XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

I tried using the latest loader release on bare metal without luck, can't find it on network, I tried the internal quad 210 nic and pci-e quad intel neither get recognized on prior loaders either and finally tried the single intel that works on jun 1.01 loader but don't seem to work on the latest loader at least for me.

any suggestions?

thanks

I had the same problem this is the motherboard that I'm using https://www.supermicro.com/products/mot ... 0SLH-F.cfm.

I did some digging thru the forum and what you need to do is to edit grub.cfg. Apparently you have to load ramdisk.lzma first.

Open grub.cfg and look for initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd reaplce with initrd $img/$extra_initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma. I had to replace ramdisk.lzma with the latest one. Just put ramdisk.lzma into image\DS3615xs\. I couldn't find synology via http://find.synology.com so just ad :5000 at the end of ip.

Worked like a charm, was able to upgrade to the latest dsm without issues. Also if you wish to gain SHR you need to edit synoinfo.conf. I found this guide i'ts not in English but it will do

http://www.hdvietnam.com/threads/nang-c ... c.1269562/

-=SUCCES: BAREMETAL N54L/4HDD/4G=-

Followed the instructions here: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100

Changes:

Changed the vid= using my own USB VID

Changed the pid= using my own USB PID

Changed the sn= using my own generated SN

Changed the mac1= using my own generated MAC address

Changed set timeout='1' to set timeout='10'

Changed set default='0' to set default='3' For default AMD bootoption

appended SataPortMap=4

After boot I went to find.synology.com

Updated from 5.2.5592 to 6.0.2.8451

After reboot I lost my static ip settings. I needed to set this manual again.

I updated to Update 5 without any problems.

I also saw Synology finally released Source code for branche 8451. https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology%20NAS%20GPL%20Source/8451branch/bromolow-source/

Congratulations! actually, I have one BAREMETAL N54L, updated to 6.0.2 update 5, too.

but met some problems:

1) /etc/synoinfo.cfg, changed:

internalportcfg=“0x00f"

esataportcfg=“0xffff0"

usbportcfg=“0xf00000"

but esata disk not appears.

"appended SataPortMap=4" would help this? any grub.cfg sample lines? thanks.

2) missing button.ko & acpid, can not power off when press power button.

3) missing powernow-k8.ko, can not power saving.

...maybe need recompiled, still found no source.

any help?

Thx a lot for this great forum and tutorials

finally got my nas running..

- jun´s loader v1.01 (DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 5)

- Asrock J4205-ITX J4205 Apollolake SOD/U3/4S3 M-ITX

- 8GB (1x 8192MB) HyperX Impact Black DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM CL9 Single

- 2x WD Red 3TB

- Mach Xtreme Technology Ultra MX-ES MXUB3SESU-16G 16GB USB-Stick, USB 3.0

- Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO1000 Ethernet Adapter CT with flashed MAC address

- PicoPSU-90 12V DC-DC ATX mini-ITX 0-90W power supply with Salcar 72W Transformator (12V 6A)

- Raijintek Metis Mini-ITX case with Noctua NF-S12A FLX fan

i would also ask like hawie if anybody please could help with this:

- hdd hibernation

- Power button shutdown

- auto shutdown when no access / power safe

i´ve read most of the post and first of all tried this http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=75406#p75404

with no success. unzipped it an copied all files to their specific folders. no way

very important information for me, thanks.

Power button shutdown works now.

FYI:

sudo -i
cd /
tar zxvf power-off-repacked-for-dsm602.tar.gz
reboot

file attached, with minor fix.

mega.nz not working. please access this link instead:

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1miFcas4

Edited by Guest

I tried using the latest loader release on bare metal without luck, can't find it on network, I tried the internal quad 210 nic and pci-e quad intel neither get recognized on prior loaders either and finally tried the single intel that works on jun 1.01 loader but don't seem to work on the latest loader at least for me.

any suggestions?

thanks

I had the same problem this is the motherboard that I'm using https://www.supermicro.com/products/mot ... 0SLH-F.cfm.

I did some digging thru the forum and what you need to do is to edit grub.cfg. Apparently you have to load ramdisk.lzma first.

Open grub.cfg and look for initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd reaplce with initrd $img/$extra_initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma. I had to replace ramdisk.lzma with the latest one. Just put ramdisk.lzma into image\DS3615xs\. I couldn't find synology via http://find.synology.com so just ad :5000 at the end of ip.

Worked like a charm, was able to upgrade to the latest dsm without issues. Also if you wish to gain SHR you need to edit synoinfo.conf. I found this guide i'ts not in English but it will do

Which ramdisk.lzma are you referring to as the latest?

any suggestions?

thanks

Sorry I did't typed it correctly it's https://mega.nz/#F!Oc8TCLgD!IiullNuGs95 ... w!qVVE2RSa

Sorry I did't typed it correctly it's https://mega.nz/#F!Oc8TCLgD!IiullNuGs95 ... w!qVVE2RSa

How did you modify the img file to add the newer ramdisk.lzma?

Worked perfectly on N54L from 5.0 on Nanoboot.

Thanks you very much.

Just one thing, i have two Network card, one integrated, worked.

And another on pci-e port, and nothing...

I see on the interface, but when i plug the cable, cannot ping....

It's RTL8111 chipset...

Maybe i forgot something ???

EDIT:

It's worked perfectly, i made a misstake....

I use the same MAC than my other NAS, and with the rule on my router for this mac, the same IP was set...

So IP address was in conflict and the new Synology was not been reachable... I saw the problem when i plugged two network card in same time.

So any problem for me with N54L and 6x2To.

Congratulations.

PS: I made Update 6.

Edited by Guest

Ive installed it on one box, but im not sure if im doing it right or not.

I want to run ESXi and xpenology as a VM on a HP Gen8 microserver.

Would I just create a new VM, then mount the synoboot.VMDK and boot off that and it will work?

Do I need to change the VID/PID and SN/MAC if im using ESXi, and if I do, do I need to get the VID/PID of the USB that ESXi runs on?

Im confused, so any help would be great. Thanks!

I just got it finally working and you have to put the VMDK and IMG file in the same datastore folder for it to work. I do see the 50MB drive now as a HDD in DSM and think I need to edit the grub file to hide it from there. But, don't know how to get the correct VID/PID :wink:

For now, i only have 4 real disks so, no issue of having an extra drive in there.

I am glad to see someone using the same setup as I do, and although I didn't get much respond when I faced the 50MB drive issue I solved it eventually by keep digging the web and trial n error. And I am here to provide a solution so you can save some time, and to make my 2 days of digging around more worthy! lol And I must say I don't like being asked to look up old post when I posted a question, but I do feel that it is more annoying if the same questions comes up every 4~5 pages. So please try your best to use the search function or take your time to read through the entire thread.

I am confused. Do you mean that we still need to use a physical USB to boot from a VM environment to get rid of the 50MB hdd? In 5.2 age, I remembered I don't see this boot drive under DSM, yet I was booting from the vmdk directly.

Could it be the rmmod / mod_del doesn't work in this loader?

I am okay to leave this hdd in the system but it is annoying that it generate smart error once every few seconds.

I am confused. Do you mean that we still need to use a physical USB to boot from a VM environment to get rid of the 50MB hdd? In 5.2 age, I remembered I don't see this boot drive under DSM, yet I was booting from the vmdk directly.

I am okay to leave this hdd in the system but it is annoying that it generate smart error once every few seconds.

You don't need to use USB drive for bootloading into xpenology under esxi. That is just the way I wanted it to work, so to a) save space on my SSD even though it is only few hundred MBs, b) making use of the already there internal usb port, in fact I even use the MircoSD slot for running esxi, c) in relation to previous point, booting from USB drive means I could easily backup and replace bootloader in case anything went wrong.

The entire concept of my setup is to isolate Xpenology as much as possible from the other VMs on the same Gen8 physical machine, so to up the reliability and increase revival chance. To do so I also passthrough the entire B120i (ran in AHCI mode) for Xpenology use only; that way the drives connected to B120i works just as a proper Synology drive without the layer of vmdk or use of RDM. Touch wood, if my Gen8 decide to not work, I can still unplug my drives and use Linux to read all data directly. This is abit off topic but I hope you get the idea.

Now I know there are ways to overcome the 50MB issue, especially when bootloader running from vmdk on SSD and such. Mine is just a way that I worked out and find suitable for my requirement. I think there are still things that I could fine tune, but my xpenology is running smooth and stable that I would rather stick with it for now. A side note that I happened to try upgrading my esxi 6 to 6.5 yesterday and for some reason it didn't work out well. I could not downgrade from 6.5 to 6 either, so I did a reinstallation of esxi 6. From this exercise, I have been able to add my xpenology back to esxi easily and everything runs as if I never upgraded; that proofs the reliability that I am after.

Well, good to hear that it has started to "work perfectly". But the installation instructions does not.

How to update from DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5, to the latest DSM version? Running it on ESXi / VMware. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't want to read 160+ pages with 1600+ posts.

You don't need to use USB drive for bootloading into xpenology under esxi. That is just the way I wanted it to work, so to a) save space on my SSD even though it is only few hundred MBs, b) making use of the already there internal usb port, in fact I even use the MircoSD slot for running esxi, c) in relation to previous point, booting from USB drive means I could easily backup and replace bootloader in case anything went wrong.

The entire concept of my setup is to isolate Xpenology as much as possible from the other VMs on the same Gen8 physical machine, so to up the reliability and increase revival chance. To do so I also passthrough the entire B120i (ran in AHCI mode) for Xpenology use only; that way the drives connected to B120i works just as a proper Synology drive without the layer of vmdk or use of RDM. Touch wood, if my Gen8 decide to not work, I can still unplug my drives and use Linux to read all data directly. This is abit off topic but I hope you get the idea.

Now I know there are ways to overcome the 50MB issue, especially when bootloader running from vmdk on SSD and such. Mine is just a way that I worked out and find suitable for my requirement. I think there are still things that I could fine tune, but my xpenology is running smooth and stable that I would rather stick with it for now. A side note that I happened to try upgrading my esxi 6 to 6.5 yesterday and for some reason it didn't work out well. I could not downgrade from 6.5 to 6 either, so I did a reinstallation of esxi 6. From this exercise, I have been able to add my xpenology back to esxi easily and everything runs as if I never upgraded; that proofs the reliability that I am after.

This seems like a good configuration for a virtualised Xpenology build. Worthy of detailed tutorial in its own thread imho.

Couldn't you image your ESXI installation to an external drive prior to an update so you have an easy rollback path if some show stopping issue arises? If the image had everything you need to get back Xpenology and your primary OS instance recovery time would be rapid, plus you would have your important stuff back ready to work with, without too much effort.

The entire concept of my setup is to isolate Xpenology as much as possible from the other VMs on the same Gen8 physical machine, so to up the reliability and increase ....

Thank you very much for the informations! I have a similar setup but I want give the additional Dell H200 (flashed to IT-Mode) to the xpenology-vm. I am currently on bare metal under DSM 5.2 (with Virtualbox on top) which is rock stable.

So it is the third time I read that there are issues with Esxi 6.5 and the Gen 8 Microserver. I will stay at my current setup and read on how the things will go. As DSM 6 aren't able to run Virtualbox I must change my whole setup.

Hopefully there will be a future solution for Esxi 6.5 and the Gen 8 (fingers crossed).

Thanks to everyone for the new loader.

I have read this thread several times over the last few weeks and haven't seen any mention of hibernation issues. Does the current loader allow for HDD hibernation and auto poweroff?

Has the 5.2-5967 issue carried over to the DSM 6 loader? OR is it just me?

Thanks

HDD Hibernation does appear to be an issue for me too both SATA and USB 3.0 on my Skylake system. I remember Hibernation working using Quicknick's 2.2 loader.

My mobo nic I211 not working with Jun loader. So I build esxi 6 with vcenter and configured the lacp on vds. However, when I boot the loader on the on lacp uplink it doesn't work. I think dsm don't support it. But if I use only a vmnet for 1 nic then is working.

Anyone have experience on this? How can I solve this?

Hi i want to ask you, after a succesfull installation of v6.0.2 to "Brix n2807" (before with XPEnoboot 5.2-5544.5 i had no problem at all for mounths) my disk on is recognized and on storage manager i get the full capacity of the disk and initialized but when i try to create a volume i get the message

"There is no RAID Group in your system, please go to RAID Group tab to create a new RAID Group first." idont have raid controler noither with XPEnoboot 5.2-5544.5 did anything further.

Please guide me

PS Can anyone tell me a way to clone the working system of XPEnoboot 5.2-5544.5 to a bigger HDD with no data loss.

Thanks in Advance

Nick

nikkpap@gmail.com

To hide the boot drive in xpeno vm (esxi) go to vm settings and set the boot drive to non-persistent. Do this only after you finished to edit the grub.cfg if needed.

For bare-metal xpeno you need to have the corect vid and pid for your usb stick in the grub.cfg.

I just did everything again and set the boot drive to non-persistent before the first boot.

It just did not work.

I just tried booting the image (synoboot.img written to a USB stick using Win32DiskImager and Rufus) on a brand new ASRock J3455M (UEFI).

Screen stays blank after POST, not even grub starts.

Same stick formatted as NTFS and EFI file from Windows 10 in /EFI/BOOT/--> OK.

Same stick on old laptop using BIOS --> grub starts just fine.

Haven't had an EFI based system before, am I missing something?

Edit:

Had to enable the "Compatibility Support Module" in the UEFI menu. Now it boots happily and shows up in the Synology Assistant. Yay!

I just tried booting the image (synoboot.img written to a USB stick using Win32DiskImager and Rufus) on a brand new ASRock J3455M (UEFI).

Screen stays blank after POST, not even grub starts.

Same stick formatted as NTFS and EFI file from Windows 10 in /EFI/BOOT/--> OK.

Same stick on old laptop using BIOS --> grub starts just fine.

Haven't had an EFI based system before, am I missing something?

Edit:

Had to enable the "Compatibility Support Module" in the UEFI menu. Now it boots happily and shows up in the Synology Assistant. Yay!

Does the onboard NIC also work or did you add a NIC?