP?

I do a test.

Migration from a 6.0 (quicknick) to 6.1 (Jun's 1.02) ...

Migration, installation in manual mode of the file "DSM_DS3615xs_15047.pat"

Install OK

Reboot OK

Loggin to DSM OK

Volume EXT4 raid 5 (5x 500GB HDD) OK

Data saved OK

SHIFT apps OK

Everything is ok for me ...

Attention passing from SurveillanceStation to 8.0.1-5128

Patch not available for this version it seems to me ...

Yes, AMD loader need some extra work.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Personally, I'm not so brave, so I think I'll wait another week or so. :smile: But, dumb question, perhaps, I haven't upgraded yet. So, will I be able to take your new loader, later on, and boot my old 6.0.9 install with it, and then do the Upgrade? Otherwise (if your new loader only supported 6.1), we'd have a chicken-and-the-egg situation.