XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

Hello guys,

It's my first time trying XPEnology, I waiting this long until DSM 6 was released and stable. I see that SHR is not enabled by default, how to enable it?

I saw this post below, but I can't find the folder or how to do it. Any body can help?

Please, is there any way to make a loader that uses a version that supports SHR natively?

Maybe DS1815+ or something like that?

I am absolutely willing to test/work on to help, but I am no big linux-whiz I'm afraid...

You dont need a DS1815+ for SHR support

just edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

comment out/delete

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add

support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"

press F5 on you web browser

Hello guys,

It's my first time trying XPEnology, I waiting this long until DSM 6 was released and stable. I see that SHR is not enabled by default, how to enable it?

I saw this post below, but I can't find the folder or how to do it. Any body can help?

Please, is there any way to make a loader that uses a version that supports SHR natively?

Maybe DS1815+ or something like that?

I am absolutely willing to test/work on to help, but I am no big linux-whiz I'm afraid...

You dont need a DS1815+ for SHR support

just edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

comment out/delete

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add

press F5 on you web browser

SSH with admin

input your password

elevate rights by doing:

sudo -i

input your password again

you are now root

edit the synoinfo.conf file with vi or nano if you have it installed. I prefer nano it's easier to use. You can install it through the community package center

vi /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

or

nano /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

comment out/delete

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add

Save the file. You are done. Preferably reboot.

If you don't know what I am talking about then you shouldn't be tinkering with system files.

Update 9 is the devil :twisted:

After updating I did not have any network...

Had to go to serial console and downgrade to version 5.2.

after upgrading back to version 6 update8 with jun loader I noticed that my Realtek card

is not working anymore just my intel card.

I noticed that module r8168 is not loaded when DSM is done loading.

when I insmod the module I see eth2 with ifconfig -a but it has the same MAC address as eth0...

I tried setting MAC address through the GRUB config, but with no avail...

The module will not self load on boot only manually and when i look at eth2 using

ifconfig -a it has the same MAC as eth0.

All was fine before update 9 :evil:

I need a lead on where can I change the MAC after boot and autoload the r8168 module on boot.

Jun please help.

** EDIT **

Kinda solved it.

1. removed any reference to MAC addresses from the GRUB config.

2. found out that "ifconfig eth2 up" brings up the device and it works.

3. created a startup script that will activate the module on boot and bring up the device.

admin@XXXXXX:~$ cat /usr/local/etc/rc.d/S99realtek_fix.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo "loading r8168 module"
insmod /usr/lib/modules/update/r8168.ko
echo "bringing device up"
ifconfig eth2 up

4. updated to Update 9 and it's works.

5. I will never EVER install updates when they come out, I will wait!

Hope this will help somene, And hope that a developer can figure out why is this

module and possibly other are not loading on boot.

Thanks Polanskiman for your help. I have to say all this is pretty new for me, so I'm not quite sure to understand it all. Any ways, I have nothing to lose since there's no data at all on my NAS for the moment. I'm learning and trying things with it before I transfer everything from my other computer to this NAS.

What are VI and Nano?I tried to read and search some information but couldn't find answers.

Also, when you say comment out/delete or add something in the script, I'm expecting to open a file to edit it (for example in NotePad++), but it's not the case since it is through SSH, I'm not quite sure to understand how it works. Can you clarify a little more please and send a screenshot of what I should expect?

As I said, all this is new stuff for me. Thanks a lot again :wink:

SSH with admin

input your password

elevate rights by doing:

sudo -i

input your password again

you are now root

edit the synoinfo.conf file with vi or nano if you have it installed. I prefer nano it's easier to use. You can install it through the community package center

vi /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

or

nano /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

comment out/delete

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add

Save the file. You are done. Preferably reboot.

If you don't know what I am talking about then you shouldn't be tinkering with system files.

Also, when you say comment out/delete or add something in the script, I'm expecting to open a file to edit it (for example in NotePad++), but it's not the case since it is through SSH, I'm not quite sure to understand how it works. Can you clarify a little more please and send a screenshot of what I should expect?

Oh dear! You are at the start of a steep learning curve.

So.When you use SSH, you are opening a remote console onto the linux system that underlies DSM. vi and nano are standard linux editors which run on that box and you can use either of them to change one of the files that DSM uses. It's a matter of personal preference which one you choose. If your favourite is not already installed, you can always install your editor of choice.

You can also look at WinSCP - a program to install on your windows machine which will allow you to connect to DSM and browse to the files you want to edit. You can right click on the files and then use Notepad++ as your editor. WinSCP will download the file to your Windows machine, allow you to edit, and when you save, put it back on the Xpenology box.

Apart from the instructions which say this is the file to edit and these are the changes to make, this is all standard linux stuff, so you should be able to find help on how to do it in that community

Hello, im using juns loader for a while and it works perfect. Now i wanted to migrate to btrfs raid 5 but when i make an raid set it fails. I read that btrfs had to be working with juns loader, is there something i had to do? A setting in the loader or has it have to work immediatly?

I used the search but this is not working good.

Problem with adding BTRFS option and using Jun's loader v1.01: as soon as I edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf. delete supportraidgroup="yes" and add support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes", then I cannot add/change the volume anymore and when I reboot the system it will cannot be accessed anymore (no IP nr).

Anybody know what I might have done wrong? I login via SSH (admin + root password, then sudo su - and again password).

Hello, im using juns loader for a while and it works perfect. Now i wanted to migrate to btrfs raid 5 but when i make an raid set it fails. I read that btrfs had to be working with juns loader, is there something i had to do? A setting in the loader or has it have to work immediatly?

I used the search but this is not working good.

That's what I said too. BTRFS volume creation fails on SHR disk groups too. Tried both Jun's and Quicknick's. But some are saying it does work in Jun's. Can't say what I am missing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

does anyone can share the DSM_DS3615xs_8451.Update8.pat or DSM_DS3615xs_8451.Update6.pat update

and do not install DSM_DS3615xs_8451.Update9.pat it will kill your network card and you have to reinstall it

nice try synology :smile:

thanks

It's on the official Synology website.

https://usdl.synology.com/download/DSM/ ... date_pack/

Pick the right version (8451-8) and download the 3615xs pat file.

I know that most times TurboBoost is not working.

I'm also active in the Hackintosh scene and it was a problem there too.

They made so called dsdt and ssdt files to tell the system what the possible CPU (and Boost) frequencies are. Maybe that's possible for DSM to since it's Linux based?

Edit:

Link to some information

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guid ... sdt.52683/

Update 9 was installed successfully. (DSM on VMware Workstation with Jun's Mod V1.0)

The only problem was that no IP was assigned via DHCP after the update! I also tried several hard resets without success.

My solution was to change the Network Device in the .vmx file from e1000 to e1000e!

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"

Update 9 was installed successfully. (DSM on VMware Workstation with Jun's Mod V1.0)

The only problem was that no IP was assigned via DHCP after the update! I also tried several hard resets without success.

My solution was to change the Network Device in the .vmx file from e1000 to e1000e!

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"

Was your jun package not set to use e100e already then?! Mine was, and update still fubarred.

Do you see that your DHCP server assinged an IP address to your VM?

Thanks Marigo , with this sentence you pointed me on good direction , i installed pfSense as a VM which served as a DHCP server and then i could install Xpenology

What i did not tell is i rent a dedicated server on which i installed Proxmox and i struggled a lot to get Xpen to work

Tried to install update 9 on a fresh bare metal install (N54L) using 1.01 loader but system was not getting an IP anymore. Have now downloaden all individual updates and started to install from Update 1 until Update 8. Everything seemed to go okay. Will not try Update 9.

Btrfs is also avaulable now. Apparantly btrfs becomes available after these updates.

Have 4 disks volume from a DS414 with SHR on ext4 (?). I assume I cannot put those in my N54L with Jun's 1.01 loader as it does not support SHR?

Edited by Guest