XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

I'm having trouble passing through (pci passthrough) my LSI 9211-8i controller (flashed to IT mode) in Proxmox 4.4. The VM boots without the controller passed through. As soon, as I want to pass it through the VM finds the controller as usual (see https://www.dropbox.com/s/kert6x8q6l48n ... 2.PNG?dl=0), but then reboots and is stuck at "Booting from Hard Disk..." (see attached screenshot).

I'm having trouble passing through (pci passthrough) my LSI 9211-8i controller (flashed to IT mode) in Proxmox 4.4. The VM boots without the controller passed through. As soon, as I want to pass it through the VM finds the controller as usual (see https://www.dropbox.com/s/kert6x8q6l48n ... 2.PNG?dl=0), but then reboots and is stuck at "Booting from Hard Disk..." (see attached screenshot).

[attachment=0]boot3.PNG[/attachment]

With DSM 5.2 it works well.

Does anyone use an LSI 9211-8i bare metal?

Was someone able to successfully pass trough the controller with Proxmox or any other hypervisor?

I got Dell H310 flashed to LSI 9211-8i it mode and mounted under proxmox for xpenology. It works without issue. Maybe try update software on raid card (i belive that 20a is newested for this card).

Hey guys does an ntfs formatted external drive works with this?

2TB ntfs when connected shows as blank in file Explorer. I can create folders in it but none will be visible. But they DO get created.

If I format as ext4. It works , but cant use it in Windows.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I got Dell H310 flashed to LSI 9211-8i it mode and mounted under proxmox for xpenology. It works without issue. Maybe try update software on raid card (i belive that 20a is newested for this card).

Could you post your VM.conf here? :grin:

What firmware for the controller are you using? I'm using P19, which should be the forelast firmware.

Maybe it was p19, i dont rember that well since i flashed it a long time ago.

About config:

#Xpenology

#DSM 6.0

#NAS

boot: c

bootdisk: ide1

cores: 2

hostpci0: 04:00

ide1: local:100/vm-100-disk-2.raw,size=1G

memory: 6144

name: HSNAS

net0: e1000=32:35:63:38:63:31,bridge=vmbr0

numa: 1

onboot: 1

ostype: l26

sata0: local:100/vm-100-disk-1.qcow2,size=32G

smbios1: uuid=82eca43c-12b6-4312-9cb6-8a4cba1c3796

sockets: 1

vga: vmware

Thanks. No idea whats the problem over here. I have a pretty similar config. The VM behaves as if it lost all boot devices after the controller is detected and the VM rebooted.

If I had the same problem with DSM 5.2 the case would be clear, but since that is still working like a charm I'm very confused.

Would be super happy if someone had a hint.

can we have more than 12 disk with this version.

each time i modify synoinfo the xpenology never restart. (i do a good modification that i see on forum but....)

thanks

i was able to get 20 drives (all scsi with 2 controller in my vm) but now i see the 50 mo (in sata) one in the panel of disk when i want to create some raid group.

any help ?

thanks

can we have more than 12 disk with this version.

each time i modify synoinfo the xpenology never restart. (i do a good modification that i see on forum but....)

thanks

i was able to get 20 drives (all scsi with 2 controller in my vm) but now i see the 50 mo (in sata) one in the panel of disk when i want to create some raid group.

any help ?

thanks

I found a solution, i change sata drive to ide drive, now i can see 24 drives in dsm the 25th is the ide one and it is not on the list :smile:

Hi there

i run two XPen 6.0.2 Jun loader update 9 VMs on Proxmox without any problem , for one of them , i mounted synoboot.img then modified the config file to update both SN & MAC Address to avoid conflict : both VMs are seen as distinct with DS Assistant from a third VM

However i met this issue : i log on first VM then as soon as i log on second VM then i am automatically logged of the first one and vice versa

is someone else have same problem ?

any ideas on how to solve this ?

Thanks

XT

EDIT : solved on using private browsing , so root cause should be cookie

EDIT 2 : this issue does not happen with reverse proxy

As of yet, I have been UNABLE to get any of these suggested DSM 6 solutions working in any way, on ESXi 5.5, 6, or 6.5. I have no issues with the 5x versions though.

I always end up with some variation of "Failed to power on virtual machine DSM 6. Unsupported or invalid disk type 2 for 'scsi0:0'. Ensure that the disk has been imported. Click here for more details. "

Has anyone developed a bootable ISO for install yet?

Is it possible to upgrade from 5.2 u4 to DSM6 without the hard drives connected? I have 5 drivers, 4x 2TB for data and 1x 500GB for packages. But one of the 2TB disks has 2 bad sectors. So if I try to upgrade with the drives attached the upgrade fails.

So what I would like to do is to do the upgrade without the 2TB drives connected and then connect them after the upgrade. Are they being recognised as a raid or are they gonna be formatted as soon as I reconnect them to the upgraded system?

As of yet, I have been UNABLE to get any of these suggested DSM 6 solutions working in any way, on ESXi 5.5, 6, or 6.5. I have no issues with the 5x versions though.

I always end up with some variation of "Failed to power on virtual machine DSM 6. Unsupported or invalid disk type 2 for 'scsi0:0'. Ensure that the disk has been imported. Click here for more details. "

Did you tried this : ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26952

try to import the disk file on the new ESXi host:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micro ... Id=1028943

Is it possible to upgrade from 5.2 u4 to DSM6 without the hard drives connected? I have 5 drivers, 4x 2TB for data and 1x 500GB for packages. But one of the 2TB disks has 2 bad sectors. So if I try to upgrade with the drives attached the upgrade fails.

So what I would like to do is to do the upgrade without the 2TB drives connected and then connect them after the upgrade. Are they being recognised as a raid or are they gonna be formatted as soon as I reconnect them to the upgraded system?

No, you can't upgrade DSM without drives installed as DSM is installed on the drives. You could get away with using another disk that isn't part of the array to upgrade to the newest DSM, reinstall the older array and let the new DSM replicate itself across the drives, this should do it without crashing the upgrade.

Has anybody had issues regarding data integrity on 6.0.2? I recently installed via this method over my FreeNAS box which has been working without any issues but wanted to give DSM a shot.

I started noticing checksum error notifications inside of DSM that I chalked up to btrfs doing it's thing. It wasn't until I went to use an .iso that it became an issue when it failed a checksum.

My immediate thought was that my data migration method might have fudged up the bits somehow so I downloaded the .iso again, hashed the file, copied up to the NAS and hashed the remote copy and noticed that it had been modified.

This got me concerned so I fired back up my 5.2 and 6.0.2 VMs and ran the same tests. Both VMs preserved the data without modifcation. I went as far as to wiping a disk group and rebuilding as an ext4 volume when sure enough the issue was still occuring.

At this point I think I've isolated to a hardware and/or driver issue. I do not believe it is the drives, as the original volume was on a different disk group. I'm running DSM 6.0.2 on a P5Q Pro LGA 775 w/ Core 2 Duo E8500 and 8GB DDR2. The NIC is an Atheros L1e, not sure off the top of my head what the SATA controller is.

I'll be rebuilding to 5.2 tonight to see if I have the same results (at this point I'm not confident in my data, but luckily I've only made minor changes since I transferred from a backup)

We are a disorganized bunch here....I have not posted in so long I forgot my login.

I had a working 5.2 with 5 drives it had been upgrade/migrated over a long time (v4 maybe) different bootloaders and even machines.

So I had a drive go bad last week and decided to move to dsm 6 at the same time as adding new drives.

These threads are so long ...it is really hard to figure out which loader has what drivers.

I followed the tutorial:

used the latest loader 1.01

edited grub.cfg before burning USB (note the thumb drive I have always used would not work / used a different one with a different vid:pid and it was fine)

edited synoinfo.conf to get back SHR, because I have to play ping pong with 5 TB of data (which I am doing now).

SO THE ONLY ISSUE is my secondary SATA controller:

It worked with xpenoboot and 5.2. Somewhere in this mess about dsm 6 it is listed as supported.

I had another laying around and tried it as well, but it turns out to need the same driver.

I looked in the boot image and I don't see it in either the main or extra ramdisk (but I never looked in there before.

I have a SiL sil3114ctu and a sil 3512 and the both seem to require module

SATA_SIL : supports Silicon Image 3112, 3114, and 3512 chips, including OEM rebadges from ATI/AMD and Adaptec.

Can anyone confirm that Sata_sil is in the loader.....and if not can I get a compiled copy.

I am running degraded volumes until I can add the extra 2 disks.

Thanks to everyone who has been pitching in....it was not real straight forward upgrade but the answers were all here!

rd

I followed the tutorial:

used the latest loader 1.01

edited grub.cfg before burning USB (note the thumb drive I have always used would not work / used a different one with a different vid:pid and it was fine)

edited synoinfo.conf to get back SHR, because I have to play ping pong with 5 TB of data (which I am doing now).

SO THE ONLY ISSUE is my secondary SATA controller:

It worked with xpenoboot and 5.2. Somewhere in this mess about dsm 6 it is listed as supported.

I had another laying around and tried it as well, but it turns out to need the same driver.

Have you tried to change to grub.cfg parameter indicating the configuration of the disk controllers? Parameter SataPortMap = XXX.

SataPortMap = 4 means first 4 ports of 1st controler.

SataPortMap = 44 means first 4 ports of 1st controler and first 4 ports of 2nd controler.

SataPortMap = 422 means first 4 ports of 1st controler, first 2 ports of 2nd controler and first 2 ports of 3rd controler.

All HDD should start to connect to port 0 of each controller.

Hi All,

Quick question, is there a vmware tools package for this edition of xpenology? I tried to search this thread for a couple keywords and I didn't see any hits, so I thought I'd ask.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Asgaroth

The old one still works perfectly