XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

hi

i did a clean install on esxi 6.5 hp gen8

after opening the vm, adding a new harddisk 100gb ssd, upon first boot, i can connect to the webinterface, i select the part file to install

but it gives me error 35 , format disk error...

i think the installer tries to format the boot disk, and not the new added disk ... :smile:

how can i make sure the pat installation goes to the new disk instead of the bootdisk?

thnx

To add.....

both HP N40l and Gen8 Microservers were upgraded from "XPEnoboot 5.2-5967.1" to "Jun v1.01" boot loader

and when they booted up it asked if i wanted to migrate which i did, it then asked for a PAT file which i gave the latest PAT from Synology site for DSM DS3615xs

and both servers upgraded seamlessly from DSM 5.2 to DSM 6.0.

I obviously burnt the new image file to my boot USB's for both servers and set the VID, PID of each stick and the respective MAC's for each server.

It worked great.

Oh and on the HP n40l i chose to boot the AMD option which works great!!

Hi guys,

could someone please help me with this.

i bought this motherboard here: https://world.taobao.com/item/38675467623.htm and everything seems to be working fine with 5.2 but when i tried to upgrade to 6.0.2 the NIC doesn't work. I have been waiting for about 40 mins and it doesn't show up on my network. is the NIC not supported by 6.0.2? could someone please confirm.

many thanks in advance.

p/s: google translated specs of the mainboard:

Processor : Onboard Intel Baytrail Celeron J1900 processor , quad-core 2.0-2.42Ghz, 3M cache , power 10W ;

Chipset : Onboard Intel Celeron J1900 chipset ;

Display Interface : Dual HDMI output, support synchronous or asynchronous dual display output ;

Display performance : integration . Intel HD Graphics graphics core ;

Memory : 1 * DDR3 , maximum support 8GB;

Power : ATX power supply ;

Storage : 12 * Serial II ATA interfaces , supports 6Gb / s;

1 * MINI-PCI E Interface (access MSATA plate) ;

Network : Onboard 2 * Intel I211AT 1000 BaseT LAN, support diskless boot , Wake on LAN ;

Sound : Realtek ALC662 chip to provide 6 -channel output

Watchdog : Support

Backplane Interface :

1 * HDMI

1 * VGA

2 * RJ-45 1000M

4 * USB 2.0

1 * Audio out

Built-in interfaces :

1 * USB2.0 pin support 2 Ge USB 2.0;

1 * CHA FAN power connector *

1 * 30Pin 2.0 SATA_LED pin;

1 * FP_AUDIO pin;

1 * 2Pin 2.54 LAN_LED pin;

1 * COM2 pin ;

The BIOS: the AMI 64M the BIOS, the ACPI Supported , supports boot function calls

Temperature : Working: -0 to +70 degrees Celsius

Storage: In 10 to 60 degrees Celsius

Humidity: 10% to 90%

Plate : the MINI-ITX ( 180mm * 180mm )

hi

i did a clean install on esxi 6.5 hp gen8

after opening the vm, adding a new harddisk 100gb ssd, upon first boot, i can connect to the webinterface, i select the part file to install

but it gives me error 35 , format disk error...

i think the installer tries to format the boot disk, and not the new added disk ... :smile:

how can i make sure the pat installation goes to the new disk instead of the bootdisk?

thnx

The same for me. Could someone please help?

So has anyone running VmWare successfully updated from DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2 to the latest version?

So many pages and after reading about 10 of them i havent found many people using ESXi

If you were able to update, let me know how you accomplished this please.

Looking for a little advice for properly mapping sata controllers/devices w/ my bare metal setup.

Mobo GIGABYTE GA-X170-WS details:

6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3 0~5), by Chipset

2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3 6~7), supporting AHCI mode only, by ASMedia ASM1061 chip

SAS Card details:

SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA

My intention is to use 4x SATA ports from the chipset, 0x ports from the ASMedia controller and 8x SATA ports from the SUPERMICRO card. The problem is, onboard ports 0/1 are disabled when a PCI Express card is in the x4 slot which I am using for a quad port Intel NIC. So, this poses a problem as SATA ports 0/1 (1,2 for DSM) will be blank.

Is there any way I can make this scenario work with append SataPortMap=XX? I haven't seen anything in the thread reference skipping the first 2x SATA ports.

Looking for a little advice for properly mapping sata controllers/devices w/ my bare metal setup.

Mobo GIGABYTE GA-X170-WS details:

6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3 0~5), by Chipset

2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3 6~7), supporting AHCI mode only, by ASMedia ASM1061 chip

SAS Card details:

SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA

My intention is to use 4x SATA ports from the chipset, 0x ports from the ASMedia controller and 8x SATA ports from the SUPERMICRO card. The problem is, onboard ports 0/1 are disabled when a PCI Express card is in the x4 slot which I am using for a quad port Intel NIC. So, this poses a problem as SATA ports 0/1 (1,2 for DSM) will be blank.

Is there any way I can make this scenario work with append SataPortMap=XX? I haven't seen anything in the thread reference skipping the first 2x SATA ports.

Looks like this card (SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA) isn't currently supported so I'll swap that out with an LSI model. Regardless, I still need to find a way for onboard Sata ports 0/1 to be ignored.

So has anyone running VmWare successfully updated from DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2 to the latest version?

So many pages and after reading about 10 of them i havent found many people using ESXi

If you were able to update, let me know how you accomplished this please.

For esxi users : here you have an ovf vm export that will make the install easier:

https://mega.nz/#!Vk40FCDT!r2ertz7Eyoeh ... W2p1GLgzfs

All you need to do after import is to add your drives and edit ram/cpu to your needs (comes with 2x2cpu and 4 Gb ram), then start the vm and continue with the install process. It will start with the vmware boot option automatically, and after the install you will not see the 50mb boot drive. I didn't edit a thing in the cfg (vid or pid)

This is the loader on the first page of this topic, latest version, I just made it more easy to use it for esxi users. Here is the process:

I had to import the original vm in VMware Workstation Pro (I had errors at import in esxi 6.5), and chage to hw version 10, export to new ovf; imported the new ovf in esxi, edited a few things, start once to retain the vmware boot option, changed the boot drive to non-persistent (it's hidden in xpeno now) and exported again to the ovf in the link for easy future use. I hope it will be useful to others to; if I messed up something let me know, for me and a few others this worked nice.

Edit:

On my gen8 microserver I don't have and can't add an usb3 controller; this could be a poor choice at vm guest os version, I put "other 3.x or later linux x64", did not tried any other way yet.

Edit 2:

The usb3 issue is not present on the atached hw 10 ovf(the one in the link), you can add usb3 controller in it; my xpeno install is on a vm with hw 13 and that is why I can't add an usb3 controller.

Hi,

I have used "koroziv" ovf on EXSI 6.0 with no issues.

My current version of DSM : DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 7

how to use on proxmox? since it requires .iso to boot?

thank for any reply

Create a new VM in Proxmox. I used a IDE (0) harddisk (raw) device with 1GB storage. 512MB RAM, No CD-ROM, network E1000.

When the VM is created, use the "synoboot.img" located in this thread and use it to boot the VM. rename the "synoboot.img" to the IDE disk.

example: When VM "112" is created

/var/lib/vz/images/112# ls
synoboot.img  vm-112-disk-1.raw
/var/lib/vz/images/112# cp synoboot.img vm-112-disk-1.raw

Boot the VM and search for the installer via the Synology Assistant. Manual install the DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat

After installing I could apply update 7 via the webinterface at this time of writing.

i have a question about the grub menu

upon boot you can choose baremetal or esxi

do you need to choose esxi when you have an exsi system? or only the first time on install?

or if you have exsi, do you always need to choose exsi in the grub menu upon boot?

always exsi !

i have a question about the grub menu

upon boot you can choose baremetal or esxi

do you need to choose esxi when you have an exsi system? or only the first time on install?

or if you have exsi, do you always need to choose exsi in the grub menu upon boot?

always exsi !

Whats the difference? Seems it also works on baremetal..?

I have no sata drives and only external usb 3 hard drives. Is it possible to make the synology software think that the external usb is the sata drive so that it can put the software on the external hard drive? I am looking through the forums and see something about changing the info.cfg for usb and sata but I am not sure where else to look.

Create a new VM in Proxmox. I used a IDE (0) harddisk (raw) device with 1GB storage. 512MB RAM, No CD-ROM, network E1000.

When the VM is created, use the "synoboot.img" located in this thread and use it to boot the VM. rename the "synoboot.img" to the IDE disk.

example: When VM "112" is created

/var/lib/vz/images/112# ls
synoboot.img  vm-112-disk-1.raw
/var/lib/vz/images/112# cp synoboot.img vm-112-disk-1.raw

Boot the VM and search for the installer via the Synology Assistant. Manual install the DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat

After installing I could apply update 7 via the webinterface at this time of writing.

Ola Marigo

Can you expand a little bit please the details of your VM ?

i have hard time trying to achieve a Xpen VM in proxmox , i did what you said but it does not work , i can boot the VM , i choosed the last entry then i can see "booting the kernel." then nothing else , i expect to see more (i already run Xpen on BareMetal and on ESX) , i have another VM (NAT mode) and i can't find anything wth Synology Assistant

Any help regarding Xpen on Proxmox would be really much appreciated :smile:

Thanks

XT