XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Hi Jun,

thanks for your great work! I am currently trying to make your Loader running on hyper-v. I got it running with legacy networkcard and the tulip drivers, which I compiled and added to your extra-image. But the legacy networkcard only supports 100mbit so I tried to get the hyper-v network modules loaded but these need paravirtualization in the kernel, so I recompiled the kernel - now the networkcard is working but the ata_piix module causes a kernel oops and without this module the harddrives aren't recognized :roll: .

Add ata_piix support, tested on VMware and it does not crash, only complain about "Read current link speed fail", so I

assume it works :smile:, this driver requires a bit of patching to the kernel, so I include it in the package.

Here you wrote, that you added some patches to the kernel to make the ata_piix work. What did you exactly do? I think that might the reason why it isn't working anymore if I recompile the kernel.

Thanks

Have you tried to change to grub.cfg parameter indicating the configuration of the disk controllers? Parameter SataPortMap = XXX.

SataPortMap = 4 means first 4 ports of 1st controler.

SataPortMap = 44 means first 4 ports of 1st controler and first 4 ports of 2nd controler.

SataPortMap = 422 means first 4 ports of 1st controler, first 2 ports of 2nd controler and first 2 ports of 3rd controler.

All HDD should start to connect to port 0 of each controller.

Yes I waited till the first raid set expanded and then adjusted the sataportmap.....no change

as I said I looked through the boot IMG and even expanded the ram drive images (extra and regular) and I don't see a Silicon Images driver.

That is not something I could do with the old XPeneboot....I see a lot of drivers in there e.g.\usr\lib\modules\megaraid.ko, but I do not see Sata_Sil.ko.

Silicon Image chip is pretty common....the two I have one is a rosewill (newegg brand) and a SABA (Microcenter brand). They have been running under Xpenology for a long time.

Xpenology.me has it on the list / QuickNick has it on his list ........which is why I expected it to work.

I really could use it since I am running a degraded volume without it...

On the other hand I have a nice SHR/BTRFS volume running on the motherboard ports now in DSM 6

As always "it seems faster".....but I expanded a singe 3tb drive(99% full) to a 3x3tb raid5 in 12hrs and that not how I remember things working on 5.2.

thanks

rd

Hello ,

I have a big problem.

Until now everything worked (last version DSM), I can no longer launch Jun's mod V1.01

It boot on the grub then I have the various choices, being under intel I selected the first choice ...... and it is the drama the kernel no longer launches ....

https://goo.gl/photos/NE4mLjxGC18yKpfBA

I remade the usb key, another key (PID / VID etc ....) but nothing done

The SATA controller is well in AHCI ..... I understand nothing more .......

Plz Help

PS: I looked at the first page of the topic, and I could not find a solution

excuse me for my bad english

Out of desperation to try and solve a problem on a real Diskstation (different discussion for a different day), I updated my ESXi version to the 6.1 beta. As you probably guessed, it doesn't work now. It shows up in the Synology Assistant as recoverable, but that doesn't do anything. The web interface says errors were detected on the drives so they were shut down, and the SATA ports were disabled as well. Any chance I can recover from this? I don't have critical data on there, but if I can avoid losing it I'd like to.

Out of desperation to try and solve a problem on a real Diskstation (different discussion for a different day), I updated my ESXi version to the 6.1 beta. As you probably guessed, it doesn't work now. It shows up in the Synology Assistant as recoverable, but that doesn't do anything. The web interface says errors were detected on the drives so they were shut down, and the SATA ports were disabled as well. Any chance I can recover from this? I don't have critical data on there, but if I can avoid losing it I'd like to.

Have a look here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13288. It's the same process for DSM 6.0.

The VM didn't function enough to get SSH access. I wound up deleting the original virtual disk from the configuration and adding a new blank disk, and also removed the passthrough SATA controller. That allowed me to install a fresh copy of 6.0.2. I then reconnected the passthrough controller. It still booted up fully but claimed the system partition on all the passthrough disks was corrupt and offered to repair them. That was successful, and none of my data was lost. I did lose all of my apps and configurations, but that is not going to kill me.

Hi, i'm running Jun's Loader 1.01 on a HP Microserver Gen8. I've noticed that hdd are always spinning, they don't go into hibernation. Could someone tell me if is this ok or i'm missing a step? On the power setting i set hibernation for sata to 10 minutes. I've resilio sync package installed but i tried stopping it with the same problem.

Does HDD hibernation works for you?

Thanks

Hi, i'm running Jun's Loader 1.01 on a HP Microserver Gen8. I've noticed that hdd are always spinning, they don't go into hibernation. Could someone tell me if is this ok or i'm missing a step? On the power setting i set hibernation for sata to 10 minutes. I've resilio sync package installed but i tried stopping it with the same problem.

Thanks

I have the same problem, hibernation not working with 6.0.2-8451 update 8. I even reinstalled and set up a SSD as volume 1, so if a package or something needs to be loaded it doesn't need to spin up my hard drive. But it isn't going into hibernation ever.

Could we somehow monitor what is accessing the drive? Or is this a driver problem? I use WD Red 3tb.

Thanks

I have the same problem, hibernation not working with 6.0.2-8451 update 8. I even reinstalled and set up a SSD as volume 1, so if a package or something needs to be loaded it doesn't need to spin up my hard drive. But it isn't going into hibernation ever.

Could we somehow monitor what is accessing the drive? Or is this a driver problem? I use WD Red 3tb.

Are also you on HP Microserver gen8? I'm not using wd red, i'm using seagate barracuda, but with Dsm 5.2 the hybernation worked with the same hardware setup so i think the problem is not related to HDD

Thanks

My HDD are stopped after 30 minutes. When you try to access the NAS they unwind. The light indicator on the housing. I also hear it ears.

Thanks

Hi There

There are allot of services or packages that prevent hdd hibernation from occurring.

I also have a Gen8 but never saw my drives enter hibernation.

I have a real synology DS216J and it does hibernate the drives....but very rarely. Like once or twice a day maybe, sometimes not at all for 2 or 3 days.

So it depends very much on what services or packages you are using.

I found this on the Synology site which might help explain this :

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/What_stops_my_Synology_NAS_from_entering_System_Hibernation

Hi There,

i have an DELL Server and DSM 6.0.2 installed (with Jun's Loader) it's working very nice.

But i would like to boot this server without the "boot usb stick" plugged in.

Is there a option to create an "self boot" partition on the internal "Synology-RAID Disk"?

I already tried to clone the partition from the usb stick to the HDD but it doesn't work.

Thank you in advance

P.S. Sorry for repost

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28588

Hello.

Tried to figure out reading latest posts but can't find a standard answer. Is it possible to update to latest Update 9 with a HP MicroServer G8, baremetal installation, with Jun's loader? What I. fear is to lose network after applying the update.

Any recomendations? Or just stay in update 8?.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

@fb_luc

I believe you mean to write to one partition on the hdd.. I dont know how to do that.

DSM is loaded on a synology Device with USB flash drive, soldered on the motherboard, the operation system and all applications located are in special slice of the hard disk drives (on each) this method allows to increase the service life of the boot flash and increase productivity.

XPEnology is a bootloader as IMG image....

http://xpenology.me/introduction/

But if you write img to whole hdd, I think Its possible but you will get only few MB for the HDD, so you cant use it for data partition

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1221

The usb boot thing is actually make it easier to flash to new version but it still a bootloader not an OS..CMIIW

But please let me know if you find workaround to use hdd as boot disc and data partition...it certainly save 1 usb port and 1 usb stick

What about flash entire hdd and then modified the hdd using gparted from another OS...?

May be I will try it on my usb flash first or a spare hdd...just to be cautious

Edited by Guest

Thanks

Hi There

There are allot of services or packages that prevent hdd hibernation from occurring.

I also have a Gen8 but never saw my drives enter hibernation.

I have a real synology DS216J and it does hibernate the drives....but very rarely. Like once or twice a day maybe, sometimes not at all for 2 or 3 days.

So it depends very much on what services or packages you are using.

I found this on the Synology site which might help explain this :

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/What_stops_my_Synology_NAS_from_entering_System_Hibernation

I've tried stopping all services. same problem. could be a driver issue?

Hi Folks, i have a issue with IGBXE driver into Jun 1.01 Image on Gen 8 Baremetal.

It seems there is some problem with MMIO

[   15.985894] ixgbe 0000:07:00.0: SR-IOV: bus number out of range
[   15.988036] ixgbe 0000:07:00.0 (unregistered net_device): Failed to enable PCI sriov: -12
[   16.162859] ixgbe 0000:07:00.1: SR-IOV: bus number out of range
[   16.164981] ixgbe 0000:07:00.1 (unregistered net_device): Failed to enable PCI sriov: -12
[   21.064691] BTRFS: has skinny extents

As you can see it seems i don't have enough resources.

It depends from machine, or it depends from some options in kernel compilation?

many Thanks

Can you share it?

I had a TS879 pro w/e3 1225 16g ram

I imported to Qnap's VM and I failed.

Anyone success to import DSM 6 to Qnap's VM?

Hi all,

anyone tryied to import VM into QNAP Virtualization Station?

Im getting this error: (0.00/100%)\\rqemu-img: Could not open /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/VirtualPC/Syno6/DS3615xs/synoboot.vmdk: Invalid extent lines:RW 102400 VMFS synoboot.img 0# The Disk Data Base #DDBddb.adapterType = lsilogicddb.deletable = trueddb.encoding = UTF-8ddb.longContentID = 7e24a756b77e33e24ac940cc6ccf51e5ddb.thinProvisioned = 1ddb.uuid = 60 00 C2 9a ee da ca 33-df 5e 04 3f 80 55 f9 62ddb.virtualHWVersion = 10

When i create own virtual machine without importing and then try to start i get this:

(0x1) internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2016-11-13T12:42:09.320176Z qemu-system-x86_64: -drive file=/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/VirtualPC/Syno6/DS3615xs/synoboot.img,if=none,id=drive-ide0-0-0,format=qcow2,cache=writeback: Image is not in qcow2 format .

Image is not in qcow2 format?

Thanks for any suggestions, Vitek

EDIT: Figured it out...

First what is needed is to modify .vmx file, because VMware ESXi does not support HW version 12, just edit it to 11 or 10. Then there is no prolem to import it to ESXi and afterwards export OVF template. I exported it as OVA and imported do Qnap. If anyone is interrested i can share link with ova.