XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

You need to add rmmod=ata_piix to the grub/syslinux config on the kernel line.

That's why you're seeing the boot loader as a drive in DSM when using ESXI. I'm not sure why the people creating VDMK's aren't doing that step. This will also prevent DSM from writing over your bootloader disk when doing a fresh install, and formatting blank drives on initial installs.

You need to add rmmod=ata_piix to the grub/syslinux config on the kernel line.

That's why you're seeing the boot loader as a drive in DSM when using ESXI. I'm not sure why the people creating VDMK's aren't doing that step. This will also prevent DSM from writing over your bootloader disk when doing a fresh install, and formatting blank drives on initial installs.

Is this step somewhere in any tutorial? At the moment I've got the boot disk mounted but, only a grub.cfg in there no syslinux to be found. And what do you mean with "on the kernel line"?

-=SUCCES: BAREMETAL N54L/4HDD/4G=-

Followed the instructions here: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100

Changes:

Changed the vid= using my own USB VID

Changed the pid= using my own USB PID

Changed the sn= using my own generated SN

Changed the mac1= using my own generated MAC address

Changed set timeout='1' to set timeout='10'

Changed set default='0' to set default='3' For default AMD bootoption

appended SataPortMap=4

After boot I went to find.synology.com

Updated from 5.2.5592 to 6.0.2.8451

After reboot I lost my static ip settings. I needed to set this manual again.

I updated to Update 5 without any problems.

I also saw Synology finally released Source code for branche 8451. https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology%20NAS%20GPL%20Source/8451branch/bromolow-source/

Congratulations! actually, I have one BAREMETAL N54L, updated to 6.0.2 update 5, too.

but met some problems:

1) /etc/synoinfo.cfg, changed:

internalportcfg=“0x00f"

esataportcfg=“0xffff0"

usbportcfg=“0xf00000"

but esata disk not appears.

"appended SataPortMap=4" would help this? any grub.cfg sample lines? thanks.

2) missing button.ko & acpid, can not power off when press power button.

3) missing powernow-k8.ko, can not power saving.

...maybe need recompiled, still found no source.

any help?

Congratulations! actually, I have one BAREMETAL N54L, updated to 6.0.2 update 5, too.

but met some problems:

1) /etc/synoinfo.cfg, changed:

internalportcfg=“0x00f"

esataportcfg=“0xffff0"

usbportcfg=“0xf00000"

but esata disk not appears.

"appended SataPortMap=4" would help this? any grub.cfg sample lines? thanks.

2) missing button.ko & acpid, can not power off when press power button.

3) missing powernow-k8.ko, can not power saving.

...maybe need recompiled, still found no source.

any help?

I used SataPortMap=51 with my N40L and 6 disks, so eSATA disk appears and can be used like an internal.

Scal,

Please tell us what you are doing.

Are you installing on a new system or upgrading an existing system?

What actions did you perform?

At what step do you get the messages?

Thanks

Bill

Hello Bill,

Thank you for answering me. Sorry for my english (google translate :sad:)

Yes I decided to update 6.02 and I have an error message

error: failure reading sector 0x363d from 'hd0'

error: failure reading sector 0x3561 from 'hd0'

Screen will stop updating shortly, please ope http://find.synology.com to continue

Press any key to continue...

Test with 1 hdd 80 go

Test with 4 hdd 500 go

I don't understand...

thks

Available DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 6

Version: 6.0.2-8451-6

(2016/12/09)

Important Note

The update is expected to be available for all regions within the next few days, although the time of release in each region may vary slightly.

This update will restart your Synology NAS.

Fixed Issues

Fixed an issue where under certain circumstances, new snapshots could not be taken.

Fixed an issue where DSM might fail to access the internet when IPv6 Gateway address is manually set.

Fixed a security vulnerability regarding Linux kernel: CVE-2016-8655.

Fixed a security vulnerability regarding ImageMagick: CVE-2016-8707

Installed update 6 on a test VM machine without issues.

q8IxPNXl.jpg

For esxi users : here you have an ovf vm export that will make the install easier:

https://mega.nz/#!Vk40FCDT!r2ertz7Eyoeh ... W2p1GLgzfs

All you need to do after import is to add your drives and edit ram/cpu to your needs (comes with 2x2cpu and 4 Gb ram), then start the vm and continue with the install process. It will start with the vmware boot option automatically, and after the install you will not see the 50mb boot drive. I didn't edit a thing in the cfg (vid or pid)

This is the loader on the first page of this topic, latest version, I just made it more easy to use it for esxi users. Here is the process:

I had to import the original vm in VMware Workstation Pro (I had errors at import in esxi 6.5), and chage to hw version 10, export to new ovf; imported the new ovf in esxi, edited a few things, start once to retain the vmware boot option, changed the boot drive to non-persistent (it's hidden in xpeno now) and exported again to the ovf in the link for easy future use. I hope it will be useful to others to; if I messed up something let me know, for me and a few others this worked nice.

Edit:

On my gen8 microserver I don't have and can't add an usb3 controller; this could be a poor choice at vm guest os version, I put "other 3.x or later linux x64", did not tried any other way yet.

Edit 2:

The usb3 issue is not present on the atached hw 10 ovf(the one in the link), you can add usb3 controller in it; my xpeno install is on a vm with hw 13 and that is why I can't add an usb3 controller.

Edited by Guest

Hello Bill,

Thank you for answering me. Sorry for my english (google translate :sad:)

Yes I decided to update 6.02 and I have an error message

error: failure reading sector 0x363d from 'hd0'

Screen will stop updating shortly, please ope http://find.synology.com to continue

Press any key to continue...

Test with 1 hdd 80 go

Test with 4 hdd 500 go

I don't understand..

thks

I am confused about the last part where you say

Test with 1 hdd 80 go

Test with 4 hdd 500 go

Does this mean you always get the same message with the same error sectors if you put different drives in your box?

And does it say hd0 or md0. If it says md0, then you need to create the bootloader on another USB stick as yours is not working properly.

Hey guys, I'm new to XPEnology and Synology in general. I got everything working 100% on my little Skylake system including all the updates, thank you developers! :grin:

Was wondering how safe is it to roll with this custom boot-loader? Since the OS is stored on disk, is it just a matter of updating the boot-loader when the time comes?

Thanks!

Hi,

just a googleable note if somebody wants do a similar build as me. I did a successful bare-metal build using Jun's Mod V1.01 on the following hardware. I installed 6.02 successfully, the ensuing updates to 8451-update5 went smoothly.

ASrock E3C226D2i

Xeon E3-1230v3

16GB of DDR3 ECC Memory

I am also successfully using tvheadend and emby with a PCTV 461e USB stick without problems.

All C-States and P-states are enabled in the BIOS.

Hi,

is it possible for an experienced linux user to compile its own kernel for xpenology and is there some kind of documentation for that on how to do that? I am new to xpenology but I noticed some kernel settings which I would like to change (e.g. enabling intel_idle and others).

Regards

Edited by Guest

Hi,

just a googleable note if somebody wants do a similar build as me. I did a successful bare-metal build using Jun's Mod V1.01 on the following hardware. I installed 6.02 successfully, the ensuing updates to 8451-update5 went smoothly.

ASrock E3C226D2i

Xeon E3-1230v3

16GB of DDR3 ECC Memory

Do you use the OnBoard NIC?

I have an almost identic Board (E3C224D4i-14S) which also uses 2x Intel i210 NIC.

The loader 1.01 boots but I cannot find it afterwards, whether I use Synology Assistant or find.synology.com

Do you use the OnBoard NIC?

I have an almost identic Board (E3C224D4i-14S) which also uses 2x Intel i210 NIC.

The loader 1.01 boots but I cannot find it afterwards, whether I use Synology Assistant or find.synology.com

Hi,

yes, I am using the onboard nic (i210). Only change necessary so that the i210 works is described in this thread previously:

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=78729&hilit=i210#p78729