XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

@Ziomalsky :

I could upgrade an ESXI to 6.1 with no problem (download from Synology site).

The underlying server is a Dell T130 (low end config).

I never use XPEnology on a barebone computer...

Failed on VMware Workstation 12.0.1

After the 6.1 upgrade, the Web console say the harddisk is moved to DS3615xs and ask me to recover (loop)

Both upgrade and new install failed in the same way

I'm on an R710 with passthrough H200 running under ESXi 6.5, and i have the exact same issue.

the same here.

i was on a snapshot so i revert back :smile:

Yes! You're right! Sorry for my misleading post...

After the upgrade and reboot of the system all seemed to be right for a day or two.

But then, when a new reboot was done I came across the same error : the DSM still starts but needs a recover and loops indefinitely on that step...

Happily this happens on a test VM ; so recovery is not a problem.

Apologies...

Happily this happens on a test VM ; so recovery is not a problem.

What are you guys talking about?! Unless you're using ESXi without a pass-thru array, reverting to snapshot is not going to do any good.

I use LSI 9207-8i passthrough

Hence, that's what I don't understand. :smile: The DSM Upgrade is going to take place on your pass-thru disks, whereas a VM snapshot does not include your array. So, how would a 'revert to snapshot' undo the Upgrade then?!

Does anyone know how to get quick connect working? I'm using it on ESXi

You need to mount the vmdk r/w and modify the config file with matching SN/MAC. The exact path is somewhere in the thread (towards the begging).

Here is a link to get a matching SN/MAC: http://quickconnector.orgfree.com/index.php

EDIT: Syslinux.cfg, i believe it is in the etc folder

You need to mount the vmdk r/w and modify the config file with matching SN/MAC. The exact path is somewhere in the thread (towards the begging).

Here is a link to get a matching SN/MAC: http://quickconnector.orgfree.com/index.php

Searching now, and going to burn down the VM. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks

I'm using ESXi 6.5 with June's loader and LSI 9207-8i passthrough. After the stupid upgrade from DSM 6.0.2 U9 to DSM 6.1 I've got Recovery loop state. Now I need to downgrade as I need my data to get back.

As for the downgrade from 6.1 to 5.2 I found a guide

I reconfigured the VM and added XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5967.1.vmdk Now I'm able to login as root with today's default Synology password "202-1701" and I can see my disks

d4f13bdf40eft.jpg

As far as I understood from the guide I need to copy the files but I can't connect via SSH. Can someone give an advice?

Searching now, and going to burn down the VM. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks

Apparently modifying the ESXi flavor of the VMDK file by mounting and editing it is a nonstarter. Hoping I have luck with SSH to do it live and apply on reboot

Apparently modifying the ESXi flavor of the VMDK file by mounting and editing it is a nonstarter. Hoping I have luck with SSH to do it live and apply on reboot

I was lucky to downgrade from 6.1 to 6.0 U9. It is not so hard as it seems. Maybe tomorrow I'll provide a guide, but now I'm falling asleep.

Yes please do enlighten us on your procedure as I am getting the uneasy feeling that many people will start updating to 6.1 and then start crying like babies.

I am currently advising this method viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13288 by adapting the version numbers but since I haven't tried it myself I can vouch for that.

I guarantee you that it is possible, since I did it. BUT, i have failed many times before i got it to work. I think the trick was to modify the downloaded vmdk before uploading to ESXi. I think i did it in Ubuntu sude nano to open and edit. Upon writing, i think the mount crashed but the file still saved. I basically googled vdmk mount read/write and tried guides in windows/ubuntu until it worked. i wish i could give you the exact instructions but i dont remember. good luck

Where's jun when you need him for a new loader?! :razz:

Seriously, I appreciate all the work done by the coders; but yeah, it looks like I'm going to wait this one out, until an entirely new loader exists.

Boohoo, an update came out and the dev wasn't magically able to make it work in a matter of days. What were you expecting, seriously?

No need for "an entirely new loader", just wait for a loader update. Either jun or someone with the expertise will update it. It has all happened before, and will happen again. There are always people who want it done, and can get it done, and that two combined usually results in someone actually getting it done. Just be patient.

Where's jun when you need him for a new loader?! :razz:

Seriously, I appreciate all the work done by the coders; but yeah, it looks like I'm going to wait this one out, until an entirely new loader exists.

Boohoo, an update came out and the dev wasn't magically able to make it work in a matter of days. What were you expecting, seriously?

A bit of a strange reaction, don't you think?! Especially since all I really said was that I appreciate all the work done by the coders, but that it really looks like I will just need to wait a bit before a new loader comes -- OMG, the horror of saying such a thing! (Yeah, mate, that was sarcasm, in case you didn't realize it).

In fact it looks like I -- and apparently others -- have learned from last time, and have not hastily upgraded our system. That's a good thing. My current .9 install still runs fine. I can afford to wait it out. So can you.

Well I did some tests. I have here several NICs. There is no significant difference between the onboard Realtec 81111GR, intel Gigabit CT desktop adapter and HP NC 110T. All of them fluctuate between 75 / 90MBs with iperf. The onboard performs even better then the HPNC110T. From windows or OSX i get transferspeeds of about 110MBs based on SMB3. Quite okay! (I use all my disks as individual drives so no raid, all of them are "basic"). So for me there is no reason for a no buy of the j3455 except from turbo boost which would be a nice bonus if it wwas working. I enabled my onboard nic again :wink:

I am running DSM 6.0.2 on the ASRock J3455M (bare metal) and experienced some rather weird issues with the speed of the onboard Realtek RTL8111E chip.

See the full details here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25026

After throwing in the Intel PCIe NIC and disabling the onboard Realtek chip, everything worked very smoothly.

I read that topic ... this :

I noticed that when downloading a file from DSM via SMB, there is a HUGE drawback in speed when I access it via its hostname (like \\mydiskstation). Download speed ranges from <1 MB/s to ~2.5 MB/s depending on the client I run the test on. Then I use the IP address instead (like \\192.168.1.10) everything is fine and I download at full GBit speed (up to 110 MB/s).

Do you really its the realtek? :lol: This must be a hostname resolving issue. Multihomed nics / wifi?